Higurashi

Is it good? I know it's past Halloween but I'm still in the mood for some horror shows and I've seen this one recommended a few times. What does Sup Forums think of it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=H4MVn0xh95c&list=RDkzOPJ8Kbxb8&index=12
youtube.com/watch?v=zt26CSwCNao
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Anime is shit
Manga is good
VN is great

Yes it is good. You gotta get though like almost 50 episodes for both seasons combined I think so it's quite the investment. But I assure you it's worth it.

Rika ruins any chance of it being good.

Higurashi is one of those series that I couldn't see basically forgotten in a few years at the time they aired, but here we are.
Maybe it was just the right VN at the right time, or maybe it's just that VN weren't that many or popular in the West back then. I remember the insane hype for Umineko and that stands even more forgotten.

Animation can be very rough but the voice acting and soundtrack is very good. But yeah, the manga and sound novel are far superior.

Play the fucking visual novel

It's a roller coaster of twists and emotions, I really enjoyed it when I watched it 10 years ago, the VNs are even better. Try and not get spoiled though, it'll ruin it.

Like all things, pretty sure the VN is best, but the anime makes things interesting in the way it shows different endings and routes. I still say give it a watch because for me, it kept me highly interested. heard s2 is purely fan service tho lol

so basically, if youre going anime route, stick to s1, dont spoil yourself, try to keep the giggles over the artwork down to a low

The second season isn't fanservice. It's part of Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai, the second visual novel; the second part of the story. There are no different "endings" or "routes" in the visual novel sense. It's a sound novel; they're all part of the story.

Don't spoil yourself? What?

It never gives you any clues and keeps introducing new plots. It all ties up and makes sense in the end, but it's impossible to predict what's happening and why.

I think he's mistaking season 2 for Higurashi Kira

That's awkward.

you retarded?

I liked the anime and the manga.

The anime nuke out a lot of content.

The manga is closer to the vn experience.

The soundtrack of the anime it's incredibly good though.

I like using this track as background music when i'm reading creepy short stories.
youtube.com/watch?v=H4MVn0xh95c&list=RDkzOPJ8Kbxb8&index=12

I think the time loops and Takano being the main villain was dumb decision.

Well it looks like most recommend the VN, but how is the anime? Is it a good adaptation or a horrid one?

Although the anime skims a lot of stuff from the VN, it stands well on its own. It's pretty good, despite its questionable animation.

first arc of the anime is top tier afterwards it gets ok(second season is trash)

The anime is legitimately scary. If you're into horror mystery, you won't regret watching it.

Is it good if you don't mind or don't care about reading the VN, although it becomes a little confusing in season two for anime onlys. The animation is honestly ugly, wich in my opinion contributes a lot in the horror aspect of the show and makes it more eerie plus the music is very atmosferic and the ambience helps you to get into the story and the characters with ease. It's really enjoyable and it's one of my favorites, try it.

>it is good
goddammit fixed

>spoil
He obviously meant reading spoilers.
I did that and it killed the show for me

Oh, I read it as "Don't spoil yourself by sticking to Season 1 and not watching Season 2 ever", which sounds pretty dumb.

I'm sorry to hear that user. Poor you.

Thanks. I'll watch the anime and if I like it enough I'll check out the VN too.

The anime will spoil the VN for you though. Either read the VN/manga or don't do anything

You're welcome, don't listen to the idiot above me. The VN is still enjoyable to read even if you already watched the anime, enjoy it~

>going through the vn for the first time
>halfway into Meakashi
>decide to watch the first few episodes of the anime to see some scenes I liked animated
>mfw I reach episode 5
I know I was retard for checking the anime before finishing the vn but still

Anime is great
VN is amazing

Go for it.

youtube.com/watch?v=zt26CSwCNao

Well done, you're now a certificate genius. Who would think switching between adaptations in the middle of the read is a good idea? dumbass

>heard s2 is purely fan service tho lol
What the fuck are you on about, it's the sequel to season 1.

You're thinking about the shitty OVAs.

>The animation is honestly ugly
The artstyle can get ugly but that's just art direction.

The animation in season 1 is mediocre but it's good in season 2.

Who the fuck told you Kai was fanservice?

HIGURASHI GA NAKU
AKAZU NO MORI DE
OTOMODORI WA
MOU DEKINAI...

I thought it was just DEEN being lazy, nevertheless I still think it did more good than harm. I remember that I was a little disappointed with the season two having more quality than the first one, I ended up missing the style.

Always found it fascinating how played backwards this song has a lot of shit going on, I guess the one that directed it tried to emulate those old ass urban myths about subliminal messages.

Satoko saying sorry to her brother, or the beginning, "you can't escape" and the ceiling closes

Well they do look ugly in season 2 when it's needed

Yeah, but it's not the same to look at the characters with another art style. It does lose a bit of the charm that the show was building on them, for me at least. It's not really a big deal, just a thought.

The Higurashi anime was well received, Umineko... less so.

I get what you mean but it's newer so it just looks a bit more modern, same happens in Shakugan no Shana or other shows at the time.