What is the most pretentious anime you've ever seen?

What is the most pretentious anime you've ever seen?
Hardmode: No Evangelion.

Is this worth watching?

Yes. Just don't go into it expecting a hardcore cyberpunk series like GitS or Armitage III. It's more of a psychological drama journey-of-self-discovery type thing. Similar to Evangelion in that sense. It's unlike most things we see nowadays. It can be a bit slow-paced but it's very atmospheric with a great OST.

Limit Cycle from Genius Party.
>dude just thrown a bunch of techno babble and pseudo philosophical concepts so it appears deep!

It was fun until it went overboard with the exposition

If by pretentious you just mean art house then paprika, which I thoroughly enjoyed.
If youre talking about being super esoteric just for the sake of it then maybe rebellion? Though I saw madoka ages ago so maybe I was too retarded then.

This would definitely be it.

Kekkai Sensen
>to be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Kekkai Sensen blah blah
Making everything as complicated and convoluted as you can =/= good or smart.

This.

WHAT THE HELL?
>to be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Kekkai Sensen blah blah
Who says that? It's not even deep or complicated, you're just a brainlet.

>Everything I'm too dumb to understand is automatically pretensious THE THREAD

>If by pretentious you just mean art house
Nope not what I had in mind, I meant anime that's up it's own ass jerking itself off and 2deep4u. Paprika isn't pretentious. Madoka is but it's not bad.
Hard to take you seriously when you misspell pretentious

>oh noo he mispeled someting, therfore he wrongs

When he's complaining about other people being stupid yes he is.

being stupid has nothing to do with committing a typo

Wrong.

See? Even though you made no grammatical mistake, you're still stupid

>Kekkai Sensen
>complicated and convoluted
Did we watch the same anime?

The show has great writing, great directing, great characters, and is all around a fantastic show.
This show basically has the plot of Seinfeld with some spooky mystery thrown in for part of it.
If anyone thinks this has anything deeper than that then they're a retarded

Perfect insider, literally FEDORA: the animation.

>proving him right
>crossboarder on top of that

I've seen like two episodes of this shit and how the fuck is it deep?

NGE is not pretentious

Not pretentious. It's just bad.

These are actually pretentious.

No. It's horribad and retarded as fuck.

How is it possible to think this is pretentious, it's not even trying to be smart or complicated, it just operates under the rule of cool.

No. Also, it's really boring. Only the very beginning and very ending are interesting, the rest is terribly boring.

Came to post this.

This I guess?

First episode is really promising
Had massive potential to be a cyberpunk crime thriller
Turned into generic DBZ anime garbage and shafted all the cool cyber shit

Tldr no

>NGE is not pretentious

LAFFING MY ASS OFF

If you mean the art, I reckon Shinbo just put too much acid in the water cooler
If you mean the plot, I reckon it's brilliant. At least, the "harem" aspect anyway. RRRG picking Senjougahara super early in the show but still fucking around with all the other girls seems like he's just a scumbag, and he might be, but I reckon it's the perfect excuse. People complain about harems being painful to watch because the MC is always up to his neck in pussy yet never even holds their hand, let alone (god forbid) a kiss. RRRG having a girlfriend is the perfect excuse for him to interact with the other girls without him not fucking them just being qualified as beta mode.
The soundtrack is perfect, the characters are fun and the show caters to almost every fetish by the end.
I dunno, I just love Shaft's shaft up my ass.

The only thing pretentious about it are the last 2 episodes

>The soundtrack is perfect
The ear grading soundtrack is one of the worst things about Bakemonogatari. It was painful to listen to.

>LAFFING

stop watching dragon ball super

>NGE is not pretentious
Y-Yeah

Sakurada reset.

>NGE is not pretentious.
>Entire show is Anno trying to be 2deep5me about his depression and is constantly filled with bullshit symbolism that that was shoved in because it looked cool.

>RAFFING

>having things that serve no other purpose than to look cool is pretentious

Charlotte

>the plot of Seinfeld
wut

Mentioning "the Seinfeild plot" is just to say the ideal of having no plot at all, just individual stimulus and interaction within characters. Which is kind of the thing that every gag show does anyway, no?

Madoka Magica,Monogatari,HxH,Fate,Gintama(even if it's self-aware),Code Geass,Shingeki no Kyojin(especially if you follow the manga).

Everything that makes me think that the creator is writting while thinking about the audience's reception is pretentious.
Like all of this shows pander to the audience in an annoying manner

Well, given the absurd attention that same christian symbology is given... But one could easily say that it's the audience overcompensating for a convoluted plot that was always meant to exemplify an escapist fantasy with actors that are already very tired, an unwillingness to cope with reality and its troubles (as spelled out in the ending).

It's the usual missing the text and checking out minutiae meticulously: christian symbology "just to look cool" makes perfect sense.

Except Anno never said the religious imagery were symbolic or had a deeper meaning. And they served their function as imagery exactly as intended. You could argue that the show is pretentious because a blows up a simple and personal problem (the "hedgehog dilemma") into a metaphysical scale but I'd say that was a stylistic choice which heightens the emotions and pulls the viewer in stronger, and caused the show to resonate deeper.

Also there's actually symbolism in the show that has actual meaning that gets overshadowed by the imagery, which in all honesty is pretty well directed.

Just give up evafag

The real problem is that the reception was opposite of what the show was intended, I believe. The fans decided to see the fantastic material for fetishism and not the bigger picture, the potent spectacle that the show was trying to overthrow: it didn't offend the otaku, it renovated them.

Maybe Anno's talents at making powerful spectacle fucked with the show at large, with its meaning? It's kind of a silly question now, since he wholeheartedly accepted the cash cow years ago with the sequel movies and shit.

>it didn't offend the otaku, it renovated them
Well barring Anno's breakdown in the middle of production he went into Eva hoping to create more otaku. He says so in an interview somewhere, you can probably find it on Evageeks.

It's very uneven. Some episodes are amazing and some are just awful.

fucking this
you can hear the writer thinking "holy shit I'm so smart"

These

Elfen Lied. The director had some gall, trying to make some (ANY) depth or sense (jesus christ the opening is cringeworthy after some episodes) of such camp shit. Haven't read the manga, but no way in hell it is as serious about itself as that shitheap was.

The manga is the same edgy,gory manga but isn't pretentious at all.
It's the OST of the anime that makes it worse.It's a really beautiful song but it doesn't fit Elfen lied and it's such a waste...
That ost would fit much better in Death Note(make it Light's death theme) since the show is full of ost with latin lyrics.

It was driving me nuts, such an incopetently made show. It should serve as a reminder of how the word "pretentious" actually works: evidently having a purpose and themes but doing them a service that just falls short out of cowardice, lazyness or just plain incompetence (if we think of artists as developing, pretension and incompetence is not really a bad thing). To be cocky but not having anything.

Most of the shows mentioned have directors that know exactly what they wanted to do and knew how to do it.

I fucking hated Tamala.

The first 2 eps are almost perfect.
Then it becomes terribly boring and full of QUALITI

Looks cuul. What's this about?

Had a pretty damn nice op though.
Also Moe was moe

A punk cat in space

Why? Doing what?

My first thought when I saw op thumbnail in the catalog is this is the kind of thing cool kids who smoke cloves and wear eyeliner and don't go to class read

Most 4C/Genius Party independent stuff is pretty great though. I don't know why their commercial works are so awful.

Doing random things while being badly animated in Flash. There are also abstract 3D intermissions for no reason. It's all either symbolic or pulled out the ass but you can't tell.

If you want better cats in space, watch Fantadroms.

>t. Brainlet

Fucking how? It is factually just Man in Black, but with the occult instead of aliens.