Anime Art Shifts

Post anime series that have had art styles and direction change.
I'll start.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdWuc_xyC-UWtGg8ggysCDBkTg5NencWZ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Why are the old character designs so much better?

Rin's character design in particular was god awful in the Ufotable version.
Ufotable's version would have been perfect if their character designs weren't so shit.

Weren't these made by the same people, too?

I think this is unfair for the 2011 anime since the quality in 1999 fluctuates between awful and great, with most of it being mediocre visually.

Same director, art director, and character designer. All of the changes in Ashita no Joe art style are mostly up to trends in anime, budget, and the team just getting more experience.

Shit taste

If you like rhino nose Rin you need to off yourself.

I remember when the designs for S2 were first revealed and everyone (me included) were disgusted and thought it looked like shit
Then the season actually started and it looked ten times better. Looking back at S1 I just wondered how we all thought it looked good at all. Based Feel.

Also I couldn't find it, but there should also be one comparing the first season to the second

Jesus christ

S2 has a more K-ON feel (I don't know if that makes sense)

Who's the guy on the right?

Damn that shot with Ed removing his coat looks miles better in the original compared to Brotherhood. Most of them Brotherhood looks better though

I think the colours and composition are better in the original.

S1 artstyle fluctuated so much, it was all over the place.

Dem bones

Fuck off shill, S2 looked like soul-less trash and literally killed the community on Sup Forums and WW's interest in it.

The problem with DEEN is that while their designs, on a concept level, can look quite alright, in execution, they look awful.

Pic related is from the opening scene of episode 1 of Fate 2006.

And this is seconds later. A HUGELY uneven level of quality.

Never liked how overly glossy DEEN made Rin's hair look.

God, DEEN Rin when she was on model is beautiful. Better than the rhino abomination we got from Ufotable

I know people meme about how ugly UBW 2010 is, because of that one Archer vs Lancer scene, but overall, I think it's a visually decent movie.

The opening 15 minutes are legitimately good.

Shame about, like, everything after.

I think it's a visually mediocre movie. Because I believe that, as a movie, made to be shown in theaters, a movie that would naturally generate a much larger profit than a couple episodes of a TV show, I believe that it should look fucking better than that. Because the quality of DEEN's Unlimited Blade Works movie is roughly on the same level as, or perhaps just a bit higher than, what one would expect from a decently animated TV show.

I suppose it depends on what expectations you have.

I genuinely don't hate the 2006 anime. It's alright. Tells the story it's trying to tell well enough. A 6/10 in my book.

But man, the fights in that show were basically nonexistent. I don't even know how to describe it. Like, sub-weekly shonen levels of choreography, and ability to keep you engaged on just a visual level. There are so many scenes with just characters floating with just speedlines behind them. At least from what I remember.

UBW 2010 does have some decently animated fights. The Berserker fight right at the beginning I think is probably the best interpretation of that scene ever animated, which is saying something, since it's been animated at least four times.

Maybe it's my fault for expecting more out of a fucking movie. But goddamnit it's a fucking MOVIE.

Oh, it's a very bad movie, overall.

But seven years on, and so many fucking Fate adaptations, I kinda look at it as this oddity. What's funny is watching the film, and then the 2014 series, and seeing how Ufotable specifically would do things differently from the movie, when they really didn't have to. They were cognizant that it existed, even if TM wants to brush it under the rug.

What did they do different? I don't remember much of the finer details.

Well, one example is like the Berserker fight, which I brought up.

In the 2010 movie, he was slow, and hulking, and carried this heavy weight to his movement, while the 2014 series made that fucker fast as shit. He was doing some breakdance moves in that fight. A really wild contrast.

Also some other things, that might relate to censorship. Like, I wouldn't blame you if you missed it, cause this frame was super quick, but this was how Rider got killed in the film. Kinda brutal.

In the show, her neck got snapped.

Also, another obvious one. Illya's death.

Film Version.

Kyon.

TV version.

Note: This is an edited webm that cuts out a few different shots and moments, since this was a much longer scene in the show.

Herakles is supposed to be absurdly fast and agile for his size. I mean, his AGI is ranked A for a reason.

Not saying anything against it. I just find it interesting, since they did things differently.

TV version is more true to the VN. Gilgamesh does indeed slash Illya's eyes in the original story before taking her heart.

I didn't notice that the first time I watched the movie, that's pretty brutal.
Anyway my biggest gripe with the movie isn't really the animation, but that they rushed the story too much. I mean I can't really blame them because its hard to fit a 20+ hours route into a 1 and half hour movie, but the whole time I thought that If I had watched it without previously reading the novel I wouldn't have understood jack shit.

In this case, I'd say it's more like DEEN misunderstood the characters and scenes, whereas Ufotable chose to be more faithful.

>Sup Forums shill word
WW changed the character design to match the anime counterpart, Yukino in vol 1 looked like a loli.

Prepare for one of the worst shifts in art direction ever. They don't even look like the same characters. I fucking love Gunslinger Girl but refuse to watch S2 because this is just awful. The show isn't support to be so cutesy

I've been avoiding the show since i've heard the 2nd season is awful.
Does Season 1 wrap up satisfyingly enough to stand on its own?

Detective Conan. It shifted to everyone becoming rhinos whenever you see a side view of them.

Movie version is more akin to the VN, back when he was more of a chaotic villain. Also absurd amounts of blood cause why not.

TV version is in the era where nearly every material since FSN has tried to paint Gilgamesh in a more likable light (CCC, FGO). It's still very brutal of him (the eye cut was unnecessary), but he seems to derive no pleasure from the act rather than a sadist about it in the VN and Deen movie.

Fate 2006 unironically looks better art wise, it's just the animation that's shit.
Also the music is fuggin amazing in 06, literally some of my favorite anime music.

Ruined Sword of Promised Victory though.

I'm glad I just read the manga for Gunslinger Girl so I didn't have to deal with sudden art shifts yet still got to appreciate how much the artist improved over the course of the series.

Yeah, I'd say so. I wanted more at the end but not because of some retarded cliffhanger, I just really enjoyed the show.

The ones on the right don't even seem to have any emotion. That's what's so jarring about it.

UBW 2014 has some of the most interesting anime music I've heard. There's /hours/ of it. Way more than most anime. The problem is, more than half of it wasn't put on an album.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLdWuc_xyC-UWtGg8ggysCDBkTg5NencWZ

This is the only alternative I've seen to hear the unreleased stuff.

I was thinking about reading it. Going to be weird know that some of the scenes/chapters were done in a different order in the anime vs manga

Do it. It's a really great manga, was fun to read and it got really intense and sad towards the end.

06 looks ugly though

someone post the page where the hxh guy stopped giving a fuck

The one with the turkey? I don't have it saved.

Might as well post this one again. Not that S2 was awful but I preferred S1's character designs and the general aesthetics.

source?

gay niggers from outer space

The aesthetic really is the only thing the first season did well. It truly did look like the manga animated

I've watched it twice and it is definitely not the source

Terraformars, but the similarities will shock you

I don't normally listen to MAL but why does this have such a shit score?

Thank fuck for 2013, sure 2008 might be more true to the manga style but 2013 had amazing art direction and gave us the best fight scenes in anime history.

Probably the professional job they did at censoring the TV version

Direction aside I thought the music, courtesy of Shusei Murai, was also fantastic and helped hold the show up when the animation floundered, which it did often. His music blew the second season's out of the water apart from its two OPs, though I still like AMAZING BREAK more.

And as much as the first season cut out some of the lighter moments (especially with Adolf) I think they handled the comedic moments with a bit more confidence, whereas the second season kept punctuating scenes with super-deformed character heads in speech bubbles.

>Sup Forums out of no where
Kill yourself and the LN art changed to match season 1.

Rin is shit and Ufotable reflected this accurately.

>Fate 2006 unironically looks better art wise
True happiness is realizing that terrible opinions like this will never influence anime because of how bad they are.

rood

Still kinda bitter about this one

The goth girl (male) looks like absolute shit on 2012

Art is normally better in older anime, as in this case. But animation is probably worse.

That's probably because the context is much different. In the original, it was a dramatic shot establishing that Ed had a metal arm, while in Brotherhood the viewer had already seen it in the previous episode.

Fuck my life, such stupidity.

Let me just say that I hate this decade's trend of seeing how limp they can make twintails look.

Gil still seems to have a very smug and self-satisfied smirk immediately afterwards though.

Really, fuck Nasu decided "he a gud boy, he didn du nuffin! tha gods made him mad!"

And overall, I like the source material Gil as a noble if arrogant figure. But there's no need to take a nice, arrogant bastard villain version of him and keep trying to make him a saint.

I mean Nasu sure as fuck hasn't eased up on how badly Artuiria fucked up her entire kingship.

Gilgamesh is never a Saint. He just has a different demeanor depending on which stage of his life you take him from. Also, his mood changes considerably depending on his environment.

As for Saber, you've clearly never read anything about Garden of Avalon. To begin with, Saber was always considered a "perfect king".

He's never really pushed that angle with Artoria though. In fact, not only was Camelot doomed no matter what, she did the absolute best job that she could have.

It always bugged me, but with Merlin being clairvoyant - doesn't that kinda edge into a self-fulfilling prophecy territory?

Reminder that this is the only redeemable part of HxH 99. HxH 11 does everything else miles better.

Hachiman looks handsome in the LN, no where close to S1 stylization.

Same art style, but has much better lighting.

Man this really shows how much I fucking hate UFO table's direction. Too much reliance on overproducing the shit out of it. And why the fuck are they so in love with making everything feel cold? there's like 0 warmth anywhere in their shit.

disagree honestly. UFO table's shit is mostly heavily overproduced, but the lighting in DEENs is much nicer imo. Especially for the Saber summoning. DEEN's turns her into a light source, which gives that "radiance" that she's described with in the scene. UFO table just turn her fucking blue.

Artist changed his style

Why did they retcon FSN?

>bottom
Saber is not even looking at Shirou