Japanese authors do not care at all about foreign fans...

Japanese authors do not care at all about foreign fans. It's evident they have no respect for you when they sell licenses to absolutely abysmal companies like Yen Press that take years to catch up to fan translations. To them it's not about having their work appreciated by western audiences or even making sustainable profit, but rather just making a quick buck off of petty licensing fees. For this reason you shouldn't feel bad at all about pirating their works, after all if they don't respect you as a consumer you shouldn't feel obligated to buy their product. I'm aware this is an extremely entitled opinion and they have a right to profit from their work, but they're handling it in a way that seems like they couldn't give less of a fuck.

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.novelupdates.com/posts/1932783/
desuarchive.org/a/post/153822234
desuarchive.org/a/post/153139677
desuarchive.org/a/post/153822332
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>he can't read moon

Get better companies then, faggot.

>that take years to catch up to fan translations

Don't know about any of their other titles but Kuroshitsuji comes out digitally in English the same day GFantasy is released. Print is a slow process, and I think Yen Press have to wait for the Japanese tankobons to be released before they're allowed to do their own.

To be honest, the publisher I have the biggest gripe with is Kodansha's own english-translation branch. The print quality on Land of the Lustrous and Princess Jellyfish is shit. Maybe I'm just unlucky but every time I buy one of their books there's an issue with it, whether it's pages not glued in properly and falling out, pages misaligned or in the wrong place or even printer ink running out in one book.

How has no one said Dark Horse? Constant printing errors, inconsistent spines, refusing to reprint Berserk and when they do it's limited, only certain chapters and the volumes look different to every other volume

>Pirating their work is sure going to make these Japanese authors care about the western audience!

Completely true i dont even need to read the whole thing to know that its just a bumch of faggot nerds looking for escapism in a culture that doesnt care about them anime is totally low test for scum

duh

Japanese authors and artists shouldn't give a shit about the west. It would make their work worse

They dont care and they never will dumb ass
Unless we were to LITERALLY THROW MILLIONS of dollars at them

I don't understand why anyone consumers media without a "try before you buy" attitude. Watch the show. Read the book. Listen to the music. If you deem it worthy of your patronage then support it with your money. Anti-piraters seem to operate under this assumption that any pirated media is lost profit when the truth is if people had to pay for that thing they likely would just never even bother.

Okay, I'm just going to post this rant by Ping

forum.novelupdates.com/posts/1932783/

And also point out that it is not physically possible for Yen Press (or any other company that does print) to start release sooner than half a year after announcement (because of distributor requirements) or to release faster than every three or four months once they actually get going (because of the bureaucracy and logistical requirements of typesetting, checking, Japanese confirmation, printing, quality checking, and physically shipping all the books out all over the USA.

Here is what a 2 month schedule would look like:

A normally 4 week translation could possibly be rushed for 2.5 weeks. 2 weeks maybe if the TL is both available (they have no other work, either from YP or from other employers) and willing.

Of course this is *much* more expensive. Here we already have the first obstacle to a 2 month schedule. Are the increase in sales going to cover the increased costs, ESPECIALLY increased costs within a small time frame? Chances are no. Aiming for impulse buyers who's interest wanes very quickly isn't a stable strategy in a market as small as the EN LN market currently is.

But let's ignore that. Let's say that magically we can assure we'll get enough sales to cover the increased translation costs.

TL manuscript comes in after 2 weeks. It will absolutely have way more errors than normal. The editor will have to turn it around in a few days at most. They won't be able to work on *anything* else during this time frame.

This means that if they have other projects, those projects are now going to get delayed. And when you rush things, errors are going to slip through. But at least you get overtime! Oh, but overtime is more costs.

Burger pls.
This is why people hate you.

Then edited manuscript is copyedited and proofed. Meanwhile design is laying it out and production is figuring out the physical properties of the book. They have a week at most to do this. If they have other projects, guess what those projects are getting delayed because of the 2 month schedule.

Oh, but since you're asking everyone to put in overtime to make sure, even with all the inevitable errors that it ships with as few errors as possible, so wooo costs!

By the time first pass comes in, it's already been 4 weeks. Only 4 weeks left. Now the staff have to check everything while sending it for approvals to the JP pub/author. They better look close because with a 2 month release schedule, they'll only get the one chance.
And of course, inevitably, things are going to slip through because it's a rush. They get proofs from printers and you PRAY that Japan gives you the green light on the *very first round*.

This means they love *literally everything* and found nothing wrong that they want you to change. Guess how often that happens. Oh, and hurrying the proofs to at least get the one pass obviously costs rush fees.

But let's say, yes Japan loves everything and nothing is wrong. 3 weeks left. Normally the books should ALREADY be at the warehouses by now. Assets are prepped for printing and sent to the printer. Printer does final checks and sends back samples. But it's basically just for giggles at this point because it's literally too late to send any changes at this point.

Normally, you would use these samples as a guide to catch printing errors you see, misaligned assets, missing images, etc (this happens often and is an issue on the printer side that needs to be corrected by the publisher but since it's a spot check, you could theoretically get all clean ones while all the print error books were right below the ones picked to send as samples). Rush fees, of course.

Final printing done. 1.5 weeks left. If you're lucky. Publishers generally don't own printers. Printers have hundreds if not thousands of clients and a small LN publisher is far from their most important customer. If a bigger client needs to bump you so they can print 15 million fried chicken menus, guess who's taking the bump. Maybe you can ensure that you won't get bumped. Oh, but that costs money.

So AGAIN you pray nothing happens because with a 2 month release schedule, if everything isn't literally perfect, you're boned. By the by, at 1.5 weeks, the books should already be IN STORES awaiting the on sale date.

Now they ship to warehouses. You pray nothing goes wrong. You do the sun dance because you sure as hell don't want rain, sleet, snow, or houses from Kansas falling down because those will undoubtedly crush your last hopes of releasing on time for a 2 month schedule. Oh, rush fees.

5 days left, you're books are all hopefully at the warehouse. What, you thought the warehouses were at the printers? Hahaha. If only life were that convenient. Now you need to ship the books *everywhere*. But everywhere, with this time frame, can only include continental US, Canada, and Mexico. If even that. Oh well, with 2 month release schedule who has time to worry about anyone else anyway?

We now need to get everything from the warehouses to the retailers in at the latest, 4 days. Because the stores aren't going to sell your books out the back of a delivery truck like they're fresh strawberries. Oh, to ensure a 4 day delivery shipment of so much freight it's going to cost more? Well, dear. If we must.

And finally, release day! Woo the hell is over. All those 60~70 hour work weeks were worth it! And of course our customers increased ten fold, no TWENTY-fold because we were 2 months faster to try to catch up to the fan translation (which is actually still going as a "fanfic" by the way)! And it covers ALL the costs yay!

Now we can finally rest. Oh, what's that? This is our life now? Guess what, we all quit. Good luck keeping that 2 month release schedule long enough to not go bankrupt.

In short: 2 months per volume is unsustainable. 1 month per volume is physically impossible. It literally can't be done unless conditions on the ground are completely different.

Who cares about physical books if it's not some deluxe edition for collecting. It's been clear for years that only an online service will have acceptable speed.

Of course, they could do like J-Novel Club and do digital releases every 6-10 weeks with a print version many months later for purists. Profit margins on digital books are greater and they might even get more double dippers that way. They won't, though, because they're stuck in the past.

I just want this. Is it so much to ask for?

What usually bothers me is how awful the translations are. I understand that a lot of Japanese authors have mediocre prose and that translation makes it even worse, but Yen Press has an end result that feels more like a machine translation quickly smoothed over by a guy in the back room.

I don't know if youve tried to read the fan translation of Dungeon Meshi but the Yen press translation is at least full sentences that have subjects nouns and verbs.

>For this reason you shouldn't feel bad at all about pirating their works
Stop it.
If you want to pirate their work, I don't give two shits, but stop pretending you have some moral right to do it. You're just a retard that's rationalizing not giving money to artists for their work.

>this is an extremely entitled opinion
Indeed it is.

>they're handling it in a way that seems like they couldn't give less of a fuck.
US print industry doesn't make it much easier. The reason there's more than half a year delay between any license and the first volume's release is because books need to be scheduled months in advanced when you have such a large company. You should already know this, you're just being a cunt about it.

This would be ideal, but yes, these companies are effectively stuck in the past, most of it probably being due to already established bureaucracy that isn't really easy to untangle.

as someone who is no longer a neet i can say companies will always care when money is to be made, no matter how far away they are

oh and
>ill keep buying yen press because fuck you

>6-10 weeks
j06 could get it done in 3.
Besides JNovel's shit is all niche isekai crap from smaller and less well established publishers who have less to lose on taking a risk; YP are a subsidiary of Kadokawa who are basically the Walt Disney Company of otaku shit in terms of reach and scope, for them they can afford to stick with tried and tested business models because they are already making mad cash.

Books aren't as popular in the western market as they are in Japanese market, those nips consume books like we do booze. If they could make more money out of it, (more demand in the west) then the actual industry would be more developed.
Don't know about this user, spice and wolf translation felt pretty good

Yen Press does a good job with their licenses though, are they the best? no but no manga/LN translators are. They've been getting better over the years and they pick up titles nobody else would, if it isn't for them we'd only have generic battle shonen being licensd.

They don't wait 3 months between releases because they feel like it, they do it because it takes time to print books. Don't be retarded

Most YP translation aren't actually legitimately poor besides NGNL, Danmachi, or Log Horizon. The key here is that YP has many translators and some are more skilled than others.

So why does NGNL keep getting delayed, why is Oregairu being released an average of 6 months apart, and why were there 6 months between releases of Mahoiku?

>if it isn't for them we'd only have generic battle shonen being licensd
Wouldn't this be ideal though? Less DMCAs, higher quality translations, and faster releases. It's better for everyone unless you're one of those "support the anime industry" types that's constantly self-fellating over giving the original creators a few cents per purchase.

Why read the shitty English version when you can read the folded 10000 times version.

>tfw Seven Seas is going to become like Yen Piss soon
These guys are purchasing a fuckton of manga licenses like if they were a bunch of small price stocks.
Dunno what they're thinking but I guess I would understand where some fags want to buy the licenses and never do quality translation.

Competition going really bad in the USA desu

But user moon classes are too expensive

>higher quality translations, and faster releases.
js06 and Skythewood are not representative of the fan translation scene. Quality translations and speedy reliable releases are the exception, no the rule. The graveyard of masses of dead and abandoned fragmentary translations, Chinese ESL and MTL on Baka-Tsuki, and the slow as molasses Nanodesu releases are full testament to this. Just like Yen Press, fan translations for the most part only ever really attract decent talent and hard effort for shit that has anime and large fanbases like for example Konosuba, Overlord, Sword Art Online, Spice and Wolf, Haruhi etc.

And one ought to note that in the majority of cases even after licensing by their very nature these translations had the popularity needed to drive a continued translation effort away from Baka-Tsuki nevertheless i.e. the DMCA didn't even kill them. That is, for the actually popular shit the narrative of "DMCA killed the fan base" is usually a myth

What this user said But certain community colleges in CA have Japanese classes that are decent enough to read simple manga and for those anons that don't have CC with Japanese classes, they must go to Uni and might as well major in it.

js06 is in a class of his own, above ideal literal god class. Does Sky translate all of his series?

>moon classes
>classes
You genuinely can't learn Japanese.

Sky isn't even that good, he's a Singaporean chink who translates from Taiwanese raws and has put series on hiatus because there weren't enough donations or because there were no chink raws.

>I try to stick to the official Chinese version, but there is still a chance that I missed some stuff because I am not using the source material. Like some proz amateur translator said, translating from a translation is always wrong. Always.

>Which brings me to this point. (pic related)

>Desperate people calls for desperate measures, so if you are willing to make do with me, I'm cool with it. If not, I guess you can pretend I don't exist and do something else. Please, don't come here if it upsets you. I don't want to make you sad, there are already plenty of sad things in this world .

He also mocks people who think his translation is better than YP.

desuarchive.org/a/post/153822234
>The entire fan translation was released in one shot, without any editing to speak of.
>Even if it was edited, it will still suck really hard.
>I'm surprised that people can stand it.

desuarchive.org/a/post/153139677
>Protip: translation from Yen Press is always better than mine.
>I am only confident that my translation is better than MTL.

desuarchive.org/a/post/153822332
>There was never any doubt that the official release is better.

Nigel was the translator of Overlord, Sky only helped out some.

>or to release faster than every three or four months once they actually get going
But Vertical has released Bake 1/2/3, Nise 1/2, and Kizu Black all within a year.

Because they have two translators to work on two volumes simultaneously instead of one after the other, and it really shows because Ko Ransom's work is of far higher quality than the dangnabbit guy.

Okayado cares about his fans. ALL of them. He even answers tweets and retweets.

Japanese authors actually do care. They come over here and do autograph signings and plug their manga all the time. Its the publishers that own the rights to their works that don't care. And there's many reasons for this. Mostly they don't want to put forward the billions of dollars it would take to establish a market outside Japan. Especially when the fanbase is doing it for them, for free.

>Mostly they don't want to put forward the billions of dollars it would take to establish a market outside Japan.
What do you call Kadokawa's acquisition of Yen Press then?

Letting a foreign company establish a market, then buying it. That's not a Japanese publisher putting forward the effort. And if history is any indication, it probably will lead to the company dying. Like the Geneon experiment did.

I know Nigel was responsible for Overlord, I meant his other series since I was going to point out how isekai ryouridou had a lot of errors even in the first chapter release.

He usually has translator credits listed on each project page

I bought Girls Last Tour vol. 1-3 just 20 mins ago.

Fuck you I want to encourage them to care about the western audience. They have no reason to dump money into western publishing unless they see money to be made. Stop justifying shit behavior and pay for the things you like.

>moon classes
If someone asked the best way to make sure they never learn Japanese I would tell them to take college courses. I swear there is an correlation to absolutely abysmal Japanese speakers that took college coursed over those that were self-taught/learned in Japan.

Isekai Ryorido was Sky. I think Alderamin was translated from Korean by Rockzenor and Yojo Senki was by a group of translators of which Sky was only one. Can't see how anyone could think Sky's version is better though.

A lot of the authors we (J-Novel Club) publish have just gotten published in Japan for the first time themselves, and their general state of mind is... "I-I-I-I can't believe I'm being published in English!!! W-W-What do I do?! OMG" and then the Japanese publisher tells them "Just calm down we'll handle everything, just concentrate on hitting your deadlines."...

Basically, the more senior and experienced the author is the more they directly have input to the process. But it's not that author's don't care, it's just that they respect the Japanese way of doing business where the author leaves that kind of responsibility to their editor/editorial department/publisher. An author going out of their way to work around the system is just as bad as a publisher like us going around the Japanese publishers straight to the author.

If you hate this system (you know, the one that's produced 99.9% of all anime/manga/LN), feel free to go read web novels that have never been published in print and probably never will be (but ask the author's permission before translating them).

>but ask the author's permission before translating them
Fuck that.

What if the author gives permission to some random MTL dudes to translate his web novel for free and then later his web novel gets a publishing deal in Japan? Do random MTL dudes now hold the international English-language distribution rights hostage?

Well to be more specific, ask their permission before translating and _distributing_ your translation.

There are plenty of web novel authors that have no ambitions of ever actually becoming professional, and I'm sure they'd be fine with fans translating their stuff. Maybe even a large percent. How many people even bother to ask?

Who cares when in the current year you can literally use amazon JP and buy almost any original manga/anime directly.

Theoretically, yes. Which is why any author that agrees to something like that without a contract is a fool. But in such a case it's their fault, not the fan translators.
Personally I wouldn't take advantage of authors that way... but to each his own.

>Which is why any author that agrees to something like that without a contract is a fool.
But if they do it without a contract then they can pretend it never happened, right? Random MTL patreon dudes are hardly going to hire lawyers to argue that any legally binding agreement was made.

>Personally I wouldn't take advantage of authors that way
still encouraging people to ask permission (i.e. take advantage) though.

Don't forget renumbering chapters in each fucking volume and not even translating sound effects.

Man, Americans and their first world problems. Here in Mexico we only have two manga companies and one barely releases shit. though Panini does release alot of shit like 35 volumes each month

I really hate these kikes. They DMCA fan translations so they can shill their own.

Which company fills up the Oxxo stores with Mangas?

thanks for taking advantage of the saki subs that way faggot

Panini

Can you please complain about me not translating siskan instead? I hear that's the new meta.

Evageeks dumbass asked for permission to fan translate Evangelion Anima and was told "no". Better for the fans for it to be taken down in response to a cease and desist than to have been told they're not allowed to do it from the start.

Why should the authors and the controllers of series even care about some shitty little fan translations into english?

Would be neat if syosetsu or another novel site had like, a mark or something the authors could check on their works' profiles that says "OK to translate", then you could just browse and choose one. But that's not really how Japanese copyright law is designed to work.

worst publisher > any scangroup

this tbqh
どうせお前もできないだろww

Because although your micro action is insignificant, 100s or 1000s of the same kings of groups doing the same thing becomes significant.
They'll get aggregated and monetized by 3rd party profiteers, and change consumer behavior in a macro way such that profitable legal models are that much harder to make successful.

One cow farting isn't a problem. It's that we all eat too much beef.

So a bit of a tangent here but since you have two series and a oneshot ending seen is there anything in line to replace them soon? If so any new publishers lined up?

Yes and yes and working on it.

I want free english translations by fans. If I want to support the work I'll buy from japan.

No you won't.

>Japanese authors do not care at all about foreign fans.
They do.
>It's evident they have no respect for you when they sell licenses to absolutely abysmal companies like Yen Press that take years to catch up to fan translations.
They have to:
1. They sell marketing rights to Japanese publishing company.
2. That publishing company sells it to an "intermediary publishing company", a company that has both the legal right to sell overseas, as well as contacts in [insert country here] to sell it to.
3. Intermediary company sells work as an "offering" to local company in [insert country here]
4. local company tallies up cost of publishing, selling, and promoting
5. adjusts pricing to reflect costs + reimbursement back down the chain to the author
6. positions "offering" to company like Yen Press
7. Yen Press agrees to take on the work
8. books/ anime/ etc are sold

Fan translations are
get raws
translate
distribute free

>To them it's not about having their work appreciated by western audiences or even making sustainable profit, but rather just making a quick buck off of petty licensing fees.
You're synonymizing "author" with "publishing company". And a publisher doesn't care about authors, it doesn't care about fans, it cares about remaining salient.
The author wants you to read their works. They want to have their works read and spread everywhere.
Buy directly from the author.
>they're handling it in a way that seems like they couldn't give less of a fuck.
They're following the laws and trade deals and agreements of both countries and the relevant companies in-between.

The fact that you're unwilling or unable to understand how the real world works is viscerally unpleasant.

But do you not think Arifureta and Genjitsushugisha would not be such a cash cow for you if it wasn't for the alteration to consumer behavior created by mass aggregation of machine translations?

Heck, Isekai Maou Dorei Majutsu is currently sitting at the top of the salesranks for your books on Amazon, a series with no anime nor a manga released officially in English nor any other pre-existing brand association, nothing to sell it other than that the cover has great stonking elf tits on it and that there was a farily serviceable donation-funded fan translation previously. By all accounts series like Sword Art Online and Haruhi sold quite well for Yen Press fan translations notwithstanding. Can they really have such a negative effect on the market?

Nah, publishers at their worst are even less professional than some scanlators.

>A lot of the authors we (J-Novel Club) publish
The fuck is J-Novel?

How does that chain of rights work when the Japanese publisher's parent company actually owns the Western publisher (like in the case of Kadokawa and Yen Press)?

The endpoint of "has streaming gone too far?"

>Japanese authors do not care at all about foreign fans

Yes and No. They think foreign fans are too "foreign" for understand wordplay, japanese humor and other in his/her works. But the low birthrate is shrinking the young japanese fans every year, japanese authors cant ignore foreign fans anymore.

>what is Crunchyroll
Someone is gonna buy off kissmanga one of these days too.

>Japanese authors do not care at all about foreign fans
I'm sure they do, but the foreign fans they care about are the Chinese and Koreans who combined are so weeaboo as to absolutely dwarf the filthy neckbeard West in market size.

>They're following the laws and trade deals and agreements of both countries and the relevant companies in-between.
>
>The fact that you're unwilling or unable to understand how the real world works is viscerally unpleasant.
There's a simple thing to note here that will prohibit people's understanding beyond belief until you correct the record once.
Once the author has handed in the manuscript to the publisher, it's no longer a book.
It's an asset for the publisher. Not a book. It has no literary quality. It's just copyright that can be worked with.
Similar thing with a small farmer and his cattle. Once they're sold for distribution, they're just assets.

I'm honestly surprised this hasn't happened yet. Some big publisher buying it and making their streams exclusive to it.

I'd love a Netflix -> Crunchyroll buyout.
The entire season goes up at once. At the end of it. No more seasonal shows.

I'm not sure how Crunchyroll is comparable, no Japanese publishers bought them, the guys who ran it just somehow used their pirate-fuelled membership numbers to bluff their way into getting streaming rights for Naruto, and co-opted like half the fansub scene into MX Media while pretending that they were totally not fansubbers.

Name a publication which has a better track record than YP regarding Japanese licensing.

Oh, no. We can go much, much farther.

The Japanese are xenophobic. They will never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever care about gaijin.

>They think foreign fans are too "foreign" for understand wordplay, japanese humor and other in his/her works.
I've spoken with a few japanese authors, from LN to doujinshi, and that's never been expressed at all. They just want their stuff read and enjoyed. Some of them get a little weird when their foreign fans meet them- I hear Kaoru Mori had a little meltdown when a canadian fan approached her at a book signing- but by and large, they're super excited to hear that you enjoyed their work, regardless where you're from.

I can't be mad at YP since they release Nozaki-Kun

Sure, they had significant positive affects on those 2 works. It's quite possible to have fan translation activity help rather than hurt on an individual work basis. And J-Novel Club is designed to profit from the user behavior that exists in reality... For LNs there was still a good opportunity due to the horrid quality of the majority of fan translation.
But the overall market, like manga?
Well I look at the failure of anyone to establish a successful online english manga service, despite there being so many readers.

You and I both know that even if somehow any official licensing company was able to do speedy translations that maintain good quality, you would still find some other reason to bitch about not supporting it and continuing to pirate. I'm not judging you for pirating, but don't try to justify it as some sort of moral crusade of sticking it to the man for not respecting you.

Of course I won't. Have you seen those prices?

So the fact that all your bestsellers are made up of fully fan translated narou garbage with no anime (Arifureta, Genjitsu, and Slavemagic) and not dead fan translation True Literature with anime (Clockwork Planet, Outbreak Company, and Grimgar) - in your opinion, is the fan translation primarily a symptom of the market or a driver of the market?

*fan translation of so much narou-type isekai crap

>You and I both know that even if somehow any official licensing company was able to do speedy translations that maintain good quality, you would still find some other reason to bitch about not supporting it and continuing to pirate.

Why do retard corporate bootlickers make assumptions like this? You can't even post here without "pirating", unless you shield your eyes like a little bitch every time a scanlated page pops up. You're a fucking retard, don't post again.

agorism will win

Just learn moonrunes, it is not as hard as you think and you would cut the middle man. Trust me, it is the best solution.

Even though this started as a thread shitting on YP, since J-novel's been mentioned I want to ask how their translation of Second Life is. Planning on buying the volume and hope its pretty good since the WN fan translation was.

serious question here, why not buy the script of the Isekai Maou Dorei Majutsu fan translation and clean it up for speedy release? The fan translation quality seems to be quite robust in its case, as the translator is actually fluent in Japanese and not a MTLer or a SEAmonkey, and the translator gets paid a fair commission for his script instead of whatever his patreon contributors were happy to provide.

Your premise is not that accurate. Grimgar is top-tier, and so is smartphone (not fully fan translated).
The fan translation is a driver of one segment of the market, but the market is much more diverse than just "online web novel fan translation readers". You could say they were a built in core audience, but they are hardly the entire audience. Books like Bluesteel and Paladin sell well, despite no fan translation to speak of. Even Mixed Bathing sells very well.
So, people buy and read more than what they've already read as a fan translation.
It's kind of like free advertising, or more like a head start for a series if there is a significant fanbase already.
On the other hand it seems to have a negative affect in the long term... It's tricky.

I read it, it's not up to our standards. Apologies to Cyborg, but he's not up to the bar I set.