Imperialism and Law in ancient China

Qin Dynasty

Who were Western parallels with the Qin Dynasty?
youtube.com/watch?v=K5UbnilpzXA

Is this where we garner the word China (Qin?)

Attached: Kuan-yan_bodhisattva,_Northern_Sung_dynasty,_China,_c._1025,_wood,_Honolulu_Academy_of_Arts.jpg (220x341, 22K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feilong
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Principles_of_the_People
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Principles_of_the_Peopl
twitter.com/AnonBabble

"n the Chinese dynasty (from 246 BC to 206 BC) that established the first centralized imperial government and built much of the Great Wall. Synonyms: Ch'in, Ch'in dynasty, Qin Type of: dynasty. a sequence of powerful leaders in the same family."

>Who were Western parallels with the Qin Dynasty?

Alexander's conquests. Although the empire fractured, Hellenic culture flourished for centuries in the region afterwards.

Qin collapsed after the Emperor died. However, the reforms and standardization during his reign led the following Han dynasty to become the definitive culture of Chinese people til this day.

>Is this where we garner the word China
yes

Thank you. What a great contribution of knowledge you have made.

Is Shi-Long correct for dragon in Mandarin do you know?

note Alexander towards the end of his life became increasingly megalomaniac and distrustful of his close friends. His death was very likely an assassination.

The Qin emperor also was increasingly paranoid due to multiple assassination attempts against him. The difference is Qin emperor survived long enough to enact reforms and solidify a new legal system.

Had Alexander survived a couple more decades, and solidified his new empire, Hellenic culture might have remained the definitive identity for the region for a lot longer, much like the Han.

Feilong (simplified Chinese: 飞龙; traditional Chinese: 飛龍; pinyin: fēilóng; Wade–Giles: fei lung; lit. "flying dragon")
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feilong

Dragon is just "Long" (silent g)

How fascinating! So imperialism is always accompanied by the legal facet of government expanding through foreign states.

Alexander is a fascinating character, an ancestor of Cleopatra mother of Caesarian.

I hear the 18th Dynasty of Egypt was initially more concerned with spiritualism than imperialism. What do you think of that?

Is Fei the flying part of winged or?

actually I don't know much about ancient Egypt, so I can't really comment, sorry :(

yes Fei 飞 means fly

That's quite alright! I find all ancient culture so fascinating. I love the fact there has been matriarchal rule of government in China as well as in ancient Egypt as well.

Beautiful art and language. Did you know mau is Egyptian for cat? Not unlike the miw, or mau in Chinese in some form, I read this - I believe it was an excerpt from Gardiner.

Thank you!

>飞

This symbol does look like a little dragon

Have you seen some of the ancient Chinese hieroglyph which are beautiful little pictures of birds, for example?

interesting, i never knew that

and yea, history is fascinating, actual events in history are so dramatic that fiction (like Game of Thrones lol) don't even come close in comparison to the real thing

yea, the older the characters are, the closer they look like the thing they're depicting

with two little wings on the back lol

Absolutely! Thanks for your contribution.

you're welcome friendo :)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Principles_of_the_People
Reminder that this is the future of China.

>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Principles_of_the_Peopl

election (選舉), recall (罷免), initiative (創制), and referendum (複決). These may be equated to "civil rights".

Late 19th/Early 20th century chinese political science can be a little awkward when translated into English.