What happened to shading in anime?

What happened to shading in anime?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/OtaKing77077/status/926120718206734336
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's easier and cheaper to do fluid animation with less shading. It was also done with 80s anime like Victory Gundam.

What is Otaking up to these days?

He is streaming at the moment on twitch (Otaking77077) He is animating an amazing Street fighter anime movie.

>People think this image isn't true

Because,
>High quality anime
>Sell like shit
>Waste of time and money

>Low quality anime
>Sell like shit
>Didn't waste that much and gain a little.

>using images to compare animation quality

Shit like this started selling, no need for effort now

Just make an alien girl with a head wider than her shoulders and little baby hands

I bet you could do that one on the left way faster than 4 hours digitally. Seems like an exaggeration to me.

Look at his livestream. It takes longer than that.

>Why would they do something that (apparently) saves 95% of the time making it?
It's a mystery.

>2000-ish anime
>new anime
At least some more modern art styles have picked up shading again

Spammer troll.

I mean, I like old style shading but the newer style can result in better and smoother animation. It's a trade-off, I think.

ITT: People who never watched Kabaneri

not the guy you replied to, but thanks m8

the color palette is definitely worse nowadays. everything is so washed out and pastel

It was nice to look at but, the show overall was trash.

Nothing, OTAKING was delusional nostalgia fag, anime was always, ALWAYS being poorly done, only a complete retard would try to bring some exeptions and whine about why does the rest does not look the same.

>overdetailed animation
>but only 10 animes per year and most of them are edgy OVAs

where do i sign up?

Probably most japanese people are okay with modern quality, so no one would change it, plus only movie and ova's looked that good.

I have to say, while I understand what Otaking's idea of shading is, his actual examples of shading from his rotoscoped works are quite DeviantArty and catastrophically terrible.

older anime has better still frames but newer anime has more actual animation on average.

Are you autistic user?

>This was badly done
And I just took a random ass scene from Hokuto no Ken, not even cherry picking

I'm not against it, but it's not profitable probablysorry for samefagging too much

this...is average

i'll take one full feature film 1h30min quality anime per year, please

I can tolerate a lack of shading colors as long as the animation is fluid. BUT I fucking hate bloom.
A half of all anime nowadays have bloom.
Shit is annoying.

anime became too accessible to both make and watch

I dont know, his animation looks... kind of wierd. It lacks... i dont know, fluid maybe? Like its 3d models without any squashes and stretches

used to be about money when they had to paint cells.
But now it's just laziness and simply not teaching artist to shade anymore. The public doesn't care anyway. Fuck, the USA doesn't shade at all these days and they control the market.

A lot of it is/was rotoscoped. He has very little in the way of a traditional animation background, and I remember in an /m/ thread there was a lengthy exchange about getting him to read some basic literature about general animation practices to fix his habit of leaning on rotoscoping as a crutch. I'm not sure if he posts on /m/ anymore, but it was interesting to watch his progress, especially given that animation is (or was, at least) largely a passion project for him.

You mean the show that imitated 80's shading and had an eighties character designer?

Sometimes old anime even overused shading

Like most anime regardless of era

muh shading

Shading levels is just dependant on the artstyle and tone of the show. If you want a darker, dramatic show you're gonna use hard shadows. You're not going to use that type of shading on a show about cute girls doing cute things. I don't have it but someone post that image of Devil Part Timer that has hard shadows and switches to simple.

Remember, Otaking is also reading this thread.

>amazing
Holy shit this looks bad.

Is this a threat?

>Holy shit this looks bad.
I'd like to see you do better.

I don't need to, that's what animation studios are for.

Animators today focus on creating fluid and exciting animation rather than pretty stills. If I wanted pretty pictures I'd read manga.

>most anime
Most anime are not kabaneri bad

i love you faye

You are gay as liberace.

>this is the same goddamn anime
>same episode even
I'd post the image, but I don't have it on hand.

Hi Otaking!

>*steps out of the shadows*
>Remember kid, I’m watching the thread. You got once chance, don’t fuck it up.

I'm already waiting several years for just one or two new shows to wow me in a sea of garbage.
I'd wouldn't mind slower production if I'm being guaranteed a much higher quality product on average.

Does anyone actually remember 80s anime? All these screen shots are of the few good key frames, but those shows were full of horrible animation and off model garbage.

Often characters would deform into gross mutant dorito face monsters. They looked real bad. If anything Otakin shows the weaknesses of shows like that. The actual animation is stiff and characters deform into unappealing shapes. If I wanted nice still pictures, I'd read the manga. I watch anime to get some animation (although better often lacking even in modern stuff).

Ota said that you haven't been watching much 80's anime.

Also, Otaking is asking, if there are any decent subs for Aura batteler Dunbine out there?

Someone reposted me on the twitch chat. That's cute, haha.

He's a good boy. I disagree with him, but appreciate his passion.

Apart from the effects used on the punches and stuff, this look really bad. Felt like I was watching a newgrounds animation from 2006. That's not what I expect from studios with thousands of dollars and animators at their disposal.

I actually think it looks really good. The fights in Birdy Decode in general moved really well, they just looked flat and gray and no-shaded is all.

>hated on based oaty king
What are you, gay?

Also he's gotten better at animation.
twitter.com/OtaKing77077/status/926120718206734336

Why compare OVA/movies against TV series though? At least do like with like.

His rant on SHADING does come across as a bit obnoxious, but to be fair, it was a long time ago, and early 2000s digipaint does tend to look really bad, both in comparison to what came before and what's come after.

He's a passionate guy who actually follows through, so he's pretty hard to dislike if you pay any attention to him beyond the meme images about SHADING that get posted.

Its still looks unnatural and uncanny

you literally used the worse looking shot in the entirety of E7. OP3 is fucking ugly in every way.

My favourite manga got an anime adaptation during the hideous transition to digital colouring where they still retained palette and shading sensibilities from cell painting. There isn't a day when I don't pray for a new series covering later arcs with artwork that isn't dark but incredibly shiny.

>no weight
Holy shit it looks fucking bad.

Sounds good to me

It looking absolutely horrible aside, that forced animation is just painful to look at. All those pointless movements that serve no purpose whatsoever just look so unnatural and jarring it's unbearable

this

indeed he has improved but it looks really weird.

unfortunalty the plot and execution was really average

>Her hand clips through the seatbelt.

>this
>modern anime
unless you mean modern as in last era, no.

I love Otaking but people are right about it being weightless, he should watch that lecture about animation not being about drawing individual images, but creating an illusion of motion.

Also his shading examples are all from OVAs/movies, so a pointless comparison.

How about this?

this is lazy as fuck
your standards have lowered from watching too much of this lowly trash, just like anyone else in here. People here like praising kyoani but even they are just mediocre at best, and come nowhere near close to quality of full featured anime films

>People here like praising kyoani but even they are just mediocre at best
Sure thing nigga. As far as TV anime goes kyoani is better than pretty much any studio from any decade. I don't care how much you hate their shows and shitpost about them, it's the fucking truth.

they are better indeed
but being better than shit doesnt make you a diamond

So what's your point? Do you think everything looks like shit except movies?

This pic definition of cherrypicking.

Is it weird that I miss the background work and some of the effects you could do with a lightbox in old anime more than the animation itself

The one on the right overall looks like it had far less effort put into it. Of course it'd take less time.

>Otaking shit is at it again
I'll never not say to this faggot that his shit sucks horribly

Thank god this is getting a second season, I mean the story and characters were average but WIT really raised the bar with this one in terms of art quality and animation.

God Eater did multiple tone shading and everyone whined it looked like shit or they unironically thought it was CG.

Groovy

PUNCHING THAT BUTTON

>Comparing ovas to tv anime
Stop doing this.

Damn that's some good quality there

This.
You guys should watch Golgo 13 (2008) if you want to see a relatively modern anime that uses shading to accentuate the dark tone of the series.

Even worse, 1/3 of those frames are from the same ova - Gundam 0083 which had some of the best cell animation ever and is nowhere near your average tv show.

>implying 00 anime isn't old
In 5 years, series that aired in 2002 will be 20 years old.

>this is what the average anime looks like nowadays
Where have we gone wrong lads

Less shading = more time spent actually animating the damn characters, retards.
That being said
>Comparing 90s anime with 00s anime.
Why are all you newfags being bated so hard?