Devilman Crybaby

There was a screening with the staff and you could hear people sobbing and clapping at the end. Another non-affiliated said that it will be a shock to people all over the world. Some of them think it's a masterpiece.

And then we have the positive English review of the first three episodes. Early signs say that Yuasa has done justice to Go Nagai's manga.

But then again, you never know. Too often I set myself up for disappointment.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/DevilmanCryBaby
twitter.com/KONFUNK
anime-now.com/entry/2017/11/06/230049
devilman-crybaby.com
cinematraque.com/2017/11/17/mazinger-z-infinity-domo-arigato-mr-roboto/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Huh, didn't know this was a thing. Is it going to cover all of the original manga? The OVAs from the 90's were pretty cool, but I'd be down for seeing a more accurate adaptation

Source for all of this: Japanese twitter

The official account retweeted a few reactions (I assume staff)
twitter.com/DevilmanCryBaby

And we have this guy who I think is writing an article on it for a 6/12 release in the Hyper Hobby magazine.
twitter.com/KONFUNK

>Is it going to cover all of the original manga?
Apparently yes, but with the director's own changes. It's set for a worldwide Netflix Spring release. The OVAs were incomplete.

devilman-crybaby.com

I hope it turns out well, just finished the manga and it was incredible. Probably my most anticipated show from 2018

Both Yuasa's new films are excellent. I have high hopes for this. Devilman is one of my favorites.

It's amazing that the manga was written and drawn in 1972.

On another note, Go Nagai's other adaptation, Mazinger Z Infinity is set to release in French theatres in 2 days, after the Italian release in late October.

Why is that amazing?
70s were a great period for manga.

>70s were a great period for manga.
It was, but works with that much gore like Devilman were rare. You had the gekiga movement but those didn't sport the cartoony Tezuka look, which Nagai took inspiration from (And Ishinomori).

I know Ishinomori was Nagai's mentor but Nagai's visual style looks more influenced by Tezuka

>anime-now.com/entry/2017/11/06/230049
It seems they will put more emphasis on the realtionship between akira and ryo. That's good, it felt weird that satan just went full gay for akira out of nowhere

Nagai wanted to become Tezuka's assistant, but the man was apparently on a trip at the time.

I like the homo / hetero love triangle they're going with.

I cant wait for all the people who said Devilman is shit to get btfo. This will be one of the greatest shows of the decade even the west will acknowledge it.
Oh and can anyone read moon? There was one person who was seemingly talking about the show, probably the voice actress. And it seems like she was talking the show being set in the 70s which would be fucking great because I feared it would be set in modern times. But that would let go of the cold war climate and angst.

You can always google translate. That's what I do. Also source?

How damn popular is mazinga to get such advertisement in a foreign country?

I've already saw it earlier this month.
It's already premiering though out all France.
The movie is not special, some good stuff with Doctor Hell but the movie is mostly an excuse to promote young japanese men to have babies

>mostly an excuse to promote young japanese men to have babies
Sounds like classic Nagai.

Mazinger isn't known at all actually.

Grendizer however is really fucking huge, its like the first anime ever broadcasted in France and has been a big cultural phenomenon since then.
Most people who has never seen anime in France knows about "Goldorak"

Just look how they advertise Go Nagai's mangas by making Grendizer localised name bigger than the actual title

When is this out again? Spring? Hopefully my liver doesn't fail before then.

Not in France. They're only trying their chances there because of Grendizer's massive success there. Otherwise, Italy is the country where Nagai works are pretty popular whether it's Devilman, Mazinger or Grendizer.

>The movie is not special
For a Mazinger fan, I guess it isn't, but it's not like I'm expecting anything too different from Toei. I however read a review that made it sound like the craziest shit ever, and I guess that's the effect it will have on people who don't know Go Nagai other than his minimal work on Grendizer.

cinematraque.com/2017/11/17/mazinger-z-infinity-domo-arigato-mr-roboto/

I can't wait that scene from The Night is Short Walk on Girl gives me hope on how Yuasa will handle that moment when the mob breaks through Miki's house

I also forgot to mention Jeeg's popularity in Italy. This robot even got featured in the live action movie called "They call me Jeeg"

How was that movie? I heard some mixed things about it.

Man, Shinya Ohira would be the perfect pick for animating that scene, I really hope Crybaby doesn't screw it up

Did anyone get Devil Man Grimoire? I've been curious about it myself.

>meme art style
Not even once.

I thought it was really good.
Maybe great I don't know, only time will tell

>meme opinion
Not even once.

Pretty good, preferred Tatami Galaxy. I preferred Lu personally though.

I've seen people posting pics of it on twitter.

Yeah if you want crazy Nagai antics you have those but not so much.
The multiverse shenanigans with the Mazinger Infinity/Goragon and some of Dr.Hell speech are highly Nagai-esque in that sense
The new character and overall style doesn't relfect much of Nagai's.

People unfamiliar with Mazinger can be lost too as it is set as a sequel and expects you to know the characters.
The new girl doesn't had much, and I really found her annoying.

But as a retelling how does it compare to the original?

It was great.

Is the story still about Akira and Ryo satanic adventures?

>you could hear people sobbing and clapping at the end
Thats the only reaction I want people to have after the last episode. The last 3 or so episodes must be some crazy shit. Seems like Yuasa was the right one to adapt it and then there were people who started to mistrust him due to some changes in character design, ridiculous. Shut looks good.

>The Nigh is Short subs are out, it's amazing
>Next day, Lu no Uta subs are out, it's amazing
>Next day, screening's reactions of Devilman claim it is a masterpiece

What a great weekend for Yuasa fans.

Will it be as gay as the original or be way gayer like the spinoffs, sequels, and side stories?

It'll be even gayer

>plebs like it
>pleb reviewers like it
Confirmed for completely butchering the original Devilman.

>flash shit
Just like 3DCG, flash will never be real anime.

>you could hear people sobbing and clapping at the end
Must have been an American audience.

You've watch and enjoyed scenes animated in flash in anime without even realising it. It is fairly common place and most of the talented young animators use it nowadays instead of paper.

Yeah, I'm sure it misses the highbrow finesse of the original piece.
You've convinced me, good argument.

excellent

> The anime begins with Ryo returning from a trip abroad where he discovered the existence of devils.

So we aren't going to get the "MY FATHER IS DEAD" scene?

Go away, xPearse.

We saw the car in the first teaser, I think it'll be fine

Gotta agree with , original devilman wasn't really that complex or 'highbrow', I don't really know what you were expecting from the adaption.

>Netflix

how so? it looks like a manga from 1972 and you couldn't do a lot of shit that it did today

This isn't going to be aired all at once right?

>having to deal with modern fansub groups
2013 was the last year of good fansubing

it's gonna be aired weekly in japan and will be released after it's finished and dubbed in 50 languages in the rest of the world

Where did you get that from?

It's Netflix and they pander primarily to bingefags, so the chances are 99.99% they'll put up everything on the same day. No weekly TV airing on Japan before either

>50 languages
wut

But Japan are still accustomed to watching anime weekly. They don't binge it and Japan is still the biggest market for anime.

>and dubbed

Netflix say 90% of anime on their service is watched outside of Japan.

I was just making a guess. I actually have no idea about how or when this will be released beyond "sometime spring 2018"

Might because they already watched it while it was airing on TV.

Nobody in Japan even has Netflix, the service hasn't taken off there at all. It is part of the reason they are getting into anime. The Japanese viewership for this show with consequently probably be relatively low compared to what it could have been on TV.

That's because Japanese consumerism is limited within the country itself, they do not glorify importation despite relying on it almost as much as the US does now.

It's just because there are other online video services that are entrenched and popular already. Plenty of american shit is popular there. Just look at their box office charts for films this year. 7/10 of them are US films.

>no sideburns
>shitty flash animation

Shitty flash animation that will likely be better than 90% of TV anime.

You misunderstand; Netflix is a streaming service that capitalizes on consumerist values in order to appeal to society, where as others capitalize on a capitalistic value. Like Disney, Time Warner, EA, ect. they prefer to focus on the creation of a monopoly rather than competition with other businesses and as such do not pay attention to the quality of their product but the quantity. It glorifies importation, being an efficient and cheap means of product, where as others see importation as a means to an end rather than the end of means.

>t. yuasafag

They are producing so many anime specifially to attract japanese people too. The fact that they then can stream these shows worldwide is one of the biggest reasons why they are investing in original content in every ountry. It cheap and people will like it becuae of its foreign aspect. They are doing the same in italy, germany and india.

Oshiyama is working on it so you can bet this shit is going to look like a classic. Cartoony, sexual and violent animation thats how its going to be and should be.

Its pretty simple, Japan already has popular streaming services before Netflix tried to seriously break into that market and nobody switched to them. It wasn't like that in most western countries where Netflix was there pretty early in the race and they managed to get people on there with exclusive licenses to shows and such initially.

With many of their most popular shows nowadays being Netflix only if they haven't got a good userbase of people watching their shows already it is difficult for them to get new people to pick up the service because nobody is talking about it in Japan in Japanese. Which is another difference, many parts of the world can quite easily join in the western communities, not so much with Japans English. It is kind of like a social network in that respect, if nobody else is using it the utility goes down quite a bit because none of your friends or whatever are going to be talking about the new season of Stranger Things if nobody who speaks a language you know has Netflix to begin with.

I don't think it really has anything to do with anything as heady as you are suggesting. Just that there are already much (in the context of Japan) bigger players in the Japanese market that already have the stuff the Japanese want to see and have been around a while. Hence why their strategy now is to get exclusive Japanese content made for their service that might bait more Japanese people into using it and then watching their other shows and talking about them.

Can he top it?

Netflix wasn't "early to the race" and people switched to it. The situation was similar to how you describe it for Japan.

What? Netflix was around early enough to think offering DVD rentals was a good idea.

What services are you talking about? Years ago japan only had a population of approx 6mill people who watched video on demand so its not really a popular thing for them. They still rent and buy a lot of DVDs. Netflix seems to be close to 2 million subs by next year so they seem to have a big chunk of that population and it will only go higher.

It’d be gay to not fuck Akira.

meme manga

>meme status: 40 years and running, inspiring countless Japanese writers and creators with its meme status, a cornerstone of modern Japanese media only because it's a meme

Well memed I guess

Ishinomori looks almost identical to Tezuka.

yuasa does not fail

we already know yuasa flourishes with good source material, so I expect devilman to reflect the level of greatness his past series' did

Devilman crybaby (2018)

man, I really want this to be great. I hope it's well done. have problems with Murase Ayumu being cast as Ryo though.

Ah, I see Yuasa was able to capture the look and feel of Jinnen well.

Bought the first volume, it's pretty cool. Feels like a good time to be a Devilman fan lately with three different manga coming out (G, the original, Devilman vs Hades) the Cyborg 009 crossover and Crybaby.

Op here. I didn’t know this thread would still be alive and derailed hard.

Don’t forget 50 million copies to its name for such a short manga.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga

Probably the highest budget anime to date, supposedly, it's around 10 times the budget a normal anime would receive.

>Literally at one point, you watch a woman’s bare breasts stretch and warp as the nipples become enormous and erect before turning into mouths with razor sharp teeth that begin eating the screaming people around her.

picked the fuck up

Did she get rape?

She gives them some head, if you know what I mean.

>twitter.com/DevilmanCryBaby
in my veins. now.

That's standard Devilman. Happens in the first couple chapters.

Pretty much like the manga and ovas

Nice source.

pleb here, don't know anything about devilman but do I need to check out previous material before jumping into this?

You should read the manga and watch the OVAs. You could finish both in one evening.