I'm completely new to FullMetal Alchemist...

I'm completely new to FullMetal Alchemist. I've heard conflicting opinions about which series to watch first: Brotherhood or the original.
What does Sup Forums suggest doing?

>watch original, get mad
>watch new, get mildly frustrated

brotherhood

Watch the first bit of 2003, then switch to Brotherhood and watch the rest.

I would recommend Brotherhood since it follows the manga on point, but I haven't seen 2003 yet

I wouldn't bother with it. 2003 is only good until it deviates from the source material.

>this
we need a Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood Kai rebuild of Evangelion style anime that combines the first bit of 2003 with the rest being brotherhood

>Evangelion
Get in the damn armor, Alphonse

I still plan on getting the blu-ray eventually when they re-release it hopefully with the original dub

>follows the manga
Not an argument.

The animation is nice to look at, I guess. I definitely wouldn't watch it for the story.

Gee, sometimes people like watching shit if it follows it's source material

Brotherhood is your typical shounen for the braindead boruto sword art fate zero mass consumers of Sup Forums. If you like low quality mindless entertainment i suggest you go for that. If you want something a little bit better than I suggest you start with and finish Fullmetal Alchemist 2003. I can only describe the ending as far more emotionally fulfilling and intellectual than the random punch ups in brotherhood.

Brotherhood is great. Never saw the original myself but from what I understand the ending didn't really have a proper resolution whereas Brotherhood wrapped all the plot threads up pretty nicely

That's fucking retarded. There are major differences even at the start.

You watch just Brotherhood. Everyone who says otherwise is an idiot or a troll.

Read the manga. Everyone will say to watch Brotherhood, but it cuts out so much in the beginning. So just read the manga and get all the goodness.

I've watched both. It's been a few years, but even so, I don't see why the two series can't be reconciled reasonably well.

If nothing else, watch the episode where Ed jews the guy with alchemically created gold, so when the character shows up later, it isn't without introduction.

Don' listen to this guy Brotherhood is a great adaptation of the manga and it still sits atop among the best adventure fantasy stories anime has to offer.

>anime
>intellectual

Haven't watched Brotherhood, but I suggest watching 2003 and then reading the manga.

FMA is probably the only anime I'll never watch because starting with the manga is all I've ever needed.

So yeah, read the manga.

Read the manga, 2003 breaks from the source material out of necessity and brotherhood both isn't as good as 2003 (arguably) and kinda assumes you're already familiar with the source.

>Brotherhood is a great adaptation of the manga and it still sits atop among the best adventure fantasy stories anime has to offer.
how you coping with that 'tism diagnosis, kid?

Read the manga.

Either go for the long haul and watch both or just skip to brotherhood.
Tbh my favorite thing about the original is that the first op is full of great nostalgia vibes.

From what ive heard 2003 is a slog if youve already watched brotherhood

Regardless of which is better, you should watch the original anime first, and then brotherhood after.

Probably best to watch both desu, they each have their own strengths and are worth watching

If you only want to watch one then Brotherhood is the better choice

2003 is a lot darker than Brotherhood, and a lot of people see that and assume that makes it better.

Brotherhood may not be as grimdark as 2003, but it's more thematically sound. Greed, Pride, Gluttony, and Envy all get really nice ironic ends. Ed's final solution to get his brother's body back is really nice. It just feels more satisfying than the stuff they put in 2003.

>fma
>low quality mindless entertainment

It's one of the better written anime out there.

It's true. The first 20 episodes of the original anime are covered in the first 8 episodes of Brotherhood.
Because of that, if you watch Brotherhood first Brotherhood also feels too rushed. For example you don't get a proper introduction to Mustang and his relation to Ed and Al.