Is SEL actually 'avant garde'? How does it compare to other avant garde art?

Is SEL actually 'avant garde'? How does it compare to other avant garde art?

Other urls found in this thread:

lainon.life/
fauux.neocities.org/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No

The only thing that's really unusual about Lain is that it got produced and aired as a TV anime.

>is SEL actually shit? How does it compare to other shit art?

lainon.life/

its a shame all the lain chans turned to shit

I don't think it's really experimental enough. It's pretty comfortably situated in a time when cyberpunk was popular and its animation doesn't really seem to explore new frontiers. Yuasa shit, like Trapeze is more likely to fit the label.

Naruto can be avant garde at times

>Yuasa shit, like Trapeze
?????

Maybe you should add the word anime to your google search? Come on, nigga, it's not that fucking hard

Studio 4C shorts are closer to actual avant-garde film. Lain is more sensible.

When did Kuuchuu Buranko started being called Trapeze? And I think Yuasa didn't direct it.

it is good but by no means is it avant-garde

Anime on my computer I would consider potentially avant garde:
Gankutsuou
Kanashimi no Belladonna
Mononoke
Soultaker R2

You don’t seem to understand.

Whoops, you're right, it's Nakamura. I've always known it as Trapeze, so I have no idea, but it's got like four different official names.

Lain, like most konaka productions, was pretentious shit. It tries to be deep, philosophical and complex but ultimately that shit is just skin deep and superficial.

Well that's outright wrong. Lain did a very good job of anticipating the position the internet would eventually fulfill in society

None of you ever offer any sort of argument or evidence for this claim

That wasn't what it was about though

If Lain is not about how we relate to the internet and to each other through the internet, then I guess I just misunderstood it.

You can say that it is in general an anti-transhumanist message, but it is also about loneliness and human connection. It's not so much a prediction or criticism about the internet as much as the wired was a way for the story to play out and tie things together. The negatives that happen in Lain don't result from anyone using the wired, just from the wired and Lain being manipulated.

I AM

A GOD

Let's all love Lain!

fauux.neocities.org/

The only real avant garde anime is Utsu Musume Sayuri, everything else is common denominator trash.

Gregory Horror Show exists

Wrong director retard

Yes, that was addressed.

I'd say stuff like Mezzo and A Kite were avant garde, atleast from a western perspective. Memories and similar collections of short works such as Neo-Tokyo and Short Peace did break from the norm. There is also Robot Carnival which has some very strong contenders for avant garde, Genius Party. And then there is Gosenzo-sama Banbanzai! which is a very strange anime and I would say certainly avant garde.

Agreed on Genius Party and Gosenzo-sama, but Memories did not strike me as particularly experimental

It's definitely above its time, considering it was made before the internet became so present in everyone's lives.

avant garde is a jew frankfurtian school meme

end your life pls

heh typical witty soy boy answer
get the redpill son