Osomatsu-san

First volume sales are in. Stalker numbers were on point. 10,321 disks in first week. Still a huge blow compared to even the lowest selling volume of S1 which sold 33k in week one, but at least it isn't worse than we feared. It's still a financial success by the standards of any other anime.

What do you think happened? Is it because S2 took too long and all the hype from the first season died down? Is it because the writing in S2 dropped in quality and the fans just lost interest? Is it that there are other shows competing for the same fans this season and it's sales are going to them instead? Or could it be that the fans are too broke buying merch and paying microtransactions in the mobages to afford the BD/DVDs?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/magazine_pash/status/945934780868198400
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's shit

Last thread ended just when it was getting to cozy chats about dad Karamatsu. I'm not here for "what happened" stuff because I've talked about what's off about the writing in previous threads. Sales stuff is sales stuff and I don't care about that.

Don't get your panties in a twist, sales are also relevant to the show and it's a current subject of interest because the numbers just came out. If you want to talk about how you want to fuck Karamatsu because he reminds you of your dad you're free to do so.

It's not yuri on ice.

Fujo move on quickly.

This might actually be on to something. YoI seemed to change the fujo landscape. Maybe mild baiting and being the butt of jokes isn't enough for them anymore. I personally thought YoI was boring as fuck and that the characters were tame. I would assume some people who share my taste in Osomatsu-san would feel similarly, but maybe shipping is shipping to them and it's not so much about the show or genre.

>you want to fuck Karamatsu because he reminds you of your dad
...fuck.

Watching Osomatsu for fujobaiting is weird, there is not so much of it even if you put yaoi goggles on.

You have to appreciate it for the comedy first and then the shipping follows. The characters in Ososan are really likably in a relatable sort of way. And for a lot (not all) of female otaku the automatic inclination towards characters you like/feel attracted to is to ship them with another male character. It's not anything the show did to encourage it, it's just how a lot of degenerates react to an anime with a primarily male cast and no love interest.

Anyone gets merch/plan to buy merch with money you got from Christmas? I think I'm gonna spring for one of these snazzy wallets if they're still up for pre-order. Low-key, classy, and they look high-quality.

Best part of last episode. Choro is killing it this season.

I agree that YoI has probably forever changed how shows pander to fujos, but I don't watch Osomatsu for the incest potential. I watch it for the comedy and even accounting for memories being fonder on account of skipping dud skits, I am far less amused this season.

I can't get over the incest. If they weren't blood-related I'd be completely onboard with the ship wars.

Choro has improved a lot, yes.

Maybe that's why this season isn't as funny. Everyone has roles that are sharply defined now and must be adhered to. I appreciate the nuances they're adding but I'd rather bust a gut laughing than gain insight onto how Jyuushi acts with kids or Choro is a hypocrite for the 103423th time.

>Everyone has roles that are sharply defined now and must be adhered to.
Except they're not adhering to those roles at all. Just because characters have defined personalities doesn't mean they have to get stuck into the same routine. You flesh them out further by introducing those personalities to new situations. That's how sitcoms keep running on forever without ever changing cast, and some of them are amazing. But this season Matsubara's often opted to disregard the personalities he's built for them entirely. Some skits work, like the mixer episode or the Karamatsu episode. Choro has been interesting this season because they've been expanding on the character already built in S1 by adding layers of deliquentlessness and resentfulness without ever contradicting his established traits of hypocrisy and being a reluctant voice of reason. But then you have episodes like the Ichimatsu bedtime skit that don't even feel tangentally related to his character. It doesn't directly contradict his character, but it also didn't relate to anything we knew about him previously and it didn't add much dimension. It was a role better suited for Choro since he's the established nag of the family, but maybe Matsubara didn't want to repeat such a similar sketch with the same brother. I think it could have been fine, just treat it as a continuation of the first sketch, but if he had to change the focus to a character that didn't fit the role he should have just thrown it out. Then there was the lottery skit last episode. The only behavior we see that seems to result from the characters personalities comes in the beginning when Oso is begging Ichi to play with him and Ichi refuses. For the rest of the skit you could swap Kara and Ichi for Totty, Choro or even Oso and it would have played out exactly the same.

I think the bedtime skit was all just a too-long set up to Ichimatsu being an intimidating hall monitor at the end and everyone turning against Oso. Which worked well for him, but there were probably better ways Matsubara could have gotten to that pay-off without making him act like a whiny bitch during bedtime. For all the shitty things his bros do that could have pissed him off leaving the lights on late was pretty tame, and it's hard to feel that sympathetic towards Ichi about it since he could have easily slept in the closet or downstairs. But for Choromatsu, the self-appointed mom brother, it would make more sense.

>you want to fuck Karamatsu because he reminds you of your dad
He's not really like my dad. Though they'd probably get along very well. No need to be a "stop having fun guys" person.

I agree. It feels like they're either far too predictable, or all of their lines could be swapped. I want to learn more about them individually, and for that to not be dashed at a moment's notice. S1 was good with this, but S2 seems to throw those little consistencies out the window entirely, so it's harder to care.

they spent the first episode of this season mocking fujos and focusing on how the brothers are NEET virgins

idol shit is gone and even the girlymatsus barely showed up

>they spent the first episode of this season mocking fujos and focusing on how the brothers are NEET virgins
You think anybody cared about that? I haven't heard of a single person who was offended by that and wasn't a tumblrfuck. Japanese fans know to anime at their own risk, and jokes at the audiences expense test well over there. And it's not like the brothers being NEET virgins is a new development or something. It was kind of the main deal from the beginning. It's their whole appeal.
>idol shit is gone and even the girlymatsus barely showed up
But that's a good thing.

Maybe they want to make them more interchangable for some reason.

>I haven't heard of a single person who was offended by that and wasn't a tumblrfuck.
tumblrfucks are basically the osomatsu fanbase in japan
>It was kind of the main deal from the beginning. It's their whole appeal.
you're wrong
>But that's a good thing.
i am literally just pointing out why the BD sales are down

post dayon

It’s good to know he has at least one fan.

You really think F6 is the reason S1 sold. I hope you’re an idiot for both our sakes.

Actually a lot of Japanese fans were offended by the bad end matsus, unfortunately. To the point that lots of fanart of them on pixiv was removed as "hateful."

Low sales could also be because there wasn’t an event ticket bundled like Season 1.

If the staff really wanted to make sales, they should have included exclusive in-game items with each BD release just like Granblue Fantasy.

The show will make a profit, no doubt but it could have made much more just by bundling in more stuff such as tickets/gachas.

This is the only Dayon fanart I have.

What's your favorite matsu's secret fetish?

I don't think any of his fetishes are secret.

Osomatsu doesn't have a fetish so much as he'll fuck anything that moves and looks remotely feminine. It could be his own brother. He isn't picky.

Do you have siblings? It's easier to ship incest if you're an only child.

That's pretty meta. I kind of want that sweatshirt....

If it is a secret how would I know?

i think women is the reason S1 sold and i think S2 went out of its way to alienate women

personally i think it's a good thing tho, fuck women

first season was 80% hit and 20% miss. this season feels like 50/50. all of the meta celebrity stuff is really boring and as much as i love dayon/jyushi they are just pulling fast ones and calling it a day

>all of the meta celebrity stuff is really boring
yeah i still have no idea who the fuck shoei is

>Is it because the writing in S2 dropped in quality

We're not in the era of quality anymore. KF made it clear that we're in the meme era.

Osamatsu-san exhausted all its meme power. It's just a regular comedy series now.

Elevens love riding on fads when they're hot and they're equally keen to abandon the ship when the thing stops being relevant. Even 3DPD variety shows had Osomatsu-san related stuff back when the first season aired, but like usual, the hivemind forgets any thing (no matter how big) after a 6-18 month period.

That being said, that's how normalfags act, and the in the anime there's always hardcore audience that support what they love, regardless of its trendiness.

This. it's the definition of short term success vs long term one.

>KF made it clear that we're in the meme era.
KF unironically had a better written plot than 90% of anime this year.

I actually laughed at this week's episode

did anyone gif/webm the loop of naked dekapan chasing dayon in the lab?

>KF
excuse my ignorance for not recognizing what that stands for

Why does Oso like them so much?

Can you make it less obvious you're not from around here

Kemono Friends its a shitty looking show that has an okay plot, but blew up due to fan art.

He's just expressing himself through art.

has oso gone closet gay?

Nah I think he is just always horny.

But who's the horniest?

Choro even his brothers now he is a pro.

Expressing his own dick.

He's just got the mentality and sense of humor of a 10 year old, like Jyushi.

Guess she is never coming back hopefully.

Did you forget she's fucking Iyami now?

That was her sister or doppelganger.

Totty > Oso > Juice > Ichi > Choro > Kara
dick size

Put Jyushi before Todo and you got it, there is no way Jyushi doesn't have a monster cock

Poor Kara.

How in the world did S2 alienate women? Because it took a jab at them? Gintama has done several jabs at Fujos and they still eat that shit up.

Gintama barely sells anymore.

No wonder he is so flamboyant, imagine having to compensate for that thing

I must have a really shitty sense of humor because I keep seeing people say they've barely laughed but every episode this season has made me laugh. Even the shoei episode.

Dayonko was the only good girl, but she deserves better than Churro shit

I don't really get why everyone thinks Ichi was so out of character in the one where he's trying to sleep. I didn't think it was THAT out of character. I mean the only thing I can think of is that it's weird that he kind of took the abuse, and didn't lash out at them in the first place or just give up and leave the room. But it wasn't as far-fetched as everyone's making it out to be. Also when he became like a strict drill Sargent at the end, I thought that was pretty in character.

I never saw someone saying that he was out of character there. Just how the skit dragged for too long

Really? That's the number one complaint I see, alongside the length of it as you mentioned. There's always people bitching about how out of character he was.

He wasn't out of character honestly when he always shown to do drastic things you don't expect. They only speak up when it directly affects them in some way. Only Oso and Jyushi hardly give any fucks to say something. I am pretty sure he would have not said anything if it didn't affect him negativtly.

Several skits have dragged on way too long, but at least this one was sort of interesting to watch.

So you're saying that S1s massive success was because of bandwagonning normalfags that have since moved on, but that the sales we're seeing now are from the true fans that won't abandon it? That's actually a really positive way to put it. I wonder if an earlier S2 would have been able to nab more of those normalfag yens, then, or if S2 was always going to be yesterdays meme for them.

Juice is the one with the boner unending.

>shy qt with insatiable sexual appetite
really activates my almonds

Season 2 should have came way sooner then letting it stagnate. Still they kept it flowing with dumb events and collabs. The BD doesn't even have another event like Season 1 that alone makes it worth not really buying. Espically when most are already saving up money to buy figs and shit for this show. It might never reach that high point, but its no where close to being dead. Here is the latest collab if you haven't kept up.

twitter.com/magazine_pash/status/945934780868198400

You're wrong though, my dad is totally Ichimatsu.

your dad is a furry?

That's ridiculous. Only Japanese fangirls like F6, everyone else thinks they're shit. So them not being around is welcome. As for all the poop jokes thats just Matsubara being lazy.

I don't know why I'm replying though, sounds like someone has a chip on their shoulder anyway.

I don't know, and I don't want to know either, but I wouldn't be surprised. He's weird as fuck.

is this your dad?

I think this is the right answer to this whole mess. Ive seen aquaintences go "sorry Im not really into it that much" or even that they have no interest at all anymore. It baffles me that people can stop loving something they cared about so much, but it happens.

Im one of the odd ones in that I don't think the wait was too bad. However, I would think the writing would be better after such a wait. It pisses me off how the quality's gone down, and its not easy to ignore and tell myself "the boys are back" when the number of episodes I actually enjoyed I can count on one hand.

Jesus, I hope not.

No this is

>Only Japanese fangirls like F6
who do you think bought the BDs and shipped the matsus together

men?

>random gaijin hobo has a Ichi hoodie and I dont
Fucking worst timeline

Maybe G6 were more popular among the fujoshi buying discs than expected even if they didn't get much fanart?

I think I am the only guy in this thread.

It’s probably a shitty bootleg if that makes you feel any better.

Same honestly. I think there were a few REALLY good memorable moments in season 1 and that's what people remember the most, stuff like Todomatsu and the five demon level of funny, and people are expecting every episode of season 2 to be on that level. So far I haven't been disappointed in any episode, and they've all made me laugh. People say Shoei was the worst, or the one with Ichimatsu and Choromatsu, but they weren't that bad. I think the Jyushimatsu dolphin episode was my least favorite so far, but I didn't hate it and it was still funny but the only really good things I can think about it is seeing AV-chan again, and that song at the end. Maybe I'm just enjoying this stuff because it's really not hard to make me laugh at all, and I really enjoy seeing SOL stuff between the brothers, even when it's not hilarious, so stuff like the Nenchuu skit or Karamatsu being depressed about not being able to say no to his brothers is still really entertaining to me. So far my favorites this season have been the one where Totty takes Oso to the mixer, the one where they paint themselves, chibitas revenge, The one with the parents and I really enjoyed the Eitarou family. But all of the episodes have made me laugh or brought some type of enjoyment for me.

Which Matsu is the best for bullying? I can't decide they'd all be perfect.

I love kara bullying but I’m biased. Jyushi is the hardest to break so that might make him the most satisfying. Ichi and Kara almost make it too easy. Personally I don’t have much desire to bully nii-san. I haven’t seen much art of that either.

user we’re all little girls here.

Choro is made for the most intense sexual bullying and making him jizz his pants in public

Everyone except Jyushi for sexual bully.

Fundanshi exist, user. There are plenty in this thread. Not every matsu fan who is female ships them together or is an anti.

>Oso bully would be just jabs at his terrible life choices
>Kara would be his dumb shit since he gets too full of himself
>Choro is great for light hearted teasing
>Ichi can't handle anything
>Jyushi you would just need to pay a kid to point out his obvious flaws
>Todo deserves to be ignore because he shouldn't exist and the world would be better off without him

Season 2 is better and is just flopping because there isn´t enough gay fanservice

>>Ichi can't handle anything
Ichi has a do M side, I'm sure being bullied by a pretty girl would turn him on big time

Bullshit. People with yaoi goggles on all the time see any interaction whatsoever as fanservice.

Yes I remember everyone stating that, but so far they have shown nothing of the sort.

some are more obvios than others

Not that user, but in ep 25 he said "I'm okay with just watching!" Ichi wants to be cucked.