Is Haruhi a good watch in this day and age?

Is Haruhi a good watch in this day and age?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2EgdK_70UyA
youtube.com/watch?v=eKOnvmXT9mo
youtube.com/watch?v=9iQDdsteSr0
youtu.be/hz5Att7BLFU
youtube.com/watch?v=XM6I4DYJoTU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No. It's generic LN garbage. It only happened to get popular because it was the first generic LN garbage a lot of kids ended up experiencing in the 00s.

T. SAOfag

i went through the first season for the first time recently. its only alright. the characters are alright, but a lot of things are just kinda generic. the episode where they play their move is still great though.

Even Kotoura-chan is better

Worth it for Yuki.

Watched it for the first time this year and it's at least a 8/10 for me, maybe it's better watched when you are a newfag like me who doesn't knew much about SoL. I can see other people finding it redundant after watching a bunch of SoL.

Haruhi was OG

haruhi is legit, the series definitely has ups and downs but the highs are amazing, also disappearance is still one of my favorite anime films

>
Watch it again and pay attention this time, holy fuck.

This.

I only feel like the first season is still worth watching, but only in broadcast order. Everywhere orders the episodes chronologically now, which jumbles all the big story beats. I never re-watched S2 or disappearance though. The former for obvious reasons, and the latter because I felt like it just didn't have the same charm.

Sure everyone likes Kyon's big character moment, but the whole film feels overwrought.

>Watch it again and pay attention this time, holy fuck.
Elaborate.

It's a pretty generic anime. Watch other series. Don't overpraise it.

>Don't overpraise it.
I didn't, though.

The characters are literally the most generic thing about Haruhi. Kyon is a slightly elevated moron useless harem MC. Haruhi's character is irritating.

Everything else about the show is good or great.

Haruhi is the best thing about Haruhi though, Mikuru is the only shit member

Nah, it's just for people with superiority complex like NGE

Don't get me wrong, I think the characterization was brilliant. She is irritating as a character because she is intended to be an irritating flawed person who is only likable because of her earnest nature and barely covered vulnerability.

That part of her has been copied over and over again to the point that it could seem generic, but most of the copycats are shit at pacing, framing a coherent narrative, clever use of anime conventions, etc - things that Haruhi was pretty good at.

And yes, mikuru a shit.

I didn't even really like it when I first watched it. It was just entry level anime with nice OPs and the famous ending. If those OP/ED weren't there I wouldn't have watched it. Plot is pretty bad and the characters are mostly shit.

I have a hard time seeing people feeling superior for liking Haruhi, if anything I feel a bit embarassed about it

I must be the only one who doesn't give a shit about the ED, meanwhile I like the OPs and absolutely love the soundtrack.

It's both ironically and unironically my favorite show of all time, including Endless Eight. I have a lot of personal reasons for ranking it so highly though. But when people say that it was "generic" and such I can't help but think they weren't paying attention. If I was more pretentious and less lazy I could probably whip out a few essays about stuff in Haruhi

I'm kind of with you. The ED was just a nice little pop tune with a dance. It's the perfect formula for weebs to eat up.

Bouken Deshou Deshou>Hare Hare Yukai>Super Driver>Tomare

Just a reminder that Kyon fucks this every night.

OP1 > OP2 > who cares, most of the music in the show is much better than the endings.

Its even more worth a watch after hearing that Haruhi's seiyuu slept around.

This. If you meet her you can use it as a conversation starter to fuck her.

Too mainstream, Naruto is niche compared to it.

>I only feel like the first season is still worth watching, but only in broadcast order. Everywhere orders the episodes chronologically now, which jumbles all the big story beats.
This. After reading some of the LNs I realized that I really didn't like the story as much as I thought the presentation in the broadcast order was really well done. I think it's worth watching if only for that. If you're going to watch it chronologically you may as well skip it

Except that would be Slayers you idiot

Yuki? more like Yucky!

am i rite guys?!?

It would make more sense to ask if it was ever a good watch at all. It wasn't.

Haruhi is objectively terrible and I have no idea why it got so popular. This shit came out when I was like 13 and I have no idea why I liked it back then.

Show had long monologues talking about literal nonsense technobabble, I get that the protagonist is having this "2deep4u" moment talking to an alien but holy fuck it didn't need to drag on for 5 minutes, and this didn't need to happen 3 times with cowtits and gayboy either. All the characters are unlikable and boring. Cowtits only exists for Haruhi to grope her tits and go DOHOHO SO QUIRKY AND RANDOM, alien bitch isn't terrible but god is she boring, esper faggot seems to only exist to symbolize Kyon's frustration with his latent homosexuality and inherent distaste of women. Only episode I remember liking is the one with the video game as it focused on the thing the show did best which was animation.

I should probably go back and watch it, but I'm not going to. From the cringy subculture this show produced (that ed) to the shitty story I hate this show and I hate all of you and I'm sure you hate me.

It's better every time.

I watched every episode of the endless 8 and regret it

Yes, it was the first show with well done meta humour referencing dumb tropes in other anime in a very "chill" manner. Kyon is just based and for some reason I vibe really well with him.

All women sleep around, this shouldn't be news in the first place.

It always was. The TV show is great (if only a bit confusing at times on the first watch) and Disappearance is brilliant.

fpbp

That's not to say it's an awful show, it definitely has some charming moments but it's overrated to shit.

Movie is much, much better though, so maybe it's worth it to watch the series just for the movie. You won't need to drag through the series, but do skip endless eight. Anyone who tells you otherwise just wants to feel less bad for wasting their time watching alternate camera shots.

Sir the fact that you were 13 has cemented these opinions at a 13-year-old's level of understanding and appreciation. You got to the point in life where you realized, probably at age 13, that Santa wasn't real and that you were dumb for having believed in him to begin with. When you are mentally more sophisticated, you will realize you wish Santa was real. When you are prepared to grasp Haruhi, it will be at the point in your life when you have realized that you need to make Santa become real somehow or die trying. One day, by the grace of God, you will see this.

But you watched it, which means you are qualified to comment and can still be considered a fan who deserves some measure of respect.

>haruhisky still hasn't done anything involving Haruhi and multiple boys

I'd say it's more relevant than ever.
Basically, it's a story about a girl who realized she's not anything special and get pissed about it hence why she's such a bitch in the series and want to hang out with aliens/esper/time traveller/whatever: because that would make her special.

Now look at our world now, it's all about social media, it's all about whoever can get the most retweet or whatever, our world is filled with people like Haruhi.

But unlike these attentionwhores and manchildren, Haruhi is still developing and I fully expect Haruhi to end (if it ever end) with a classic "not being special is ok" or Kyon going "it's ok if you're normal because you're special to me" or both at the same time.

Or at least a Mikuru/Kyon 3-way.

>Implying she isn't special and the world doesn't literally revolve around her

Her is some sorta oc that I made for you guys while testing out my ability to do transparency. I fucking love this icon.

I hope you're the slightest bit ashamed about using a thread for a relatively inoffensive Japanese cartoon series to whine about people with blogs

That's kind of the point, they tell how Haruhi started having fun in more normal ways during Endless Eight, while on the other hand she creates the most trouble when she's full chuuni (Melancholy, Sighs)
It's not "go full normalfag" though. That's Kyon's character at the start, and he changes too by opening up to Haruhi's antics more and more. It's a bit of both really, Kyon would have missed the fun of doing things he really liked just to stick in the mud and Haruhi obviously suffered in these 3 years searching for the thing that'd make her a special snowflake. She enjoys befriending random normal people later in the series and Kyon states that what she likes is the search for the aliens with her peers rather than the aliens themselves (which she has never seen).

Obviously it wasn't a thing in Japan at the time (probably was the opposite, a lot of jaded Kyons everywhere) but it's strangely relevant in the special snowflake Tumblr era.

>tfw so much The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya hate

still and will probably always be my favourite anime of all time. Like that other user () said its probably more relevant now than ever. Highly recommend it to anyone that hasn't watched it yet.

I watched the first four episodes, then got halfway through the fifth, then had it sit in a tab 10+ tabs back for 5 months until I finally just said "fuck it" and skipped to the last episode

It's an ok series that is 100% worth watching to set up for the movie, which is an excellent conclusion to the series and honestly finishes things in a way that doesn't necessitate a season 3. The series shines the brightest during the small, introspective moments afforded the viewer a half dozen times in the show when it's just Kyon + one other character + the weirdly excellent soundtrack. Most of it's fairly generic SoL in this day and age, but there's something undeniably kino about those handfuls of scenes and the way things are framed to only give hints of a greater, more interesting universe unseeable and untouchable by our PoV protagonist.

youtube.com/watch?v=2EgdK_70UyA
youtube.com/watch?v=eKOnvmXT9mo
youtube.com/watch?v=9iQDdsteSr0

Their choice of music's weird, it's more fitting for a visual novel or something than an animated television series. It's pretty unique. There's definitely something worthwhile in Haruhi, it's just not...ALL worthwhile.

>Implying she isn't special and the world doesn't literally revolve around her
Then why does she sleeps?
"Why would a perfect God create a universe at all?"
That's my headcanon but she sleeps because she doesn't want to realize she's all alone.

It's a show about how society expect people to become a part of the machine and how people are dealing with it during teenage years.
Not only the issues aborded in the show are still present in today's society but their importance has increased tenfold.
Why is Kyon so jaded? Because he fully accepted his fate or at least thought so until he met Haruhi.
Haruhi is legit because she actually go out and hence will grow as a character.
tumblr doesn't and think they can become something/change the world by sitting behind a screen.

Also this

Threadly Reminder that Kyon is God.

I only watched it earlier this year and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I liked the lighthearted vibe and the assortment of sci fi tropes rolled into one story. I also liked how Yuki is not only adorable as fuck, but cool and powerful.

Did they ever answer why Mikuru was afraid/leery of Koizumi? Fucker being an enigma makes him interesting, but I would like to at least know if Mikuru was justified in some way in her distaste.

Best order is broadcast, right?

Would their sex be called the big bang?

heh

pic related

>pic related
Is this the recommended order?

the broadcast order is the one jumbled up but it had good pacing and lets you grow into characters before the grand finale

chronologically makes sense only if the series was continued, but Haruhi is dead and most of S2 was the fucking Endless Eight so you're only left with few episodes that should've been in S1 in the first place if it wasn't 14 episodes long

so yeah, i'd strongly recommend the broadcast order for the first watch

youtu.be/hz5Att7BLFU

You picked some good ones but this is one of the best scenes in all of anime. Simple, nothing that utterly mind-blowing, but exquisitely executed with an entire series of buildup and tension behind it and with the music and the absolute-madman kiss and damn the whole thing sends chills down my spine.

Yeah the show does a good job of creating a mega-complex universe that you know is like that even though you only see hints of it. That's why it's magical. Magic ceases to be magic the second you really explain it.

> t. Koizumi esper

How would God know they're God?

She is terrified of Nagato and leery of Koizumi because she knows what they are. They are also from organizations or whatever you want to call them that are opposed to or at least not in agreement with her own. Time Travellers, Aliens and Espers also have multiple factions in their own ranks. The whole thing is a bit of a minefield and no one person understands much of it, even Nagato has huge holes in her knowledge. People never seen to realize this but Mikuru is not from a few years in the future. She is from an indeterminite point in the future and is here to ensure her timeline stays intact or else she will never even be born. She doesn't know much about Haruhi (not that one could ever be prepared for her). She doesn't know how any of the others will interact with her...Nagato could just delete her, for all she knows. She doesn't know what animal costumes mean and doesn't even know how modern boats stay afloat (she is from some point in the future where such technology is obsolete or something). She is being used in a callous manner by her handlers and even her own future self...who is possibly a little sinister. Kyon is not just her shelter from the storm of the S.O.S. Brigage, he is her lifeline in this whole scary world. Even in the anime, there are several occasions where this is shown.

Absolutely. Good story, visuals and characters. What is there not to like?

When was Mikuru afraid of Koizumi? I only remember her being like that towards Nagato.

>She is terrified of Nagato and leery of Koizumi because she knows what they are.
She is reserved towards Nagato because she thinks Nagato is jealous of her and wants to be like her - cute, social, klutzy and making others want to protect her.

which she isn't by the way
based Nagato

Indeed. The assumption still made sense, though, especially considering that Disappearnace Yuki was in many ways comparable to Mikuru.

Guys guys guys. I will skip the LN wankery except to mention that Kyon says things like Mikuru looks at Nagato with "dread" and things like that and is shaken and terrified when she uses her powers (like on the baseball bat). It's canon.

As for the anime, there are some pretty strong depictions of this in the show as well. The second she first sees Nagato in the clubroom, she stops fighting Haruhi off and goes cold and says "I...see...".

Incidentally, Nagato does want to be like her. Or rather, wants to be more like her because she thinks that's what Kyon wants and she is fixated on him (obviously). Disappearance Nagato IS still Nagato. She is herself with no restrictions as a real person. Remember, she's an AI, not a human being, but she wants to be one. In Disappearance she snaps and uses Haruhi's powers to be selfish and just do what she wants and what she wants is to be human. The real irony is that she, in her robotic version wherein feelings are empathy are data corruption, still leaves Kyon an escape route. She warps reality to make herself a human who can feel...yet when she does it, she already cares about Kyon enough to *consider his desires before her own*. Wrap your fucking heads around that, senpais.

It's her turning point in the series where she basically changes her true and first loyalty to the Brigade. The others do the same and Koizumi and Nagato say so flat-out. I don't remember if Mikuru says it but she definitely does so. Part of the theme of the relationship between the characters and the main development with them is that they start to care about the club and each other more than anything else. It need not be said that Kyon is willing to detonate the universe to protect the others (his trump card he threatens multiple forces including the Data Entity with).

Mikuru's situation is a lot to explain (read Intrigues) but Koizumi's is simpler to get because he is the founder and head of the Organization.

>Incidentally, Nagato does want to be like her.
Maybe at first. That's a possible interpretation of Disappearance where Nagato goes for a fake idea of a normal happy life by imitating Mikuru and other stuff (although I like thinking alt Nagato is such a dork because it shows real Nagato was feeling pretty bad and needed to grow at the time)

Nevertheless, after Disappearance Yuki develops her own character more and when asked by Kyon she says Mikuru was wrong thinking she was jealous of her. If it was real, it's not anymore.

Jealousy is definitely the wrong term, agreed. Envy, yes. There is a big difference but there it is. I don't think she ever wanted to be like Mikuru specifically, just be a real girl. She is Pinocchio. Mikuru's just the girls who's around and who evidently has Kyon's interest.

The bright side is that we all know that in that several-thousand-repetition summer, she nailed him hundreds of times,
somebody post the pic

>and things like that and is shaken and terrified when she uses her powers (like on the baseball bat). It's canon.
Stop exeggerating literally the only thing written in the LN is that she had a pale face, nothing more, which leaves a lot to the interpretation.

Yes, she wanted to be more like a normal person, but she specifically stated that Mikurus assumption of her wanting to be like her was wrong.

I have to go now, will reply to any responses later.

>She is Pinocchio. Mikuru's just the girls who's around and who evidently has Kyon's interest.
It's obvious when you see her playing with the mouse like Mikuru and Kyon. But that's before Disappearance, her character isn't the same after that.

Are you a speedreader? She is stated to be *fearful*. Emphasis not mine. Kyon wonders to himself why, and also if they already knew each other somehow. It's not a girl rivalry or interpersonal relationship, Mikuru knows what she is and what her presence means. And she views her the same way you would when confronted with an agent of an inhuman and nearly omnipotent entity who can unravel your very existence with little effort. Nagato is Lovecraft-tier insane cosmic power. There is also a chance she knows of the Sky Canopy Domain since she interacts with them later on. She's well aware of the aliens and what they really are. You're either terrified of them, or stupid. She eventually warms up to her but it takes quite a while, do you not remember the scene where Mikuru doesn't want to enter Nagato's apartment and stands there with her shoes on trying to build up the nerve to come inside and sit down? It's pure canon.

saved

i hate how the only way Haruhi can sustain a thread these days is through bashing the series

at least i'll always have the yearly disappearance rewatch.

That's not remotely true user, some of the best threads around here are good Haruhi threads. Even the ones that try to start out bashing it inevitably end up being derailed from bashing into good discussion. Haruhi is practically one of the only series that can consistently keep up a good thread for any amount of time and they are usually the best thread on the board when they're up.

She just has that effect on people. Some people will always try to trash the show but it always has the opposite effect every time. Can't say that for many, if any, other animes here. Haruhi may or may not be God but she is the God of Sup Forums and is unstoppable.

At least if the criticism was good but it always boils down to "she's a bitch" "muh harem"

I miss the autism

Best moment

youtube.com/watch?v=XM6I4DYJoTU

Anime doesn't have an expiry date. Something that was good in the past will always be good.

I have a fake bamboo plant (on of those weird grass-bamboo things) by my kitchen sink for this very purpose.

Yuki is the reason not to watch the show

IT WAS THE FUCKING HOMEWORK ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS FFS FUCKING HELL
(still liked the anime tho)

That's cute. Would draw.

Reminder that he deliberately cushioned Haruhi's fall with his body just like in Surprise

She returns the favor.

What would happen if Sasaki went to North High instead?

The world would implode. Unless a Kyon 2.0 is introduced (bonus points if genderbent kyon)

Haruhi would be jealous at first, but they'd probably get along eventually. I've read somewhere before that Sasaki has a mild boner for Haruhi anyways so that would probably factor in. Then they'd both bully Kyon.

Tolerable awkwardness if Haruhi is already matured like her post-Intrigues character

otherwise

>Threesome with two goddesses
Kyon's a lucky sonuvabitch

She would get offscreened by Haruhi in every way. Fuck that ziltch. Bargain basement, stepped-on, Dollar Store Chinese knockoff.

No. It's the Catcher in the Rye of anime.

Hey hey calm down. Just because she was there first

Did Tanigawa feel the need to introduce a childhood friend just so that Sasaki would get spurned like every other damn time childhood friends are involved?

very true

Nagato is the superior brigade girl

>Are you a speedreader? She is stated to be *fearful*. Emphasis not mine.
No she isn't at least not in the english version. I reread the passage.

"Does that mean she agreed to it? She nodded her head like a puppet whose strings had just
snapped, and walked in strides towards the Batter's box.
I turned my gaze leftwards and saw Asahina-san staring at Nagato,
"Nagato-san...... She's finally......"
She said with a pale expression, which made me concerned,
"What's she doing?"
"Nagato-san seems to be chanting incantations."
"Incantations? What the hell's that?"
"Um...... That's classified information."
I'm sorry. Asahina-san gestured as she lowered her head. That's fine, it can't be helped if it's
classified information. Sigh, looks like that surreal stuff was about to happen again.
I had a firsthand experience with Nagato's incantations."

And a bit later.

"Nagato seemed to have just casually swung the bat, and struck the center of the pitcher's fastball.
The ball flew high up above the field, and finally disappeared at the back of the wall.
I turned my gaze towards my teammates. Koizumi grinned elegantly and nodded to me; Asahinasan
looked a bit stiff, but wasn't surprised; while my sister and Tsuruya-san simply exclaimed,
"Wow......"

Nothing here neccessiraly implies anything more than slight discomfort.

And no, Mikuru was never afraid of Nagato erasing her or anything, if you diagree please give me a citation.

All HaruhixKyon moments are the best part of the series, they have a great relationship