Is the Pokémon TCPi dub the worst dub of all time?

Is the Pokémon TCPi dub the worst dub of all time?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mmuiXMtiAac
youtube.com/watch?v=tKN0C2xhtKE
youtube.com/watch?v=sueChxQ1sI8
youtube.com/watch?v=KS-u1rVFoYU
youtube.com/watch?v=Ynl_T8MSLvE
youtube.com/watch?v=pHp8h0pl_dE
youtube.com/watch?v=_IQczxxH3ts
edgoldfarbmusic.com/
twitter.com/edgoldfarbmusic?lang=en
youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0
youtu.be/vbJmp61KPgk
youtube.com/watch?v=sAf79CEETpI
youtube.com/watch?v=DYrlSjQyrzY
youtube.com/watch?v=yzfg0aBE19Y
youtube.com/watch?v=0HXLIQHLqe0
youtube.com/watch?v=gjOB16bUhPc
youtube.com/watch?v=7rw1EsnvyAY
youtube.com/watch?v=2TEzLbzf2CE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Not even close.

Not by a longshot. Try something like Cardcaptors or the Fox Kids dub of Escaflone.

Maybe

You mean that dub where Sakura sounds like a tomboy?

Even the little I've heard of that is better than anything I have heard in TCPi by a longshot.

No, Fox Kids and Arab dubs are the worst

>You mean that dub where Sakura sounds like a tomboy?

There's MUCH more fuckery at work than mere voice acting.

The episodes are in order and the overwhelming majority air, it's not even close to the worse.

Have episodes been cut for international releases? I haven't watched the anime in years but I know there have been some problems in the past.

Arabic anime openings are kino.

Arabic Digimon dubs > English dubs.

Ahahahahahaahahahaha, no. It is pretty fucking bad, though.

The worst dubs are the dubs that we can't even remember.

TCPi Pokémon butchers more than voice acting and makes the soundtrack atrocious on an uncomprehensible level making everything sound awful.

It's not even on "so bad it's good" level like Malaysian and AB Groupe DBZ.

It's not the worst, but it's one of the worst dubs that's actively proclaimed as being good or even better than the original Japanese, though the reason for that should be obvious; people who watch Pokémon dubbed are usually kids who don't understand or are annoyed by Japanese, or legit autists who don't watch anything but Pokémon and probably don't watch any other anime, and have grown up with the dub. These people prefer having random xylophone music or whatever in what should be dramatic scenes because they simply prefer the more american cartoony style that the dub aims for. Most of them probably don't even notice that 90% of the music's been redone from the original.

Meant to reply to whoops

I think you have 4kids in mind, which isn't a very good dub either but TCPi makes 4kids dub look like God's gift to mankind.

Only like 3 have for Pokémon if I recall correctly and for the massive amount of episodes it has that's impressive for a dub

It's been 12 years since the dub changed from 4kids to TCPi. There are plenty of dub fans today who grew up in an era where the 4kids dub had long since stopped airing.

I know but no one ever talks about how TCPi is a good dub, only 4kids.

>TCPi makes 4kids dub look like God's gift to mankind.

Voice acting in the TCPi dub is somehow worse.

nah

youtube.com/watch?v=mmuiXMtiAac
youtube.com/watch?v=tKN0C2xhtKE
youtube.com/watch?v=sueChxQ1sI8
Toei Commision this to

It's bad enough to make me miss 4kids.

Some of the old 4kids actors claimed they dubbed some episodes like the Porygon one but it still never aired.

Oh, you'd be surprised.

Speedy dub

Speedy dub is so bad it's good so it's automatically better than TCPi because of that.

For all the crap it gets 4kids was great for Pokémon. Other series like One Piece got fucked but it helps that Pokémon didn't have have much to censor to begin with. Some stupid shit like rice balls are a small price to pay for things like their God-tier openings and actors that didn't sound bored.

youtube.com/watch?v=KS-u1rVFoYU

youtube.com/watch?v=Ynl_T8MSLvE

Why did they remove the episode where a guy points a pistol at Ash's head but not the time he entered a saloon and everyone in it was pointing rifles at him?

I miss the 2000s, I remember when people lost their shit over the jelly donuts instead of political shit

>Thinking that 4kids was somehow less bad that TpCi

Dude this like comparing Douche and Turd.

Could be the censors picked up on that one but not the Squirtle episode, or because the gun was pointed right at Ash's face made it more "objectionable". The FCC is as much to blame in these situations.

4kids Pokemon was already declining towards the end of johto.
>Less and less of japanese music being used until getting phased out completely
>more dumb edits like pic related, and the >voicework in general feeling a bit more flat and just phoned in.
Shame it just got worse from where 4kids left off

Johto is where the anime became pretty shit in general, it had too much filler to be watchable outside of weekly TV viewings for children

4kids may have butchered the script but their VAs were good and passionate

Yeah it's probably best we didn't have to risk Dawn's skirt getting lengthened. For its credit TPCi wasn't too bad for Sinnoh, but once BW started they gave up completely.
>>more dumb edits like pic related
That was a dumb company policy where the editors got paid more for making more edits so they started changing whatever they were able to.

It recovered for the league but everything before that was a waste. Even if they kept the GS Ball sub-plot it would still be a letdown.
Honestly I think if GSC didn't have Kanto in them then gen II would be considered the worst gen. Game Freak owes a lot to Iwata.

>People who say"HAHAHAHAHA 4KIDS LOCALISATION XDDD" but never had to experience this
youtube.com/watch?v=pHp8h0pl_dE

holy shit that's fucking awful

I'm always interested in shows that randomly decide to change the soundtrack.

I looked up the guy who does the dub music for Pokemon on Twitter. He just gets a slew of responses telling him he sucks. Kind of a bummer.

>watching Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon for the first time

This is one of the worst dubs I've ever seen

I think what's happening there is that they think making their own in house music is cheaper than licensing the original soundtrack.

youtube.com/watch?v=_IQczxxH3ts
Why is it so hard for TPCi to make an opening that sounds appropriate for an action series? Even the version of the original they use in XY sounds toned down.

I don't understand what is wrong with this?
With this god tier opening, it's really good.

What in the absolute fuck is that first Diamond and Pearl one, god damn.

>That voice acting
Are you deaf?
Also Battle Frontier and maybe the Galactic Battles one are the only good not 4Kids themes

The non-4kids ones all sound the exact same and they're slow as fuck, how are kids supposed to get hyped to watch an episode with that droning shit?

>Is the Pokémon TCPi dub the worst dub of all time?

Personally, I give that award to Megaman Starforce.
>cut episode 1 in half to make half of the FIRST episode a clip show that wasn't in the original
>every episode starts with the 2nd half of one episode followed by the 1st half of the next episode
>doesn't even finish the show
>half of the "final" episode is another clip show that wasn't in the original

Not even 4kids One Piece is as bad.

>Advance Battle
Oh fuck that hits me in the nostalgia

>>>cut episode 1 in half to make half of the FIRST episode a clip show that wasn't in the original
>>every episode starts with the 2nd half of one episode followed by the 1st half of the next episode

...What?

Was the intention to like, create a cliffhanger for every episode?

I used to mute the TV when it started. They also used to open episodes of Diamond and Pearl with a preview that spoilt the entire episode.

I will give it to Digimon or One Piece.

Digimon got gutted in the dubs

"Let's remove the important dialogue to make room for corny jokes and the soundtracks for generic burger music!"

>That fucking bizarre square dance song they used for climactic battles.

Burger music indeed.

>MetalGreymon shows up
>HEY DIGIMON HEY DIGIMON FRIENDS TO ALL THE BOYS AND GIRLS

Digimon dubs didn't get butchered as bad as Pokémon did, Tamers especially.

They're still pretty bad though.

What was there to butcher in Pokémon though? It's not like there was any nudity or excessive violence.

Just make the music the worst thing you've ever heard in your life sempai.

What music did they change?

By XY, pretty much everything no matter how minor it is outside of a few game music remixes for said generation.

With XY, they brought in a new composer.

4kids always added new or extra music into the show, but they kind of kept a balance up to a point.

One thing to be said about the new composer, compared to the 4kids ones, is that he uses real instruments a lot. 4kids pretty much strictly stuck with synthesizers.

Oh right I thought you meant 4kids.

Sure it wasn't changed by BW? XY uses plenty of tracks from that gens anime and by then all the stuff that they've used in prior gens many times over just stopped getting used.

edgoldfarbmusic.com/

Guy started working in XY.

Actually I had the Japanese ones in mind just then, my bad. Did the Japanese composer change by BW?

The main problemo, is the shitty Phony music.

>4kids always added new or extra music into the show, but they kind of kept a balance up to a point.

Only in the very beginning, and even then you can tell the differences in tone with the new US music who sounds as Phony as phony can be, worse is when they sometimes seemed like they overlap with the japanese tracks.

later 4kids seasons just dropped the japanese music, and that's the issue with replacements Scores, they never try to take things serious.

>they never try to take things serious.

I mean, Yu-Gi-Oh's replacement score was pretty straight faced. Some good tracks in that.

I guess, but even then the "cliffhanger" doesn't even work since it is is the middle of the episode instead of a place where a cliffhanger would feel natural.

This is the only dub that I know has done this, and it's just head scratching. The worst part is that the clipshow half of episode 1 was a recap of the 1st half of episode 1. Yes, they really spent half of the episode to recap what happened in the same episode.

The early 4Kids dub at least had some adult humor thrown in that kids wouldn't pick up on. Then the script adapter changed when the characters went to Hoenn and everyone started talking like they came out of a Dr. Seuss book.

When 4Kids lost the rights, the crummy script adapter continued with the new dub.

I still remember the BlackWarGreymon episode where he found the destiny stone in the sea from elementary school.

>BlackWarGreymon parts the sea
>"Who does he think he is, Moses?"

Yeah, the 4kids dub got worse with time when their style of script writing became really dated compared to everything else on the air at the time, but they had shit material to work with anyway.

>your job is to produce a cheap replacement for a soundtrack that people already liked
>go on twitter and expect positive feedback
He doesn't sound very bright.

This was the first TCPi episode. I remember Pokemon moving to CN and seeing this episode premier on Cartoon Network's Friday evening block. God, it was such a disappointment.

He had the twitter before doing the music for the show.

I mean it must be kind of rough. I'm a musician myself, so I kind of know what these people are up against. Composer for TV shows usually don't just get to do whatever they want. There's someone higher up on the food chain telling them "make it sound like this."

Obviously, I guess, cause if they didn't liek the original stuff, then clearly some head honcho had something else in mind.

Yeah, but he should understand the reception he's going to get when his job description is "here's this thing people enjoy, and we want you to change it".

twitter.com/edgoldfarbmusic?lang=en

Well he's not really bitching, or anything.

You're like a little baby, check this out.
youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

youtu.be/vbJmp61KPgk
Greatest suffering.

This makes me feel bad for some reason

That's a so bad it's good kind of an example, I'd rather watch Pokémon be dubbed like that rather than TCPi, same with Speedy dub DBZ.

nigger why are you watching pokemon anyway, it hasn't been good since orange islands and then XYZ, I heard sun and moon is fun too but it's way too ugly for me and it's harem now?

I followed XY like a retard because I thought Ash might win, I stopped after the league loss and realized my mistake.

I don't watch it now, but I still remember how terrible the dub was.

I wouldn't call XYZ "good" either.

Holy fuck I knew people hated Black and White and I can just tell from the fucking intros. If I was a kid watching that there'd be no way I'd keep that gay shit on.

>and it's harem now?
It's only harem in the sense that there are three girls hanging out with Ash now. There's even less romance implications than XY/Z.

So what is the the biggest sin a dub can commit?
Bad voice acting or deviation from the source?

I'm willing to give a little leeway to both since it is easier to pick up on bad voice acting in dubs than it is subs, and sometimes things just can't be properly translated due to the two languages having words the other doesn't. However, I think deviation from the source is the bigger sin because it's possible to have enjoyably bad voice acting there's a reason I watch hentai dubbed when possible, it is close to impossible to find any dubs with major changes from the source that are good (besides Ghost Stories).

>there's a reason I watch hentai dubbed when possible
Not going to lie, I find a woman saying something, anything, lewd in English to be incredibly arousing. It doesn't matter if the Japanese voice is a goddess of the eardrums, just hearing a woman say "naked" in English gets me diamonds.

>emotional final scene
>the bare naked ladies plays over everything

youtube.com/watch?v=sAf79CEETpI

That shit dub makes the show literally unwatchable

Whenever this song came on youtube.com/watch?v=DYrlSjQyrzY I got angry because it always took away massively from MetalGreymon or some other ultimate being badass it's so fucking shit.

The guy who sang and wrote that died recently.

20 years too late.

I heard, didn't know it was recent though. Damn.

I miss gay James.
youtube.com/watch?v=yzfg0aBE19Y

Every now and then, even 4kids does something right.

Why is Eric Stuart so based?
youtube.com/watch?v=0HXLIQHLqe0

>How owuld you like your HolyAngemon?
>JUST MAGNA ME UP
youtube.com/watch?v=gjOB16bUhPc

No, but it seems they stop keeping original japanese BGM in their dub now. Not since DP i think.

TCPi is better than 4kids, but 4kids makes far better openings.

>4Kids is sheltering chil-
youtube.com/watch?v=7rw1EsnvyAY

Eh, I don't know.
The english song made the scene bittersweet while the Japanese one made the ending depressing.

youtube.com/watch?v=2TEzLbzf2CE
Apparently he said it because they stopped paying them for ads.

English Kaiba had the best one liners

Holy shit that sounds clear as day

Truly he is the coolest manchild in all of fiction.