GOOD writing in anime

What are some examples of strong/solid writing in anime ? While Uchouten Kazoku is well-written for the most part, episode 6 of S1 was something truly impressive, at least by anime's standards.

How is this /wsr/ you retard ? Fuck off.
>muh thin-veiled rec thread boogeyman
>>>/kys/

necrobump

Kemono Friends

Elfen Lied

Hunter X Hunter's Chimera Ant arc felt like one long work of literature, like a 19th century baroque novel or a Shakespearean tragedy. It's rife with symbolism, irony, themes, and felt appropriately mature and tonally rich. Some of the passages spoken by the narrator were so beautiful and memorable (e.g. the humans in the sky line), and the narration served to create the feeling that I was reading some intricate tapestry of prose. I loved how tragic and anticlimactic the death of Meruem was, because it was richly meaningful in tandem with the themes presented by the arc; and it's because of this that I speak of him in the same way I do as Macbeth, or Oedipus, or John Milton's Lucifer. Some scenes, like the match-cut of the boots stomping on the insects between the Rose bomb used on human cities spoke to me on a visceral level.

Revolutionary Girl Utena will never be topped

Good writing and good visuals.

>dude it's our fate to be eaten lmao
I liked the show (mainly for the visuals) but I never understood this from a narrative point of view.

It's not even thinly-veiled. You're literally asking for anime. Don't be a biggot and lurk more.

Not to defend OP too much, but how else is he going to discuss "good writing" in anime?

This thread is not so much different from "ITT: That moment that made you cry" that you always see around.

>This thread is not so much different from "ITT: That moment that made you cry" that you always see around.
Those kinds of threads usually have people posting an image. People who've seen it recognize the scene and the anime and people who haven't seen it won't know the name of the anime. Meanwhile, this is just a recommendation thread

>b-but everything is wsr!
No wonder the quality of discussion around this board went to shit with butthurt faggots screaming about boogeymen at every threads that actually want to discuss about anime.

Feel free to go back to your DBSpics and "O MY SHITTY MEME" threads though.

>being this insecure about newfags finding out about muh favorite animemes
holy autism batman

uchouten was a blessing

It's about accepting the order of the world and your place in it. Tanuki may behave like human but they're still animal that can be eaten. It's a very japanese view of the world, and while I don't share all of this implication I think there's a point in accepting things that are beyond our power to change.
It may be strange but the tanukis never act totally like humans, they mimic what they do.

>what are some anime with (blank). I just watched (blank) and thought it was (blank).
It's pretty much falls into the exact request thread format that is discouraged. You're not creating a discussion thread whenever you ask somebody to just reply with a list of anime. Just read the rules or get more familiar with the board. Otherwise people will ask you to leave.
is sometimes more of a helpful gesture than a slap in the face.

Tanukis understand that they're the lesser group compared to humans and especially tengu. They live at the bottom of the food chain and Uchouten Kazoku is about accepting your place within the world you live in. Although despite that, the majority of tanukis still fear and try to escape that reality, hence why only the wisest, like the four brothers' father, get to "go out" free of any regrets and peace of mind.

The only thing that isnt supposed to be on /wsr/ at this point is people argue their favourite waifus and DBS generals. Guess we can fill all 120 slots with those, right?

I think you guys are forgetting that Sup Forums is not a place to discuss anime, it's a place for 13 year olds to share fan art of feet.

Are you actually unable to think of an OP that does not ask to be sponfed some anime titles unless it's fetishizing some girl instead?
Sup Forums has lots of shitty template OPs, but you are pathetic.

>cocksucking internet janitors by-the-book raging manchild calling anyone pathetic for not formulating a thread's title exactly like his autismo needs ask to

My fucking sides.

stop discussing anime & manga on the anime & manga board

This

everything i like = good writing
everything you like = bad writing

simple enough reddit friend?

I wish this website didn't get so popular.

/thread

Most of the anime I like have shit writing tho

I'm just interested in pretty visuals and fanservice + lewd girls

Some people will disagree but fuck you I liked it.

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
Ginga Testudou 999
most World Masterpiece Theater shows
Serial Experiments Lain
Wings of Honneamaise
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Patlabor (not the show)
Uchuu Senkan Yamato (not the new series)
Ginga Testudou no Yoru
any of Isao Takahata's films (including pre-Ghibli)
3gatsu no Lion
Mawaru Penguindrum
Utena
Space Runaway Ideon

I could go on forever really. I'd add a lot of comedies too, since I think the writing in those is often underappreciated, but that doesn't seem to be what this thread is about.

I liked that episode where they spoke in English for like 10 minutes without Japanese subtitles. It was a funny "fuck you" to the Japanese audience.

>Wings of Honneamise
>good writing
Do I need to remind you about
>dude rape lmao
I will never get why people praise this garbage film.

That scene was enough to kill the movie for me. Random as fuck.

That scene could've been handled better, yeah. I still think it was a really well written film though. Nothing's perfect.

>I'm a filthy crossboarder who doesn't watch much anime and looks down on the medium as a whole despite my limited experience with it
>Can you rec me some mature anime for mature people like myself?
No.

>Uchuu Senkan Yamato (not the new series)
almost fell off my chair reading this. there cant possibly be someone who unironically believes that the original usy is well written, especially when compared to the modern reinterpretation. no one can be that fucking retarded. i refuse to accept this
>Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
can only come from someone who ignores the ovas details in favor of its scale. as soon as you pay a bit more attention to the details, the obvious flaws and issue become very apparent, unless of course you just choose to ignore them and say "haha lol i dont care :DDD", but it should be impossible for any reasonably intelligent human being to unironically defend the phezan arc, the earth church, the two dimensional space battles even though having the cast play three dimensional chess, the absolutely atrocious battle direction, the mary sue leads, the lack of battle site diversity and so many other aspects.
>most World Masterpiece Theater shows
hah. cant believe i fell for this

>I don't understand what good writing means so I'll just go ahead and call this guy a filthy crossboarder since I can't actually contribute anything relating to the topic.
GTFO

>I'm a literal retard who can't spend 10 minutes lurking and then actually watch some anime so I'l pretend that all anime has shit writing except for the 4 bad melodramatic shows I watched this year
Dumb child.

I don't think it's themes are particularly good, but the locked room mystery is tight as fuck. I'm a big fan of the genre, and I hadn't seen that particular twist before.

Madoka.

>there cant possibly be someone who unironically believes that the original usy is well written
I do.
>earth church
Literally Al Qaeda, part of what makes the show so brilliant is that both powers were destabilized by radical extremists rather than the opposing military.
>2d space battles
Naval aesthetics are a staple in sci-fi, and objects in space still meet on a plane. The dogfight scenes made good use of the 3d space. Most of the battles were based on actual battles from naval and military history.
>lack of battle site diversity
It's in space.
>Mary Sue leads
Nope, they were both flawed characters.
>WMT
You didn't really offer a criticism here, so I guess I won't offer a defense.

You what? OP never said that writing in anime is shit and I certainly never did either. You're the only one who brought that up after getting butthurt for not understanding the OP.

>You what? OP never said that writing in anime is shit and I certainly never did either.
Spend more than 10 minutes here and you'll learn to read crossboarders like a book.

He strongly implied it. He's also right, most anime is adapting source material written for children and/or pleb adults.

Quit typing like a retard, and don't use emoticons on Sup Forums, underage faggot.

Just fuck off then if anime is so terrible.

90/10 rule applies to everything user. Every medium is mostly shit.

I don't really get why this makes you so mad. How many shows do you watch each season? Even supposing the ratio isn't exactly 90/10, you'd have to think something like 15 good shows come out every season to believe that most anime is good.

I thought the dialogue in particular was great but the locked room mystery was a bit of a let down especially since they set it up to be this complex ass case with the smartest woman in the world

>I do.
my condolences
>Most of the battles were based on actual battles from naval and military history.
justifying garbage does not mean that it stops being garbage
>It's in space.
guess space lacks any form of objects, like asteroid belts, smaller planets and moons, high gravitational pulling force from bigger planets etc. that could be exploited in battle. but hey, that would require some actual tactics, something that lotgh usually lacks. half circles everybody, genius.
>Nope, they were both flawed characters.
all right, let me rephrase that: mary sue lead MILITARY GENERALS, because no matter the circumstances, no matter how illogical and unrealistic, they couldnt lose unless it was against each other, and even then it was more a tie than an actual loss for either side
>You didn't really offer a criticism here
because anyone with more than a dozen braincells realizes that almost all wmt entrants suffer from the same pacing issues that something like nobobys boy remi suffers from. their forced 50ep count (for the most part) creates an abundance of problems. also applies to most gundam entrants, msg in particular. almost like theres a pattern here.

what are you gonna do you little shitstain? even if i plaster my posts with emoticons ;) they will still have a higher quality than yours. i mean, look at yourself. instead of addressing the post itself, all you do is complain about the ironic use of :DDD. you truly have your priorities straight and are a valuable member of this community.

The insular computer jargon wasn't great, but the pregnancy reveal was a genuinely innovative addition to locked room mysteries, I'm pretty sure. I was really struck by it.

its funny how pointing out a shows obvious flaws leads people to believe that one couldnt possibly like it. if i like it, its flawless. if i dislike it, it has no aspects worth praise, eh?

visual media shouldn't be overwritten as a rule
it's the visual language which should carry any show

LotGh used a lot of planetary objects and stuff in battles. The first battle in the entire series Reinhard ignites the atmosphere of a planet to attack the Alliance. Did you even watch the series? Also, the entire premise was that they were unparalleled strategic geniuses.

Also, muh pacing is a buzzword non-argument only used by brainlets who can't pay attention to anything longer than 12 episodes and freak out when there are episodes focused on character development rather than arbitrarily advancing the narrative when, quite frankly, life is not a continuous series of strictly related events. The pacing in WMT shows is great, and the attention to character development is exemplary.

>garbage
non-argument
>my condolences
non-argument
Also, that other guy was correct about the way you type. Don't expect me to reply to you anymore if you can't even take the time to write a sentence properly and just want to spam buzzwords and insults.

Cool opinion but we aren't talking about what should carry a show or not.
Just what we think are examples of good writing.

Writing is more than just dialogue.

you simply do not understand you animalistic peon you
writing should never be judged in terms of quality in visual media

Monogatari has outstanding writing

The dialogue in Hyouge Mono is on another level. It's witty and poetic in a way that no other anime comes close to

The manga won the Tezuka Osamu Cultural Prize, which is the only relevant award in the manga industry.
Other winners include Berserk, Yotsuba, 3gatsu, Rakugo and A Drifting Life. I've never read anything they selected that wasn't brilliant.

So you could keep your safe space?

Don't forget the great visuals

>Other winners include Berserk, Yotsuba
>I've never read anything they selected that wasn't brilliant
What did I miss here? How is Berserk brilliant outside of its art?

Berserk was a great manga at one point, though I'll admit that it has declined in recent years.

The flashback is genuinely great. It's why the only berserk anime worth watching is the original.

What are you on here? Are you samefagging?

Also it's hard to say what exactly well-written means. In terms of pure imagination and entertainment you could say that TTGL was absolutely based. And sometimes good writing=/ good anime
while not being the big fan of Ikuhara I must say that Mawaru penguindrum was one of maybe five anime series that made me cry (including kiddo times). It was both entertaining and didn't make me feel too stupid while watching. (like this recent anime Blend S, which is heartwarming, but leaves this hole in the brain, because writing is extreamly lazy)

hoo boy. I know that nowadays there are mostly illiterate people on Sup Forums who can only post a longer response by using a pasta, but don't go full atustic when someone actually wants to talk about anime.
If you can't even tell the difference between thread like this and "moment that made you cry" then it's just pure retardation.
moment that made you cry is guaranteed spoilerfest, and discusing well written anime is not exactly just "I recomend this list"

Soucefagging is bad, but some Sup Forumsnons are just desperational about not telling any anime name in fear of not being a special little snowflake anymore. If something is good it should be mentioned, praised more, because apart from generals, just OPT threads are alive, where only visual aspect gets recognition, and because of that Sup Forums drowns in ecchi.
I'm pretty sure, now more people browsing Sup Forums know who shindol is than who is Azuma

Kaiji and Akagi boast pretty much the best understanding of stakes and dramatic tension in all of fiction.

Madoka Magica's first two episodes were basically one long exercise in character-building. The show needed fifteen minutes to establish personalities which other, less competent shows would need three or four full episodes to flesh out.

Agree with all of this too, minus the hyperbole

What's wrong with Yotsuba?

>t.pseud
Best HxH arc is the Heavens Arena,only plebs will disagree

This is an horrible show.
Pretentious gimmicks, insufferable characters, terrible mystery with a completely off the wall and impractical twist. The evil Mary Sue is just the cherry on the shit cake.

I feel like a lot of anime/manga that get praised for writing lack heart. A lot of them have lack any sort of emotional spark to get attached to, but they don't have obvious plot holes so they get a pass somehow. Nothing to react to, nothing to get involved with, just technically well executed. They're things you read/watch once, say "yeah that was good" then add them to your list of series to namedrop while never actually thinking about it again. TTG is pretty much the posterboy for this in my mind.

>Tatami Galaxy
>nothing to get involved with
Sounds like it was 2deep4u.

Yeah, shows like Monster and LOGH are really well-written, but they struggle to maintain that emotional investment throughout. Especially once a few of your favorite characters have been knocked off, and you become warier about growing to care and to like them as people.

Samurai Champloo is my undisputed masterpiece when it comes to what you're talking about, but TTGL is a close second, yeah.

I think that's one of the reasons Madoka's tenth episode is so popular. You really knew who these characters were, and then this episode stripped it down to their core. In every situation, what's consistent about this girl, and what changes? It's really great to be able to then rewatch the series and say, OK, this action is just a part of who she is, but this one is a product of environment.

I will the completely opposite way about Tatami.
It has heart, emotions, I feel deeply connected with it and I rewatch it every so often.
Also it was pure joy to come back to the same universe with The night is short walk on girl.

Well written anime are even better when you rewatch them, and Tatami Galaxy is no exception.

I think that's part of the problem, the series felt like the author's vehicle to tell a message, that he was more interested in letting people know about carpe diem than telling a heartfelt story with real characters. I don't think Morimi even once believed in the universe and cast he'd created.

Tatami Galaxy lacks heart? Seriously?
The main character is very relatable and the main plot is him getting with the girl he likes.

This is a really hard opinion for me to wrap my head around.

Excellent taste, I agree with all of these. Though, I haven't seen Patlabor.

>Morimi even once believed in the universe and cast he'd created.
He didn't have to believe it because he lived it.

Me too.

>3gatsu, Rakugo
Both shitty melodramatic series praised by people trying too hard to be mature.

obviously it was very different, but to me the romance felt about as human as Anakin and Padme.

the series is made to be extremely relatable to quintessential college beta males, they hold it dear to their heart. youre not the target audience

Yea. I'd rather discuss anime with other equally informed consumers. I'm not trying to imply that Sup Forums should be some echo chamber of the same shitty opinion, but the barrier to entry used to be much steeper.

I thought they were good stories with nice themes and characterization.

Or the deep and intricate characters.

I haven't seen Rakugo, but you're definitely wrong on 3gatsu. Its emotions are very much on display, but it genuinely explores the nuances of its characters and helps them grow. That's definitionally not melodrama. Maybe you just don't like Shoujo manga.

Wish he'd done a better job expressing it then.