Is it possible for an anime adaptation of a manga be superior to the manga without deviating too much?

Is it possible for an anime adaptation of a manga be superior to the manga without deviating too much?

I can think of anime adaptations that are superior but they took the risk of making big changes, those kinds of risks rarely pay off.

>Is it possible for an anime adaptation of a manga be superior to the manga without deviating too much?
Yes. See: Gintama.

I think Shoujo Shuumatsu Ryokou is doing a great job right now
Episodes five in particular was vastly improved by having color, sound effects, music and of course the excellent voice acting

The manga is better though.

Currenly reading the manga.
Legit impressed by the anime they added plenty off great stuff I missed in the manga.

Pic unrelated? The same happens in both anime and manga there. Or do you actually want a slideshow?

>The same happens in both anime and manga there
Are you blind?

the superb VAs and animation do enhance the experience in more than one occasion though.

anime adaptations invariably lose all visual/artistic individuality a manga has, I hate them all

anime is profoundly homogenous in style compared to manga

The same events happen. Asking again, do you want a slideshow?

Asking again, are you blind?

Yes. Case in point: Shigurui.

>Is it possible for an anime adaptation of a manga be superior to the manga without deviating too much?

>Nanachi says sure
>Reg tries to hug nanachi but is blocked and Nanachi turns to Riko talking to her
>nanachi sees her home for the last time
What's the difference?

Get your eyes checked.

Nice argument.

Nanachi looks fatter in the anime.

I know.

This.

HxH 2011 is a prime example of too faithful, not thought-out adaptation only doing the IP more harm than good.

>b-but it's very popul-
Yeah, because most people don't even know that 1999 exists.

So, Sailor Moon thread?

Sailor Moon has loads of filler

You mean all the good parts?

Even if it's good, it still deviates too much.

voices are better in the manga IMO

I hated Monster because it was basically a really slow 1:1 adaptation of the manga, so I definitely prefer the changes in OP

I never got this whole concept of "filler". Some episodes/chapters might not advance the main plot, but they usually give a lot more life and personality to the characters. And I really like fleshed-out characters.

So what are the most important things to make a good adaption?

I think of SZS as a great adaption that equals the manga

But then there's something like Mahoutsukai no Yome airing right now, which I find inferior to the manga.

Or you have something like Denki-gai no Honya-san which was a bad adaption of a good manga

Is that more due to the manga or is it due to the anime?

Woah, one pictogram is shown at a time reeeeeeeee they ruined the series!!!

Well there's Clannad's adaptation which is arguably the best VN adaptation, hell it's even better than it's source material. That's incredible considering that every single VN adaptation is shit, every single one.

Yeah, Kaiji is a great example of anime being better than the manga.

>Well there's Clannad's adaptation which is arguably the best VN adaptation
Not really, no. It's subpar like many others. S;G is probably the best VN adaptation of a non-kinetic novel because it adapts everything that matters and the routes are side stories even in the VN.

>hell it's even better than it's source material
No, it's not. It does some things better but it completely fails on a personal level that many of the routes in Clannad achieve.

I just meant new content for the anime. It is good though.

I agree with the user people are shitting on, OP pic unrelated. I'll give a brief explanation why since he wont. The adaptation wasn't bad at all, but you do have to be fucking blind to not see the massive difference in portrayal of expression. I don't expect them to do better, but they certainly didn't blow me away in that department. Animation has the potential to be much more expressive than stills, and yet it is almost always flatter, relying entirely on the VAs to sell emotion.

There have never been anime that was superior to the source from first till the very last episode.

There are two things that can make anime outshine source, first being action scenes and second - music.

Funny thing, that action scenes most of the time are worse than in source material.
Also, good soundtrack can completely steal the show.

White Album 2 was great.

If it's a comedy, then yeah, or just something that's not known for it's quality.
Quite a lot of 4komas got decent anime.

Yes, but the screenwriter must be really inspired, or the original source quite dull.

>tfw never sure if i should wait for a possible S2 or just read the manga when it comes to recent adaptions

Season 2 fucking when?

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou!

anime rapes the manga

How bad of an adaptation is it? Am considering watching the show soon

>depressed bossu
>not using the depressed bossu where the bus gets stuck in the sand in episode 4

Sure it is, anime has way more to work with than manga: mainly color (unless it's some unicorn fully-colored manga), animation, voice acting and soundtrack. If those are all handled well the end result can definitely be superior. Manga isn't a format with a lot of information density, as such it's not impossible to adapt to a visual medium without losing a lot of detail and nuance, as is the case with most proper novels for instance.

Different user here, can you explain what's different? I think everyone is blind except you, I'm curious what we are missing.

See .
It wasn't BAD, but the emotion was more underwhelming in the animation than in the stills.

Shingeki no Kyojin.

Therefore the reason many anime are STILL inferior is because the writers are completely incompetent at properly adapting the source material.

Not necessarily just that. A large part of it is surely related to funding too. Doing everything properly and at very high quality will definitely be more expensive too. The artwork itself may also not be as high quality as some of the best manga, I imagine the workload would be insane to produce actual animation at the quality of old Berserk for instance.

Backgrounds, which is a big part of setting the atmosphere and tone in the manga, is very bland in the anime.
You don't even have to read the manga to compare, just watch the ED animation.

It wasn't funny. And I was a big fan of the manga.

It might be fine if you haven't read the manga

No you are