Just finished this series. What did you think, Sup Forumsnons?

Just finished this series. What did you think, Sup Forumsnons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V3pQdfcECNw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You tell us, you are the one who just finished watching it.

Overrated garbage

The certified meme opinion is that "it's overrated shit".

Terrific. Very enjoyable to watch if you're looking for something that is longer than your usual 12/24ep series

O MY POISONED CANDY

I gave it 7/10 just because I don't like open endings.

Good sleep inducer, just like everything else from the author.

Very solid. One of the best episodes was when Tenma and Dieter spent the day with the old couple. There is also this
youtube.com/watch?v=V3pQdfcECNw

Genuinely liked Monster. Wish there were more grounded psychological series like it.

My only issue was that the pacing was a bit slow in the middle after so many episodes, and I have mixed feelings on the resolution of Tenma's moral arc. And the several other missed opportunities for someone to just shoot Johan before he can commit more blatant atrocities.

Didn't want to make a blog post. I am just genuinely curious about other opinions. I thought it brety gud until the end IMO. Tenma's decision at the end felt poetically forced. Don't care how much pottery Tenma only having hands that can save and not kill, in no universe is saving an unrepentent person that killed thousands of life a sensible choice. Also the lame cockblock with Johan's name was annoying. Talking with their mother vibes of MGS4 ending to me as well. A little hackneyed.

That said, a little pretentious and 2deep4u at times with its philosophy but brety gud out of 10.

So I'm gathering a lot of people didn't like the ending?

I don't hate it. I liked the setup of the final stretch, the twist behind Johan and Nina's past, and how Lunge and Grimmer resolved their arcs in the final conflict that Johan had set the stage for.

But the final face-off was kind of hard for me to swallow. If Tenma had showed up later, and his choice was solely to decide whether or not to save Johan or not, it would have been one thing. But when Johan was ready to kill a kid right in front of him I was just frustrated that he still couldn't pull the trigger.

And Hell, I think Nina had more of a reason to shoot him than anyone. How many of her adoptive families had he destroyed by that point? I can't even remember why she didn't want to kill him in the end.

She didn't want to kill him because she was the one experimented on and she felt like sharing her experiences with Johan made her responsible. In addition she remembered that Klaus Poppe killed everyone at Red Rose to end the experiments and try to give her and Johan a normal life. He told her to not let themselves become monsters.

But, wasn't Johan already screwed up by the time he was sent to Kinderheim?

And he proceeded to destroy every chance at a normal life that the two had ever since.

>billy bat will never come back

Great story and good characters, but the pacing around the middle is god damn awful, it has a lot of episodes where absolutely nothing happens

Tenma's character arc is effectively a circle. He questions throughout if it was right to save Johan and by the end he decides that he was right all along. Honestly, I kinda like it but I can understand why others would not

Yeah, with the info he had at the time I think the first surgery was the right call, but the mile-high body count Johan and Roberto leave behind kind of mitigates the "Their lives are still completely equal to ours" theme for me.

u mean underated by Sup Forumsplebs

It's mostly Tenma's ideals taken to the extreme. Previously he went with Johan because he arrived first and it isn't his job to put the worth of one person's life over another. At the end it's just Johan and he saves him anyway. So far as I understand it Tenma believes that it is a doctor's duty to save lives whenever able, even if they are a Monster.

Boring.

I had really high hopes for the series up until that

Decent series overall but it had a real weird mix of very good content and many stretches of episodes that you really had to grind through

Yeah, I can appreciate him saving anyone who's brought to his table as a doctor, it's just harder for me to see it as Tenma maturing as a character when he's weighing Johan's life against all the other lives that he's currently in the middle of endangering, and he still prioritizes the idea of not taking a life over saving as many of those lives as possible.

They constantly shift back and forth with that. Flashbacks indicate he was evil incarnate at Kinderheim and one of the heads even comments only evil that perfect can be born as such. Later the author gets hung up on Anna and Johan having the exact same experiences/memories but one that shaped them (that one being Johan unsure if was the chosen child or mistaken for Anna)

One of the most engaging Manga I've ever read. Doesn't try to be more "pretentious" when it comes to psychological dichotomies and moral playfulness. Tenma is the doctor on redemption spree and Johan is the mastermind in the most archetypal sense.

Will recommend it 10/10 times

Ending is a great pleb filter.

WHY THE FUCK IS NAOKI URASAWA THE BEST?

The best out of his series I think (even if I liked Pluto more), if only for the fact that this ending was at least moderatley satisfying.

I love the author but damn, his series always start to dip pretty hard as it wraps up.

I think it's a great story, even though the Nina Fortner amnesia plot near the end of the show was utter garbage

I would die for him.

The entire story is just vague stuff that never amounts to coherence.

Felt like something that belonged on mainsteam American television, not anime. That's for starters. When I saw it was going to be 50 episodes of single-episode filler arcs I fucking dropped it like a groid baby

I've read it years ago and thought it was just 'good'. Felt abit drawn out at some places but was overall satisfying, just couldn't see it as the unmatched masterpiece it's hailed as.

A lot of people bring up pacing and yes, Monster seems to be dragged but it's the kind of show where you NEED to see what the characters go through, their inner thoughts and how they change because of it. Character development is the main point of the show rather than solving any mystery.

why did he look asian?

What's special about the character development? It felt way too sterile.

Felt very blueballed when Lunge didn't get to blow whatshisface's brains out

The manga is better

It’s the best anime desu + johan liebrt is the best villain

Quite a good story, but I felt like they had no idea how to resolve Johan. I didn't even get what the hell he was, like at first they imply that he was turned into monster because of the training, then that it wasn't the training it was the fact that his mother made a choice, and then they say that this wasn't it either and Johan was just inherently evil from the start, which is just stupid.

Anyone under the age of 15 will hate it due to their undeveloped brain. But adults will appreciate it and love it because it takes a mature person to understand this anime.

It has the best spanish dub in anime.

Masterpiece

Best, not even memeing.

Pluto is better

I love Eva. She deserved everything she ever wanted. Tenma should have gone back to her, she would have died for him.

how different is manga from anime?

I think the story is okay, but the character's motivations aren't always believable, particularly Tenma's. The animation is non-existent and I don't care for the dull early CG color pallette. The manga really is much better, and I think the anime owes all its repute to the source material.

The manga art is way better. I hate the weird colouring in the anime, it's so dull and unappealing.

I dunno, I think the dull colours are perfect fit for the atmosphere of the series.

You can do grey tones without it looking flat and cheap.

That's not an excuse. You can portray a realistic environment without making the colours puke-ugly. And they made the women ugly in the anime.

Waifufags everyone

You'd have to be blind to not see the drastic difference in art quality between the manga and anime.

What do you think?

The manga has much better pacing

Nope.

I think the pacing isn't that great and parts could have easily been taken out to create the same story. I felt Johan's motive ruins the show and the build up that takes 60+ episodes to get to. I gave it a 6/10

tl;dw

Agreed

This is what I thought I also agree with the pacing issues. Animation was lackluster but getting funding for a 74 episode seinen was a miracle. I don't agree about the comments on the art style. The anime never looks as good as a manga for one point and two a brighter palette never works with that jilted, low frame animation style. Ideally it could have looked nicer but I'm a realist in understanding the budget issues they likely faced.

Budget isn't an excuse for bad art, merely a possible explanation.

Lots of great parts, lots of boring as fuck parts
Enjoyable characters, but overall story was a mess and the ending is weak
A good watch, but honestly not worth the sheer time investment for it

Overrated shit.

In order to catch the culprit you must become the culprit.
Base Lunge just took this 5 steps beyond

I would like to see more of Johan, he almost don't show up.

The art was the best art style for that animation and other animes recognized that. Shit like LOGH were using that flat, dull style 20 years prior. It looked as good as it could because a brighter palette in that animation style looks even more jerky than it already is. Look at Trigun for a good example of that.

LoGH has great coloring. Please don't compare gorgeous hand-painted OVAs to early 2000's CG shit.

Bad pacing in the middle. Not as satisfying resolution as I'd hoped. I remember the German police guy's character arc being really touching. A decent show though.

Nope. Nothing flat or dull here.

Posting gorgeous screenshots is only proving my point.

So where do I spend my gems for a Blue Eyes deck?

Who's cuter, Anna or Kanna?

How does it make you feel Johan and Anna have exactly the same face?

and slowly, you come to realize

It is all as it should be?

I dropped it as soon as they started hating on neo nazis

Horrible pacing

kanna is way cuter

Monster is a masterpiece and people who claim it has bad pacing or is slow are idiots. Everything ties into the main plot at some point besides maybe a few early stories like the couple that gave Tenma and the boy a ride and waited for them to come back with gas etc. Which was still charming. Even the training episodes were very good.

Id hate to call it a high IQ anime since that is pretentious as fuck but Monster requires you to sit down and be observant to truly enjoy all of it as a whole. It has great symbolism twists and character development.

Monster is hands down my favorite anime which would only be rivaled by Berserk and Jojo part 7 if they had proper fully adapted manga to anime adaptions.

Am I being baited?

I enjoyed it greatly. My favourite anime. So much so I actually bought some of the settei.

agreed

WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS???
I have the book scans but there were absolutely NO pages with Johan. I'm begging you here, please reply.

Found a whole load of them on an auction site.

I saw a new Urasawa series on MS. I guess Billy Bat must have finally ended? I lost track of it at some point, it seemed to lose track of itself.

Is this bait?

>It has great symbolism twists and character development.
You've convinced me, reddit.

That's the rule for the vast majority of manga to anime conversions. Monster should be judged compared to its peers, and in that degree its style suits it.

Off the top of my head the only series I can think of that were better art-wise in the anime were Ouran and Mob Psycho.

Every Plot Twist Is Heavily Telegraphed and Made Painfully Obvious: The Show

Samurai Champloo, Paranoia Agent, GitS SAC 2, and Gankutsuou all came out the smae year, and look much better.

Are you done??Oh user...I love you!! You have NO idea how insanely happy this makes me...This was so out of the blue!! Thank you so, so very much!! Is there anything I could do for you??

Stop acting like an autistic fag, thank you.

Stop posting maybe?