Wait, so why exactly did this show receive so much hate? It was actually pretty decent...

Wait, so why exactly did this show receive so much hate? It was actually pretty decent. Was it because "Japan sugoi" and them just slaughtering people left and right? What exactly was it that made people mad?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F_ycU-HoNGg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Water_Army
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Cent_Party
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Burgers cant handle that for once it's not their country who's shitstomping primitive barbarians

japan sugoi and slaughtering isekai land was actually really nice, it was pretty much the only good part of the anime
everything else was really pretty generic dreck and garbage, though the grorious nippon stronk did get a bit over the top

First reply and already a shitpost. Had your finger on the trigger all day didn't you.

>It was actually pretty decent.
can agree, sort off
the whole, "modern-weapon-superiority" got just boring soon
best part was still the fight against the dragon
and yeah, the whole nippon pandering was also a problem

>Was it because "Japan sugoi" and them just slaughtering people left and right?
Because it had absolutely nothing going on outside of that. I don't mind a bit of masturbatory writing, but you have to balance it out. Why am I supposed to be impressed by the soldiers when they slaughter everything with ease? Doesn't that just mean their enemies are total fodder? Even a dragon goes down like it's nothing. It stops being impressive and starts being boring. Leave it to Japan to take a story about modern military fighting high fantasy and accomplish that. Too busy pushing some garbage harem dynamic in.

just speaking the truth pham

Fuck that nonsense. Who is best girl?

I guess it's partially that but there were also some deviations from the manga and ln designs that many people didn't like. Since I've never read either, it didn't bother me too much. Moving to just straight green to avoid having to draw camo and redesigning some of the characters, notably Rory and Kuribayashi, seemed like a weak move.

It's also boring when one side completely curb stomps the other side and they can't even land a single blow. The dragon fight was one of the best parts for me because even with advanced tech, the JSDF still had a hard time bringing it down.

To make it interesting they should've had a different MC. Maybe a diplomat or something, trying to secure peace so we don''t go full genocide

Kuribayashi of course
(unfortunatly, she would be disgusted by this place)

dark elf and it’s not even close

MILKIES

I really liked it and had hoped for a second season. One of my favorite parts was when the smug prince gets his face smashed in. I for one was glad.

When famous horror director Alfred hitchcock did interviews people oftern ask him why the characters in his movies did simply go to the police. He argue that while that made more sence it was "dull" from a story standpoint.

In the same vain while it makes sence that modern weaponry could decimate fantasy armies, once the novelty run off you are left with protagonist that couldn´t posibly loose and overkill every fight. Simply it gets old really quickly. Is not like the Japanse army runs into a more powerfull enemy later on they simply have the victory pretty much from episode 2.

Also I feel that anybody from Koreo and other asian contries that where invaded by Japan back in ww2 arent to keen in watching an anime where the Japanese govermente decides to annex another country to their own. I acutally kind of surprise that the show didn´t cause more controversy.

I'm like 8 episodes in on Hulu and I watched for the premise alone and I'm enjoying it. I think the fact that the JSDF curb stomping everything is humorous, even if nobody gives them a true threat.

The Japanese self defence force an army so crappy the only way they see themself winning of a fight is with literally medieval adversaries..

i really liked that too, but as others pointed out, the shitting on isekai world through military might was the only interesting thing the story had going

there was also the thing about the nip agent marrying the loli, for some reason

You're using a moot comparison which you dont seem to fully grasp yourself. There's plenty of drama and stakes in the series, the war between nippon and rome is just the setting. Don't act like there are never any threats when the cast escapes death countless times and people die everywhere, not only the empire soldiers

Doenst matter if you liked or disliked the show. This will forever remain one of the catchies openings in anime history
youtube.com/watch?v=F_ycU-HoNGg

is it opposite day? gate's op's were the epitome of forgettable

They do get in danger in every arc yes, but I would argue that they solve all their problems in 2 ways, either they call reinforcemts and they decimate easily the enemies or the gothic lolita kills a bunch of dudes.
Sure sometimes they got trap on a clastle and sometimes they are in enemy territory but the solution never really changes.

It deserved hate for changing the designs. Fucking cowards.

I think its pretty good. And i honestly have no idea why people have such a big problem with it. People just call it "generic" as if that is supposed to mean something. Maybe they were expecting some sort of masterpiece or something.

The manga designs were complete garbage tho.

Does the light novel advances the plot? Does anything Important happens after they kill the dragon?

>Japanese armed force actually did something
>Oh no it is militarist they are trying to reconquer every nearby countries

My wife Lelei

Fighting the isekai things was dull after a while, any semi modern military would have had the same advantage.

>but we are allies and you have to share your resources

Do they find any challege eventually? a bigger empire? giant? gods? necromancers?

Even I don't suck Japan's dick that hard. It was also annoying that the heroes win everytime and can do no wrong.

Literally nothing is a threat, and any problems are solved by shooting at it

You know is kind of weird that same season also saw the relase ot Overlord that in a sence is also about an otaku with overwhelming power taking over a fantasy land with little to none resistance along with his harem.

It would be funny of the Japanse army keeps advancing and find skeleface trying to take over the world.

Zipang does everything better, with both politics and modern weapons vs past ones. I would say it is even more Nippon banzai, but it doesn't leave any bad impressions.

Japan would be fucked then. Overlord magic far outshines Gate magic.

>Pretty decent
It sucks dick. It would be at least enjoyable if it WAS "Japan sugoi" instead of some weaboo fantasy of some braindead JSDF POG, but nah. Some people in another GATE thread were hoping it would be more like a Japanese reverse-Stargate.

Of course, it is pay2win world class magic after all.

clem has nothing at all to do with he man
i get it's mostly just a joke but there's a retarded guy i'm acquaintances with and he never stops posting this and saying it's important or some shit

Well that is why Im asking, is a fantasy land with dragons and magic. There has to be something that they can´t defeat with machineguns or missiles. What if they pull a Metroid and the dragons where keeping something even worse at bay? Or they decide to drill for oil and end up unleashing hell? if the series is only otaku guy fucking his harem and the army shooting guys with swords there is not much point in keeping interest.

The magic itself isn't pay 2 win. You can speed up cast times with items, which I guess would look like magic to others.

A COUNTRY OF SAMURAI WARRIORS

This so much
>make the loli a teen and the teen a loli
I liked the nippon banzai becuse it was hilarious and then they do shit like this

Nothing a good steamroller can´t take care of.

The premise would be interesting if there was a reason the army couldn´t be able to assist the main cast when they got in trouble. Imagine a situation where they have limited amunition but need to hold a position with no hope of reinforcement or traveling of a exteded period of time only with their hadguns as backup. it would be interesting. But is not what they do in the story.

We need more girls with constant seductive drawls in their voice

We need less trash design

>They do get in danger in every arc yes, but I would argue that they solve all their problems in 2 ways, either they call reinforcemts and they decimate easily the enemies or the gothic lolita kills a bunch of dudes.

This is going to blow your mind but tension and drama can from things beyond action. There was the whole thing where the heroes don't want their government to slaughter the fantasy people and need to find ways to broker peace as conspiracy stacks on conspiracy.

Only dumb burgers hate it.

It would only be a challenge if they couldn't go back home and had to husband their supplies, being very cautious about using it.
But since the portal was open and they had access to their logistics, everything was easy. Makes sense, but also makes for a boring story.

I liked the manga designs the best.

Plus the manga's military hardware was on point

And it gets resolved with the Lolita killing a bunch of americans dudes. Is not that there is not vareity is that they use the same solution for everything.

Agree maybe it happens later in the story? I haven´t read the novel but that sounds like an interesting idea even if they only get loocked for a while the fact that they can´t resuply or retreat could make an interesting story.

It occurs to me that the story could be interesting if another portal open but this time it goes to a more technologicaly advance civilization.

Read the manga and LN, then you'll understand.

If you really think it was decent then there's no point in seeing any of the counterarguments, you won't get them because your taste is as bad as the show.

Anyone who says it's not Rory will be fored to pay a visit to Emroy.

Nips really have grown to hate development in adversity. What's so great about watching an overpowered MC stomping effortlessly everyone while not learning anything about it?

Taneda tried too hard on Rory's voice. It was really a pain to hear.

To be fair, the nips who do read this shit are the kind of nips who feel like their life is already hard and adverse enough, and just need a quick feel good flix.
If they wanted to read about a young person fighting adversity and becoming stronger through those experiences, they'd read a standard shounen manga.

I think it started with SOA since it got pupular with an overpower main character, yet at least in that anime you could feel he could die if he wasn´t carefull enough.

sorry meant for

I think overlord handles it well in the same way that opm handles saitama. They just almost never actually fight and it's other people that do most of the fighting.

Isn't this just building till humanity is force to confront the gods who created the gate? They do allude to Hardy and other gods throughout the series.

GATE was widely considered one of the most hated anime of its season in Japan, and the source material didn't get much more love either.
The story is all about bottom feeding and instant gratification. How it's bad has not that much to do with how it portrayed Japan. Although the latter is certainly a product of its poor quality.

Eventually the gate gets closed and they try opening new gates and accidentally open one to a world with face huggers from alien. I really want it to get another season so I can see modern military / midevil world deal with aliens.

I don´t know I don´t think they have hinted anything about it. all tough it would be pretty badass if some god just decided he was sick of the japanese army and came down to wreck their shit. I wonder if that would actually be a cool fight like godzilla but smaller.

I disliked that JDF got the tech advantage AND Rory who was a demigod and strongest fantasy being.

Americucks buttmad.

Hardy actually tries but is stopped by both the JSDF and Rory.

If the autor had any concept of irony the story would end with the army invading another gate but finding some powerfull scifi army on the other side and finding themself in the same position the empire was before them.

Do they at least strugle to win?

Don't know actually. I only know that Hardy actually tries to attack the JSDF directly but fails.

That would have been amazing.

This

But it's actually the truth.
Amerifats were going crazy about muh america number one and Japanese ultra nationalism.

If Hardy is as invulnerable as Rory is to guns I would imagine they would be more inclined to use explosives and flame throws to fight against constantly regenerating enemies.

>shitpost
>When CR censored it so burgers/koreans wouldn't get their feelings hurt

Lets hear your Ideas of how to make the story better.
>Killing the dragons causes problems enviromental catastrofe and from that point on the dragons are considered a protected species so the JSDF has to deal with them without killing them.
>A necromancer decides to invade earth since our world has a lot more dead people for him to use in his undead army bullets do nothing in the undead soilders and the army they killed and the begining of the show rise from the grave and gives them even more trouble.
Anybody else has any ideas?

An army of inmortal zealots decide to get the JSDF and only a magical artifact far away can stop them.

Japan gets full of itself after watching the JSDF dealing with dragons and they declare war on burgerland again.
After they lose they're even forbidden to carry firearms and fantasyland invades Japan.

>Wait, so why exactly did this show receive so much hate?
It was determined on Reddit that a lot of the hate posting was from the Chinese Water Army type posters.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Water_Army

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50_Cent_Party

The author of Gate was a patriotic Japanese citizen who served in the military. He wanted Japan to take a bigger role in building up its own military and be more self-sufficient instead of depending on the USA to provide the defense forces. The chinese didn't like that since a strong japan would be able to defend its islands which the chinese had driven them off due to the possibility of nearby deep sea oil.

China had done a lot of claims of ocean land, and having a strong Japan would make it harder for China to take over the ocean. China has claims all the way out to near Guam. Essentially, Japan is almost surrounded by China's claims of ocean property.

1. A-1 butchered the adaptation, censored most of the fun, fucked up character designs and so on and so forth.
2. Japan stronk and merciful.
3. Murrica\Russia\Korea are Evil and their special forces are nothing compared to Glorious Japanese military
4. Harembait, no Elf rape, Murderous immortal gothic-lolita fanservice and other unnecessary shit
5. Fantasy population leaders are absolutely retarded.
6. Certain familiar looking head of the state.

Just read the manga.

To be fair last I heard china got butthurt we let japan build a helicopter carrier, and china was afraid they could launch planes from it(which to be fair they probably could)but to be honest were not even babysitting them if were letting them squeeze by and do that anywho.

>shitty anime design Rory

>shitty nekomini beast girls instead of fully furry beastgirls

Blue tits!

And the only reason they do is because RU and CH are playing the dangerous game of land grab, without trying to start WW3. And one political imbalance in either nation will destroy that to bits, so we just watch instead.

burger ops got btfo
kek, thats were the salt started

>Have full on beastgirls that are feared by their strength and superhuman abilities, and are a piece of fear and admiration in the manga
>Replace them with moeblobs, cut out their story completely.
Why was this allowed?

Don't know, it is a good anime, maybe some chick can't handle it.

my problem was it took away the violence and censored it. The hard part was that in the manga and light novel it was a key factor to help the reader realize just how big the difference was and the conflict of cultures. example was the way the girls were used and how they were portrayed versus the show which left those scenes lacking. This is also in the graphic way they kill the attacking soldiers. and how the modern military force of the jsdf ripped through the fighting forces. it left alot lacking because of the censorship. its alot like mortal kombat on the snes. Its still the "same thing" but a key element is missing. that being the graphic content.