Start watching Rurouni Kenshin: Wandering Samurai

>start watching Rurouni Kenshin: Wandering Samurai
>stops wandering at the end of the first episode
Also the voice acting is kinda shit, is the English dub better or am I better off reading the manga?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vNAkGFGgyrY
youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jBHdPsBTE
dailymotion.com/video/x2us9s0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>stops wandering at the end of the first episode
That's because he's not wandering samurai. He's samurai X.

Just watch the OVAs
Or is this just because you want to argue the ethics of pedophilia with Sup Forums again

That may be the reason why I started watching the show but the pedophilia discussion is old. Do the OVAs cover the same material? I doubt they can fit 96 epsiodes into a few OVAs well.

user do you think freelance journalist walk around whole waving lances as they investigating things? No you don't because you're not retarded. It's a indom you dense fuck.

jej

>Not liking ORO

Filthy sudaca/east asian.

Experienced it via manga just fine.

>English dub
It's a 90s level dub. Varying degrees of quality.

Americans were the ones who choose shitty english title for the worldwide license.

O-ORO?

The first OVAs were a prequel and the second OVAs are a sequel to the events of the TV series

It's not bad

Trigun is a better Ruroni Kenshin than Rurouni kenshin

Still more tolerable than some of the worst japanese voice acting I have ever heard, along with shitty casting.

thats why the title samurai X is more acurate

he is a samurai and he has a X on his face, its cheesy but so its the series

The Mexican dub is Kilometers better.

The only thing that was dubbed by mexicans was the animated movie

But Kenshin wasn't a samurai

Well yeah, it's better than what you'd get these days when it comes to dubs.

I re-watched the Kyoto arc recently, and I was surprised at how much I hated pretty much every Japanese voice. I thought the reason I watched the dub when I was younger was because I was a pleb, but it turns out that most of the Japanese cast is just awful. The English dub is mediocre mid-90's affair, but it's no worse than the original. In fact, I think Kenshin's English voice is a much better fit, especially when he gets serious or acts like a sarcastic ass. I have no idea why they cast a woman in the role in Japanese.

thank you so much I'm glad I won't be arrested after all

de gozaru

Trigun has a lot of merits, but I think Kenshin's a more likable character than Vash. Vash goes so far into his goofy persona that he's just annoying at times.

>Rurouni Kenshin: Wandering Samurai
It's called Rurouni Kenshin: Meiji Swordsman Romantic Story.

Kenshin considers himself a wanderer until the end of the Kyoto arc. He never considered himself a samurai, and in fact isn't one.

I kind of got used to femvoiced Kenshin after a while since he's a small feminine guy, found it more tolerable than a big buff dude like Goku

Just to be clear, we're talking about the Anime Works dub, right? Sony apparently did their own dub where they changed the characters' names for no particular reason, and it was pretty terrible overall. Kenshin's voice actor is the same in both dubs, though.

youtube.com/watch?v=vNAkGFGgyrY

SHESHEOR MAWKOWTOOO

Remember when the English dub became a NicoNico meme?

youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jBHdPsBTE

It's ultimately preference. Not sure of what you miss watching it dubbed, probably minor things overall. I know they change the instances of "Oro" with "That I am/that it is" and so on. The manga's a fantastic read. Keep pushing though, regardless of language.

dailymotion.com/video/x2us9s0

Also, the live action movies are good. No substitute for reading the manga, but I think you'd like 'em. Note that they take a lot of liberties for obvious reasons.

That doesn't sound like English--
>I'll kill you now.
Oh, okay. It's multi-language. Those fucking screams.

If you aren't familiar with either dub, it might be a bit confusing. The dub actors are shouting out the Japanese attack names in most of those clips. Apparently the Japanese think it's funny for the same reason why think Terry Bogard is funny.

I watched the anime then read the manga after finishing watching the kyoto arc.

It's the only shonen I can tolerate, all the characters are likeable and its short and sweet for a shonen.

Honestly this when I re-watched Trigun. It's a shame because I like the setting and tone of the story better than Kenshin, but Vash's antics got old after the first couple episodes.

Mango or animu? does the mexican adaptation is good?

They latter dropped it, tho. Are you a sudaca or a east asian?

Its hard to take this anime seriously since the kenshin voice is the same as this fucker in my country

>does the mexican adaptation is good?
ESL detected. The correct spelling would be "Is the Colombian dub good?".

It doesn't hold a candle to your average Mexican dub of the 90s but I still like it. It has some nice voices like Makoto Shishio, Megumi Takani and Saito.

>I'm so glad that I won't be arrested!

Yeah,I don't know why Shonen MCs always have the shrill voice of an old women

I can't stand Kenshin's JAP VA

Yeah I'm just watching it dubbed now with the subtitles.
This is the first time I'm watching a show dubbed in years, but Kenshin's jap voice just sucks and the rest of the japanese cast isn't spectacular, while the english actually has some effort and thought put into it.

Kenshin was never a samurai.
It's like renaming Citizen Kane to Cowboy Kane just because he's american and uses a hat.

>dubs with subs
Good way of having your cake and eating it too. Happy watching, user.

>I have no idea why they cast a woman in the role in Japanese
Do you not watch a lot of anime? That's pretty normal.

It's a mix of the english dub and the spic one.
t. spic

For young boys, sure. But Kenshin's a 28-year-old man. I could see it if the actress sounded a bit more gender-neutral or was more convincing when she had to pull out the Battousai voice, but she just sounded like a bored high school girl in the role. I probably wouldn't have minded as much if I didn't have the English voice to compare it to which, while still not being anything exceptionally praiseworthy, is a much better fir.

Eh, it honestly isn't. For kids yeah, but not full grown adult male characters. Goku's another exception but that's because she's been voicing him since he was a kid.

Wait. . .Rurouni Kenshin was based off of actual historical events??? In what ways?

>I thought Kenshin was based on that one Xbox game, Way of the Samurai

>I thought Kenshin was based on that one Xbox game, Way of the Samurai
>I thought that a series that predates the existence of the Xbox was based on the Xbox

>I have no idea why they cast a woman in the role in Japanese.
Did you even read the mango? In the firsts arcs Kenshin got confused by a woman everytime.
Also according to Watsuki(RIP) he was designed after some famous japanese assassin who looked like a woman and had an 'acrobatic' sword style.
English voice made him sound like he was on roids and angry the whole time.

I guess it's just really easy for me to accept and get used to things. I think she does a really good job with the role because I can feel the genuine sentimentality in her voice. And while you can kind of tell that her voice doesn't go to the lower register as well as a man could Kenshin still sounds pretty menacing.
But I can understand being taken aback by it. I know when I first heard Soujirou's Japanese voice I was like damn you sound like a little girl. But then I get used to it and can't imagine it any other way.

>like he was on roids and angry the whole time.
Not him but not really. English Kenshin had a fairly light voice even while screaming. Though I agree that the voice fits decently in Japanese given the context of the character's creation and such.

It's based on the modernization era that took place after the Tokugawa Shogunate fell. That time period is really popular for Japanese period dramas, and I can think of at least three anime off the top of my head that heavily featured the Shinsengumi.

Not girly enough compared with most dubs.
It's like americans can't stand a semi-faggot MC because they're afraid of becoming homosexual.

I'm surprised this thread hasn't turned into Nozawa vs Schemmel yet.

I'm starting to get interested in the Shinsengumi myself. What are the other shows that heavily feature them?

Only a castrated man could have a voice like that.

>English voice made him sound like he was on roids and angry the whole time.
No way he sounds mellow as hell in the english version. His voice is honestly soft, when compared with someone like Goku's or Vegeta's english voice. Even Ranma's english voice is less calm than Kenshin's, if I remember Ranma's voice correctly.
If there is one criticism I have it's his english voice doing the ORO sound and all the other weird noises he makes sometimes. Maybe it's because I'm only a few episodes in but it feels like he just doesn't know what to do for those yet.

The only historical event that took place during Kenshin timeframe was Ookubo's assassination.
Other real life references include the Shinsengumi and the black ships arrival. But none of those actually happened during Kenshin events.

2D > 3D
He has a cute voice.

Peacemaker Kurogane
Intrigue in the Bakumatsu - Irohanihoheto
Gintama
Drifters

Peacemaker kinda sucks, and I haven't actually seen Irohanihoheto or read Gintama. Drifters only has Hijikata as a solo character. I didn't say they'd be good examples, just that the Shinsengumi shows up in a lot of fiction.

>No way he sounds mellow as hell in the english version. His voice is honestly soft
While I love the Japanese voice I also really like the English one. It's the best one by far in the dub.
"Oro" is a corrupted form of "ara/are" or "huh" so the English equivalent would be that kind of noise.

Watsuki should have done a Shinsengumi prequel desu

I will check those out. I might even look into some live action period dramas as well because I find this time period to be really fascinating.

I would have loved to see more Saito and Okita shenanigans.

The key word you should look for is "Bakumatsu." It refers to the civil war and the era in general.

I kinda want to fuck Kenshin's voice

He wanted to bring Soujiro back, if he had gone with a Shinsengumi Prequel we would have Saitou(best husbando) and Okita who is basically proto-Soujiro.

>tfw the spic dubbers thought Okita was a girl

KenCHin 4 life.
The colombian dub sucked balls.

Oh wow. Couldn't they figure out he was a guy by the fact that he's wearing men's clothes in a male fighting group? And also that he's a real historical figure.

The second ova is not canon, so is the several filler “arc” at the end of the anime.

Ruroken comes from an era when the sound of a VA's voice was ultimately less important than their delivery. They probably just liked the way Suzukaze delivered her lines.

Satou, the actor who played Kenshin in the live action films, was pretty good, although his performance was ultimately very different from how Kenshin was normally portrayed.

¡YaJJJiko!

I don't why the hell Chileans and Colombians pronounces "sh" as "ch".

Satou had no fucking charisma whatsoever and looked like a nervous kid in a school play next to the other actors. But he's a hell of an athlete and did a great job with the stunts and fight choreography, which was far more important overall. He looked the part, too.

Just watch 1st OVA, it's the only good thing in the series.

>Chileans also pronounce "ch" as "sh", like in "¡Pasah la' tillah, shushetumare!"

Yes, kill us.

Satou isn't really a bad actor. That's probably more to do with the direction he was given. His ability to play a variety of types of characters is ultimately why he shot to fame after Masked Rider Den-O.

You're probably right. I don't watch enough Japanese films to have seen him in anything else.

ORO DO GOZARU

You best not be hating on Kenshin's voice son

I dunno if you've seen it, but his first real role was a children's series called Masked Rider Den-O, in which he played a timid young man who was frequently possessed by four-to-five other characters. So he effectively had to play five characters in one show.

Don't ask for research or even being consistent with names to that fucking dub.
They were particulary bad pronouncing names with a "ch", a "sh" or a "j".
In some chapters they said Kenshin, then changed it to KenCHin, then to KenSin, and then use any of those whenever they pleased, battousai became batusai el destajador, Yahiko was Chahiko sometimes; Shishio was Chichio. Shinsengumi became Tropa Chinsen. And it was worse on secondary characters.
The only good thing was they kept the OPs and EDs in japanese, all of them.

At least chilean dubs can properly pronounce names and keep them consistent. The Kenshin dub was supposedly made by professionals not by peasant commoners.

Just found out they're making a new anime series of it.

>battousai became batusai el destajador
I find nothing wrong with this.

>The Kenshin dub was supposedly made by professionals not by peasant commoners.

The majority of the cast are professional actors, working in theater, TV and cinema. The worst crime of that dub it's the shitty neutral accent that thay had for years. Luckly, they've improved a lot in that matter, I can see it in works like Rolling with the Ronks!.

Peacemaker? I guess that makes sense, since I think the anime only covered the first part of the manga. I didn't really follow it too much, though. It turned to fujobait pretty quickly.

The only two colombian dubs I remember now are Kenshin and the first HxH, havent watched anime on tv in a decade or more.

Various localizations have had a lot of trouble translating "Hitokiri Battousai." The manga left it as-is, but all instances of the word "hitokiri" were also left intact, when saying things like, "I want to see you become a killer again," would have carried the meaning better. The films subtitled it as "Battousai the Killsword," which just sounded stupid in my opinion. "Battousai the Manslayer" from the anime was probably the best of the lot.

Kenshin was easily one of the most broken MC ever, dude got the shittiest weapon except for Sanosuke fists, and styles all over everybody except Saito.

And then he gets a mid arc powerup to make him even more broken.

>a manga was based off a game that came out over 10 years later
Never change Sup Forums.

>I find nothing wrong with this.
The wrong part wasn't the "el destajador" one, it's a direct translation even if it was jarring to hear.
The wrong part was the "batusai" one, that's not how you pronounce battösai.

There's a reason everyone kept pressuring him to drop his no-kill shit throughout the story. He's easily the most skilled fighter in the series (barring Hiko), but constantly almost loses because he's holding back so much. He gets like five clean hits against Shishio at the start of their fight and hits Saito in the back of the neck so hard he goes flying across the room, but since his sword is blunted, they can just get back up. The series would have been proto-Once Punch Man if Kenshin didn't have principles, which was the point. Doing the right thing is harder than fucking up.

>Doing the right thing is harder than fucking up.
Fucking Watsuki, why you had to fail us?

I remember that in the mexican dub of the animated movie they couldn't even pronounce "Tokugawa" also I think that they said "Amakakeru Ryu no Hirameki" differently every fucking time

I'm surprised Sony never released the series on DVD in Latin America. A pity, it would have sold quite decently.

>latin america
>not pirating the shit out of anything copyrighted
There's a reason why series like DB or CowBe gets DVDs boxes in a very limited number on this shithole of a subcontinent.

I like that they never made excuses for that, or try to play coy about it. Kenshin was out of most everyone's league and he knew it, his friends and allies knew it, and his opponents very quickly caught on if they didn't already know.