Does anyone else feel like there is no recent anime that is actually great?

Does anyone else feel like there is no recent anime that is actually great?
I don't mean that nowadays we don't have any anime worth watching. I still enjoy watching anime, there was many interesting and fun anime even this year, but none of them really hits close to home like they used to.
Recently I rewatched my first non-shounen anime that I actually enjoyed and got fucking PADS first time after so many years doing series after series without hesitation.
I don't know if it's just a nostalgia from associating this anime with old memories, but god damn, I wish I could just forget everything and start watching anime from day 0.

pic not related.

it's called getting old and realizing you can't escape from reality

Just watch less anime.

It's that simple

It's not a meme, it's just the burst of the bubble in japan and the cutthroat anime industry

Studios don't risk 50+ episode shows any more unless it's a guaranteed smash hit, we're lucky to even get a few 2 cours every season now.

Not to mention studios won't risk anything, normies don't buy anime, only obsessed otaku do, which leads to the market pandering to them, hence the large increase in idol and haremshit anime.

The buyers control the market in the anime world unfortunately.

>DAE HAVE SUPERIOR TASTE FOLDED 10000X LIKE ME
>UUUHHHGGG NEW STUFF SUCKS, I ONLY WATCH YOUTUBE CELEB APPROVED CLASSICS NOT ANYTHING NEW FOR BABBIES

I-is there any way back?

I think it's the opposite. Now I just watch 1-3 airing series per season, it's nothing. But after picking up so much gems it's so hard to not find shit it's demotivating.

It might be something. I just checked and nearly all my 10/10 and 9/10 are from 2007-2009 and there is only one 2013+.

>said nobody ever

You are pure cancer.

>watch 1-3 airing series per season

Me too. There is nothing out there anymore that's worth watching so I just pick few least shit series per season and drop them halfway anyway.

anime has gotten worse

you've also gotten pickier

That's because there are only one or two truly great anime every year. Sometimes we will get a great year, sometimes we will get shit years.
This year we got Koe no Katachi and Mahoustsukai, so I paint this as a good year. Last year was pretty meh, but we got a few gems like Flying Witch and Haifuri.

>she didn't watch the greatest anime of the decade

Was going to post this.
Shame that it was too good for this world

Fuck off retard.

>anime with faggots
>anime made for fujos
>anime with disgusting content
>haremshit
>yurishit
At least a half of seasonal anime is something like this.
Also, the industry is trying to catch the western normie people (Chads and Staceys), the true cancer of anime fandom.
Do you remember Crunchyroll's poll for best OP, ED, AOTY...? Do you serious believe that Yuri on ice deserved to be the winner of almost all the categories?

There is still good anime being made, they just are less common now.
You should try to play/read VNs too

vulgar

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu is probably in my top 20 shows of all time so no.

It's you, or rather, everyone who grows up
We enjoy watching media because it stimulates our brain, we learn something new each time we watch something.
However by now you have seen most of what entertainment has to offer, there are no twist you don't see coming, there are no clichees you don't know of, everything has just been done before.
As you said, there are still a few anime that provide something new, however overall even those anime are just that, anime.
I still remember the first time i saw a clip of dbz(long before it even aired outside japan), it blew my fucking mind. I think in the last 5 years i have only once felt like that again, and it wasn't even of an anime.

A thing doesn't have to be "Great", it just has to make you feel.

>they just are less common now
No they aren't, you just only watched the good ones among the older shows. I just picked a random older season, winter 1991. Let's see how many great shows are in there compared to this year's winter.
And yes, pic related is all of the TV anime of that season.

>You should try to play/read VNs too
But VNs are the epitome of what you just criticized.

You can never experience that joy again, but you can help others to. Start them off with some pretty good casual shit like Cowboy Bebop, then when they're ready I find Madoka Magica is a good entry point to the generally accepted masterpieces, followed by NGE.

>don't risk 50+ episodes
Black Clover.

stop playing starless user

Everything about this post is awful.

Have you seen Made in Abyss

I have been watching anime for more than 10 years now and I still find 2 or 3 shows each season worth watching. I would even say the overall quality has gone up.

>Do you serious believe that Yuri on ice deserved to be the winner of almost all the categories?
Like an Burgershit poll matters anyway.

But regardless, it won because it was a fairly mainstream product that catered to something oft ignored by such (The gay). The more you try and fight it, the more such things will continue to earn undue praise. Let them become normalized, and its flaws will be as torn into as anything else, leaving more polished, superior products to gain the recognition they deserve.

Why didn't you like my post user?

>le tired anime watcher meme
Fuck off. Anime is great.

was gonna suggest that too

But this isn't "Free".

>disgusting content
Oh, you're a casualfag. Just fuck off then.

>Do you serious believe that Yuri on ice deserved to be the winner of almost all the categories?

Yes.

Yeah, and read the manga.
One of few anime from 2014+ that I enjoyed, and also JoJo part 4, yurikuma, assassination classroom, plastic memories, KLK, NGNL. But that would be it, about 2 actually entertaining shows per year. But once I scroll below 2013 I see so much shows that gave me so much fun it's depressing.
Well, I guess I will just try to watching 3 episodes of everything in my backlog and maybe there will be some hidden gem among them.

I like anime too...

That's pretty valid explanation I think.

I'd rather start with something like Angel Beats or Mirai Nikki.

>that entire list
Yeah no OP. You actually have just garbage fucking taste.

Fucking get out of here with your 'abloobloobloo what happened' bullshit.

>there is no recent anime that is actually great?

Come on now, NGNL was good.

Fuck off dude

YKA is this century's greatest artwork.

Consumerism destroys everything. Juu-sama doesn't want you to have opinions or new ideas, he wants you to consume and never marry or reproduce.

>stop liking what I don't like

It's an industry commentary that was so overblown and convoluted that no one bothered to pay attention to it.

The rest of his list is pretty meh, but NGNL was great and you know it.

>plastic memories
>klk
>yurikuma
>ngnl
>the worst jojo part
I'm sorry to break it to you but anime isn't the problem. It's you.

it was twenty different things at once, literally the Ulysses of visual art

>that there are 2 or 3 shows each season worth watching.

And I have been watching anime for more than twenty years and I agree and I don't agree at same time. There are sessions with more than 3 anime worht watching, there are sessions without a single one (this session for exemple).

The question is: How do you choose what is worth watching or not? I don't have much time to watch anime, I need to pick wisely, tha is why, most of time, I wath "old" anime.
Recently, I have finished "Knight of Shidonia" and I am thinking what I should pick next. I am not sure if I will like "Kemono friends" or "Yuri on ice", but I need to watch this two anime to know about what do you guys talk all the time.

Genuinely no. I have the feeling you have with video games, but there is still really great anime coming out. I can't follow 10+ shows a season anymore, but I really enjoy the three I do follow right now.

You need to find something else to occupy your time with. In fact occupying is not enough, you need a challenging goal and work towards, or you're going to be stuck in this endless misery dude

>a half
Try 95%.

>anime with disgusting content
Define disgusting.

These are just new shows I happened to watch and were somehow enjoyable. My favorite shows are rather older than that list.

starless-tier disgusting + ntr

No, specially considering 2017 was such a good year too.

>normie
>that shitty spacing
>implying you need more than 12 episode to make a good show when most 50+ episode anime are shitty toy commercials or fighting shounen.
Reddit cancer.

You probably don't even "watch" anything except the summaries at the beginning of the season.

>The buyers control the market in the anime world unfortunately.

Settle down, Hitler

>>Sup Forums

>3D animation
There is reason why i dont watch new disney movies

Are you really defending 12 episode format? Shit is cancer and it should go back to 2 cour like it used to or at least bring OVA series format back

>specially considering 2017 was such a good year too
Only good ones were sequels but without those this show pretty much sucked

Looking back at things, it's only about every 2 years or so an anime really catches my attention. This is part the quality of anime and part the time gap. Because once you've connected with something, it's a while before something else comes along and does it again. Maybe you need time between the events since they leave a long, lasting impression that's hard to top. So, something comes around eventually. I wouldn't get hung up about it. Anime is just another fun thing to do whenever you get into it.

anything i don't like

Bitch wat?
The 2010s have been the best time for anime ever

couldn't bring myself to watch more than 5 episodes of any show in your example sheet

a classic lives on, and its put to rest when the time comes. A classic doesn't reboot itself because its already perfect.

>Does anyone else feel like there is no recent anime that is actually great?

Absolutely disagreed.

The only thing that's different nowadays is that no matter how great and popular you may be, interest in shows and discussion of them dies within a week of the show airing its finale.
Far too much stuff coming out and most people quickly jump trains every new season.
As opposed to rewatching and shitposting about the same show for months on end.

>session

lol.

>liking the worst genre

>couldn't stomach more than five episodes of hunter x hunter
double nigger

Why exactly would you want to have others to experience the same apathy you're going through after watching more and more anime?

>As opposed to rewatching and shitposting about the same show for months on end.

That gets you banned now though.

Just because Sup Forums never talks about it doesn't mean there is none. Sup Forums just has shit taste. Pic related.

>Sup Forums just has shit taste
I don't think so sweetie..... that show is just really boring!

>implying you need more than 12 episodes to make a good show
24-26 episodes is objectively the best length to make a good show.

>tfw I enjoy yurishit and it makes all the elitists mad

I recently listened to a guy play The Real Folk Blues outside of work and I just thought to myself "No anime will ever be made that will be better" and felt really sad.

there is like one good that just ended and thats ballroom

rest are mass garbage

Psshhhhh LOL

(Is this guy serious...?)

>E V E R watching ironic weeb e-celebs

There are some good shows still, but no real huge hits for a long time now.

>another six gazillion hidden "gibe me sum good aniem rec pls"
Totally original and unique, almost laughably ironic considering the very pretentious, snobbits and elitistic attitude of those who makes these threads.
Sadly a bunch of morons will keep arguing about those actually "good animays" just to make them less sure that they are not complete and total losers and their favorite hobby is not a business model for man in suits to keep their pockets full of shekels.
>balroom
>good
>the rest is mass garbage
Fifty shades of irony, now this is not even funny.

>>another six gazillion hidden "gibe me sum good aniem rec pls"
>implying I would watch something recommended by you

As it should be. If there's new stuff to talk about, then talk about the new stuff at least.

The older I get the easier it is for me to escape thanks to money, anime, my bed, and drugs get on my level you fuckin loser

It's not that there aren't any great shows anymore, it's just that since the classics are readily available, you're under the impression that "older" anime is better.
But as said, most seasonal shows in the past were just as mediocre as what we have now.
Great anime still happens, masterpieces are still being created, but they're rare and they've always been. You're just biased.

Take control of your life. Man the fuck up.

>absolutely abhorrent post is made by cancerous tripfaggot
Color me surprised

They made a sequel to that Little Mermaid anime? I really liked it, way better than the Disney version in my opinion.

People here might think it's because they are getting old, but the problem is much deeper than that.
The quality of fiction has been on steady decline for decades, and that's not only true to anime, it's happening on every media, including books.
There's many reasons for this phenomenon and I don't plan on listing all of them here, however, the most important one is probably the fact that artists nowadays are creating their pieces based on stereotypes rather than real life experiences, or genuine experiences if you prefer. Their imaginary is completely dominated by the media they consumed and by second hand experiences, which makes them unable to capture situations or themes as genuinely as older artists did.
Older artists had to rely on actual the observation and investigation of real experiences or at least detailed experiences to draw their conclusions, while new artists generally have those same experiences and sensations chewed to them through the media and entertainment they consume. By repeating this process throughout many decades, you have a generation that doesn't even know what the real experience was in the first place, and is now only writing based on repeated stereotypes and repeated images that he saw, because that's what he knows, or at least what's more prevalent on his imaginary.

To understand this better, just think about memes. Do you notice on the internet how the vast majority of people can only speak through memes and stereotypes, and can't form a genuine thought to save their lives? And do you notice how it's getting worse and worse by the day, as media becomes more and more accessible?
It's the same principle.

In the case of anime, it's getting more and more stereotyped, more and more fake, and harder for people who aren't already anime fans to get into it. At this point it's just a machine playing itself.

So basically the general decline of quality in media comes from a decay of "Writing What You Know". That's pretty interesting

princess principal was pretty good

This show is the My Little Pony of the new decade

because you're an adult?

How can you fairly compare the two if you haven't watched all of both?

Anime becomes boring after you've been into it for a few years.
The enthusiasm will never come back.

Made in Abyss was pretty great actually.
Maybe stop watching shows while they are airing.

>Hitler

what

Only thing you can do is watch a few shows every 6 months or so,well its the only way for me to enjoy anime still.

If you don't still enjoy anime after the novelty wears off, you don't actually like anime, just novelty.