You know, when you consider that the storylines in wrestling are basically just shonen plotlines...

You know, when you consider that the storylines in wrestling are basically just shonen plotlines, why are there only a couple wrestling anime out there? It seems like the easiest thing to do.

Because Proresu doesn't translate well to anime

Because in Japan big muscled dudes are seen as incredibly gay. Looking at /fit/, I'm not surprised.

a non-kayfabe wrestling sport-manga would totally work and could be the greatest thing ever.

Wrestling is huge in Japan and has been a national treasure since the 50s.

You are a fucking idiot

I don't watch wrestling, mind elaborating on these story arcs?

>Roman above all
>LESNARWINSLOL
>Okada vs Omega endless feud

nope, the only anime tier plot is the "We are destined to do this forever" thing with El Generico/Sami Zayn and Kevin Steen/Owens

That is the most untrue statement i've seen today.

Japan fucking loves wrestling.

Anime does not have audiences who get worked by the good guys like John Cena and Roman Reigns.

depends on the brand and country of said wrestling.

Watch Lucha Underground if you want something with a strong coherent narrative.
NJPW meanwhile is way more "realistic" in representing a combat sport with its stories mostly revolving around (often ancient) rivalries, underdogs trying to get a break or veterans defending their top-spot.

You can't base it all on current stories. I mean Hulk Hogan was the Japanese version of an American.

wanna be the strongest is one of the shittiest animes i've ever seen

great idea, fucking horrible execution

>Because in Japan big muscled dudes are seen as incredibly gay.
You guys say this alot, but it really isn't as true as you guys want it to be.

>strong coherent narrative

Reasling fans are delusional

I didn't say they don't exist, Tiger Mask is also huge. But it feels like it should have more

Because shonen in general try to be edgy, deep and serious, wrestling is silly, so it only fit the anime that embrace said silliness. See

Tiger Mask wasn't silly, it was about a former heel trying to become a hero because he realized his vicious nature was inspiring children to want to be bad themselves.

Too much of a ninche, most people find wrestling dumb, so you will only see a few anime about it, unlike things that reacha more general public like actual sports or actual fighting

It doesn't?

>Too much of a niche
It's more popular in Japan than in the US

Just make a gritty anime about Chris Benoit and I'll be happy.

That would have to mean the wrestling world acknowledges he existed.

He is right in that it is kinda niche in that only the US, Japan, and Mexico care enough about it to have their own products.

Proresu is very methodical, hold based brand of wrestling that would be boring for an anime. Sports entertainment on the other hand, is very shounen-esque in its style of fights and kayfabe and would be better suited for anime.

Name 5 anime about wrestling.

>why are there only a couple wrestling anime out there?
Because no cute girls there dummy

There was that ryona anime

>why are there only a couple wrestling anime out there?
Wrestling isn't as popular in Japan as it used to be.

"A really good wrestling anime where every character is on the powerlevel of a fighting game character but is played completely straight" has been my fucking wet dream since 1998.

this

there's a ton of good doujins around though

Wrestling's drama works because it's real people.
If it's just animated drawings of people, it's removing a LOT of the magic from the spectacle.

>Only 7 results for gachi drunkers on sadpanda

There has to be more, right?

>half of the show is boston crabs

Every other wrestling move is shit in comparison, so I don't see anything wrong with that.

What about Frankensteiners? They're kinda cool moves, aren't they?

>shaprshooters and figure fours
>bearhugs and suplexes
>piledrivers and powerbombs
>crutches and cradles
>the fucking kinniku buster

you take that back

How about that show where girls pushed eachother with their butts? That counts as wrestling, right?

Wrestling is a medium for story telling. There's very few Anime that use mediums as their plot. You won't see very many Anime about stage acting either despite the plot being fairly easy to adapt with a "school drama/acting club" Wrestling tells stories like Anime does so making Anime about Wrestling is like making a TV show about adapting TV shows into video games.