How the fuck did we get from this, to shit like eromanga sensei?...

How the fuck did we get from this, to shit like eromanga sensei?, there use to be so much gore in anime (good one i mean not some censored piece of shit, im looking at you terraformars), where have those days gone?, will we ever see those glorious bloodbaths we use to get?, fuck this new generation of moe for the sake of moe and no violence shit

I wonder about that too, OP. I mean surely there's at least a niche market for gory OAVs with heavy shadows? I can't be the only 30 something wishing them back.

Disregard me, I suck cocks and desperately need attention because my other trash thread got deleted.

t. 15yo edgelords
You are truly mistaken if you think that it was the norm and not just some OVAs.

Ow the edge.

Anime grew up. Edgy shit is garbage for teenagers.

considering one of the biggest shonen of the 80 as tons and tons of it, i think its safe to say it was

It was quite a lot of movies and ovas. Now it's nothing.

>t.
Point proven.

There's no correlation between gory action series and slice of life.

I'm wasting my time replying to a bait thread, but people who think this never take into consideration that gore was more popular in 80s live action film as well, and that was likely their source of inspiration for them. Now that practical effects are gone, splashy gore effects aren't done in live action either.

Post 95 japan, my theory:

After the japanese incidents with those terrorist that used gas, and that killer who beheaded children, the japs did the stupid shit we scorn and frawn upon, blaming the media, hence why media become so sterile.

That's why Super Sentai its all kid friendly doofy stuff due to Carranger, and afterwards, Timerranger was the closest to a "serious'' sentai, and even then it does not come close to be like Bioman, Jetman or Liveman.

But to be fair, Tsubaki Shoujo got censored due to going too far with that horrific scene with the puppies, the rape, and that freakout scene that was more graphic than in the manga. (tough there are many contradicting stories about whatever the original negatives were destroyed or just confiscated, cant be since there's a ''PG-13'' film version that was last shown in projections years ago in japan, and its the only version approved by Hiroshi Harada to be shown there)

Every single manime poster has under 300 completed. Every single time.

I, too, enjoy moeshit #13371488666. That's how I pad out my MAL

300 is the minimum required to post on Sup Forums, retard.

What the fuck did eromanga sensei do to you, you fucking baby. If gore shit isn't made anymore is because nobody likes it and/or nobody buys it, the end.

>What the fuck did eromanga sensei do to you

oh cry me a river, your shit taste is showing

what isn't edgy to the average anonster nowadays

What shit taste you fucking idiot? I haven't even watched that show, but you seem to have a bone to pick with it for whatever reason.

>What shit taste you fucking idiot?
> I haven't even watched that show

you know you did faggot

What are you trying to accomplish with this discussion?

Yes, posting on an anime image board is very important dire stuff. Now, drink your milk or you won't get any desert from mummy tonight.

Berserk is enough to fill my edge void

>Eromanga Sensei
>bad

Lurk for 2 years before posting.

idk, who ever posted first was ranting about eromanga sensei being disliked by me, and that by it self is retarded, but for me its just fun to see some faggot get angry for no reason

I thought it was a 1000

that's the backlog image macro

Crawl back into your mums womb and revert to your true form.

Son, time to go to bed and let the grown men speak.

>Berserk
>edgy
Berserk hasn't been edgy for almost a decade. Hell, it even got moefied. There's no escape from moe.

ironic shitposting is just shitposting

Man I really fucking love manimefags who handpick examples of "good" anime to prove that all old shows are amazing and manly as fuck. Thank you for the laugh OP.

He's not wrong though. The violence in modern TV anime has been seriously toned down.

Eromanga sensei is literally a modern masterpeice, it revolutionizes the JC genre what more do you fucking edgelords need

>He doesn't read manga

It's a shame really, since I do love a bit of gore. For anime that air in primetime slots or whatever I understand, but why are late night shows affected too? Is it really just to increase BD sales?

I don't need pedobait, that's for sure.

I remember reading the first volume of this. Cartoony, but good shit.

About how many chapters are they at now? Any good still?

>generic slice of life crap is considered "growing up"
imagine being this much of a pretentious retard

It's not that anime went "less gory" at all, just that the OAV market collapsed, and most violent anime went to late night TV, with the conditions that had.

You haven't seen the light yet newfag

The lastest chapter shows demented penis monsters and symbols of violence and rape

Gore was generally limited to OVAs. Even Hokuto no Ken was heavily censored with significantly less blood, opting for exploding silhouettes instead for the particularly gory parts. Naturally a show meant for a less public audience could get away with more, like how movies shown on airplanes and on tv channels tend to be censored.

True. But it is still a legitimate complaint that the OVA market died, since we haven't had a new medium to properly replace it. I miss the wild west of bizarro shit with little if any corporate oversight that the OVA boom gave us. Even early 2000s "mature" TV anime tended to mix in the tropes that the producers demanded that they thought would make it a mainstream hit. Divergence Eve being a great example of an attempt at an edgy OVA styled cosmic horror story loaded up with a stereotypical romcom female protag and an ending theme song and animation that seemed like it would belong to an ecchi show. Same with that annoying female lead in Soultaker , gotta throw in an annoying moe girl who adds nothing to the story and breaks the tone constantly with her antics because she will draw fans to the show because anime fans like gross looking annoying moe girls. Some cases worked out better - but the late 90s and early 00s did'nt actually do that great of a job at replacing the OVA scene. If anything it was by in large a sterilization of those elements into a form that the masses would eat up.

What happened to the ova market if I may ask oldfag? What forced the transition to late night?

Scanalation is at chapter 58, and Japan is on volume 10. Haven't caught up myself, but I'm still enjoying the hell out of it.

Not him, but I think it had a lot to do with the Japanese economy in general. Back in the 80s Japan's economy was booming. The government actually subsidized the anime industry for a while. Not to mention that people just had more money to throw around, so sales were better.

Mirai Nikki has gore you no-goodunk.

>hurr durr edgy xxDD

that genre doesn't look good on cheap glossy lifeless CGI moeshit glitter eyed baby animation studios force down our throats these days. its really just production cost.

Cry about the japan economic bubble crash and the depressed sons of world war 2 losers.

>If anything it was by in large a sterilization of those elements into a form that the masses would eat up.

Bound to happen anyway. Edgy late night anime had a time to shine after Evangelion until the early 00s, but there's nothing like it anymore, really. Now everything made goes through the signifiers and types of moeblob easy cash, what could be called an otaku gentrification, which causes that stuff like Madoka Magica gets called "shocking" just because of the subversion of those same types without even going close into any real subversion of the constiuents of visual style that conform the genre, but a different stylization.

What do you think about the apparent freedom with blood and nudity Devilman Crybaby is having with Netflix? It's certainly a change of pace, specially with Yuasa's usual ultimately happy themes.

The Lost Decade helped.

You've never seen real gore. It was also censored on release if my memory is correct.

Because manime is cringe. I watched Kaiji S1 and he was repeating the same overdramatic emotions over and over again. Only the Rock Paper Scissors arc was tolerable.

Because you're cherry picking you idiot. Why does this same stupid question get asked every week?

He isn't cherry picking though. There was more gory anime in the 80s than there is today.

funny cuz i do faggot

And the motives have been adequately explained in the thread.

Yes, and? It's still not "cherry picking."

>Because you're cherry picking you idiot
>never seen an anime from the 80s or 90s

This is what happen when the most selling manga is one piece instead of hokuto no Ken.

I'm not very old, I grew up watching late 90s and early 2000s anime mainly, though I was lucky enough to be exposed to 80s Gundam and some of the earlier ovas. I guess I did rent Ninja Scroll when I was 9 as something of an introduction, but I'm from the tail end of that era at best.

Basically the economy got worse and people got more conservative about where they threw their money. TV means added revenue via the station you play your show on ( even if it is just at late night, that is significant, it also gives potential consumers of the tapes a preview). Just relying on your tapes selling was only a workable model in the 80s/first few years of the 90s when consumers had enough money to risk on random OVAS they read about in a magazine, and producers had enough money that a few products flopping was no big deal.

It was a rather short period unfortunately. I'm actually pretty curious about what Japanese fans think of the shift. Because I'm not sure if anyone but mid 20s+ north american fans see the shift as a negative thing. It seems like the only real hope would be north american fans becoming such a significant part of the market that Japan starts making more shows with them in mind again like they were in the 90s ( even GITS 95 had North American money funneled into it, I can live without another MD Geist II though). It has started happening a bit rcently. Personally I'm glad that anime went in new directions - I just wish that older styles did'nt have to completely vanish in the process.

I hope they will live up to what they are hyping up with Devilman Crybaby. I'm still adjusting to the art style personally, but I do see potential for it to end up working well.

>It was a rather short period unfortunately

I'm still amazed things like Serial Experiments Lain (as a very extreme example of "how the fuck did that get past TV") passed through TV production and distribution without censorship. It wouldn't even pass as a web series today!

and thats sad, it is such a good anime

Back during the 80s/90s, there was also no big market in Japan for collections of full series on vhs. Most series only got full releases like that for rentals, while people generally only bought movies, OVAs or specific limited releases. So, in addition to the economic downturn, the standard shows getting releases aimed at consumers thanks to the rise of the DVD market bit into the OVAs market. And, yes, the rise of late night anime meant they didn't need to go for OVAs for series with little potential for ratings, also hurting OVAs - but in spite of being late night they're still tied to tv standards which got stricter after the 90s.

Where is this from?

It doesn't look like Hokuto no Ken.

Violence Jack, now go get some enlightenment on good uncensored gore

Most somewhat sane people give up anime after around 300, because it’s literally all the same shit after that.

Just rewatch Lucky Star and Kannagi if you want to see good animu again. Anime is ruined and trash forever now.

You do realize Lain is random crap? Each episode was made on the fly. That's why the pacing is so bad. You brainlet EOPs should read Chaos;Child for coherent commentary on similar subject matter.

Also, Haibane is the same shit. Texhnolyze was the the only good one of the bunch.

I wasn't making a commentary on value there.

Yuasa's Devilman is coming, and with Netflix and Amazon-funded shows they will not have to deal with Japanese TV restrictions.