You always see manga about single fathers raising a daughter...

You always see manga about single fathers raising a daughter, yet rarely about happily married fathers raising children or about single fathers raising boys. Yotsuba Seems to have started the trend.

Is there a word for this genre? Of single fathers raising little girls?

Didn't they have a baby in itazura na kiss? they were married, newlyweds but still married if I remember correctly, though this was not from the first series.
For series completely dedicated from start to finish to happy families, nothing comes to mind right now.

Single mothers raising children is depressing but a single father is endearing.

>Is there a word for this genre? Of single fathers raising little girls?
Closest thing I can think of is the 'lolita complex'.

So true.

Poco's Udon World is about a guy adopting a tanuki boy and coming into terms with his own's father death by raising him and cooking udon.
Is pretty wholesome.
There's also a segment about a kid's show with two cute girls.

Single father protagonists are special since they spend more time with their kid than other anime/manga fathers. Making the kid a girl also adds a degree of difficulty since there's no mother to raise them and no childhood experience to use as reference, all coming together to create a cute and quirky little story. Assuming no Elektra complexes, of course.

i still don't get how the fuck usagi drop ended like that.

Yotsuba wasn't the first Azuma just made his own version
orange yane no Chiisana Ie ?
two divorcees find themselves sharing a house because of a dodgy estate agent combining both sides children eventually they marry and have their own kid.
a little saccharine but a sweet story

DILF fetish and daddy issues throw in the mix.

AW YEAH

There are lots of series where the father is the main character, it's just that the parenting aspect is not really the focus. I can't think of any manga about parenting with both parents off the top of my head right now, but there's definitely a few of them out there.
Those sorts of stories just aren't that popular for various reasons.

Promise me this is not male Usagi drop.

I don't know what it's called but they are pretty cute and wish there'd be more of them.

Yoningurashi

What about single mothers raising children?

What gets me is that this theme can be told in a few genres.
Yotsubato is shounen
Usagi Drop is josei
Aishitzuru Baby is shojo
Sen to Man is seinen.

it's not. but the kid is some kind of a mole and can't speak. it is comfy though

>target audience = genre

>mole
Fucking knew this shit wouldn't end without police involvement.

Its mostly to do with mangaka wanting to have attractive people in their works.

Single fathers seem to be sexy according to pop culture, women like children after all and if a guy takes care of one they seem responsible and so on. Older men are generally more successful with getting laid than older women.

Single mothers from guys perspective are just used goods with extra baggage. Readers might just go "why doesnt she have a husband, whats wrong with her?" while with guys its "if a guy got the custody the woman must've died or something"

this

This. The idea of a single father being a piece of shit is pretty much unimaginable thanks to custody laws.

> Closest thing I can think of is the 'lolita complex'.
Half of these series are written as women and are shoujo genre. Authors probably self-inserting because they wanted dick when they were children and didn't get any.
'Oedipus complex' would describe it from the female POV.

Thanks, would give a try.

>single mothers
>Japan

I think you're unaware of Jap culture.
Her family will literally find her a husband within the week she becomes single.

....Oedipus fucked his mother?
do you mean Electra?

There's a word for what Usagi drop is, right? There was a Japanese term for the fetish toward older men. What was it again?

I don't know any manga dedicated to them, but lots of works include plotlines and chapters dedicated to single motherhood. Tokyo Ghoul, for one.

That’s deppresing.

Somebody hasn't watched Clannad.

jesus christ can we have ONE thread about a show with cute kids without someone saying this

>shoujo genre

Is not my fault that manga turned into the biggest piece of shit. I am still mad and never go near that genre since then. I only read Yotsuba for the healing.

There's nothing wrong with Usagi Drop

Everythig is wrong with your comment.

Read My Girl, pretty much Usagi Drop without the shit end.

>Single fathers raising sons
I can only think of two off the top of my head
>Father and Son
Which is about an ex-delinquent turned high-school teacher raising his pre-school aged son while his wife keeps wandering around disappearing and reappearing randomly throughout the story
>Sodatechi Maou
Three demon lords raise a little kid in hell, the chapters are short, comfy as fuck and has a lot of surprising feels
Another good father child manga is Dad, The beard gorilla and I which is also comfy and full of feels

Actually, there is another one. All Purpose Cultural Cat Girl Nuku Nuku. The father is a scientist taking care of his son. His wife is alive, but they are separated. Best fights over child custody in anime to date.

>happily married fathers raising children or about single fathers raising boys

Chichi to Ko: Father raising son by himself because his wife is perpetually lost.
Cooking Papa: Father protagonist cooks for his wife and son.

Don't be so dumb, there are lots of single mothers in Japan. It isn't some weeb fantasy land where there is no crime and everyone is perfect and hair like you think.

I'd like the give the manga a look, which I think is still ongoing but not 100% sure. The anime sort of shits the bed right at the end.

>implying it isn't common in Disney and western civilization
Yotsubato didn't start anything
Yotsuba is, moreover, special because of her unknown origins

>Yotsuba Seems to have started the trend.
Pretty sure Tale of Genji started that trend, user.

From young guys' perspective, you are right.
You'd be surprised to hear the single mothers are not that unpopular in Japan, many ronery 30-something unmarried men actually search for one to get themselves an instant family.
I was surprised to see one getting so blatantly hit on by 2 guys at a meetup, though she already stated she is a single mother.

If the mother isn't too old, she's proven not barren so there's that to put in the equation as well.

Never thought of it that way. Even in Western films you see this. A single mother struggling is sad and unfortunate but with a single father even if he's going through hell its seen as a beautiful struggle.

Yes, even in the west single mothers are desirable among lonely betas who have nothing but provisioning going for them.

Doesn't change the fact that they're damaged goods

There's that one about the single demon mother raising her demon baby

In that one about the alien wife they have a baby.

>Doesn't change the fact that they're damaged goods
Considering you're posting on Sup Forums, your lack of self-awareness makes you a promising contestant for the Darwin Award.

Oh and in Koi wa Ameagari no You ni the love interest is a 40 something divorced man with a young son.

Endearing is a solid description.

Do you even know what the darwin award is? Try actually googling it up first before mentioning it.
It's not too late to change your retarded posting ways.

What's wrong with the ending? They're not biologically related if I'm not mistaken. Still weird though.

Tsumugi is a treasure

The only thing wrong in Usagi Drop was the mother and son both going full retard.

I just call them fatherhood manga. And boy, I love them. I wish I was a father with a cute (non-sexual) daughteru.
Do we have a complete list of all of them?

How is Yotsuba so perfectly cute? So many writers have troubles writing kids that aren't irritating.

Cooking dad is good. I like the reversed roles with the wife, she is a refreshing wife character I've read in a while.

Innocence, curiosity, and adorableness. No one wants a whiny and rebellious little shit.

Daikichi's reluctant acceptance of Rin is the ultimate expression of his contentment with literally doing it for her

True

Lol
I wish I were genji raising purple lady to be my daughteru

What's wrong with his right leg?

Superior in every way

And then he literally did her

He only put the tip in after waiting like ten years.

But wolf children

What about dads who raise a multitude of children?

It's all the same genre, just different demographics. All of it's largely SOL.

One of her own left the nest at the end, remember that.

heh

what this guy said

needs more tanoshii

Is there any romance in this series?

not really
(pic) is about as hot as it gets

>Sodatechi Maou
This shit is fucking adorable.

Cute.

I've just started watching it
should I usagi drop it now?

just don't read the manga

The biggest problems with Usagi Drop's ending were the fact the romance came out of nowhere and destroyed a perfectly possible pair with the widow.
There's nothing wrong with a romantic end if romantic interest is actually present there.

The anime covers the good part that everybody loved, go for it and pretend that's all there was.

There's one with a monster girl raising the little son of her.
But I don't remember the name.

musuko ga kawaikute