Serial Experiments Lain

So what the hell is this anime about?
I've watched it like two times and i'm still confuzzeled.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=VNxp7g-9nBw
theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

The eternal September

It's the outdated concept of what people believed the internet was going to be about back then.

And you don't seem to understand...

Nope

>It's the outdated concept of what people believed the internet was going to be about back then.
But the ending is pretty accurate

>So what the hell is this anime about?
Honestly Serial Experiments Lain has all the depth and complexity of your average "Hardy Boys" book. If you can't figure it out, you should probably go back to fifth-grade literature.

read deleuze

Descent into schizophrenia. Lain haz it.

Then she kills herself and gets reborn as Rakka.

>dementia

I didn't watch it. Do you mean she is seeing stuff that isn't there or something like this?

Pretty much everything she experiences is textbook schizophrenic symptoms. But yes, there's tons of hallucinations (not from her point of view of course), voices, government conspiracies spying on her etc etc etc.

I LOVE LAIN

It was a guess on how the internet would connect us all and ultimately evolve us into a higher consciousness. For the time when this show was created, pretty accurate. I don’t know about becoming a God, but we are pretty connected. It’s like we can share our thoughts, like telepathy, but with more tubes

did you actually waste your time 2 times in a row to understand that shit.!

>period, exclamation mark

You don't seem to understand

Lain is monitaring this thread

What role does Lain's sister play in progressing the development of the wired? Why does she have to be the prophet and exactly what type of prophet is she? The Knights never make an effort to use her to promote their ideology after she is mind broken.

Lain is a "god", beyond comprehension and our scope of knowledge. She's the Wired, as we will eventually be.
Much of Lain compliments the concept of interconnectedness in our post-modern era. While I know people really don't like him, Digi did a fantastic video series on exploring Lains themes youtube.com/watch?v=VNxp7g-9nBw

Pretty accurate depiction of the Internet now that NN got repealed if you think about it.

It's a kafkaesque lovecraftian depiction of how technology robs humanity from itself

Dude, NN has literally nothing to do with Lain. If anything removing NN would reduce the effectiveness of developing an alternate reality based on the internet. The goals of the ISPs is to focus the internet to being primarily a content source similar to cable TV, rather than communication medium.
The plot line of Lain is not about pay walls and restricting access to specific content.

Lain is all about online anonymity, which is pretty much outdated in today's corporatized internet.

People who need youtubers to understand Lain get sent to internet hell when they die.

It's like the concept of Deus Ex Machina, but that the Machine's creator becomes said God.

you should derive your own understandings from viewing of the media, and not have to resort to some fuckin mook on youtube to explain it to you

To expand on your point, the bulk of internet usage is shifting to a format of content creators and consumers. The driving fear in Lain is that communication on the internet will become so sophisticated that interacting in the real world will become not just impractical but relatively ambiguous. I just don't see that happening in the near future. We would need to directly connect to the internet with our brain and not just some fancy VR device, before people would start to consider the internet as a valid alternate reality.

Watch it again until you understand.

Also the bulk of the plot line is laid out in Episode 9, so they could just rewatch that.

jealous you don't have as many subscribers as digibro?

not relevant

The message of the show is stunning but though the series gets pretty cryptic sometimes.

>sometimes

pretentious shit
just say you like it so you can fit in Sup Forums

confirmed

Literally who

It is the ontological philosophy of Saint Anselm to the existence of God.

a horsefucker who took a little girl's cartoon so seriously he became hated even by them and so he left to take chinese cartoons for a ride

Plebs watching Lain for "muh themes" without realizing its one of the most powerful and visually arresting anime

>t. liking moeshit and shounenshit to fit in Sup Forums
name one shounenshit show without an asspull
name one moeshit, isekai, highschool drama show that actually has a plot

hang you're self plotnorm

>corporatized internet
You mean centralized? Goddamn tech illiterate - I bet you use Windows.

Some scientists created a new world-spanning wireless internet protocol. It is available anywhere on the planet enables people to be connected to the internet at all times. This blurs the lines between reality and internet because everyone is part of both worlds at all times.

One scientist dude uploaded his brain to the internet so he could become a god in this new world.

This girl Lain has some weird magical ability that lets her control the real world (through the internet?). That dude who uploaded himself tries to convince her to leave her body behind like he did and join him in the net, so he can use her powers to completely fuse internet and real world. Which would make him actually all-powerful.

She tells the god dude to go fuck himself because he is a weirdo creep. I think she deletes him or something.

In the end she decides to embrace her godlike powers and removes all memories of herself in the minds of her family and friends.

This is the gist of it, really. I think there was some deeper thing with the Wired and WHY it allowed godlike power though, basically that it was an Internet of human thought rather than just digital data. In the universe of Lain, perception = reality, so by having total power over the Wired and modifying the perception of all humans simultaneously, one also gains total power over "reality."

Why didn't he just say a cute girl in bear pajamas is internet Jesus?

Are you kidding me? I watched this anime a decade ago, and that mother telling her son to just play with his friends online so that she didn't have to take him over to a friend's place has always stuck with me. And it's here.

theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/09/has-the-smartphone-destroyed-a-generation/534198/ Ignore the clickbait title, and read about how middle class pre-teens/teens interact with each other these days. It's not all negative, but things are changing.

You don't seem to understand OP

It's just pretentious garbage that people pretend to understand and see many complex and well explored mature philosophical themes. They pretend this to brag and make themselves seem intelligent and cultured.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Serial Experiments Lain

I AM

Fuck off.

Ravioli ravioli you do not understand the wired loli.

She's not a prophet, she's just a target for the Knights' bullying. They shoved her in between the real and wired worlds for fun.

Lain is about humanity and transhumanism. The Wired is just a medium for the story. Ueda has said that he did not have the intention to predict things about the internet.