Now that the dust has settled...

Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that Gundam 0079 is literally unwatchable due to shit animation and Zeta is superior?

Other urls found in this thread:

mahq.net/animation/gundam/zeta/zgep45.htm
mahq.net/animation/gundam/zeta/zgep40.htm
mahq.net/animation/gundam/zeta/zgep28.htm
mahq.net/animation/gundam/zeta/zgep34.htm
mahq.net/animation/gundam/zeta/zgep32.htm
youtube.com/watch?v=lsDQe92DVRs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Even if the animation was worse, I found the writing to be better and the pacing to be more well done. Zeta has some great moments but there are also missteps general Tomino autism that gets in the way. Just for an example is the girl who defects to Zeon because she is a women and muh women feels so I better betray everybody around me.

All Gundam is unwatchable

You are unwatchable. You wouldn't be here otherwise.

>mecha
Imagine being so mentally stunted you spend your days watching half hour long toy commercials.

Then give me something more interesting to watch.

>he thinks his favorite anime isn't a commercial

No, she fell for Scirocco's cock because Char wouldn't unzip it.

Zeta is generally better, but 0079 has much better highs and is more memorable.
War in the Burger is the second best gundam entry.

It's not even that bad and I don't know what you'd expect from an anime from 1979 you big baby

No.

Me an intelektual who watches more thought provoking cartoons that aren't trying to sell me anything

But I love 0079 and had a great time watching it?

Show me an anime that is not a commercial then.

Now that the dust has settled, can we agree that even if ZZ is silly, it's better than the anticlimatic Char's Counterattack?

>Just for an example is the girl who defects to Zeon because she is a women and muh women feels so I better betray everybody around me.

Reccoa betrayed AEUG because she was deeply disturbed due to her life as a child soldier and rape by her allies during the one year war, she both desperately wanted to be loved as a woman and also needed the thrill of adrenaline rush - a man like Scirroco could give her the appearance the former and a ton of the latter, and he used his Newtype powers to take advantage of her weakness. She made it very clear prior to her betrayal in a talk with Fa that she had no ideological commitment to the AEUG, she was just in it for herself. It made total sense that she betrayed and they spent almost ten episodes developing it.

That is why mecha series tended to have better stories and characters than average anime though. Since they were toy commercials the producers only cared about the toys being cool, which gave the directors and staff free reign to be creative with everything else and deny the boring conventions set out by the masses and the industry. This is why both Gundam and Macross would be so influential, they were able to revolutionize anime storytelling because they were toy commercials. Shows that are just about the characters and story from a producers side of things will have to sell based on their story and characters, meaning they usually have to play to all the safe tropes and not rock the boat too much.

Of course come the 00s anime got so corporate and the industry got so conservative that just having cool toys was not enough, and since then mecha shows are also being forced into conventionalism, and hence the genre has died.

>Reccoa betrayed AEUG because she was deeply disturbed due to her life as a child soldier and rape by her allies during the one year war, she both desperately wanted to be loved as a woman and also needed the thrill of adrenaline rush - a man like Scirroco could give her the appearance the former and a ton of the latter, and he used his Newtype powers to take advantage of her weakness. She made it very clear prior to her betrayal in a talk with Fa that she had no ideological commitment to the AEUG, she was just in it for herself. It made total sense that she betrayed and they spent almost ten episodes developing it.
>citation needed because the series itself never said anything about it and I feeling you are just making it up.

>discussing gundam on Sup Forums

I'm on the sixth episode of Victory Gundam and I don't really understand what's going on. Am I retarded?

/m/ hates everything so we have to discuss it here
Have you seen any other show before?

Where else would one discuss it?

I've been going through Gundam in release order, although I took a long break between finishing all of the Early UC, and then took a break after watching F91. Victory just seems to have even more erratic pacing than the other shows, and the whole "4th episode is the 1st episode" thing was confusing. Does it get better later on?

I love how old Tomino series look. They're poorly animated and have such toyish mecha designs, juxtaposed with the usual child pilot PTSD and grey morality. Zeta is definitely the better looking show but it doesn't have that same charm.

The correct way to watch UC is

Mobile Suit Gundam movie trilogy > A New Zeta: Translation > Char's Counter Attack > F91 > Victory Gundam

Didn't like any of the old Gundams. Votoms was slightly better, but Macross was the shit with its scifi plot and nice mix of realism and cheesiness.

ya go u

The series explained all of that though. You have to pay attention to Zeta when you watch it.

It is hard to track it all down from a 50 episode show but here are some samples.

>Fa asks Reccoa why she betrayed them, and Reccoa wonders if Fa views it that simply. She says that she was never an ideologist and that she was looking for feelings she lost during the war

mahq.net/animation/gundam/zeta/zgep45.htm

> On the Dogosse Giar, Scirocco tells Reccoa she came to him because she was tired and wanted to rest. He says no one in the AEUG understood her and that she had to put up an appearance of a strong woman. Reccoa sees that this is true, and Scirocco holds her.

mahq.net/animation/gundam/zeta/zgep40.htm

> On the Argama, Reccoa reviews with Bright sketches she made of the Jupitris's interior. She looks at one and sees Scirocco, and she suddenly leaves.

mahq.net/animation/gundam/zeta/zgep28.htm

> Reccoa talks about how she joined the guerrillas in the One Year War after being separated from her parents. After the war she joined the military, but that didn't feel right and she joined AEUG. Before Fa leaves, Reccoa tells her not to become like her.

mahq.net/animation/gundam/zeta/zgep34.htm

>Kamille asks Reccoa why she does such dangerous work, and she says it's her personality

>Char visits Reccoa and asks her to help protect the Mega Bazooka Launcher when they go into battle. He asks her why she is throwing away her plants, and she says she wants to throw away everything.

> Yazan launches in a Hambrabi just before Char hits the mobile suit deck again. Char tells Reccoa to leave, and she remembers her encounter with Scirocco on the Jupitris. She turns around and heads for the Dogosse Giar because she feels Scirocco's sign

mahq.net/animation/gundam/zeta/zgep32.htm

Episode 49 is when she reveals the rape to Emma.

The correct way to watch Gundam is to watch Macross instead.

Unfortunately for you, ZZ confirms that gundam is not anime.

Nice write-up! It's pretty impressive how you can recall and find so many specific examples. You should make a blog that analyzes certain aspects of characters.

Explain yourself.

Thanks, I've just watched Zeta TV 5 times(+ small segments) over the last decade is all. There is Anime that I think is ultimately better, but Zeta is a favorite of mine and has been for a long time. I really do think that taking it in slowly and ensuring that one is fully aware of what is going on at all times is required for it - it is not an accessible show at all, you have to pay attention to a whole bunch of different conversations spread out over the series to get what is really going on with a character. You won't just get a complete one shot monologue that explains their whole deal as a pivotal part of an episode like a lot of more conventional anime.

79 animation is completely watchable, you're just a pussy

Have they done an official release of Sawano's track Cage that they played at the statue unveiling?

youtube.com/watch?v=lsDQe92DVRs

>Original series filled with FORCED DRAMA and a car crash of a final third only to be saved by DYRL
>Macross II is a soulless sequel entirely devoid of personality or logic
>Plus starts off good and then shits the bed with a retarded ending
>7 doesn't take itself seriously at all to the point where everything is retarded
>rest of the franchise is idolshit cash grabs
Gundam is superior just based on having more than a single good entry in its entire franchise

Is it okay to skip the first 2 and proceed to Char's counterattack? I hear it has a sweet mecha called Jegan. I'm all about infantry issued stuff

skip Gundam and watch VOTOMS

I am also watching that, left off at ep 15 I think, definitely like it's lack of space magic MC so far.

CCA is unsatisfying in terms of writing/plot/characterization/concluding that series arc, so watching it just for the mecha means you might actually enjoy it.

Zeta is shit. 0079 is vastly superior.

No, 0079 and Zeta are pretty important to CCA. ZZ is skippable IMO, reading a summary is a much better way to spend your time.

No. CCA is like a vodka shot of a final climax of the character arcs of Amuro and Char. If you watch it by itself, it'd feel like a sucker punch that comes out of nowhere and leaves you reeling and confused.

>Implying the tomino trilogy wasn't anything but FORCED DRAMA
Also forgot about robotech

She's not just neurotic. The show emphasizes the fact that no one on the Argama cares about her, except Kamille, who's a needy kid himself. She makes a point that the AEUG just uses her like a disposable human by sending her on suicide missions, but she doesn't mind and is more than willing to take them for the rush. And after Reccoa gets shot she's in the medbay and wondering if anyone will come visit her. Fa surprises her by showing up to check on her but Fa explains she only came because Kamille asked to Reccoa's obvious disappointment. I don't recall if it's before or after she leaves but Reccoa outright says there's nothing for her to return to on the Argama.

Don't go to /m/ you will get eye cancer..

>guy whose sister accuses him of wanting to genocide oldtypes tries to genocide oldtypes
>guy who's accused by both main villains in Zeta of wanting to grasp the world in his hands and is too emotional to let things alone wants to grasp the world in his hands because he's buttmad about his dead mom(figure)
>WHOA WHAT'S GOING ON THIS IS SO UNLIKE CHAR

The animation issues of 0079 are highly exaggerated thanks to retarded memes, the series looks fine.