I hear alot of people claim 2003 is better than brotherhood because it had a deeper ending...

I hear alot of people claim 2003 is better than brotherhood because it had a deeper ending. Can one of you clarify what exactly was so deep about it?

They went to GERMANY! DEEP!

The themes of transhumanism were pretty engaging

in the mid 2000's pretentious pseudo-intellectualism was at full swing, just look at the gojirion EVA fags that came out of nowhere despite being way too young to have actually seen it airing.

it's not actually better than brotherhood, anyone with a semi-decent powerlevel can tell you this.

Man this guy was retarded, I forgot about him.

It's hard not to be deeper than happy copout ending with mc beating the shit out of the main villain via the power of friendship.

It was better for more than just that. The story was tighter, the characters where more interesting and their indevidual arcs where better handled, the plot had far more intrigue and tackled deeper concepts like the value of a human life, trans-humanism, and the existence of the soul. Most importantly, it cut out everything to do with the other the not-chinese character, who really just muddied the plot and setting, while taking valuable screen time from more relevant, more interest characters.

/thread

None of this is true. 99.9% of it was pulled out of the writers ass at the last moment. The Deviantart kids love it because its edgy and a character gets raped. Literal fanfic tier shit.

I like 03 better but its not because of the ending. The story just had better pacing and the early episodes were handled so much better. I know its because brotherhood didnt want to spend too much time rehashing what the audience already saw and lose viewers so they rushed what was already done. But it really was a detriment to the story if someone started with brotherhood. Also never liked the art style in brotherhood.

The 2003 version was edgy fanfic bullshit that basically took the "one is all, all is one" moral of the story and pissed all over it so they could add rape, Nazis and have Lust recite an emo poem after killing some dude

This post sums it up well. The ending in 03 isn't very good at all but up until episode 30 or so, everything 03 and Brotherhood covered was done better in the former. There are a few fantastic original bits in 03 too, like Greed's death, but they are few and far in between after the first half or so of the show.

Breeds death, oh yeah I forgot about that. Yeah when Ed went full ooc and killed someone. Then after said death the story kicked into high gear full retard mode.

Literally no one says that. This is the first time I've ever heard someone say 'it was good because it was deep'. First of all, what does that even mean? Especially within the context of a shounen. The entire series, manga included, has a fanbase of pretentious pseudo-intellectuals so other user is just missing the mark. Also, in regards to his comment, I don't understand what being too young to have watched it (Eva) while it was airing has to do with anything. Its a classic for a reason. People of all generations can take something from it because its themes aren't dated but rather very relevant even today and likely will be for the foreseeable future. Looking down on someone for not having seen something when it was brand new is just asinine, old man mentality that shows just how jaded you are.

But in terms of FMA, the 2003 adaption is considered better than Brotherhood by many, including myself, because of how it was handled overall. Putting aside the point where it diverged from the manga, it did a great job of expanding not only the characters but also the world they live in. It felt like a real adventure and I don't think its lack of 'darkness' is a point against it. The manga wasn't all doom and gloom like Brotherhood is - and you can't say its not because the few comedic parts felt forced. Like wow, haha, look how random Ed is being. What a silly boy. Whereas 2003 found a really nice balance between the serious moments and the lighter ones. It didn't take itself too seriously, even up until the very end. Now, Conqueror of Shambala is another story altogether that flushed it all down the toilet and definitely DID take itself too seriously but we're talking about the anime here. Not the movie. I'm not a fan of Brotherhood for all the reasons above and because it just kind of sucked all the life out of the story. A panel-by-panel adaption is all great and well but it kind of loses its merit when it has no soul.

American are excited when nazi lose

I agree with this.

That is to say, it felt more like the animators considered it work rather than a passion project. Overall, Brotherhood was dull and not particularly interesting. Whats more, the way they handled the first few episodes was negligent at best. The fact that they decided 2003 had established everything so well that they didn't even try to touch it again is testament to how masterfully crafted it was. But even putting that aside, the choice they made to skip those important parts made Hughes's death seem like it wasn't a big deal. Which it was. It was the start of the domino effect that spiraled into the entire rest of the series so I definitely think they could've skipped the whole deal with Nina, if they were going to skip anything, and give Hughes the focus he deserved.

Like I said, I for one don't care for a 1:1 adaption if it doesn't tell the story well and I do think Brotherhood failed at that.

Brotherhood greed still had a more impactful death imo.

I think both versions are good and I think 2003 did some things better (like homunculus) but overall I enjoyed brotherhood more because it felt like a bigger adventure, and felt like it was deep and lorey and shit (I like stuff like the flask guy eating god, different types of alchemy, etc.)

>Ed went full ooc and killed someone
I don't think I've ever seen someone misunderstand a scene that badly

FMA 2003 didn't tell its story we'll and was rife with asspulls.That was the first one people saw so they have some nostalgic attachment but it simply doesn't hold up. At all.

>2003 FMA was "deep"

Sure...

>people can't go back and watch a good show like Evangelion
I agree with you for the most part but what the fuck

>But it really was a detriment to the story if someone started with brotherhood
I never felt that way. Brotherhood was my first and it had me hooked since the first episode.

Plebian: Brotherhood
Contrarian: 2003
Patrician: 2003 until Hughes' death and then switch to Brotherhood