Mahouka, what went so horribly wrong?

Mahouka, what went so horribly wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

amzn.asia/8BRm8De
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-15/girls-and-panzer-film-tops-900-million-yen/.97608
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

No more anime and the siscon/brocon shit

These two didn’t fuck each other in the anime.

I tried reading this and it was boring as fuck. It just felt like a glorified JSDF promotion and I should have expected it from an old salaryman author.

Doesn't help Miyuki is insufferable.

I like how movie BD is out in a month and nobody cares. Not even japan.

Because it is.
Hopefully the gov forces more action into season 2.

Oh yeah this thing is legitimate. Amazing.

This is so true. I generally hate using Amazon for impressions, but they're pretty bad.
amzn.asia/8BRm8De

The politics stuff is actually pretty interesting. It's funny that chinks liked it because it made them a superpower.

The main mistake is Tatsuya.

He was too good for his own good.

Lina spin-off when?

Yeah I did like the politics portion a lot. It has a lot of potential there.

Looking at pre orders it's going to sell below 10k. Fucking disaster for a movie.

>One of the complaints is about the movie being hard to enjoy if you haven't read the LN's
Is this movie like Accel World where its set some ways in to the future away from the anime?

Most episodes were them explaining why the MC is a badass instead of the MC actually showing it.

It takes place after the first or second arc of what's supposed to be in Season 2.

bad move, should have been like sao and index where its set after the most recent adaptation or somwhere within whats adapted

Interest started dying when it became obvious that MC will never ever face danger and destroy everyone effortlessly.

The best move would have been to make it like NGNL and adapt the prequel arc (Remembrance).

The problem is that arc was bring as fuck.

Mahouka simply don't work outside of LN niche audience enjoying their self insert fag owning everyone and showing how awesome he is.

I want to bang Miyuki

What's the difference between KiriGod and TatsuGod? What makes one click and the other doesn't?

Kirito is not the strongest and smartest in the setting and he struggles a lot.

Oh I guess Tatsuya is really hard to self insert now that I think about it.

That final arc of the anime was really something else. It took a while to process the awfulness.

There is so much that could be done in this setting. It could have as many spinoffs as Index.

honestly he could just use the world and make more compelling characters.

maybe in an american magic school?

Well it's getting a new spin off. This was the key visual.

There already are great characters people love in the series. Just stop focusing of fucking Tatsuya the most boring fucker ever created.

Shizuku or Lina spin-off series would definitely succeed.

Wasted potential. Lots and lots of wasted potential.

It's fun to watch when you're sick or when you really have nothing to do. Had a lot of fun seeing Oniisama go Jesus and shit.

Now where the fuck is season 2? Fucking morons killing the hype.

Not enough of best girl!

>Tatsuya that low
When you know you fucked up your MC.

Spamming this board won't get you your all girl spin off

Movie failed so hard I doubt they will make S2.

Anyone here know movie spoilers? What the fuck made "Tatsuya become legend"? I need to know because that sounded retarded as fuck at first.

Tell that to Raildexfags.

It actually did ok

Box Office was fine but it probably underperformed compared to what Aniplex was looking for. It doesn't help that the movie BD, which matters more than box office, is ranking so low close to release. Index and SAO were already fairly high by this point.

It really didn't. BD comes out in a month and it's outside top200 on amazon.

It started on 59 screens, did 168 million first weekend then ended with 500 million.

That's low as fuck for a big franchise.

user, for the amount of screens it started on, it was pretty crap for Aniplex.

Nah it did ok when compared to others which sold a lot more BDs

It became licensed so no more quick translations.

user lets put it this way. Warner made more money on Index than Aniplex did on Mahouka. They started out on half the screens Mahouka did and still made money in the same range.

Index show also sold more BDs
Their popularity is not comparable

>minimally better than Nanoha 2nd

It's worse than I thought.

He wore his Darth Vader suit and turned into a diamond.

He looked more like Reaper from Overwatch to me.

Index movie was also considered a flop for something as big as Index.

GuP movie started on 32 screens, made 128 million on first weekend and ended up with 2.5 billion. Over 5x more than Mahouka movie.

And BD sales won't even be comparable. Mahouka movie will be lucky to sell 10k.

There's a difference in time/era for each though. Index started on less screens and that was because Warner knew how to position it. It was a success for them while Aniplex made a stupid move.

You are dumb, stop talking

Started user. GuP movie was doing so well more and move cinemas jumped the train and run was extended like 3 times.

Meanwhile Mahouka movie disappeared in few weeks.

Not really. Index movie grossed more than Haruhi in its opening week, with only 6 more screens.

>400.00 million - Madoka [Part 3]
>171.62 million - Madoka [Part 2]
>149.88 million - IDOLM@STER
>138.56 million - Madoka [Part 1]
>112.28 million - Nanoha 2nd A's
>111.78 million - Macross F Part 2
>100.76 million - Index
>*89.01 million - Haruhi
>*88.15 million - Macross F Part 1
>*59.15 million - Nanoha 1st
>*40.43 million - Strike Witches

>*43 theaters @ 3.99 million/theater - Madoka [Part 2]
>*39 theaters @ 3.84 million/theater - IDOLM@STER
>*24 theaters @ 3.70 million/theater - Haruhi
>*30 theaters @ 3.35 million/theater - Index
>*43 theaters @ 3.22 million/theater - Madoka [Part 1]
>*19 theaters @ 3.11 million/theater - Nanoha 1st
>129 theaters @ 3.10 million/theater - Madoka [Part 3]
>*38 theaters @ 2.94 million/theater - Macross F Part 2
>*30 theaters @ 2.93 million/theater - Macross F Part 1
>*50 theaters @ 2.24 million/theater - Nanoha 2nd A's
>*18 theaters @ 2.24 million/theater - Strike Witches

Do you have any idea about what you're talking about? GuP started on 77 screens and it's recorded.

Index was a success for what Warner positioned it as, SAO was as well, Mahouka underperformed.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2016-01-15/girls-and-panzer-film-tops-900-million-yen/.97608

where did animenewsnetwork get this information from though? someanithing sources straight from animeanimebiz or Mojo so i'm inclined to believe someani more

ANN fucked up user. Their source doesn't even mention it started with screens at all so it's wrong.

Ok someone who actually knows what happened.

How did the movie fail? Did they make it look like it was season 2 or something? Like, people had to watch the show first or whatever?

>big franchise
>implying 59 screens is alot
500 million on 59 screens is good.

Just the sister.

The rest is cool. The politics, the international changes, the magic, the school and the fights.

But the over abundance of Miyuki beauty, her broconness, and the forced hold The yotsuba placed on Tatsuya drags it down too much.
It Dosn't help that every time Tatsuya praises, protects and cares for her, i'm reminded that its mostly because of the mental indifference magic on his mind, making it all seem forced and ingenuine to me. And its these moments that take up most of the story.

Seriously. If Miyuki didn't have the bro-con side of her, i'd like her a lot more, And if Tatsuya wasn't a puppet, he'd probobly have more character to him. The rest of the story is engaging for the most part, but its these two points that drag it down a lot.

It happens one arc after anime aired so anime only people were confused. And it's the usual Onii-sama sugoi shit where he does the impossible and everyone is in awe.

Nothing about Tatsuya is engaging. People were hyped about him fighting other strategic magicians. Turns out he beats them with no effort. People were hyped for his fight with Juumonji. Turns out he beats him with one spell.

Everybody is tired of this shit.

Brother and sister are both the problem.

The one mistake Mahouka made was making a non canon movie instead of just adapting Reminiscence.

>boo hoo the mc is too op !!!!
>you cant just make him destroy everyone !!!
>thats so BOOOOORING !!!!!!
>miyuki a shit !! A SHIT!!!!
>mommy hes too op i cant self insert !!!

Is this still Ishida Kana? It actually looks good.

> OP MC is not a self insert.
Kek

You aren't the target audience I guess.

It's power fantasy shit for teenagers. It sort of succeeds at that with a main character who is a strategic weapon with special ops training who has to hide true power. Every girl falls for him despite his aloof attitude and no personality.

I suppose the other thing Mahouka has over other battle harem magic sci-fi settings is the exhaustive explaination of magic. It's a huge pain to read when they go into detail but some people love that shit.

It was popular enough to get this far so I guess it did something right. It's trash but light novels are generally trash so whatever.

I'm gonna give it a try again, but I can't stand to the MC, make me feel so jealous.

The unnerving thing about this, Grisaia, and some other series is that the MC, showed as some ideal guy, just has no personality at all. It's not just a blank state. Being void of emotion, desires and personality IS the character.
How can those fags even wish to be like that?

Nothing went horribly wrong, LNs are among the top sellers.
What's wrong is how Satou jerks it off to Miyuki every chance he gets, can't write a page without calling her beautiful at least once. Miyuki's yandere potential is being way underused too, shame because it's what's most interesting about her. Their whole sibling relationship is so fucked up which can be a great plot point but is rarely portrayed as such, rather it's portrayed as beautiful or romantic or some shit. There should be more focus on side characters (which are pretty good) and their view of Tats and that sibling relationship, instead of just viewing it through Tats' cold analytical eyes. Also it'd be great if SOME characters would not get a raging boner on Tats -- the only reactions are falling in love (or if you're a male, respecting and relying on him) or getting scared shitless of him -- shouldn't some people pity him, find him deplorable or some shit?

Reminiscence wouldn't work as a movie. There are 0 good fights in there and end would be anticlimactic.

Wait, what?

Isn't author already working on 2 other novel series?

>Nothing went horribly wrong

It did though. Novels are cheap. Real money is in anime and merchandise and Mahouka failed there. It's not even getting any merch anymore.

This. He should've focused more in the side characters and Maya, instead of the boring villain plot that no one gives a fuck about, he also wastes too much time on useless info and the lack of development from Miyuki's side really kills her character. Overall Mahouka would be a lot better if not for these points, the author could learn so much from Horizon.

>Real money is in anime and merchandise
You're right about the merchandise, but the anime's main purpose was to boost LN sales, so that "novels are cheap" reasoning doesn't fly. Since LN sales are great, anime didn't fail

The only thing wrong is that there wasn't any imouto fucking or pres fucking

>jealous
Being Tatsuya is like being surrounded by all your favorite food but you can't taste any of it because your taste buds don't work.

Anime's main purpose it to make series popular enough to sell merch.

>shouldn't some people pity him, find him deplorable or some shit?
Some do, the problem is that Tatsuya is incredibly secretive so most people don't know much about him besides being a stoic badass. That's why most people view him in extreme ways. The people who know about his past do pity him and some like the Uncle Kuroba think he is despicable and should never have existed in the family. The younger generation of Yotsuba treat him in a more friendly way than the older generation, though. Not to mention there are people that dislike him or are jealous of him without fearing him completely like Masaki. I think the attitudes towards Tatsuya are varied enough within the people that really get to know him and of course casual acquaintances (AKA most characters) are going to have the same superficial attitudes of him. I do agree though, I really think the author should develop Miyuki's character further.

Tats exists to defeat everyone with no problems and Miyuki exists to praise him and scream Onii-sama. Making characters like them the main leads was idiotic. It got boring very fast.

It's not though.

Which didn't really work out and by this time, the other two big series had a ton of content surrounding it. Mahouka is a lot slower on the uptake and I feel Aniplex's decision to do a movie instead fucked the series.

Yeah it is. That illustrator is inconsistent as fuck though.

To be fair, Kamachi and Kawahara work on several things as well.

It always baffles me to see people attacking Mahouka. To be fair, they shouldn't have adapted the LNs anyway, since the majority of people watching anime wouldn't be able to understand it's subtle storytelling. Bear in mind that it's not a simple generic shounen, but a detailled social commentary through an intresting and thought provoking sci-fi. Despite being an LN series, it's actually high literature, most comparable to Ender's game and it's sequels. Start reading with these expectations and an open eye, and if you are intelligent enough, the story will suck you in.

>Mahouka too smart for people
Literally discrediting people who bring up valid criticism now with this

>LNs are among the top sellers.
Problem is those peaked early and has no room for growth. Aniplex signed off with a movie and Blurays sort of underperformed, which matters a lot. Can see the difference in how they handle Mahouka and SAO.

I recognize this bait.

Tatsuya just winning everything effortlessly for 20+ volumes became boring even for self inserting autists. I remember last volume creating a mini shitstorm in japan after he beat Katsuto.

>I remember last volume creating a mini shitstorm in japan after he beat Katsuto.
What were they expecting? It should be clear by now no one can beat him 1v1. Not to mention he constructed a magic to defeat that guy in particular 7 volumes ago.

Katsuto's loss was pretty pathetic too, he lost his hand only for magical Jesus to restore it like the mesiah he is.

I'll eat my hat if we actually get Volume 19 before Christmas.

Volume 19?

Someone posted that in a thread here recently.

>What were they expecting?

An actual fight for a change? It's far more interesting to read adventures of other characters since they actually need to work for the win.

Some struggle? Even Kirito has more struggle and show of personality than Tatsuya to make for an entertaining battle and of course Touma. Tatsuya is the only one who makes battles stale.