Lord El Melloi II Case Files

Is Gray the best saberface?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/a/OikK0
imgur.com/a/adL5O
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I unironically like her more than the actual Sabers. I wish they hadn''t been so lazy and give her literally the same hairstyle.

Manga translations fucking when?

There's a manga?!

Two chapters already, check out around the 4-5th of the month.

imgur.com/a/OikK0

imgur.com/a/adL5O

>Waver is a Segafag

No translation?

That's why I was complaining, the LN that covers this first case is fully translated though.

My Fate/Type Moon knowledge is limited. So she's supposed to be Saber's descendant? How did she have children in the first place? Is that doujin about Saber growing a dick canon?

Did she want fuck waver too?.
For some wierd reason he is a sex symbol now.

I like this cover. The one in the back is Olga, right? I hope they give her more characterization than just killing her off in FGO

Not direct descendant, Arturia's relatives took the job of, supposedly, taking care of her grave and a certain relic of hers.

Gray is more like her great-great-great-etc grandniece. It's just anime genetics making her have literally the same face and hairstyle.

She shouldn't have been one, honestly. Case Files is pretty good all around in the variety of lore it tackles and interesting characters, it's a shame they had to include this shitty nu-Fate trope.

She isn't adding much to the story too, worst, it turn to shit the moment she play a part.

Really? I heard the latest one, where they go to the graveyard she came from, is pretty good. Probably thanks to Zepia.

Nah, there's like a 15 years age gap, that's forbidden.

>For some wierd reason he is a sex symbol now.

Even weirder than him being the sex symbol of the cloc tower is the fact that supposedly root focused female magi went through the trouble of voting him as the guy most girls want to fuck. Where ahs the serious interest in research gone? On top of that more and more people are starting to study modern "magecraft" since he arrived.

Fastwheels would weep at the current state of the association.

She makes for a good Watson, but her Arthur connection was unnecesary. It clearly was a blatant attempt to make use of their cashcow character when they decided to introduce a badass fighter co accompany Waver since he's weak as shit.

The true cancer is introducing flashy fight scenes in a detective manga.

Agreed. I'm not against fight scenes, but this is the perfect setting to make them more grounded and tactical, with interesting mage abilities countering each other.

Those do happen, but the action climax of volume 1 is a fucking beam clash straight out of Apocrypha. I mean, really? You get a chance for a spin-off about mages and other cool Nasuverse shit, and that's what you do? If you want to write about dumb Servant power levels, go do that instead.

>Posting the prologue since the manga skips it.

"Your master is truly the worst kind of Magus."

In a manner that was excessively spiteful and agitated, Luviagelita Edelfelt spat out those words.

Thinking it was a rather obvious assessment, it didn't occur to me to argue. Even if it had, I probably wouldn't have been able to say anything to refute the claim. That level of hostility filled the girl's voice, and prana far beyond hostility coursed through her arm. It flowed as if tracing a kind of pattern, and even now was howling with fangs bared.

Ah, of course, even I understood. It was a pattern called a Magic Crest. Bestowed upon a Magus, it was like an artificial organ, or so I had been taught. Passed down in old Magus Lineages like hers, in a sense it was the greatest heirloom, and the greatest curse. A fixated Mystery, passed down like a secret art.

On top of that, it was a form of magic that she was particularly skilled in, a spell known as the Gandr shot. Originally it was a weak curse that shot from the finger and caused only mild illness. In this case, where she was activating it through her Magic Crest, it could stop the heart, causing instant death, a technique known as a . With just a leisurely movement of her hand, someone like me with no resistance to magecraft would undoubtedly be easily annihilated.

Even so, strangely, I felt no fear.

"Your master is truly the worst kind of person."

Once more, as if to emphasize her point, the girl called out. I couldn't agree more. I would simply raise my hands in complete and utter agreement if I could. But, if I did so in a place like this, this beautiful girl would not approve. Instead, even if it was just quietly fanning the flames, I would use even this short meeting to try and make her understand.

"...I won't deny it."

Deciding to avoid the issue with ambiguity...

"Then why do you quietly follow someone like him?"

...I was immediately pressed for an answer.

It seemed if I gave another careless response, then the Gandr would come flying. With her magical ability, it would easily penetrate something even as solid as a brick.

"My master..."

As I spoke, a certain memory floated up in the back of my mind. I didn't know if it would qualify as an answer, but I started giving voice to it as it was anyway.

"...Once, my master got in a fight with a cat."

"A cat? Is this supposed to be a good story?"

"Perhaps. Taking up residence near a walking path, it was a stray cat that, by its bad behaviour, came to be hated by passers-by. At one point it attacked and bit my master's favourite boots, which bothered him to the point that he began to investigate a way to get revenge using magecraft. One day, that stray cat was hit by a vehicle of some sort."

It was probably hit some time in the middle of the night, and was discovered the next morning.

"It's face had been half smashed, and one of each of its fore- and hind-legs were torn to pieces. It was already unpleasant enough to look at before, but now it looked like nothing but a blood-stained lump of meat.

"Though those who walked by wouldn't come close to it, when my master arrived, he repeatedly started saying things like 'don't get run over here, you idiot.' Berating the cat that thought to cause problems for people even as it died, the people around who saw him only frowned and scowled."

"What's his problem?"

The girl's presence began to be mixed with anger.
For someone like me, who hadn't yet become used to living in London, I hadn't been sure how normal the response of those passers-by was. I knew my master was a bad person, but I had no idea as to what degree of bad he was.

"Nevertheless, my master then took the cat up, and held it in his arms thereafter."

"............"

"Feeding it some painkilling herbs, he took it back to his study, and spent close to half a day just holding it. Normally, he was very sensitive to even just getting his clothes dirty. At that time alone, with a mood similar to as if he had just spilled his soup, he held the cat until it breathed its last, and didn't leave its side until it was properly buried. Foregoing even his customary cigar, while covered in dirt and mud, he watched over its grave with a bored expression."

"...As expected, it wasn't a good story at all."

Pursing her cute lips, I heard her gentle whisper, but let it pass. Really, I didn't consider it a good story either. As someone who had been associated with death for an extended time, I found my master's behaviour to be far too sentimental. Walking on top of the earth or sleeping under it, there wasn't all that much of a difference anyways.

If there was, it was just that there were those who were supposed to be sleeping that were instead walking around.

Yes.

'I don't understand,' I said to my master.

"And my master replied, 'You don't need to understand.'"

"'You don't need to understand?'"

"Yes."

A small nod.

"Accordingly - 'such is just a trap of the mind. If you wish to follow the path of magecraft, you don't have time to get caught up in these kinds of things.' If you ask any student, you will probably get the same answer. For starters, if I had been a skilled Magus, healing those kinds of injuries should have been possible. For not getting there in time, the one who didn't have the necessary power was me, after all."

There was something wrong with that, as if it was giving up.
Of course there was something wrong with that, just accepting things the way they were.

How someone like my master became so sidetracked, even I didn't know. Somewhere in the space between a discerning heart and blind acceptance, something had become core to him. That much was clear, but what that something was, I could never figure out.

As a Magus, that could indeed be something terrible.
As someone beyond human, that could indeed be something logically unacceptable.

"Generally speaking, the feeling of satisfaction gained from saving something is simply a misrecognition of the heart. Even if you help someone, it's not like that helps you. And if it saves yourself, you can't know whether you really helped that person. Misunderstandings, miscommunications, disagreements, false understandings. This laughable repetition is what makes up the world we live in."

That's just a misunderstanding, my master had stated at the time. It was no more than self satisfaction - a defect of the human body.

"But even so, we live in that world of misunderstanding."

The eyebrows of the girl standing before me twitched.
In her light violet eyes, my own figure was being reflected.
My own eyes likely reflected her figure as well.

Yet, it was most definitely a different reflection than as one would see in the mirror. Because our hearts were not completely identical, even if the information received was the same, the understanding it produced would be different. Even if we saw the same thing, saw the same colour, had the same conversation, I couldn't say we would feel the same way.

Things in this world were all like that.

It wasn't limited to magecraft. It wasn't limited to
monsters
those beyond humans
. In a world of
the obvious
common sense
, it was something everyone understood.

If you said that misunderstandings, miscommunications, disagreements, and false understandings are what connected them, then...

"We are misrecognition. Our world itself is misunderstanding. We can experience a multitude of truths, not just one single reality. No matter how wise you are, or how much time you are given, you will never reach something like a single truth. Magi may just be those who continually reject that fact."

Speaking as if in self-deprecation, my master had pursed his lips at that.

He had finally realized that his words and the objective that all Magi pursued, known as the "Spiral of Origin," were in contradiction.

At the same time...after having parroted my master's words to this extent, I finally understood my reason for recalling those words.

"If you forget that, and recklessly purse a lone truth - My Lady, it would do you well to remember that that itself may truly be what makes the worst kind of person."

Whether his words were correct or not, I still did not know. To make that judgment, I was too close to my master, and the ordinary was too far separate from a Magus.

But, that was surely also true of that castle.

Misrecognition and misunderstanding.
Disagreement and false understanding.

Such a laughable repetition is what tied them to that castle.

Since long, long ago, to make what ought to be into a reality, they combined themselves into a single form. Like asking if nonexistent clothes suited them, with an existence like nonsensical fables, they compelled all people.

-So.

At least, let us tell this story.

For example, in a manner similar to the case files of a certain detective that lived on London's Baker Street.

I am not my master, nor am I a novelist, so it likely would not go all that well.

Even so, that was the only way I could resist the events unfolding within that castle.

Why the fuck is Melon II a detective? Isn't he a teacher?

He's a teacher but ends up working in mysteries, kind of like Professor Layton.

Since he's a scrub without talent for magic he compensates by studying so hard he can read magi like an open, which on one hand helps him as a teacher because he can easily tell where a student's talents and problems are, but on the other hand it creeps the shit out of proper magi because they breath secrecy, and when some faggot comes and after one look understand how your magic works it feels like a slap in the face.

I don't really think we needed another story centered around Waver though. Why did Nasu's writers all latch themselves to this character so much?

They latch themselves to any character with a fair amount of popularity. Welcome to the modern TM of eternal milking. Case Files is actually on the better side of it.

The underdog factor, effort vs talent theme, WaverxIskandar fujoshits, etc.

Also I guess even Nasu's followers can get tired of holy grails from time to time, so taking a well liked character to try and have a story centered on magus association business seemed like a good spinoff idea, to which I certainly agree.

And then they shoved Saber's descendant niece into it for maximun grail fights

Yeah, they just couldn't help it.

I don't fucking get Saber's popularity, I really fucking don't. She's as entertaining as watching paint dry and her stupid battle dress is painful to look at, yet she exploded in popularity

I think Nasu's viewpoint is that the Magus Association is a useful backdrop, but it's not really interesting enough to write a story around. Nasu's descriptions of the Magus Association and Magus life in general is one of a bunch of childish autists for whom meaningless and violent bloodshed is the norm and everyone's basically hostile towards one another and constantly try to undermine each other by default. Most magi just hole themselves in their homes and further their research until they die. So Nasu's treatment of the Association is that they make a very important part of the world, but they're not interesting enough to write a story about. There are interesting individuals, of course, but the system as a whole is one that is lacking in humanity or individuality.

So I guess when someone suggested to him that he should write a story that's less about "a physical god falling in love with a Japanese boy" or "the literal embodiment of the planet falls in love with a Japanese boy" or "the literal King of England falling in love with a Japanese boy" and more about the world of magi as a whole, he had no interest in doing so and just told one of his underlings to take care of it.

According to the descriptions this thread gave of the Clocktower, it feels much more of a humane institution than whatever Stay Night left it implied to be. I originally thought people like Rin, Luvia and Waver were exceptions, but they seem more common now.

Inb4 it's just the newer generation that is more "normal"

Maybe your taste is just fucking bad

A motherly, Rei Ayanami-type personality in a blonde, gaijin body might as well be crack cocaine to the Japanese.

From what I understand, there's...

The proper magus, autistically researching at home, will only go out to interact with other magi in order to acquire a good spouse to breed the next generation. Will ocassionally sabotage or steal some other magus' research, some might even cooperate before backstabbing each other. Most childs from a decent magus family probably don't even need to visit the clock tower and just grow to be shut-ins like their parents.

The aristocrat magus, from a family that became very relevant as part of the clock tower and put the search of the root second to acquiring more influence and resources, allegedly to make further research easier. Fastwheels and Atomic Gatorade go here.

Law faculty magi. Outright gave up on the root for political power since their duty is to keep the rest of the magi from doing retarded shit that breaks the masquerade.

Most students fom the clock tower, either members of new branch families or whatever new bloodline that's still too scrubby to have their own magic crest so they have no option but to learn from better magi. The teachers bait the kids with knowledge to gain assistants and the kids take the bait and try to steal as much knowledge as possible so they or the next generation becomes more of a proper magus.

The moralfags, a bunch of fuckups who put their fewwings above their duties as magi. Waver, Rhino, Luvia, Flatt and many more of Waver's students fall into this category and are slowly spreading.

>Flatt
There is an exclusive category for that fucker