I have no idea what the FUCK are even talking about: The Arc

>I have no idea what the FUCK are even talking about: The Arc
Being brainlet is suffering

Other urls found in this thread:

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sum (4x+sqrt(4x^2-1))/(sqrt(2x+1)+sqrt(2x-1)), x=1 to 60
farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/Newtonhtml/node86.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A positive number to any power cannot return a negative. This equation is impossible.

>not understanding middle school math
what the fuck?

>what are imaginary numbers
>being this much of a brainlet

holy shit are you for real? have you never heard of i before?

Math is fun. Pick it up brainlet

That's Euler's identity, brainlet.

Have you ever heard of complex numbers?

e^iπ = Im i*sinπ + Re cosπ = 0 + (-1) = -1
-1 + 1 = 0
Deal with it.

do you ee, bruh?

>You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18.

>"I-I was just pretending to be retarded lol."

This. I shouldn't have dropped out of middle school desu. I can't even watch Monogatari for 5 minutes without looking at a dictionary.

>This equation is impossible.

exp(iπ) + 1 = 0 has no relevance to the story don't worry. It's also pretty much a meme equation at this point like E = mc².

HAHAHAHAHA

>meme equation
>equations can be a meme too
Kill yourself artsfag.

>The Arc
bait

Here's another meme
1 + 2 + 3 + … = -1/12

>I can't count is also a meme

It's one of those equations brainlets toss around to feel like they aren't a brainlet.

>1 + 2 + 3 + … = -1/12
What equation is this?

Everyone in this thread got baited so hard it's painful.
Don't worry OP, the author himself doesn't understand what he's talking about. He probably just read on Wikipedia or somewhere about complex numbers and thought it was the shit without really understanding it. Proof for that is that Araragi gives a false explanation for why this equation is so significant.

Regularised zeta function evaluated at -1.

It's one of these equations certain people hear about, look up, then suddenly it was their favorite equation since they were 10 and discovered their love for mathematics. Therefore, even though it is a valid relation, it is a meme equation.

That one is pretty shitty though.

>Not knowing what meme means

0.999999...=1

No

It's not a meme?

>Proof for that is that Araragi gives a false explanation for why this equation is so significant.

Remind me, what was his explanation exactly?

Holy shit what a good laugh.

>From string theory
No wonder i don't remember it. That chapter was such a pain to go though.

If you study pure mathematics you will also encounter it I assume. I doubt String theory was around when Reimann was alive.

>physicists try to do math
Just pretend all operators are bounded too

>Reimann

Some nonsense about "combining the basis of the natural logarithm, the imaginary unit i, the circumference ration pi, and the integers one and zero" and that being the proof for god's existence.
Bakemonogatari is full with pretentious shit like that. Just like pic related. Most people won't even understand what all this stuff is even when looking it up.

THEY ARE NOT?!

It's really just analytic continuation applied to the p-series.

>animefags

holy shit a bunch of faggots on the anime board talk about math while they're college dropouts .

>Some nonsense about "combining the basis of the natural logarithm, the imaginary unit i, the circumference ration pi, and the integers one and zero"
Isn't that basically it? It is just a true expression where some of the most prominent aspects of mathematics are crammed together, but otherwise the equation is pretty meaningless. It's not like this is the defining equation for any of them.

There's not a SINGLE anime that requires the viewer to not be a brainlet. Even the most pretentious wannabe highbrow shit is in fact trivial. It is cartoons after all.

>What the fuck is i

Someone failed high school algebra.

He still talks about Euler's relation in the novels, no? So my point is still valid. Also he got that part about the Monty Hall problem so wrong I actually had to laugh. Ougi gave an argument for how switching shouldn't make any difference and he literally replied with "that's right but it's still better to switch". Truly the ultimate brainlet show.

Are you pretending to be stupid?

>imaginary
>positive

Not at all, that's why I said the author himself just picked it somewhere up and didn't understand it. My professor for analysis once said "if you understand this equation you understand analysis". There is a big difference between knowing that this equation is true and knowing WHY. The significance is that the complex numbers give you a relationship between the exponential function and the trigonometric functions: exp(i*x) = cos(x) + i*sin(x). This is a really big deal and makes a lot of calculations much simpler. You wouldn't expect for such a relation to exist if you just know that trigonometric functions from triangles.

Nice argument. Maybe your next post will actually have a point.

Can you do middle school math Sup Forums?

user-kun you're like this _ and you need to be like this o

Still doesn't prove anthing he said wrong.

haha yeah

Your post is so stupid there isn't any point to make except point that out.

explain how thats wrong

He was wrong about why that equation is so important, he though it was just because it has e, pi and i in it and quite frankly this is wrong. e^0 + i^2 + sin(pi) = 0 has also all the exact same numbers cramped into it as Euler's equation but this one is completely irrelevant. Do you see my point?

You have to make sense of what you mean by exp(i*x) first. The relationship is not between the exponential and trigonometric functions in R as such, but between their series expansions continued to all of C.

>Implying that it follows the same rules as the real number line
>Forgetting that imaginary numbers have different properties

>m/a/th thread
Please no.

>equation is so important
He never once said that, he said that was one of the reasons it was beautiful.

>animeonlyfags

But the equation "e^{i*pi}+1=0" does not contain any information besides "e^{i*pi}=-1". You could not infer the Euler relation from it. You can equally well say that if you truly understand "e^{i*pi/2}=i" you understand analysis, since it is just the Euler relation evaluated at a different argument. "e^{i*pi}+1=0" is just the prettiest looking one.

Maybe you misunderstood me. When I said that part was wrong I meant that Araragi didn't give any proper answer as to why switching is the correct choice. Instead he contradicted himself by basically saying "yeah you're right switching doesn't make any difference but it's still correct to switch".
Spoken like a true retard.

7320?

Ah shit I didn't realize

heh

69 :^)

>You can equally well say that if you truly understand "e^{i*pi/2}=i" you understand analysis
Precisely, and this is exactly my point. To a mathematician it wouldn't make any difference whether you'd evaluate it at i*pi or i*pi/2, he'd find them equally "beautiful", the anime misses this point entirely and thinks it's just about the constants and not what's behind.
This is just semantics. When you talk about "beautiful" in mathematics you generally mean a powerful statement and an elegant representation.

>Araragi didn't give any proper answer as to why switching is the correct choice

>what is anime cutting narration

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=sum (4x+sqrt(4x^2-1))/(sqrt(2x+1)+sqrt(2x-1)), x=1 to 60
I don't know, you tell me.

math itself is a meme
every single mathematical expression is just a unnecessarilly complicated symbol
then someone comes up with an equation and calls it after himself, and soon you will have to solve the smith equation by using the muller equation which uses the johnson number and the williams number
fuck math and everyone who encourages it

Should I sell a 3DS someone gifted me if they no longer want to talk to me and that bridge is burned apparently forever? I don't use it because it reminds me of them.

>This is just semantics
It's really not. Nothing suggests what you think from reading the LN.

only arithmetics
geometry on the other hand has practical application in the world

arithmetic's non-meme status ends at 4 fundamental operations, anything else is literally a meme

user, I hope all of the people making fun of you didn't turn you off math forever because you don't seem like a brainlet, just ignorant. Most of the people here making fun of you just happen to recognize the equation (because it's extremely famous) and most likely have not given it any real thought and wouldn't know where to even start proving it.

Your statement is correct in the set of real numbers, but this equation is not over the real numbers. Go google "imaginary numbers"

>monty hall problem is infodumped right before
>araragi being araragi somehow makes it wrong

Sup Forums taught me more about mathematics than school ever did

If the show introduces basic mathematics to a general audience, I'm fine really. A pretentious show doesn't have to be a bad show.

That fucking monty hall cop out though, they could've crammed Nash Equilibrium instead of that whole veridical paradox probability bullshit

is there any proof that the shortest distance between two points is a straight line?

I didn't believe that the Monty Hall problem works the way it does until I brute force simulated it. Made me cry for a whole evening about how much brainlet is inside me.

farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/Newtonhtml/node86.html

>if e = -1

This one talks about the base being positive (e): This one talks about the exponent being imaginary (i*pi):

You could have simply drawn a tree diagram and counted the possible results, much simpler since it's not a complex problem. Monte Carlo is however always a neat way to test your math.

retards

>what the moonrunes say

this isfucking pathetic is just a summatory, Sup Forums is plagued with retards who can't do simple summtory equations

>Studying math and physics at uni
>can't solve this
fug
Gimme some geometry problems sempai

Am I supposed to know how to do this by hand? Because I why wouldn't I use a fucking maple?

You won't survive physics in uni without at least a solid background in algebra, user. Work on that.

The joke is that actually calculating it by hand would take forever. Obviously, writing it in summation notation and plugging it into WA is easy to do.

No it wouldn't.

It simplifies very nicely if you know your algebra and notice the telescoping sum. See

wrong thread?
what was the letter about?

You don't have a letter opener?

Did you just do it for the sake of "back of the envelope calculation" or are you really out of paper? Clean work on the solution though.

Basically, you have xe^i*(angle in rads). Pi in rads is 90° so you make a full turn, and get the radius in the negatives (x) as a result. Here, x=1, so you have e^i*Pi=-1.

*180° not 90°.

And you have to make an half turn...

It's a trigonometric identity, genius.