Vinland Saga

Man, this chapter made me sad. They weren't even major characters but I'm sad.

>tsun Hild
HNNNNNGGGGGG

Vinland Saga has done a really good job at bringing home some of the fatalism and tragedy of real Norse sagas into its text.

As good as the despair is, the balck humour of the situation is even better. This scene and the brother shooting his brother a few chapters ago are golden.

Makes me hope wide eyes is true thorfinn theory pans out

Hild x Sig-Sig
Thorfinn x Gudrid

it's the endgame, m8s

how is this still selling
LOL

Why is this manga so good? So far all of the arcs have been top tier. Even the current arc is starting to look good despite Hild showing up.

Can't believe it has already been 50 chapters since end of farmland saga.

>Farmland saga
>Pacifism
>literally taking care of my wife's son

0/10

>lesbian genius hunter women
>beats the main character in a fight
>belittles everything everyone says
>all around a negative cunt

she's like an unlikable kid thorfinn

Yeah. A hard reached feeling in manga, often falling short and just becoming edgy.
I really felt for these guys. They were in no way innocent, still though.
Also the author got that gallows humour on point as so often is seen in the old litterature from the time.

>So far all of the arcs have been top tier
you clearly were not on Sup Forums for farmland saga

What?
Thorfinn could have taken Hild down if he had seriously been trying to kill her. But he wasn't trying to even fight her, he just wanted her to give him the antidote.
Aww, farmland saga is fine if you read it all at once.

>Make a Vinland thread yesterday, >gets like 4 posts

>Another thread get posted
>gets 10+

Why even bother

>Taking care of my wife's son
What the fuck are you talking about?

Thofrin took in another mans baby, or have you forgotten?

Hox version out yet?

What do you think the point of this manga is?

Well it started as a great historical war drama, now it's preachy soapbox shit.

>War is bad m'kay
OH MY GOOD THANK YOU FOR THIS UNIQUE AND ENLIGHTENING REALIZATION

Even the slant towards Christian values reflects things like Njala.

I was a huge fan of Planetes too but Vinland is just a really accomplished work, all told. Everything in it ultimately pulls towards what it's reaching for.

>Thorfinn could have taken Hild down if he had seriously been trying to kill her
I disagree. What was he going to do differently, had he actually been trying to kill her? She still would have had the jump on him, still would have had all those traps. Not to mention the lady crossbow for ladies only and the skills to uyse it with deadly efficiency. Thorfinn with daggers still would have lost.
Unless you mean something like, had he been seriously trying to kill her, he would have never let her get back into the forest to wait and plan for the upcoming fight, slitting her throat immediately from the jump like young Thorfinn would've done. There, you may have a point.

I've never read this manga, but my dad like's Vikings so I ordered Vol1 of it for him for Christmas.
Did I do good, Sup Forums?

Probably my favorite manga of all time. I hope you enjoy it.

Re-read the manga yesterday and every major character is practically a demi-god compared to normal people. That part where the guy rows alone with extra large paddle versus 5 guys, lol.

The introduction of Hild was some of worst writing Ive seen. "genious" engineer without any training, builds herself a magic crossbow that takes 2 seconds to reload and shoot. Thorfins crew believing some bear poison/antidote nonsense. Then she has this comical "im not going to let him out of my sight" as if she doesnt have object permanency in her brain.

Sup Forums was complaining because it was too slow.
Now that it's completed, it's the best arc of the manga.

I get what you're coming from, but the story is not about that, it's about the protagonist realizing that and then making something different with that realization.

They need to get on the fucking boat already though.

HILD A CUTE

Glad to hear! It'd be my dad enjoying it, but thanks.

more like Thorfinn needs to get in a monastic order and be done with it

You retarded? he had several opportunities where he was close enough to her to gravely injure/hamper her movement.

But he didn't because he was aiming to immobilize her with as little violence as possible.

timing, motherfucker

Best payoff though

Slave arc made me incredibly depressed. I don't know why, really. It's not like any of the themes were really new or anything. I really felt for Thorfinn. Revenge stories are something we see often in anime and manga but the LOSS of revenge aspect is something I found interesting. Everything just seemed so hopeless, and getting worse. Ketil turns out to be a crazy possessive dirtbag murderer. Arneis and Gardar get a horrible end..
Hands down, MVP of that arc goes to Snake. I loved him and his mysterious relationship with the old man. Also the hype when he fights Thorfinn and is pretty much his equal.
I miss the threads though, shit as they were.

Best girl

You mean before she brought up the poison and got a chance to hide in the forest and prepare? IIRC the only time Thorfinn got close to her was right at the end where she reveals how fast she can reload her crossbow to immobilize him with leg shots.
Or what are you talking about?

Mommy's the strongest!

The series was written from the ground up as a story about redemption, non-violence, and humanitarianism. That's why the author chose the setting to begin with.

>Snake
Fuck yeah.

Really though. Where would she rank in power terms? She's the blood of Thors, already shown to be super strong and adept. She would kick so much fucking ass if she had to, I think.

when was that?

So many awesome moments I've all forgotten about.
Time for a rewarding reread.

I’m looking forward to how the Byzantine Empire will be portrayed since they are going there

One of the main themes in this series is escapism, and how it comes in different forms. Vikings fight and pillage for their escapism, Thors and Thorfinn run away and hide for theirs. The only guy who doesn't is Canute, but ironically because he's basically alone in that regard with few true allies, what he achieves will crumble like a sand castle because he has no one to pass it onto properly. Thorfinn won't have a happy ending, he will realize just like Thors no matter how far you run away conflict is something that must be dealt with and that's what these arcs are all about. The biggest irony/tragedy is that Yukimura allowed Thorfinn to become this larger than life character than his historical counterpart, meaning that this character who wants to atone and all that had the power in his hands to actually help Canute create lasting change in Europe, but he doesn't because he's like his dad, veiling his escapism for idealism and that's why he keeps going through all this shit.

I know we probably will never see him again, but if we do, I'd be so hype

I think the one-off chapter where she finds out Thors died.

Make them at the right time.

>165158340
I'm pretty hype about byzantine as well. Varangian guard ahoy.

Also, Isn't Snake heavily implied to be a former varangian as well? Dude use wootz scimitar and read greek bible like no biggie

So hild x thorfinn is endgame right? They share the struggle of losing someone and never getting over it and hild fills out his big sisters role as a hard ass.

No, it's most likely going to be Gudrid.

gudrid has no chemistry with him though. We know she likes him but she's done nothing with that and honestly isn't that helpful.

Historically, it was Gudrid that won the Thorfinn bowl.

true. So I guess she has the highest chance. Even so the manga heavily deviates from the real story it seems besides the main idea of going to vinland.

>gudrid has no chemistry with him though
What chemistry does Hild exactly have with him?

>but she's done nothing with that and honestly isn't that helpful.
Not yet. The romance will come into play later.

Isnt being tsundere towards someone basically asking to get married later?

>What chemistry does Hild exactly have with him?
they share similar qualities and are tied together historically in an event that they can both relate to on a personal level unlike gudrid who he just met and said "yeah come aboard if you want to".

Maybe gudrid becomes interesting later but at this point besides comedy she's not much to write about as a character.

Which Thorfinn though?

I want Hild to fucking die already. She is literally NO FUN: THE CHARACTER. No one can do a single thing to achieve their hopes and dream and goals because of this stupid useless bitch and her grudge.

>Thorfins crew believing some bear poison/antidote nonsense.
What's so unbelievable about this? It was a ruse. Get over yourself.

>niggerstream version
You underaged shills need to fuck off forever

Hox's version isn't out unfortunately

isn't it good writing to have a character that opposes every single thing the main character does

So I'm predicting someone will be holding Gudrid hostage, Thorfin will come close to losing it and killing them, and Hild will somehow bring him back.

>What chemistry does Hild exactly have with him?
Can you imagine the hatefucks they would have every night? Hild domming and cutting Thorfinn a bit and Thorfinn tying her up and fucking senseless? Someone has to make a doujin of it

>No one can do a single thing to achieve their hopes and dream and goals because of this stupid useless bitch and her grudge.

she's literally a grown female thornfin pre farmland saga

I forgot how he was the one that woke up thorfinn from "I don't care" state

in fact I'd say she's better because she doesn't kill innocent people to have a chance to kill the person she hates

If you didn't realize the intentions of this work from like chapter 2 at the latest, then you're dense.

what do you think sex with her was like?

I agree.

like sex with an animal

Will the cast be impressed by Miklagard once they get there?

The Byzantine Empire should be at its medieval peak with Basil the Bulgar Slayer in charge. Thorfinn's en route to see a city of over five hundred thousand people and the highest form of civilisation he is ever likely to see.

I bet Gudrid will be impressed.

what a shitty setting for that message. its only going to get worse, war-wise. relatively speaking wars were extremely tame at this time

I want to pinch her cheeks.

and was it his wife?

be ready for a shock after the timeskip, though

The best.

True. It'd be nice to see her with that haircut again, but that's probably not gonna happen since it would hinder her vision.

DUDE, mild and pussified VIOLENCE on a shitty series with awful writing to attract nu-soyboys LMAO