Why is older animation feels nicer than current animation?

Why is older animation feels nicer than current animation?

What went wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM
youtube.com/watch?v=GrSupYpPwlg
youtube.com/watch?v=h_ej7ZlS2oQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

> animation
Fuck no.
Hand-colored backgrounds on the other hand look way better than bucket-fill 2DCG.

Dont know if the animation, but the art was definitely better, it used look much more natural, nowadays every artstyle in every anime looks plastic and fake.

>Why is older animation feels nicer than current animation?
>What went wrong?
Says while posting a still from an ED

nostalgia is a cancer of the mind

Because you watch cherrypicked high production value anime since the more terrible looking ones were lost in time.

>dragonball
>toei
>cherrypicked high production value anime

i dont know op. maybe you prefer a certain style because you believe it aligns with your values better than newer or different styles. maybe you're nostalgic. it's probably both, and you're probably also a retard with no self-awareness and no conscious thought about art or aesthetics. you probally inherited all those in your usual retard manner instead of thinking and making decisions.

they vectorize so they can give huge resolutions, it's less effort and they can pump stuff out fast. Thick black lines with no details that they can fill with color using paint bucket.

The older way is far far more detailed and ambient, requires more work and is way better. Look at hunter x hunter for instance or berserk.

>animation
>posts stills: the ending
nice

>all these fags saying that older anime wasn't better animated
Crazy Kawajiri stuff like Ninja Scroll and Vampire Hunter D Bloodlust would never have been made today. Akira was a product of its time too. Not to say that there aren't fantastic animators working today, but there are hardly any that are allowed to fully realise their vision other than Masaaki Yuasa and Imaishi.

>there are hardly any that are allowed to fully realise their vision
There are a couple Kyoani anime every year though

It's a softer look that appeals to some people, where newer stuff looks a bit sharper.

Most of their stuff is visually generic but with nice composition. Nichijou was great though.

>better shading and details
>more care put into backgrounds
>infinitely better coloring
Of course you pick one of the worst looking current anime, only rivaled by One Piece from the same studio. Toei back then may have taken a lot of animation shortcuts just like now, but at least they had competent directors who used techniques to hide and distract from them and a much nicer artstyle from the older era. Toei today is irredeemable lazy garbage that doesn't even try to make their shit look passable 90% of the time, they just leech off of franchises they don't deserve anymore.

Computers.

Because torrenting didn't exist and people paid for the privilege of watching anime

More detail went into each frame, so it was more aesthetically pleasing from an art stand point

>Toei today is irredeemable lazy garbage
Actually they just funnel all their resources into magical girl anime now

Once they started doing coloring digitally 99% of shit became bland as fuck.

I wouldn't call watching anime a "privalege."

It really just depends on the show. A lot of old anime have little to no animation. However, modern shows are more prone to gimmicky things like jerky cameras and other annoying shit.

Nothing you're just being a faggot who don't know what he's talking about.

because its drawn with physical tools

Animation-wise, most of the anime today trumps the anime of old while artstyle-wise, I personally find older anime to be better.

It was hand drawn

>watching anime is a privilege

>recording anime on vhs any different from torrenting

ehh, I think the average anime today is animated a bit better due to the more streamlined methods. But the highs used to be higher.

OP BTFO

isn't this early 00s? are we pitting 3 decades against a single one now?

Because being on model and having a consistent high framerate are not everything there is to animation.

>Why is older animation feels nicer than current animation?
Because of this.

I can't believe Bulma's VA is gone. She was so young compared to Granny Goku.

Modern anime has been inbred over multiple generations worse than the Hapsburgs whereas older anime, though stylized, drew from real life and other forms of media as inspiration.

Miyazaki may be a memey old curmudgeon but he is right when he says that modern anime hates that which it attempts to portray. The modern anime industry is run by people just reiterating their take on other iterations.

I suspect in 20 years we will be dealing with nothing but shiny circles in different colors and shades.

Modern anime can look good, but when it's handled by shitty studios like Madhouse then it's pretty much guaranteed to look bad unless they hire a shitload of freelancers.

Confusion about animation/artstyle aside

Real inked lines look better, real paint looks better, real film looks better, designs created by animators who wish to emulate real women look better.

Japs either live to 100 or die at 35 from the flu/suicide. There is no in-between.

Direction in the right one is utter trash though.

Computer animation.
Korean Outsourcing.

Anime or American cartoons. It doesn't really matter when a lot of the animation has been shunted off to even cheaper workhouses in Korea for decades.

youtube.com/watch?v=F-ReoBPl4mM

I always thought Pierrot handled long running shows so much better than Toei. Early 90s yyh might not have had that much animation but it still looked great with its artstyle. While I hate Naruto the anime was handled fairly well and Bleach's animation just kept getting better as the show went on even when its cancellation was announced. Naruto and Bleach simultaneously airing for years were done better than Toei now with One Piece and Super, fuck both of those shows looked better than One Piece when that was all Toei had to worry about.

That's the point.

What are you talking about?

Because you are special snowflake who like certain color patterns and lighting so the only way your brain is trying to explain this is that one is better even though it's your personal preferences.
We've had this so many times, and it's should be obvious to anyone who is not nostalgiafag or just hipster trash that older anime is not anyway superior to modern, and no your personal preferences and feelings doesn't matter, just like cherrypicking does not prove anything, you want to take best example and present them as proof that old shit is superior? well same can be done to modern shit as well.
Korean outsourcing does not equals quality and doesn't really affect anything, anime is always being cheap shit and that was the main reason it's ever being succesful, it was proven by one of the shows that actually had no korean outsourcing, and still had a lot of awfully drawn frames, and I'm not evem talking about old crap that is also was full of thism even OP pic already seems off, just look at bulma face.
And computer shit does equal bad, unless you want to say that UFOtable works are terrible, it's all a matter of how good you are with something,

Because you are retarded.

They would be actually, its called movie budgets.

Reminder that 99fags will keep reposting this because the visual direction is the only redeemable part of HxH 99. Meanwhile, 11 does everything else better.

Ever wonder if the brightening of all the colors is the result of trying to appeal to a younger audience?

CELs grey out coloring inadvertently. CELs literally cannot reach the technical level of coloring in modern animation.

>higher saturation and contrast is more technical
What's your point? Modern animation still doesn't know what shading or lighting is. Even ignoring colors and shading in that HxH comparison the older one has far more interesting shot angles and composition. Old Spongebob looked better than modern Spongebob.

>it's should be obvious to anyone who is not nostalgiafag or just hipster trash that older anime is not anyway superior to modern
We should put that to the test by comparing feature film releases from the 1990s and 2010s.

you're an imbecile if you think modern dough-faced abominations are superior to the actual art direction of old.

I bet you jerk off to bean faces in american cartoons.

The point is that anime wasn't intentionally all grey and washed out when CEL was around. They literally couldn't do anything besides grey and washed out coloring because of the limitations of the medium.
So anime only being bright because kids is just wrong. They just have more freedom since they dumped CEL.

I know that's Satoshi Urushihara but what show is that?

I'm not even the children audience guy. I'm just pointing out how having the technical ability to make those brighter colors doesn't make it better. Even if the older anime was able to reach and did use those same colors they would still be vastly superior in every other aspect of art direction. Modern animation is extremely lazy not just in the work and man hours it takes to actually draw and animate the shit, but also the thought that goes into the art direction and how you want it to look which is just as important.

Which looks better?

youtube.com/watch?v=GrSupYpPwlg
youtube.com/watch?v=h_ej7ZlS2oQ

Animators actually cared about their work while today japs just have a few people do the outline and then handed down to their filipino sweatshops

Little movie called Plastic Little

>I'm just pointing out how having the technical ability to make those brighter colors doesn't make it better.
I wasn't even arguing one way or another. I was just pointing out that the colors of older anime wasn't an intentional choice, it was a limitation.

Fuck my ass, i remember now.

well he's made like 8 anime and it's not ikki tousen

Do you have any other examples? I don't know how, but Bulma is the only one who looks good no matter how she's drawn.

lol, because gundam IS shit

The current generations of directors and animators are overworked. They're stressed as fuck from having to work on three or four different shows with smaller budgets and shit pay. Anime in Japan is just like Animation in the West during the 80s: a gig people worked to earn a paycheck.

This.
The first generation pioneered the techniques and technology, the second generation got to use those to their fullest while creating their own with a fresh medium full of potential and passion, third generation, which we're in now, is just worn out and tired

I picked it because it was a Dragon Ball still that the OP posted.

Their own fault for refusing to hire competent managers and accountants to manage their finances and negotiate better deals with the producers.
Although, didn't almost all the studios except Kyoto Animation actually form a pact that they would all help each other out by giving each another small jobs to keep everyone afloat as much as possible?

B-B-But that's because they're lazy! If they worked faster, better and more efficiently they wouldn't crumble behind schedule!

Japanese businessmen are pretty greedy and petty. They make Frieza look reasonable.

Cockpits in older OVAs and series are comfier that's for sure.

Every second spent on useless endeavors like complaining on twitter about how much their working conditions suck is a second not spent working on the anime.
Animators should realize that nobody in the world actually gives a shit about them. What they're doing is working on a manchild entertainment industry, and most people aren't interested in being caught watching manchild entertainment, even if they secretly do watch and like it. So nobody will actually help them or speak out for them, because doing so would mean that you consume manchild entertainment shit like late-night anime.
That would make you a fucking loser, and thus means that you bring shame and dishonor to your family, which has worked its butt off to give you a good life. You disgusting loser. Die and commit seppuku while doing sudoku. Greatest dishonor.

Based Japanese businessmen outtricking the dumb anime studio presidents into accepting to work for a pittance.
That is capitalism in its finest form.
The Jews of Japan have won. Nazi samurais fighting women on the astral plane are weak and pathetic. They fear the Jews of Kadokawa and Shueisha.

>watching an old show at 1080p
>occasionally see dust or shadows on the cels as they animate

Japanese businessmen are dumb as bricks. They're the reason why the bubble burst and why the country has been in an economic decline.

The anime industry itself is doing fine, though. Especially for the Japanese businessmen who are now also expanding towards China and the West to make even more gorillions of dollars and yuans and yens.

in the first and second example there's clearly more detail in the 2011 version. besides, the 2011 version has better music, acting, pacing and directing

>too afraid to go home before boss
>have to go drinking with boss after work
>retarded long hours
>highly competetive education ruining childhoods
>men and women dynamic breaking down even more than it is in the west
>all for less than 1% economic growth
The nips do it to themselves, it's like they have no sense of self respect as human beings. I know it can be argued the US had some part in it, but it's been decades and generations have passed with this shit still happening.

>meanwhile, 11 does everything else better

Such as? Visual direction is one part of the equation but the straw that breaks the camel's back are 11fags asking why Kite was so important because 11 stupidly skipped over his scenes. 99's music, in tandem with the visual direction, also plays a huge part in setting up its better atmosphere. And that's ignoring the fact that visual direction is a pretty huge fucking part of anime, a visual medium.

If it is possible to meangifully say that one piece of art is better than another then it is possible to say that set of standard conventions are better than another. I personally think that visual directing, colour design and design work in general has gone way down since the early 90s for several reasons. Trying to just reduce someone with that opinion down to being a "nostalgiafag" instead of dealing with that opinion would just be like calling someone who preferred modern conventions some meme term instead of dealing with their opinion. It's dishonest.

Wasn't Vampire Hunter D done in digital though?

That looks beautiful.

I think we just brush off people this way because people who prefer older anime tend to be pretty insufferable. Dogmatic, elitist, overgeneralize the situation (anyone who actually looks over seasonal anime charts would see there's still quite a bit of variety in the anime world; I don't accept "ALL NEW STUFF IS SHIT" arguments when there's several seinen series each season, the diametric opposite of the SoL shows they probably hate). I wouldn't be opposed at all to an "old anime looked better" post if it was calm and dealt with actual facts and well-supported opinions. I have no doubt that such an argument is 100 percent possible, most "old anime only" people just prefer to conduct themselves as dickheads without making any substantial points.

I'm doing my part to make the old anime fags look like insufferable arseholes who don't know what they're actually talking about, use pretentious words and are just repetitive unfunny and dull shitposters.

Th-that's not nice. As much as I dislike nostalgiafags, there's tons of good older anime (I just love anime in general no matter what the decade).

Never mind, I think I might have misread your post. I thought you meant you falseflagged sometimes by pretending to be a typical nostalgiafag who just huffs and puffs instead of making actual arguments.

Perhaps I am , perhaps I'm not.

>people who prefer older anime tend to be pretty insufferable. Dogmatic, elitist,
then why do most Sup Forums users shy away from old anime?

>when there's several seinen series each season, the diametric opposite of the SoL shows they probably hate
This isn't about that kind of thing. Op posted a screencap of fucking Dragon Ball of all possible shows.

Have there been attempts to replicate older styles with modern technology?
As said we could have more vibrant colours while still maintaining the older artstyle. (You'd need a God-tier director to make sure the colours would still fit without looking rubbery)

I know one of the post 2000 gundams had an 80s style anime girl and she was smoking

sauce?

>not recognizing that show
>not being able to do a google search
Fuck off

Yes and I found it instantly. Stop being a lazy sack of shit.

If you tried you wouldn't be shaming yourself on an anonymous latvian bakery forum

Why watch old anime if there's new anime being aired, and more importantly, there's discussion happening for the new anime shows that are being aired right now?
Doesn't matter if it's really good or not, what matters is that there's a group of people who talk about it, and you can easily jump in and then partake in shit-, fun- and earnestposting.

Stop shitting up the board with your garbage

Because there is a lot of good old anime? Shitposting is fun, but that should never be the only reason to watch a show.

Anime was better when it was heavily influenced by American pop culture.

When America had movies that weren't shit and everything wasn't heavily politicized.

youtube.com/watch?v=-840keiiFDE

heavy politics ruined america.