Kino no Tabi

Now that the dust has settled, what did you think of the new 2017 adaption?
Did it meet your expectations, did it exceed them, or did it not even come close to reaching them?
Would you want to see a second season?

Other urls found in this thread:

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=66476096
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I liked the first episode. The couple of next ones I kind of just didn't like and now it's sitting here unfinished.

Solid contender for worst 2017 show I watched

Sounds like you outgrew anime

I honestly hated it. Maybe I don’t like Kino anymore.

It was okay.
While i still like the 2003 version better the final episode really made the whole series worth it, comedy gold it was

Pretty good, whats the news there in japan? Any chance for a S2?

Episodes with the Liars and Photo were poopoo
The first 3 were pretty damn good
The rest was all right

The 2003 version is in my all time top 10 and I thought the new version was absolute garbage.

I'm guessing it's pretty popular since such a niche series got a themed café, re-released Good Smile Company figure, and Blu-Rays seem to be selling good.

Nice.

Season 2 doesn't really seem all that farfetched at this point despite all the negativity that western audiences are giving it.

I feel this exact same way. It's so bad that it makes me think that I only ever enjoyed parts of the old series for the style, because the stories are so incompetent.

What if Kino was a boy. Would the story change?

The LN still ongoing? With it being finished, they might not want to produce a second season since it might divert sales or the stories turn into shit if they are going anime original stories. I understand its two different media but you never know what the IP owner are thinking.

most of the complaints i've seen comparing it to the '03 version are "why isn't it shitty enough"

7/10. Not as good as the original of course, which is a 9/10.
Also ep. 11 would have been a perfect ending, and have 12 be 10, and 10 be 11.

>The LN still ongoing?

Thanks user, looks like buttload of stories left to adapt.

As much as I love the '03 adaption, you're so right about that.
Just a bunch of people complaining that it doesn't have a drab color palette, scan lines, ambiguous messages, and just a bunch of trivial shit.

Nope boring shit, and this further reinforces the fact that Gigguk has shit taste in anime considering he's the reason I tried this out.

Damn. I'm convinced now!

Definitely high up there in adaptations, most impressive was having the afterword in it as part of the ED. My only real complaint from the beginning was the character design choice for Kino, but even that eventually was fixed. Character design for all the characters were all really good and very spot on. Story selection was pretty good as well, only issue there was Jungle Rule and Land of Liars, and it's a result of them putting Land of Adults last, but we really needed a story about Kino training with Master.
Voices were all good, I really had doubts about Aoi at first but she pulled it off very well. Hermes as good as well, not too high pitched, and his tone and manner of speaking was great.
Anyway the whole thing seems pretty set up for a second season, sales don't seem too bad, of course it all depends on when another LN is released, and if this made a dent in LN sales. I would gladly welcome a second season, lots of good stories to do now that all the background stuff is out of the way.

Some stories I would like to see in season 2
>Land of Heroes
>Land with a Diva
>Land with Shizu's one man Seven Samuari
>Life goes On
>The bomb making class chapter
>Master and Partner training that country for an invasion
>Or Master with those castaways in the hidden valley
Oh and definitely
>Land of criminals (the "twin" killers)

I'd like to see more of the frontipiece chapters fine too, but I understand the lack of time. With any luck the next season is 2 cours, since something like Land with a Diva cannot work with less than 2 episodes. Also I do want to see more of the shorter stories done, like the various countries episode it kinda gives you more bang for your buck. I don't only want to see the "grander" chapters done, but with the amount so limited...
There are just so many stories but so little time honestly.

>Kino ’17 v1 sells 2,730 as a BD-only release. 40.1% underestimated.

>Land of women
I am intrigued by this.

If they adapted those stories that you listed then I could die a happy man.
I feel like there's plenty of time to adapt more & more as time goes on. Eight stories adapted across another twelve episodes sounds like it could be easily doable if the the director can handle pacing the longer stories evenly enough across two episodes like you suggested.
It would also be nice to see the longer ones adapted into short films in between seasons, saving the episodes for more stories/frontispieces.
As for frontispieces, I personally would like to see A Tale of a Sniper or the the one where Partner begins to talk about morality and the frailness of human life with Master while they're surrounded by the dead bodies of bandits that they had just killed. Both of those would be great openers for the second season.

At this point we just have to hang tight and wait to see what happens.
I've got my fingers crossed.

Artistically speaking it felt very uninspired, just slightly above your average LN adaptation but nothing special.

Story wise it was very hit or miss. I think I enjoyed about half of the stories and hated the other half.

Overall it was ok, but I don’t see myself rewatching this anytime soon. If S2 happens I would like a new director and better selection of stories.

Ranked and underestimated sales.
That's good, right?

This. I thought that maybe the director finally at least figured out how to make it look decent (I've given up on the story telling aspect) after Sakura's episode, but holy shit the last episode was offensively bad. It could have been a good comedy episode if it was tongue in cheek enough, but that was just fucking horrible.

>despite all the negativity that western audiences are giving it.
But despite liking the LNs and the series in general, plenty of Japanese disliked this anime for it's shit production quality. If you can go into a thread on 2ch and only half the posts are a simple "Yeah I liked it" or "X character was cute" and the rest are mostly criticizing it, that's usually as far as they go in terms of hating something unless it's meme-tier in terms of making jokes about it. Nips don't ever complain even if something is riddled with flaws, they just keep saying "I think it was nice."

You've go to keep in mind that Sup Forums, 2ch, etc. are just a vocal minority compared to the masses that eat mediocrity up.
We tend to be overly critical and unfair when it comes to judging anime/manga.
Any negativity from us or the Japanese on imageboards need not be taken seriously when it comes to determining a series' popularity or success.

>You've go to keep in mind that Sup Forums, 2ch, etc. are just a vocal minority compared to the masses that eat mediocrity up.
The people on 2ch are also a lot more likely to actually spend otakubux on this stuff compared to the people who just watch some late night anime on TV and casually enjoy whatever mediocre or downright bad show they watch.

>We tend to be overly critical and unfair when it comes to judging anime/manga.
Not at all, we just actually like the medium and watch it enough (or at least we used to before this board was overrun) that we can be critical about it and explain what we like and don't like.

>need not be taken seriously when it comes to determining a series' popularity or success.
You might have a point if the anime business model wasn't "sell a few BDs and units of merch at insanely high prices to an incredibly niche market." Since that is the business model, your post is just wrong.

I don’t know why I expected it to be as good as the second season of Mushishi, but it wasn’t.

In the end, it was just kind of nice, but not really good. Allison to Lillia tier.

Didn't like it that much. Only really liked the first episode and the ex-President who was a good guy because he wanted to kill someone.

most of the episodes of the original had something specific it wanted you to think about.
aside from two or three episodes the new series just felt like a collection or random stories with no real impact. like that episode with the guy in the cottage, it was a neat love story, but that was all it was.
comparing that to stories like the country where everybody does redundant work, or the ruins of an absolute democracy. it's basically a different show.

Not everything needs a message or something heavy to think about, there's nothing wrong with less focused and more lighthearted stories. The problem is that you still need good visual presentation and a talented director, which this series just didn't have.

sure, but 10 out of 13 of the 2013 series did have those philosophical undertones, thus the thought that it feels like a different show. which is disappointing enough on it's own.

You know, I kinda feel the same as I felt back when I watched GiTS:SAC after watching the 1995 Ghost In The Shell first. The story itself is ok to good, but the first adaptation has been crafted by a visionary, so the second one feels kind of bland, lacking and uninspired?

Pretty disappointing overall. It didn't have the same magic 2003 did.

Is Kino waifu material?
I see a lot of anons trying to dig up a lot of subtle implications and grasping at straws in order to form her into something that she may or may not be, depending on their own desires.
So now I'm curious if base Kino is someone you'd personally want to travel with, date, and be in a long term relationship with.

It was a good adaptation. It just happened to go with some of the lamer stories.

A Land That Disappeared and A Land That Dies Everyday sound very interesting.

It gave me a weird feeling. Like listening to a genius person trying to tell me a great, high-concept story, who is also often at loss for words and a stutterer. So I'm pretty conflicted.

I didn't watch the old series nor read any of the novels.

got bored and its on infinite backlog with mahotsukai yome at some point ill finish it but no rush.

pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=66476096

>I didn't watch the old series
Do that.

Thought it kind of sucked desu. Did NOT like the reliance and overuse of CGI, either.

Learn to draw vehicles, Japan.

Oh, I plan to. But watching the new version first will probably be the best way to enjoy both series without making one of them be a disappointment.

That's only first week for frst volume, and the first volume is usually the highest selling one. The average will most likely be around 2-2.5k which is mediocre

The new series doesn't matter. You only watch it for Aoi Yuki's voice. The old one absolutely destroys it in every other way.

It's cheaper to hire some shitty CG studio than to train actual animators to draw vehicles or do mechanical animation. It truly is a tragedy.