Is Subaru generally a better person than Kazuma?

Both are jerks to be honest but I can't help but think that Kazuma is more an ass than Subaru is.

Yes, Kazuma is the worst.

Maybe, but Kazuma is like 50 times more charismatic as a character.

LN subaru is worse simply for the fact that he's not even endearingly scummy. Just gratingly and unbearably hateable

I do know one thing is that I enjoy seeing them suffer. Also yes, Kazuma is probably far more of an asshole than Subaru.

That's rather surprising given how people say he's a better character in the LNs.

>Sup Forums told me Subaru was relatable
>he's a fucking soyboy simp for Emilia

Kazuma is also smarter and more capable than Subaru, and he's also smarter and more capable than his teammates. Evidence in how Kazuma integrated well with Dusk's party but Dusk couldn't do the same with his.
Except for the Jack Frost case, all of Kazuma's deaths were gags due to his arrogance/carelessness. If he was actually trying he wouldn't die so easily.
As to who is better, Kazuma only wants one girl while Subaru wants both Emilia AND Rem.

>better character

He is. Doesn't mean he's a good or likeable person.

The fuck is this comparison?

Subaru is not a jerk. He is a complete retard who tries to help without even bothering to stop and realize that he is only making things worse. So much worse.
If he was not on the story, the show would have been so much better as a matter of fact.

Kazuma on the other is an actual competent hero who just wanted to live a peaceful life but is being forced to get into crazy situations because he cannot get rid of his burden of an ally. He does not shy away from admitting that he cannot help everyone but he would always be at service whenever the need arises.

Hell, Kazuma actually likes it best when the people solves their own problem instead of relying on the hero

i cant even watch re:zero pas eps 6 because Subaru kek..kazuma is at least relatable

The only thing I got from this is that Subaru tries and fails whilst Kazuma doesn't try and doesn't fail. Huh... Kind of made me think.

Scummy characters are better than boring ones.

Subaru is self righteous faggot who gets off on patronizing others while also being totally incompetent to do so. That's why he is kinda cringe when he tries to teach others morals without any understanding on what's going on.

Kazuma is an asshole but he is surrounded by assholes and weirdos of different types so it feels kinda balanced story wise. He don't try to patronize anyone and has his own agency. He is not a morally good person and he is not trying to appeal as good person, but he is fun character.

Subaru is more generic mc acting like a hero etc and Kazuma is more like an antihero acting like a jerk and stuff

Subaru kept on believing that the world revolves around him. All his deaths could have been avoided if he wasn't so eager to be an attention whore.

If he never existed, Emilia would have been able to catch the thief and get back to the contest as if nothing happened.
The loli would have remained with the grandpa
Rem would have remained by her sister
The ice furry would have killed Betelgues
etc etc

Subaru was the one making a mess and pretends to be the hero behind it all

Subaru is a decent but retarded person
Kazuma is a scumbag but is pretty smart

Wow, that's a pretty good crossover.

That's bullshit and you know it.

Subaru is an entitled navel gazing sociopathic jerk. Kazuma is a lazy dirty bastard

One is funny, the other is irritating. technically speaking Subaru is a better human, but he's no where near as endearing or entertaining as Kazuma.

Subaru is one of those people who believes themselves to always be in the right. He's scummy in a way that isn't relateable, because he quite literally doesn't comprehend that he's in the wrong. His selfishness and inability to see problems from any perspective than his own is what causes almost all of his problems, and yet he doesn't, and possibly cannot, see that. The shear amount of trouble he causes for others because of these flaws make him not just negligent but nearly malevolent. If he didn't cause huge amounts of suffering and pain wherever he went you could almost pity him, because he genuinely believes he's doing the right thing. But just because he erases some of that suffering by his random flailing to fix it, doesn't mean that suffering didn't happen

Kazuma is a lazy perverted NEET who managed to stumble into a situation where he could indulge himself, and he does. Nothing Kazuma ever does causes more than momentary harm to people, and he has been known to do the right thing on occasion, sometimes even for the right reasons.

tl;dr Kazuma is more directly selfish and scummy but Subaru is a walking tornado of suffering, even if he thinks he's doing the right thing, it doesn't balance out.

But it doesn't matter, because we're comparing a Comedy to a fucking Drama. The two characters aren't really comparable because the design of their series isn't

Stop reading at >catch the thief
Subaru while trying and fucking up everything, has done great deal of good to that world and the whole reason Emilia can have a real chance to win the crown is because of his meddling.

>But it doesn't matter, because we're comparing a Comedy to a fucking Drama. The two characters aren't really comparable because the design of their series isn't

Except your very own post provided a somewhat illuminating comparison between the two. In fact, it's valuable to compare and contrast art from various strands of genre and tone.

Subaru is generally nice to the people he cares about. But for the people he doesn't care about they usually end up like:
>Subaru remembered the way of talking Carmilla used that pissed him off. Carmilla naturally held onto her head for the time being upon seeing the harsh look Subaru had in his eyes.
>[Carmilla: I won’t…please…d-don’t hit me….]
---
>[Subaru: Do…..do you not understand what you did?]
>[Carmilla: Even though Echidna-chan sa…..said to just spoil you….and then it…..it would go well….it tu-turned out like…….e-even when I told her no…]
>[Subaru: LISTEN…..!!]
>[Carmilla: E-everyone…..ganged up..o-on me..th-they bullied me……th…that’s right. E-even Echidna-chan..did. They did that and…terrible…..te-terrible..]
>[Subaru: Do you not understand what LISTEN MEANS!?]
>Subaru realized that he had raised a voice that cracked from squeezing air from his lungs while yelling. He realized it, but it immediately escaped his mind when he remembered how serious the hatred that burned his body was. Any concern other than his suffocation and his irritation that was going to crack his chest was trivial. Her mouth that hesitantly and timidly let out complaints again and again was closed. Subaru threw all of his anger and all of his previous pain at her as he tried to get her to understand just what she—-
This. Kazuma may be a scummy bastard but I don't think he's actively hit, strangles or killed people like Subaru has.

Yes and it's better if the green girl wins.
She has years of experience in leading the guild and managing armies and conflicts. The hell can Emilia do?

Just let her die or quit the game and fade in peace

If Kazuma could reset and retain memories he would probably rule the world by now, meanwhile sub 70 IQ Subaru can barely figure out how to wipe his ass.

Pretty sure it was already confirmed that Kazuma's luck is so damn high he could easily kill the Demon Lord.
It just happened that his allies suck it all up into a black hole of ill fate

If Kazuma were in a different genre he could easily be cast as a straight out villain running around stealing underwear and doing whatever it takes to get ahead.

The presentation and consequences are different in a Comedy vs other genres. As an example the frogs he keeps letting his friends get eaten by could easily be quite a lot more dangerous in another genre, if this were the case he'd be considered outright evil for just letting his friends get eaten by them out of sarcasm or spite.

You can have an somewhat illuminating discussion, but the essential differences between genres makes any comparison flawed from the beginning, and so conclusions can never be concrete or dependable.

If Emilia dies, half of the world would permaforsted in ice. You'd bring about an apocalypse you turd. While Crusch is a great candidate, she would've also died at the White Whale subjugation without Subaru's meddling. I'm willing to bet almost every one of the Candidates apart from maybe Priscilla died if Subaru didn't interfere with Elsa's attempt to assassinate Emilia.

Kazuma is just a casual ass. Subaru is a straight up narcissistic scumbag.Plus, Kazuma has the benefit that all his traits are for the sake of comedy.

>Le green one
Kek, i would cheer for her if it weren't for the facts that she is without memories and cursed by black shit

I wouldn't say Subaryu isn't smart, he has keikakuu'd his way out of a lot of stuff. Such as winning a bet against a 400 year old mage and the Witch of Greed, who just so happens to be the Witch of Knowledge.

To be fair she did piss him off by trying to copy oni girlfriend.

And she wont.
She'll just get kicked from the contest and live a humble life elsewhere.

Nah she won't. She won't even get to the White Whale.
And even if she died, the Merchant white girl would take place.

You may complain about her being potentially corrupt but her experience in business and finance would lead to the kingdom into getting rich

No, he is actually dumb as fucking shit, anyone who isn't as mentally challenged as he is could have accomplished a hundred times more in the amount of time he has.

Subaru's not a jerk he's just an idiot. Meanwhile Kazuma is an actual trash of a human being but he's forgiven since his character fits the genre that he's written in. But if you really do compare them, Subaru as a person is a far better given that he has shown that he's willing to always help those in need. Whereas Kazuma will in fact turn a blind eye to all of the for his convinience and will abandoned you given he gets a chance of being in a better party.

If Subaru was the MC of Konosuba he'd be more akin to the butt monkey than Aqua would be and most likely end up as a doormat.

>The Leper Negative ACC
>Lalatina

Subaru went on to challenge a champion knight just because he practiced free speech on Emilia.
Then he went on to make a mess of himself and blamed Emilia for it
Oh, and he didnt killed himself to win against the knight at least

No way to defend that complete stupidity

>The virgin Subaru
>The chad Kazuma
There is a clear difference

Remember that Kazuma hasn't fugged any of them yet.

Kazuma gets jacked off by succubi.
Subaru jacks himself off.

If you base everything on the anime maybe, but for the WN he's done a good number of things and pulled a lot of strings, he is also more pragmatic in his approach across all boards. The only thing that is stopping him is Satella. But that's what you get when you try to view through an imperfect adaptation.

>No way to defend that complete stupidity
Actually. Its Witch fuckery, as well as trying to live his fantasy for "being the main protagonist" during those times he thought of them as NPC's more than people, he has a twisted kind of Pride.

The Virgin Reset
The Chad Luck Rate

You guys are seriously over estimating Kuzuma.

>virgin Subaru
Nothing wrong with saving it or a special somebody.

It took him 20 episodes to realize that he is not the center of the world, user

I've honestly never seen a stupider character

Subaru wants to be Kazuma, but he is too disgusting and uncharismatic that he makes everyone hate him on 1st sight.

Kazuma knows you don't stick your dick in crazy.

He attracts lolis, witches and knights though.

He's also even less of a good person in the WN than he is in the anime. He might think he's doing things for the "right" reasons (which are twisted, because he's a selfish coward) but he goes about them in some pretty awful ways.

>Request the services of succubus
>Gets 5 women under his orders in the verge of death
>Behaves like and alpha in front of Darkness while in the bathroom
>Daily bullying of Aqua for his stupidity and gives 0 fucks about it
>Would use violence in woman with no problem
>Literally the dominant male in a ever-increasing pack of attractive woman
>Steal panties in broad daylight
Chad a fuck.

That's Kazuma. He attracts them all so hard he wanted them out of the party

How'd that turn out when he wanted some Megumeme puss, hmm?

I mean... Aqua exists.

There are already several posts here noting, for example, that the comedic tone of konosuba compliments Kazuma's scumbaggery, so people are already accounting for the differences.

>The presentation and consequences are different in a Comedy vs other genres.
And this is why drawing this sort of comparison is particularly illuminating on a meta level. Noting that each characters' setting permits them to take certain actions and presents them in certain ways that would likely not be possible upon a genre switch raises questions about how the world really works (i.e. the "consequences") and how you choose to view it (i.e. the "presentation"). Of course, you do have to be mindful of the genre difference in order to do this instead of doing a direct side-by-side comparison of the characters.

That's not stupidity, that's called being egotistical and narcissistic which has been pointed out by numerous characters within the series. Since with other characters who take their time talking to him such as Otto, Rem, Echidna and Wilhelm he is a more rationally different person.

>kazuma and aqua in re:zero
>first episode Aqua already lift the curse on kazuma..Hijinks ensue

Take this for example:
>Subaru: “But is this something that really goes so smoothly? I don't know the theory of it, but I've got a rough image of what doing it'd be.”
>Downloading your own memories and knowledge into an empty vessel. Were the process one involving data, Subaru likely would not show so much exception with it.
>But the topic being discussed here is personality of an individual person. A person whose appearance and substance Subaru knew.
>Subaru: “Extract your memories, and insert them in the empty body. Say it succeeds and you can repeat the process every time the body starts degrading, then that's definitely a kind of immortality. But...”
>Passing down personalities and memories was indeed close to conquering death. If you preserved your personality in a similar way to data, then even if by some mistake the body was destroyed, it could be installed into a new vessel, making recovery possible. Duplicable personalities, and duplicable bodies. —That was the theoretical groundings of Echidna's immortality.
>—But, then,
>Subaru: “It's the idea where people panic when they run into alternate universe versions of themselves, and get struck with a sense of obligation that they absolutely must remove the other.”
>Lewes says nothing.
>Subaru: “That's how unbearable it must feel to have yous who aren't you existing. The future I see just in imagining it makes me feel sick. Hey, Lewes-san.”
>Lewes: “What?”
>Subaru: “So being able to make multiple... Lewes Meyer bodies like this means, you can fling your personality into every one of the bodies. Basically, you're not just limited to perpetuating yourself temporally, you can also make multiples of yourself.”

Compared to how he talks with
>Emilia: “...What did you just say?”
>Subaru: “I wanna pick up that pretty hair of yours and ogle the back of your neck so hard, Emilia-tan.”

She's a highly successful religious leader who just happened to lack commoner's experience.

Same thing, really. Stupidity encompasses all sorts of wrong perception including overblowing one's self image and importance to the point of dehumanizing others

My boy Kuzuma is the greatest MC of the decade, I can't remember any other MC who could be more based and likeable.

Well yeah, but you're just blanketing the term despite you pointing out speciically which kind of stupidity you are referencing to. Which is his ability to manage tasks and overall brightness to situations. Practical stupidity, not emotional stupidity. Which what I was counter arguing about.

She's a legit retard.

You reek of Animeonly.

Aqua is just dumb as a brick. And she's a goddes, not the Pope

And how it parallels with

Kazuma wouldn't be able to do half of the things Subaru has done. He'd perpetually be in a timeloop being the capital with the world suddenly blasting into a world of ice without knowing what's even happening or how to fix it because he'd undoubtedly miss out on meeting Emilia or straight up ignore her from the second meeting onwards.

More like
>Aqua attempts to lift curse on Kazuma, Kazuma squirms away because there's no advantage to dying and not coming back
>finds a way to kill himself painlessly and exploits return on death to do all kinds of scummy shit
>ends up pissing Satella off, doesn't give a fuck, somehow finds a way to blackmail her

Her faithful are all rich and wise men with a beautiful city founded for her name.
She's a genuis in the way of religious value

Of course mate

Well Kazuma can't actually avoid if if we are to infer how Subaru is entangled by WoE which would mean Kazuma would be entrapped by the same thing, manipulated by the same thing and pushed by the same thing. The only thing that would pan differently is how well Kazuma can handle trying to bypass a bound fate or so to speak.

If Kazuma was alone, his luck rate would settle all conflicts in a day

That goes to the people who worship her not herself, she has shown none of that intelligence and is canonically dumber than a brick.
Kazuma would break given the time loop reset shit. It's not something that you get away scott free.

Kazuma is only an asshole to people who deserve it. Towards good people he is, at worst, apathetic.

Live on screen she rebuild the faith of someone who was falling to Eri's faith. And she knows that someone was poisoning the hot spring just by reading her followers

His luck would get absorbed by Priscilla's all encompassing super luck and thus, he dies.

>claiming aqua isnt a total retard
For a person defining stupidty you really do encompass it.

He actively searches for a peaceful death so sure, whatever.

>thinking luck could save you from witches
Guess who happened to be born under the most luckiest of stars yet still managed to die? Reinhardt fucking died from Regulus' bullshit.

Its a pain in the ass how I actually have to concede in regards to this. Kazuma has the same kind o bullshit luck as Priscilla that he'd win just by standing around doing nothing.

Her INT stat is low but her wisdom is high
There is something weird about Priscilla luck, i really want her arc to come around.

Kazuma luck is second to goddess of luck

Divinity means absolutely nothing in Re:Zero.

Reinhard let himself be killed, and in the end it didn't matter because Regulus died and Reinhard used his Continue hax blessing.

Aqua casts OP healing spells and has an entire city willing to die for her.

That's not being retarded, that's being a genuis savant. Einsten never realized he could heat water and boil eggs at the same time

>Chatacter is capable of absorbing others luck
Yeah, another reason to don't even bother to finish Re;ddit

Subaru is a scumbag, Kazuma is an asshole.

There's a very key difference.

>Subaru is a narcissist, Kazuma is an asshole.
FIFY

Same difference, honestly.

Just wait until you see this red head absorb other people's blessings and inadvertently killed Wilhelm's wife because of it.

narcissists are scumbags

Crusch may not have ever encountered the white whale without subaru and even if she were routed it's not certain she'd die in a failed subjugation.
It's only certain that without subaru the white whale probably wouldn't be killed any time soon.

It works like that in many levels of life

>tfw I much prefer Subaru than Kazuma
JUST

Actually in the ayamatsu IF where he never met Crusch or Wilhelm, they still died to the whale and archbishops. Rem also gets assassinated by Meili still and the only really let alive is Emilia, Ferris, Otto, Roswaal and Ram.

Read the Ayamatsu IF for fuck sakes it is arguably one of the most important IF stories currently.

Wilheim expend years in the tail of the whale, and discovered a pattern, thats why they were arming themeselves with weapons, they knew the whale was coming but they didn't know where exactly and in what moment was going to appear.
And of course, lots of people would've died, almost everyone, probably.

Post arc 3 or post arc 5 he gets really good. Before that he was just a pain in the ass.

You see, all of that made me like his character even more. He's a doofus with an ego but he's very early in his development, he'll be greater than he'll ever be in the next couple of Arcs I'm sure , all of that suffering will forge him like good stainless steel.