Magus love

I hate to say it but Ancient Magus Bride is surprisingly complex and meaningful. I don’t even really remember what I was expecting getting into it as it’s such a weird series but there’s a lot to be learned from episode to episode.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metsänpeitto
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

no shit?

Yeah it had super high ratings I watched the first episode and have been downloading them, I just haven't found time to watch them.

It is the best show of the season for a reason.

Yea, I’m not even joking. I know the post reads like I’m just being a smartass but I genuinely like this series. Just don’t make the same mistake I did and watch the prequel and then skip to episode four of the anime.

It’s kinda hard to discuss this anime though. Everything I think I want to talk about makes me feel like a pretentious ass wipe because I don’t know if I’m looking too deep into the series or if what I’m thinking is what the writer intended as a message.

MAGIC SHIRAYUKI IS CUTE

>Elias sounds nothing like he did in the manga

Despite how simple she looks I think Chise is cute. Maybe that’s because I feel bad for her though. Either that or maybe I’m experiencing what it’s like to enjoy somebody for their personality.

Friends are angry I didn't like the dragons episode.

I know for a fact the blonde maid is cute.

Yeah she looks a lot like Shirayuki

Why m? I thought it was great.

i self insert as chise
im a man

Sometimes you just need to be held like a princess. Nothing wrong with that.

For me, taking Elias pov works surprisingly well with my autism. But Chise works similarly well here, so yeah.

I self-insert as Lindel.
Best wizard.

Me too.

I thought he was pretty cool as well. I was kinda surprised when he was talking down to Elias but I was pleasantly surprised to find out he was actually his senior. He’s pretty easy going which is unexpected considering how he snatched Chise up but in the end I guess it was all in good fun. I’ve kinda wondered how a guy like him was viewed in the magic world. It’s probably already been explained but I’m anime only so I wouldn’t know.

Chise isn’t autistic. She’s just shy.

It seems like almost every other mage talks down to Elias.

Not him, but Yome's dragon lore is not very interesting, it misses the point of western dragons and half the episode is just infodumping while the other half is about how our Japanese redhead is so speshul. I almost dropped it at that ep.

I’m not very much into dragon mythology so I don’t know much about what you’re talking about but forgetting about all that the episode itself and the message of that episode alone and how it was executed was great. If I was really into dragons and they messed up the mythology I guess that would be upsetting though. I guess maybe you should just take it as their own spin on it.

>I’ve kinda wondered how a guy like him was viewed in the magic world.
He's an eccentric Finnish hermit. I doubt anyone even really knows him, save for his teacher, Elias, Chise and the dragons.

>it misses the point of western dragons
But the dragons are all dead. The few left are basically living at the mercy of humans and behave accordingly.

>how it was executed was great
Again, don't agree. There was some great art, but it was so sappy and it felt fake.

You’re right. I think it was mentioned that there was vicious dragons but over time they were all wiped out and only nice dragons really survived.

How was it sappy? The dragon was about to die. He handled his death very well in my opinion and Chise didn’t really freak out either. Obviously after something like that she’d be a little shaken but any normal person under the same conditions would probably be crying their eyes out. I personally was really sad when I found out he was able to fly one last time because Chise was there helping him.

Yea, he sounds better.

It was too melodramatic and "deep" with dragon turning into a damned tree. What the hell is this dragon lore? I don't care about this dragon, stop trying to thug at my heart strings. So infodump and a conveniently forced death scene that also uses speshul power of the mc? Not again. It's just boring. The last three episodes are how you create emotional complexity among characters and draw out powers from the mc. So not only was it a silly episode, it was also remade right afterwards and better too.

>I hate to say it but I'm enjoying a show.
I think you've been here too long.

Since this is Japanese Twilight, I can understand why he'd be embarrassed. Probably inserts as the girl too.

pacing is awful, at least for the earlier chapters.

The #1 rule of writing is that you must pull the reader in and make them keep reading. You need some kind of hook or tension. If the story is meant to be character driven rather than plot driven, you have to make the reader emotionally invested in the characters from the get go.

The series starts out well eough...MC is a special girl that gets bought at an auction by what looks like a monster. OK. Then right away, the author ruins the sense of tension by revealing that the "monster" is actually a human (or someone who can appear as one) and isnt going to hurt her.

Then its just SOL stuff. Like...what? You dont insert SOL from the get go. You insert it during breaks in the plot. The reader should be driven to find out more about the MC and what the guy's true intentions are...inserting SOL at this point just ruins the sense of tension and urgency. There is no drive to keep reading to find out what happens next because everything is all nice and peaceful.

> Then its just SOL stuff. Like...what? You dont insert SOL from the get go. You insert it during breaks in the plot. The reader should be driven to find out more about the MC and what the guy's true intentions are...inserting SOL at this point just ruins the sense of tension and urgency. There is no drive to keep reading to find out what happens next because everything is all nice and peaceful.
You do realise this is a SOL series, right?

I will freely admit if I’m enjoy a show. What I hate to admit is that this series actually feels deeper than an anime should. I just didn’t want to sound like a typical 2deep4u Evangelion, Lain guy when this anime actually feels like it has some lessons to be learned from watching it.

>you have to make the reader emotionally invested
I am emotionally invested. I want to train my newly acquired slave and make her fall in love with me. What else do you need?

>Since this is Japanese Twilight
Get the fuck out

Manga from girl's pow where girl is not happy with her life and meets a dangerous nonhuman who unconditionally wants her and she falls in love with this crazy guy who protects her because he's all powerful. Also written by a female.

>then it’s just sol stuff

Good. All I can hope for is that they don’t introduce some forced unnecessary plot and ruin the show like flip flappers*

that is literally not how you make someone fall in love with you though

You mean magical bioweapon gets purchased by inhuman monster as a bride?

No. I mean what I said.

>Manga from girl's pow where girl is not happy with her life and meets a dangerous nonhuman who unconditionally wants her and she falls in love with this crazy guy who protects her because he's all powerful
This premise isn't very rare to begin with
>written by a female
The fuck does that have to do with anything

You will have your plot-infused SOL and you will enjoy it.

She's Japanese so its ok.

>This premise isn't very rare to begin with
>The fuck does that have to do with anything
You're not really bright, are you? Females wet themselves on the idea of dangerous beast men protecting them. This, be it Yome, Twilight or any other of these books, it's female isekai.

>What I hate to admit is that this series actually feels deeper than an anime should.
Like I said, user. It sounds like you've internalized Sup Forums shitculture. There isn't any baseline for what sort of value is within normal tolerance for an anime. There is just the angry doctrine that shitposters have foisted upon you. Do yourself a favor and pay less attention to them going forward.

That aside, I'm glad we can enjoy the show's thematic merits together.

He says he keeps her safe because he spent a lot of money on her. Also considering her life it’s not forced that she doesn’t like herself. I can see if she was just a normal girl who hated herself because it’s necessary for the plot but when there’s a legitimate story with reason behind it that’s just being lazy to call her a fraud self insert because she’s written by a girl. The same thing goes for harem shows. If anything that’s what you should be complaining about because there’s no reason the main character in those types of series should be getting any attention from girls.

But I'm not complaining.

why would you do that

>Twilight
It's called Beauty and the Beast
No, not that faggy Disney version

It's just wish fullfillment and escapism, plenty of that around. All the isekai garbage we're seeing is just that.

I’m just saying. Chise has a legitimate reason to be wanted by these people where as a lot of other highly praised anime do not care to even consider why there characters should be so highly valued by others. This story is well written.

>It's just wish fullfillment and escapism
That’s exactly why most people watch anime and any media content in general. You’re complaining that this story is too good.

>wish fullfillment and escapism
What anime from this season isn't wish fulfillment or escapism?

I self insert as Joseph. No bully.

Last episode gave me a horrible dilemma. On the one hand, Titania has perfect saggy tits for a waifu. On the other hand, I'm not into Celtic mythology and like the Chad God more.

I haven't seen this show, so I was just making a general point.

Also, pandering does not automatically equal good in my book.

We're getting what sells, I guess.

>self-inserting as the Eternal Jew

Well you not seeing the show explains everything.

>What anime from this season isn't wish fulfillment or escapism?
I opened the chart and you're absolutely right. They're all wish fulfillment this season.

You're talking to a different user, user.

Read the post I replied to friend.

>it's "Elias leaves Chise in danger episode"
literally every second manga chapter

gembutts

I do t hey how people consider this series wish fulfillment. Realistically nobody wants the life Chise has had up until now. I’d consider more of a hurt/comfort underdog tale.

If you guys wanna see a self insert story look at high school DXD or A Certain Magical Index.

How is it complex? It's basically failed-attempt-to-cuck-the-magus-of-his-bride of the week. It's only worth watching because Chise is cute.

>nobody wants the life Chise has had up until now
My life was shit enough. Do I get my magus witch now?

She’s had a prey shit life. Can you honestly say yours can even compare?

No because this isn't my personal blog and we aren't on tumblr to compare oppression powerlevels.

Exactly. Also she’s not with some Disney prince. She was bought by a weirdo monster. See just happy to belong somewhere at this point.

>Jew
>is evil
Sasuga.

She’s*

>tfw have no one to belong to

Why not try selling yourself to someone?

I don't know any human selling associations near me.

>Jewseph
>evil
He has a hard life, leave him alone Sup Forums.

He's had a hard life because he's evil.

Well, to be honest, I don't think anyone would want you either.

>Ancient Magus Bride is surprisingly complex and meaningful

That's just an illusion produced by the glacial pacing and ambiguous narrative. The plot goes nowhere and says nothing especially clever or profound.

He's not really evil, just slowly went insane due to his curse of immortality and all the things he had to do to keep his body intact so he didn't end up a rotting pile of meat that's still conscious but isn't able to do anything

And he was cursed because he's evil. He deserved it all.
And more.

Just like Chise was cursed by the dragon because she's evil, right

>cursed by god
>the same thing as being cursed by a dragon

The main point of the dragon's death was to build towards Chise changing her view on her death. Chise meeting someone who had a different life(A happy one, at that) and welcomed their death was to present to her a different reason to welcome one's death.
She wanted to die because of her miserable life, but the dragon was waiting to die because of its fulfilling life.
Next, the cat killer incident revealed to her the eventual death waiting for her, and the events and memories she saw ultimately changed her view from "I want to die" to "When will I die?".

>you are irredeemably evil
>let me curse you so you will wander my earth for eternity, bringing havoc to my people with your evilness
cool god you got there

Yeah. Shitty native gods don't compare.

I hate to break it to you but I think this anime is legitimately 2deep4u user. If everybody could easy grasp the hidden meaning within each episode it wouldn’t be very deep now would it.

Is it true that he is Judas? The one who betrayed jesus? Read it somewhere but don't remember where and i can't be bothered to read through the manga.

No, he's the wandering Jew.

Nah. He's just been around for an eternity and a half.

What would happen if Elias consumed Jewseph?

What's the British / Irish equivalent for en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metsänpeitto that Titania cast the priest into?

Paganism is pretty cool dude.

Nah. Fucking horses isn't a cool ritual. It's being an autistic brony.

>almond milk
Do nips really drink that shit? It tastes like wood water. Gross.

Most asians are lactose-intolerant. It wouldn't make much sense for them to drink normal milk.

>Most asians are lactose-intolerant
Every time I feel like we're one human race, things like these snap me back into reality. I don't know what world they live in, but it's completely alien to me and they're not like me in any way. This shit freaks me out.

Elias is hot, no homo.

They are supposed to be England though, right? I'm Asian and they don't even sell almond milk here.