Death Parade

So this was amazing. Why did it bomb in Japan?

Also what did Sup Forums think of it when it aired?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=sXQV8aT2GNY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Also also, what do we think season 2 will cover?
I'm somewhat disappointed its getting a sequel, because the original series was a nice self contained story. Sure there were unanswered questions but that's half the fun.

It bombed because instead of being a psychological thriller it was a slice of life and not even a good one. The visuals, art, and OP was nice but everything else was lackluster.

>slice of life
Is that a pun?
I'm surprised anyone would expect a thriller considering the show's premise. It's clearly going for the more slow and restrained story telling than anything else.

I only remember Sup Forums discussing whether or not the wife at the beginning was a slut

Main good thing was the OP.
Bickering with Sup Forums about who did nothing wrong was fun.
Otherwise it was kind of shit.

Episodes 1 and 2 had a lot of rage-posting about cheating. Must have been 4-5 threads at least. Good times.

Dude, the hell you talking about? Death Parade for the most part was a self-contained story, all the story elements introduced in Billairds/Parade got resolved at the end of Parade. What sequel?

SoL Kyonigger tier drama at a slow pace and no plot direction like the typical Kyoanus nu-tr/a/sh. Tl;dr it was boring and shit.

Not who you're quoting, but I thought they introduced some new characters and some kind of backstory near the end...

I think it's a bit overrated. It was good, but not amazing.

Embarrassing.

Exactly, your garbage Kyoanus taste is embarrassing. If only you Kyosubhumans actually lived like normal functional people maybe you would acquire better taste.

Could you have worded that post in a more irritating way? You sound like you're from Sup Forums.

It had a great concept, setting, art, but the execution was meh all around. A (relatively) huge cast that barely saw any use, some weird conspiracy plotline that went nowhere, all in a pseudo-episodic format.

It was great. Sup Forums again's showing it's terrible taste for everything.

The first episode made the show seemed like it was going to be a Saw anime with supernatural elements. Then it become Bartender with supernatural elements and teenage drama. The OP makes the show seem like it was going to be a slice of life like Devil Is A Partimer! or Working!

What studio do you think produced Death Parade and realize that your sperging out is meaningless?

You should have seen enough anime by now that the OP is meaningless. You're on Sup Forums now. Run with the big dogs.

Ironic retardation is still retardation.

I want all these character reused in a simple slice of life with a happy ending.

I would watch that if Nona were the MC.

Exactly.

The art was great and it was extremely stylish, but the story was abysmal. Making an anime about the afterlife and writing it to be completely nihilistic is about the worst possible idea you could have. No matter how it ends, it's guaranteed to be unsatisfying. I'm not sure what the fuck they were thinking.

It's been a while since I watched it, but I recall the worldbuilding kind of sucked too. They introduced this afterlife system, but never elaborated on how it came to be, or why its able to get away with being so overall incompetent. How were they being overwhelmed by humans apparently dying too fast? How do they perceive time? Why do they apparently change the structure of management on occasion? Do new souls get created to replace the ones being thrown into the void?

It doesn't have to be all fun. It was well done and effective in delivering feelings, good stuff.

It was pretentious and unoriginal. Anyone who'd already seen Jigoku Shoujo got nothing out of it.

Yeah. That was it, tereible worldbuilding

We also discussed Buddhism.

Only watched it a few months ago.
Pretty good and didn't feel dragged out like a lot of these kind of anime.

The show has one of those " maybe i can even show this to people who dont like anime and... nah it's retarded" kind of plot

youtube.com/watch?v=sXQV8aT2GNY

>I'm not gonna make it
Is it almost over now?
Can't see the way to go...

The ending of episode 9 was, in my opinion, one of the best closures of an episode in anime. The ice skating scene in the last episode was also great.

100% agree

Nothing made any sense. Why did that loli girl put emotions in to decim? Why did she hide this fact from the old man? Why didn't the old man stop her when he found out even though he was upset with her? Why are these angels so terrible at their job if they determine weather a person's soul is damned for eternity?

It was a good looking show but the story was lacking.

How the hell did you think it was good? Production values were great but there was no plot.

Nee nee! Question about I think it was episode with the Doctor and his wife She lied about cheating on him and the baby not being his because she loved him right? How come she was the one who was sent to doll hell? The show was pretty depressing.

>but the story was abysmal
That's definitely not the reason why it bombed in Japan since they buy shows with complete garbage stories (or no stories) massively.

>this was amazing
Haha, fuck no. It was very shallow with what it was doing, and the conflict was laughable at times

>humanity is bad
>"no"

Just riveting writing, isn't it? Fuck me.

Because Decim fucked up. Which apparently happens a lot.

I thought it made plenty of sense. Assume the afterlife works like a sci-fi dystopia and everything looks normal. Nona trying to undermine Oculus, souls being put in robot (doll) bodies for judging. Heck, the Arbiters could be fresh souls put in robot bodies too--that's why they have no emotion until they "live" longer like Nona and her friend.

>Arbiters could be fresh souls put in robot bodies too
Looking back, they almost say exactly that.

Anything that could make the autists and sociopaths on Sup Forums question their moral boundaries is good writing. The only difference between you and the rest of the other sociopaths is that when you didn't feel anything you assumed it was bad instead of a fault within yourself.

Oh wait, they say arbiters are made from the souls of people sent to the void, stuffed in doll bodies.

I'd forgotten they spelled it out so clearly. That's some fun world building.

Not him, but I like you user.

It wasn't that good.

spook general

Death Billiards was better. Excusing the dead humans the anime series had too many irrelevant characters.

Is not moe enough

>Doesn't post best girl

i really, really enjoyed it

Seeing the arbiters mistakenly throw undeserving souls into an eternal hellhole was irritating as hell.

Absolute garbage compared to the original OVA.