ITT: Characters who get a lot of unjustified hate from "fans" who missed the point. I'll start

ITT: Characters who get a lot of unjustified hate from "fans" who missed the point. I'll start.

Other urls found in this thread:

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35756882
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

But everyone in Evangelion was designed to be unlikable on purpose. You can understand them and empathize with them, but not liking them is the intended reaction.

I think that was suposed to be "the point", that everyone's a bit of a cunt and getting along with people means you're gonna get hurt.

But he deserved the hate for being a stupid cunt and not believing in Simon.

There is nothing wrong with having a backup plan. Simon's tactics were OK when it was just dai-gurren having adventures on their own, but now that they're responsible for the lives of a million people, they need contingencies in case the hail mary play fails.

>they need contingencies
Which don't include putting your best fucking hope for survival on death row because you think it MIGHT calm down rioting retards

>society will destroy itself before the aliens even get a chance to touch us!
>better put a stop to it!
>wrong

>Betray the guy who's the only fucking reason you're not living underground and killing kids over and over
Rossiu should have pulled the trigger

I don't know about you, but their hate is pretty justified. Only reason you say they "missed the point" is because you have no idea how to defend their actions.

Okada self insert characters always get exactly all the hate they deserve.

Sayaka may have made some mistakes, but she doesn't deserve the hate

Most people actually like him. Sup Forums and BL hate him for no reason

None of his plans worked though and the instant they started fucking up instead of backing down and letting Simon do his thing he doubles down, acts like a fucking idot and almost gets everyone killed. Then after Simon and the crew save the day he slinks off and tries to kill himself. Rossiu deserves all the hate he gets for being a stupid little bitch.

I hate her for being a representation for what I hate in people in general. When she has the upper hand she acts all cool, calm, and collected. When she doesn't have the upper hand she wallows in self-pity, refuses help, and blames the world for not living up to her own stupid ideals that not even she can properly live up to.

She's not a bad person, but I don't respect her

Name one person from that show that actually lived up to their ideals

She got better in Rebellion. Like were you an ideal person at her age?

Mami actively works to make the world a better place in a well thought out way. She works selflessly when she can, forges friendships when possible, and know how to put her foot down in a way that avoids conflict as much as possible. Even in her mental breakdown where she starts killing her friends, it's consistent with the belief that witches make the world a worse place.

Like I said, not a bad person, perfectly fine for a person her age to be. But as a character representing an idea she isn't meant to be seen as a good role model.

And I know she gets better in Rebellion, on it's own she's amazing in Rebellion. But it doesnt look like she learned any lessons and matured to me, it just seems like she's a person who can't handle adversity and in Rebellion she's lucky enough to live in a time line where she doesn't have to face it.

>Mami
>living up to her ideals
>"My heart and actions are utterly unclouded! They are those of MURDER!"

Damn user it’s almost like some people are actually emotionally weak/fragile and end up making severe mistakes as a result.

Sayaka hate was always petty. Urobutcher knew what he was doing with the character.
user, she's a hormonal teenager who gets caught up to some out of this world shit she couldn't have been prepared for and struggles with operate within it. Sayaka has a good heart and wants to do the right thing. She tried to be the type of magical girl she believed Mami was, who was strong and selfless; she didn't see in Mami what she saw in herself, weakness and selfishness. She tries to hide those aspects rather than face and accept them. Once she leapt into the truly harsh world of magical girls, her antics and behavior screw her over.

Don't fall into the trap: you're not supposed to hold her or any character to a standard. Sayaka held herself to an impossible standard and beat herself up for it. You don't hate Kyouko for her darwinist shit, because that's how magical girls survived in that universe. You don't hate Mami when she tries to kills the team. You don't hate Homura because AI YO. It ain't about how someone ought to be or what they ought to do, they're just people with hopes and desires.

I don't understand people who hate characters for being flawed. Do you want to watch something with only characters who perfectly represent their ideals? That sounds boring as hell, real people are flawed and multifaceted, and almost any well-written character will never be some paragon of virtue. I guess it doesn't really make sense to me to hate a character that makes the overall work more interesting.

I like those two though

That's not what empathy means.

Empathy is the ability to recognize and understand the feelings/perspective of others. It does not mean approving of them.

She is probably the only fictional character i hate with all my soul.

that's because you missed the point

Does Sup Forums really hate him, though? People acknowledge his flaws, sure, but trying to invalidate him entirely is more of a FGOcancer thing from what I've seen.

No. I can understand that you don't want to die and kill you in cold blood. I'm pretty sure nobody would call that empathy.

That literally is empathy by definition though.

>Mami actively works to make the world a better place in a well thought out way. She works selflessly when she can, forges friendships when possible, and know how to put her foot down in a way that avoids conflict as much as possible. Even in her mental breakdown where she starts killing her friends, it's consistent with the belief that witches make the world a worse place.
You're idolizing the character, ironically just as Sayaka did. Mami IS a great person but she has her glaring flaws. She puts up this strong image so she can live on. She made it seem like a great battle between good and evil, heroic magical girls vs selfish/evil ones, though it really wasn't that simple. Homura had a point that Mami was sort of luring these kouhai into the magical girl world, because she wanted the companionship. She couldn't bear that scary and lonely life.

Her breakdown isn't something to try to valorize because it's not something to criticize someone for. She reached her breaking point upon realize the ugly truth about magical girls. It's sad.

Are you stupid? The cognitive ability to understand the feelings of others is called perspective taking. It's not empathy.

I'm with him on this one, I think empathy is less about understanding someone's feeling and more about sharing those feelings with them. When you say you empathize with someone you're not really saying "I see your point", you're saying "I know that feel".

>hate

They're supposed to be relatable. Perhaps eva really is "2deep4u".

Is this a full size pic?

140 IQ character.

>Are you stupid? The cognitive ability to understand the feelings of others is called perspective taking. It's not empathy.
Empathy:
>the psychological identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.
Being able to "put yourself in another's shoes" DOES NOT equate to approving of those feelings. I can understand why Shinji is a little faggot and the circumstances that drove him to become one, but I still think that he is insufferable.

Enlighten me then.

>I can understand that you don't want to die
empathy
[em-puh-thee]
noun
the psychological identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.

Kuybey

Like I said, she's like what I dislike in general.

>but I still think that he is insufferable
That means you don't empathize with him. You might sympathize with him, though.

You are a dumb asshole that can't take responsibility for himself and his own feelings. You want to think of yourself as a good person even though you would dismiss the existence of another person. You are the absolute lowest kind of trash.

Nadeko Sengoku. Yeah she's not a wonderful character, and seems a bit of an ass especially when she's trying to kill *said persons* but, I really don't feel like she's a bad person nor does she deserve the hate she gets :L

Well, you can empathize with him and still criticize his actions, if that's what you mean.

I believe so.
pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=35756882

I honestly can't tell if you two are genuinely retarded or trolling, well done

I don't think saying someone is "insufferable faggot" qualifies as objective criticism.

This *is* Sup Forums

It works in Shinji's case

>s-someone doesn't like me
>t-they must be trolling
It's OK, user. I think you are scum but I still empathize with you.

"Best Bro Friend" characters tend to get a lot of hate, (i.e., Ron from HP). This happens because the author tends to make them have all the flaws, be the comic relief and makes them fuck up and be the ones to call the hero out. Sometimes they'll be inferior to the hero physically (fat, minority, glasses) or mentally (stupid, antisocial, nerdy). While this makes them a great foil to the MC, people don't want to emphasize with them. They want to be the MC, free of flaws. They want to be the (badly written, bland foil) villain, who can challenge the hero without getting hate for it like the MC can.

I'm not even the guy you were originally replying to

No both "insufferable" and "faggot" are subjective qualifiers that reflect one's personal opinion. There is nothing remotely objective about them.

She's a spoiled, manipulative brat and I hate her as a person, but I absolutely love her as a character. I'm not sure if this means I get it.

Well, it's not really objective, but I guess it's acceptable criticism in a situation where we all know what he did and there's no reason to elaborate on what exactly it is that makes him an insufferable faggot.

He panicked. I sort of understand when Simon and others act nonchalant. He's a better civilian leader and should have just left the fighting to the ones specialized in it.

Don't worry, it applies to you as well.
But since you ask, no, being able to cognitively recognize the feelings of another is not "psychological identification".

exactly how I feel. as a person she deserves the hate. but as a character I think she's brilliant. And I've seen a lot of people criticize her character which is beyond me really.

>objective
>criticism
There's that meme again

Explain to me why Gil hate is unjustified. Hard mode: no husbandofagging

Once in a while you get people forcing /r9k/ shit in place of not understanding what's going on.

sympathy

ˈsimpəTHē/

noun

understanding between people; common feeling.

empathy

ˈempəTHē/

noun

the ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Recognition and identification are straight-up synonyms, try graduating middle school english before arguing about word definitions. You're either a child or trolling, I'm done with this argument.

God, what a bitch

>it's acceptable criticism in a situation where we all know what he did and there's no reason to elaborate on what exactly it is that makes him an insufferable faggot.
"Insufferable faggot" is used to convey your personal attitude towards something and not its objective qualities. The fact that other people might happen to find someone insufferable faggot for similar reasons as another person just means that you happen to share a subjective experience. In this case it can be said that you empathize with each other but you certainly don't empathize with the insufferable faggot in question.

recognition of something =/= identification with someone
I can recognize that you are a retard but I don't identify as a retard.
Learn English for God's sake.

>as a person she deserves the hate. but as a character I think she's brilliant.
What is the logic behind this. I could never figure out how a person who would say that thinks.

He is directly, in your face, presented as over the top fuck rules character, a caricature on the shounen characters, even his signature move is tanking enemy attacks and losing because of it because he cant be fucked.

Hating that is like hating on Dio or Vegeta, for me he is always the parody character.

They are just jealous.

It's pretty simple, really. You judge characters as people and as fictional characters with different metrics. Something that makes someone a good person might make them a boring character and vice versa.

How do we fix Mami's smile and sense of justice?

You are supposed to hate those characters though. Just not in a blood boiling way but in a "oooh you fucker" way.

I think the way her character in general is developed makes you partly like her but hate her guts(if that makes sense AT ALL) but Its probably due to how well done snake god Nadeko Sengoku is. I dislike her, the same way you dislike a lot of villains (maybe- negan from the walking dead) they're cunts, but their characters are amazing.

No. I understand that. You can dislike a character as a person but think they are well-written in the same way you can dislike a real person for various subjective reasons but think they have some good qualities.
What I don't understand is the feeling of satisfaction when people say something like that. What exactly do you think that says for you as a person?
Being able to separate your subjective from your objective perceptions is a good thing but people who brag about being able to appreciate that a "bad" person can still be a well-written character don't do it to helpfully correct the logical fallacy that another person might have made.
What are you thinking exactly? That it makes you look smart? That you are a great psychologist that has seen to the dark depths of human nature? Exactly what?

I feel like you're projecting a lot of shit onto us here, no one's bragging about anything, I, for one just enjoy the contrast between the two sides. It's also an important distinction to make in the context of the thread, that the hate Nadeko gets for her personality is justfied, while the hate the character gets is not.

Sorry, I didn't mean to attack you personally.
I acknowledge that some people might feel something akin to scientific interest, a curiosity so to say and you might be one of those people.
There might be other types of people as well but the one that triggers me is the certain breed of people that seem to get some sort of satisfaction from morally judging other people. Like, they would respond to anyone trying to sympathize with a commonly disliked character with "Oh, no, they are intentionally written to be bad people because the author wanted to show how objectively bad they are.So deep." I don't understand the logic behind this. Anyone?

>someone took the time to draw this

Bless their heart.

I always liked Sayaka, flaws and all, but don't see how anyone could still dislike her after she became an MVP in Rebellion.

Sayaka got royally btfo in Rebellion

How long does it take to gitgud at drawing? I don't mean professional tier, I mean progressing past Deviantart tier

I really liked Corkus as a cynical counterpoint to a lot of the idealization of ambition in early Berserk.

Physically, but not morally.

I don't hate Sayaka, she's just obviously the worst girl and I can't understand how anyone favors her.

I thought she had the most fleshed out downward spiral in the original series next to Homura, and she got a nice little redemption arc to kicking off her role in Rebellion in contrast to Homura's continued psychological downward plummet.

If there ever is a sequel of sorts I hope that their rivalry dynamic is built on more.

He's still number 2 to Lelouch, but the hate is unreal. It's less there aren't reasons to dislike him but that the hate is often hypocritical.
She opposed Homura. As with above, oppose my fav = hate.

Literally who hates Corkus?

I love her so much. She's so nice and bland that it makes sense why the MC's so attached to her in the fucked up world that is GANTZ.

I'll fight anyone IRL who thinks Chitoge isn't the best girl

I hated mami when she tried to kill her team. In fact that's exactly what makes her worst girl.