You have 10 minutes to show me an anime girl who has depth to her character...

You have 10 minutes to show me an anime girl who has depth to her character, a compelling background and interesting motive and her personality can not be 1 dimensional. She also can't be in love with the MC.

You made this too easy. Like half of the anime girls apply.

Most of the girls from Ballroom if you're looking for something more recent.

Asuka

Thinly veiled rec thread

There is no veil, but just once I want to help user

faye valentine

let me guess, you're some kind of "feminist" criticizing how sexist anime is?
if you actually watched anime you wouldn't have made this thread, piss off

>She also can't be in love with the MC.
What would that matter? Love interests are pretty much always lacking any of the things you mentioned anyway.

Too easy.

The best "female obsessed with the MC" is probably Mikasa because her obsession is logical as in she's got a whole plethora of mental problems and is written to look insane

/thread

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>(You)

>SAC Mokoto
No

feye was in love with mc by the end of it. he was just in love with someone else

This is specially easy when the girl is the MC (provided it's not a CGDCT). , and are all good examples.

Why is it always shonenshitters who have this complex about female characters?

Because of the "quality" of girls in most shounen shit.

Came to post this

Riko from MiA also applies

Perhaps they should move on from series for little boys who only really care about seeing characters hit things.

why isn't she wearing armor though

yes

Nico Robin

/thread

>not in love with the MC
Nice try

In love =! obsessed

I also don't see why a female character loving the MC would detract from her quality

How bout that 1 lady in full metal alchemist who lost her uterus or whatever, does she miss any of the criteria?

What exactly counts as a "compelling background" and "interesting motive"? Isn't that all purely subjective?

You forgot the
>can't be 1 dimensional personality
Sango is just a generic tsundere all the way through with nothing else than her giant boomerang.

compelling back is very subjective motive not so much.

Lets say I get mami, mami actually fits all these categories.
Her compelling background is she was about to die
Her interesting motive is if she stops doing the dangerous thing that can kill her she will die anyways/turn into a witch
Her personality isn't one dimensional and is proven she uses a face of happiness when in reality she is the most scared and afraid to die.
She isn't in love with the MC
So mami fits everything

But you could also have a character who has a bad background but an interesting motive and thus can be made more interesting by it. Like say the girl who lept through time. Literally just a normal girl who one days gains time travel powers and realizing its limited and the mistakes she has made. I personally love it when people randomly gain powers and then adapt and have to contemplate how to use them and adapt, which often has interesting motive like they saw someone die and now want to save people cause of it and overcome their fears but their background is yeah this shit happened yo.
Interesting motive unlike compelling background is needed since "I'm evil just because I'm evil" is boring and doesn't work.

on that same note last part of the "rant" I guess
It's probably impossible to have a good background and bad motive. The reverse can happen but not in this order. Since a good background is likely the cause of the motive

Would needing to earn remuneration for living expenses be an interesting motive?

You. I like you.

Depends the situation.
Someone lets just say, sucks dick for money. This character can be written well and make you sympathize with them or terrible to make you say they are just a filthy whore.

Example they suck dick cause they got fired from their job or husband died and have to take care of kids and are forced into this lifestyle so they can live.
Or I suck dick cause I just want easy money and I'm lazy, need that gucci purse

to be fair who wasn't in love with spike?

Battle shonenfags chomp down Dragon Ball clones that all revolve around fighting, where strength and camaraderie are most important, and there's little to no romance. They then project their insular views onto other series, so things like a girl loving the MC is "obsession" to people unused to such affections actually mattering because their MCs are single-minded and lack libidos.

Basically, the reasoning is love interests are 'bad' because love is insignificant and therefore the characters are. They should try reading even fighting series like Sengoku Youko where love is significant.

No, she is an highschool girl who lives alone because her parents went missing in an accident when she was young.
I realize this motive was given to her for the anime, she didn't gave any in the LN, I used to hate the director for giving this motive to her but maybe it added depth to her character?

The former isn't necessarily well written and the latter isn't necessarily poorly written

She is in manga, and her final arc is easily the best arc in the whole story, but anime never got to it so she's pretty one-dimensional in it.

>girl

>struggling in life
>literally no other options
>risk being homeless/kids suffering cause of it
>forced to do something against your own morales cause its the only way to make things
I'm writing in all of a few minutes if not less give me a break. And same for the opposite yes there is 1 and I think 1 situation where you can make a character who sucks dick for money for fashion isn't bad. I am stealing this example from a manga I read and can't quite remember it at the moment but the girl in question would date older men so she could have money for fashion. She was doing so, so that she'd be up with all the other cool girls and they wouldn't treat her as an outcast so she resorted to doing something she didn't want to, so she could keep her friends.

You can always have extreme examples but with just the rough template you can tell which one is likely to always be good and which one is likely to always be bad.

>girl

You would actually know a few if you didn't watch only harem and shonenshit. Though there are a few, even in shonenshit.

Would you consider this well written? I want to hear your opinion.

what's well written about this fat fuck?
only her backstory was mildly entertaining.

Well anytime it's a persons only option it's likely a good story. She has to work to try and keep up her lifestyle or alternatively could bounce around with the government. So she takes this choice instead. Though it's kind of empty if they don't go too into detail, did her parents leave her no will money at all? Why isn't her other family members taking care of her? You need to explain it in a bit more detail to make it a good motive.

So it adds depth it's not much due to the lack of information.

Funny thing is, I sincerely believe none of them loved him.Misato was a fucked up adult who had adult partners, Asuka was insane, and Rei got to be the closest in love, until she died before actually doing anything.Then her clone was like reboot to an earlier state or something.

Evangelion was kind of empty in terms of filial or amourous love for old Shinji.

So, to answer the OP's question- Misato.

That wasn't the point, well written is subjective anyways. She still fits to a t all of OP's requirements.

Rukia, fuck off this thread is subjective anyway (within reason)

Hell, almost every female in One Piece counts, except for Hancock.

The rest of her family isn't ever mentioned unfortunately. Just that she was separated from her sister who was raised in England while she remained in Japan. Thanks for giving your opinion.

Some parts of "good" character writing are subjective, while others are not

For example, a backstory that is interesting to some people will be boring to others. Backstory is one of those subjective things

Other aspects like character depth is not subjective. A character whose sole trait is that they like a certain kind of food is objectively a one-dimensional character

>Rukia
>not 1 dimensional
her entire personality can be summed up as being a massive cunt for no reason.
You could argue maybe it's a result of her being a cuck.

>an anime girl who has depth to her character, a compelling background and interesting motive and her personality can not be 1 dimensional.
Easy.

>She also can't be in love with the MC.
Fuck off. That has no bearing on whether a character is good or not.

and she has to survive at the end of the anime.

Though that's irrelevant as well and it wasn't part of the OP, she does that too.

>isn't in love with the MC
Her main character arc is related to her conflicted feelings for Jotaro, that's kind of a disqualifying factor.

>conflicted feelings for Jotaro
Which are not romantic in nature. She is also the main protagonist of SO, not Jotaro.

So no, try again.

It's relevant to how much screen time she gets and how much effort will be out in the character overall.

Ed not so much.

>muh bechdel test

Damn, she's perfect.

Nobody mentioned whatever that is except for you.

Even if the motive is gay as fuck, the criteria are nice things to have in a character.

Do you even know what Bechdel test is?

That's not a real issue outside series where love interests are merely for matchmaking purposes. Beyond those, love interests, especially those who are the heroines of their story, tend to get a tremendous amounts of focus for characterization because they have much relevance.

You make it sound like this is difficult.

>A character whose sole trait is that they like a certain kind of food is objectively a one-dimensional character

but big mom has other traits and likes things apart from food, like collecting rare species, arranging political marriages, working towards an utopia land where all races live toghether, funding scientific projects of giantification thats part of her dreams which connects with her backstory, the soul tax she impose to the citizens, her parties where she gathers the underworld brokers, her love for treasure, her plans for reading poneglyphs because she also wants to be pirate king, her hate for the giants etc

The criteria was that the character doesn't love anyone. If that's a nice thing I got nothing else to say, to anyone.

>the low hanging fruit
That's obviously driven by the agenda of the test. Though given how contrived and ham-fisted most romances are portrayed, I could take it or leave it.

Well it's usually written by a cake or an autist so what can you expect?

That's not the Bechdel test you moron.