ITT: Wasted Potential

What we could have got
>Amazing steampunk London setting
>Heavy espionage focus
>Geopolitical tensions between the different regions of the UK and colonies
>Morally ambiguous characters and constant spy betrayals

Instead we got totally spies lesbians with daddy issues.

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/MilesExpress999/status/932011694984978432
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>we got totally spies lesbians with daddy issues.
You call that wasted potential?

While I generally agree with you, I have to say that the daddy issue episodes (both Chise's and Dorothy's) were two of the better ones.

As a side note, I was at Anime NYC this weekend which had the director as a guest. When someone asked about season 2 during the Q&A, he basically said "I want to do one, but it's up to Bandai Visual, not me"

>Wasted Potential
This thread.

>totally spies lesbians
Sounds good to me, man.

There would always be a way to improve anything.
I, for one, liked it the way it is

Ange and Princess's story was quite a good stuff. Final 2 episodes was a let down but decent enough

Some other stuff from the Q&A before I forget:

On where the Black Lizard Planet phrase came from:
"The script writer came up with it and I never really asked"

On why London was chosen for the setting:
"I went there once for my honeymoon and liked it"

It's 3am and I'm sleepy, so this is all I can remember off the top of my head, but there were a couple of other good questions. I'll try to remember more of it and post back if this thread is still here tomorrow. The translator seemed kind of incompetent though so I'm not sure how much of it was lost in translation.

Not really. PP could have been better (especially with the ending) but it was alright.

Now this show, by the same studio, is truly what you'd call wasted potential.

>steampunk

if this thread dies, could you post the rest in the /u/ thread?

It was fine. It meandered a bit and I think maybe lost steam, but it was still a good watch.

Guilty Crown is my top pick for this shit because oh boy was that bad. Valverave squandered its at least amusing first season on an abortion of a second.

It was pretty good instead. Now, if they don't make a S2 then that truly would be wasted potential.

Someone on twitter posted something about the director saying that they would make a S2 if they sell enough figures too.
It's funny how instead in Japan he said "we will make a S2 if we sell enough BDs", those Bandai Visual jews know that the only way to grab gaijin money is to sell figures because they won't buy the BDs.

>because they won't buy the BDs.
More like, when the gaijin buy BDs, it's gaijin releases, which bring in almost no money, relativey speaking.

Yeah I meant the Japanese BDs of course, since there is no western release anyway. They know that there is no real market for such a thing in the west anyway, so they might as well just shill the figures and maybe the OST/character song CDs.

that show was fucking garbage

I'd fuck garbage if garbage was anthropomorphized as a cute girl.

Ya'll can't appreciate anime-original stories when they throw them in your face every other season.

>The script writer came up with it and I never really asked

>okouchi
The fucker always come up with interesting premise but can't well execute his ideas.

they could lower the cost of blu rays, put subtitles on them, and not licence them

they could kill funimation this way

It was aots

>totally spies lesbians with daddy issues
The only issue with this is that it's not as good as totally spies

The first episode started out strong but calling it a wasted potential seems like an overstatement. S1 felt like an introduction simply fleshing out each character before actually diving into the main arcs later on.
I do agree with the whole daddy issues thing though. Dorothy, Chise, and Beatrice had the weaker backstories compared to Ange and Princess but they all still hold up as interesting characters for the genre.
Either way, I still think it's a very good show with fantastic art direction.

>Wasted Potential
You mean "I wanted this to be a totally different series from the one it actually was"? The first episode should have made it clear it was more James Bond than a serious spy drama.

>3hz making anything good

I expected it to be boring and only watchable due to shark and that is exactly what I got

>You mean "I wanted this to be a totally different series from the one it actually was"?
Congratulations user, you've cracked the code.

It's almost amazing that they had all that potential for interesting things to happen and they just ended up making the most boring thing ever.

Japan needs to be cured of its exposition fetish

>lesbians
>wasted potential

>Instead we got totally spies lesbians with daddy issues.

That's the best part!

Also

twitter.com/MilesExpress999/status/932011694984978432

All anime is wasted potential once it becomes waifushit.

You sound like someone who backed Under the Dog