Since when did the standards drop so low?

Since when did the standards drop so low?

Literally no merit past ~200. I'd rather pull the trigger than watch 1000 tv anime, of which most are fucking rehashed themes and characters, 90% of them look similar or almost the same with almost all of them having questionable writing. Including OVAs, movies and shorts I can see it, since those at least contribute something to the medium.

Doesn't matter if you've watched 1000 shows if you can't state valuable information about even half of them.

Someone who knows a lot about 1 manga is pretty much the same as someone who knows jack shit about the 1000 shows they've watched. It doesn't take much effort to watch shows after all, a monkey could do that. What matters is the information that you were able to retain from what you watched and if you are able to form a coherent opinion on it.

I only watch what I like, and I can easily fit in. Heck, I can easily participate in all the current threads of all the current season without having watched any episodes, because the rehashed plots in those shows, combined the low discussion quality level on Sup Forums makes it easy to fake being an avid watcher.

This so much. As someone who has watched around 700 shows over the last 12 years, I only distinctly remember 200 or so, and genuinely love maybe 100.
Its really not worth it. Investing your time into the best works of other underrated mediums (literature, theater, obscure music, etc..) is much more rewarding.

here come the pseudo-intellectuals coming to defend themselves for only watching 150 as if it matters

I've only watched 10 animes and I post on Sup Forums.

Excuses the thread.
Fucking wow.

Come on, guys. Please reply to my thread already.

First we've got to define what watch means. Tons of normalfags put some shit from Netflix or Crunchyrole onscreen and then do their nails or text girls or whatever it is normalfags do. I say that's not watching.

Watch means no speed-watching and no multi-tasking besides eating.

B-but what about breathing air or drinking?
I need to breath, or else I die.
I'm sure of that fact.

You just aren't trying hard enough, just practice not breathing while watching anime.

It's factually proven that holding your breath during periods of watching always increases experience.

>doesn't like anime
>pseuds who jerk off about the fact that they've read the most entry level Lit101 books and watch some Godard films.
>literally just here to shitpost
If you're watching it subbed, multi-tasking shouldn't be an option.

Yeah but, was the first 200 the ones you remember? of course not. You need to weave through the shit get what you like. If you faggots really disliked watching so much of it you'd stop.

I wish I had another hobby so I wasn't as bored during the downtime between shows airing.

Kill yourself back to >>reddit, pleb scum.

>a monkey could do that
You're an idiot. It's pretty hard to not retain anything, unless you're really not paying attention. But, the concept of entertainment seems to be beyond you.

I'd watch more shows if characters had more than a single personality trait.

Clearly, you aren't watching the right shows. This is a reddit-tier response.

I don't want multiple traits it reminds me too much of real life.

It shouldn't be the norm.

>Someone who knows a lot about 1 manga is pretty much the same as someone who knows jack shit about the 1000 shows they've watched.

>It shouldn't be the norm.

It's not.

Because that's the Japanese way. If you can watch 250 and see everything good, watching four times as many is four times as good.

Salaryman only has 2 hours of real work in a day, but you're not really working hard unless you put in 14 hours at the office every day.

Watch harder, not smarter.

Either you've watched ten shows or actually complex characters have completely passed you by. You're the kind of person who needs the anime to tell you how complex it is, aren't you?

Thirsty otaku ruined anime. We accepted mediocrity, it's why we accepted that this medium will never try to explore the limits again. That's why we're getting endless harems, boring fanservice "comedy" with the same old clichés and jokes and the same old CGDCT shows with a new coat of paint.

Maybe you're just retarded and can't read subtitles?

100 good shows > 1000 sol comedies

I just need my drugs in anime form.

10 good shows>100 sol comedies

So, does this mean 1 good show > 10 sol comedies?

You have to go back.

So 1 good show < 11 SOL comedies?

Yep. Everyone who watched more than 1 anime are just elitists with shit taste.

it's a fucking joke.

Perhaps 1 good show ≥ 11 sol comedies.

That's the fucking point you retard.

There are some SOL comedies that actually have some worth but generally 10 is an easy to digest average.

Because you can't say something is truly shit or not if you haven't watched or read it.
"But I have standards" is just a horrible excuse for people who aren't willing to try anything new, and would rather rely on reviews and the opinions of others.

I'd genuinely be more impressed by a guy with infinite autismal knowledge on 1 manga than knowing a little bit about 1000 shows though.

Threads like these are were retards thrive.

Characters with proper characterizing exist in every season, sure, I'm just upset Japan is content with letting the most of the characters fall into generic archetypes, knowing full well that most of them will never have any sort of character development. Having to actively pick shows that I can expect proper characterization shouldn't be a thing.
At least I'm not picking up Generic Harem #34234 for the sake of plot/character development.

What if that good show is a slice of life?
What's the equation then?

/0

What wrote, or it's not a comedy.
Perhaps it's a slice of life tragedy.

The retards in this thread do not know what slice of life means.

Manga is almost always better

>People who suffer/force themselves through garbage for that +1 anime watched
Why do you do this to yourselves?

Just taking a guess, but you sound like the kind of person who has internalized some strange and unrealistic standards from reading too much of the shit that people like to spew. You probably don't even know what characterization really is.

>the guys who spend the most money on anime are the ones who ruined anime
Makes you think

Define "garbage".
And if you don't enjoy a certain show you shouldn't watch it anyway. The problem is that people who hate anime love using "standards" as an excuse to not watch anything at the same as they complain that all current anime is shit. Those are the ones who always show up in random threads asking if something is worth watching, by the way.

Fucking this. 1418 anime watched and not proud of it.
Only 100 in the bunch were really worth it and truly entertaining.

Is there something worth watching?

I drop shows all the time, and I've still seen over 600. Maybe you just have narrow (bad) taste.

>asking if something is worth watching
So, the kind of people who need validation from others? Makes sense.

This too

5000 watched here, and I hated every one.

This.
You can join any thread and post
>I want to fuck X
>the protag is such a bland piece of shit
>when does it get good
Etc and you will always be right

Low quality.

Get fucking good, scrubs. I've seen at least 10k minimum, and all of it was absolute trash. See yourselves out, casualfags.

People shitpost on Sup Forums because they watch anime, it shouldn't be the other way around.

You should just try a different hobby if you hate anime so much.

To what end?

Yup, every post that doesn't say the things you want to read is low quality bait. You finally figured it out.

To get replies and have someone talking to you of course.

Thanks for letting me know you were baiting.
I suspected you were before but I was still hopeful you weren't.
Namecalling like that instead of refuting tends to be quite obvious.
I'll give you one last (You) after this one.

Communication

You're not very bright are you?

If you want "high quality" "discussion" about "anime", is that way.

Sounds pathetic.

That's what Sup Forums is here for.

Sounds sad. At least post on a board and talk about something you like.

I like to imagine that people enjoy discussing things seriously more than they do in reality.

I like to kill some time.

I am here for that Kino of the Season(Except when I skip a whole season) and sometimes I pick up one of the comedies like Konosuba or Umaru, waifu ensemble like GuP or Senran Kagura or a super serious yet mild edgefests like Gate, CrossAnge or Overlord, and on occasion will go back to rewatch something from an older season.
So here I am, an absolute pleb

Define "garbage"
cliches, meta humor, excessive use of X and general nonsense

most SoL and every haremshit has truckloads of this.

I already have seen hyaku man anime (one million for you, baka gaijin) and can confirm that all anime is, in fact, crap.

Hello cancer.

To elaborate on these guys, I would say ultimately what you should be doing is once you start watching shows seasonally and have have cherry picked most of the great shows everyone knows about, you should seriously try watching the first episode of every new show for a year or two, and feel free to drop them and just do a quick check at the end of the season to see how they did.

I have over 1500 on my list and more than half of those are dropped since I can almost always tell how high of a rating the show will get by the end of the season. Of course I only suggest this if you are going to keep watching anime anyway. Don't be one of those people who think you have to finish watching every show; that is mental.

what started the trend of counting? I've been watching anime for literally 30 years and I never once thought to keep a list or count. I just don't care. When exactly did this start and where? Is it a facebook thing?

See

Most rational fans know it's mostly a joke, but people still get heated over it.

if I had to guess websites were made to keep track of your shows, but also had a number. So naturally higher number = better; like a power level.

I've read 1284, different manga series and seen about 20 diffrent animes (not counting movies)
Only reason I know this is because I rate the manga I read on Goodreads, this also makes it easier to find them and organize them based on genre so I can remember them later. Counting how many you've seen for superiority is stupid

I use MAL exclusively to keep track of anime because it's helpful for keeping track of airing anime and backlog since i have shitty memory. I don't even score stuff.

He's defining garbage you blithering retard

Why would you even watch this much?