Glasses in a medieval setting

>Glasses in a medieval setting

The concepts of magnification and optics in general are ancient, but it wasn’t until the medieval period that lenses became wearable (and fashionable!). Historians have estimated that the first European glasses were invented around the 1280s CE in Italy, based partly on this sermon by Fra Giordano of Pisa in 1306:

They were invented at the end of the medieval era.

Okay. Cartoons aren't real tho.

>medieval
>swords
>muh swords can't slash armor
>nobody even tries Halbschwert

>Halbschwert
Achoo to you too.

stfu this thread is about MY PET PEEVES, LIKE GLASSES? IN A CARTOON WITH SWORDS? LIKE WTF

I think that in Junketsu no Maria some characters used that style

>OP is a fag

FUCK YOU CARTOON CHARACTERS IN A CARTOON WORLD SHOULD NOT BE WEARING GLASSES IN A MEDIEVAL SETTING, FUCK PEOPLE LIKE YOU RUIN THE MEDIUM

>medieval
You mean fantasy.
Also they have them because it's fantasy.
Also if you're still complaining about them in a story that has magic in any way then you really are off the mark on this one.

The study of optics have existed since before Christ. Now they being round and fix the eyesight perfectly is another thing.

Well they did have them, they were just horribly expensive.

>It's a "Namefag gets btfo" episode
My favorite!

>namefag
>Not even secure trip
what a faggot loser faggot

if it's "fantasy" why does it not actually utilise the human faculty or activity of imagining impossible or improbable things and instead just throw shitty written characters into what the author's historically illiterate ass understands as "castle times"? That's not fantasy. That's garbage.

Because inserting things that shouldn't exist in the series' time frame is, along with some Magic system, the easiest way to write fantasy. Zero no Tsukaima is the prime example.

Holy shit. Did you adjust your glasses with your middle finger and then wipe the dust off your metal band tshirt shoulder? Sheathe your katana and untip that fedora.

>Glasses were invented in Italy during the middle ages
>People complain about seeing glasses during the middle ages

Ask me how I know you're fresh off Sup Forums.

>"In our world, magic is super advanced and super important! Tons of people study it! We have tons of schools and colleges and...!"

>nobody fucking uses it except for the huge floating castle, the macguffin, and in combat

>no magic-operated kitchens to cook food without wasting wood or simply to start fires more efficiently
>no forges to achieve higher temperatures, or protect valuable metals against the stresses of forging so complex alloys don´t break or get messed up
>no spells to heal common ailments
>no spells to heal huge health issues like sight problems
>no magic-operated weapons like scorpions, catapults or automated siege or crew-served weapons of any kind
>no magically supported architecture other than that one super-mysterious huge floating whatever
>no magic-assisted teaching, like straight up putting maths into people´s brains
>no magic everyday use times like pens and pencils, telescopes or spyglasses, cloth-mending needles

>no explanation as to why things are like this, like the Church going full retard, the nobility keeping magic to themselves, or magic-users developing psychopathic disorders that push them toward becoming adventurers and frying asses with fireballs

>color page in magazine
>B&W in volume

You would need an equal output of science to do half of that. How can you heal illness if you don't know what causes it? How would you magic Metallurgy if you only have empirical knowledge of smithing?

>You would need an equal output of science to do half of that. How can you heal illness if you don't know what causes it? How would you magic Metallurgy if you only have empirical knowledge of smithing?

It´s funny, because you are assuming that magic works according to scientific laws, when magic is traditionally the antithesis of magic. It defies the laws of physics, works on sheer willpower, and sometimes it´s even the product of divine intervention.

Magic has its own rules regardless of science, and that´s usually how it is presented and used. What I´m referencing in my post is that:
1- These rules are explored enough to make WMDs but not to make people´s lives easier.
2- The point above is never justified through any sort of in-world reasoning, like the intervention of anti-magic politics, or magic´s rules not allowing it.

All cute girls should wear glasses.

Is it that inconceivable that the same minds that managed to develop something as dangerous and unpredictable magic into a coherent system practiced all around the world in your average fantasy world might have been able to use that magic to discover germ theory or the specific heats of alloys?

I can do at least half of that shit even with an incomplete scientific understanding, considering that I just need some healing magic and some heat magic. Since I somehow created a spell that manipulates gravity to a point where I can let a castle flow around I should at least be able to make golems or a magic cannon.

>CE

>Glasses ever

Better than contact lens in medieval period.

>medieval setting
>there are 18-year-old girls who aren't married or arranged to marry someone yet
>high nobles marry peasants or somebody politically inconvenient and it isn't a disaster

>post-apocalyptic setting causes a regression to medieval times

>there are 18-year-old girls who aren't married or arranged to marry someone yet
that was the norm though, unless you had land

Well it kind of would, especially if they wiped out most major population centers and places of education.

Average age of marriage for women in medieval Europe was 26.

As Einstein said, World War 4 would be fought with sticks and stones.

>CE