Why does mecha anime have such a high barrier to entry?

Why does mecha anime have such a high barrier to entry?

Because it is the most abstract form of entertainment Japan's ever produced on-screen

what?

People seem to think that mecha is only about giant robots and nothing else.

The giant robots are usually just a simple background where a plethora of different subjects will be touched upon.

And thus the genre gets really varied and it's hard to pinpoint something that will please someone.

Patlabor Movie 1 is the best entry in the genre. I want more news on what EZY is going to be.

This a thousand times! They're for selling shitty plamos as-well!

Because a lot of them are terrible aside from the cool robots which most gaijin don't give a shit about.

Why is EVA the only one that tries semi-realistic organic mechas?

The fucken flying knight-mechas with swords got old after the very first one.

eva is shit new fag

ever heard of nausicaa

Replace 00 with Orphans.

replace patlabor with code geass faggot

shitty pedo thing made by miyazaki? What about it?

jesus i will split your head man

>replace patlabor with code geass faggot
what a fucking faggot

>08th
>not ibo shit

Am I mistaken? I don't believe so. Why the hostility? Miyazaki is just making money dude. He doesn't need your help. He doesn't even know you and will never care for you unless you're ten years old and female

yeah its bretty gud

its not really a mecha

Well you can have entirely robotic mechs that aren't knights with swords. I agree though. I like Eva's mechs a lot, their design and stuff. I don't know why Patlabor is on OPs list though. Seems every time someone posts this image there's another series on it. Soon there will be no legitimate mech shows according to Sup Forums and /m/.

Just go to this thread and you will see that Patlabor is every pleb numale's favorite/only mecha

I guess they should have their charts filled with flying robot knight anime instead.

Dunbine and all Tomino shows are better than Soylabor.

>Soybine
>Soymino

Patlabor is a workplace comedy that just happens to have mechas. Except for the few odd episodes when it is an urban fantasy show that just happens to have mechas.

So what's up with Gundam OVAs and MASSIVE fucking tonal shifts after director changes? It's like they don't even fucking attempt to keep shit consistent.

A show with mechs is a mech show. I haven't watched the TV show but the manga focuses more than the OVA on the mechs and so does the first movie. A series doesn't have to be exclusively mech fights to be a mech series. Most mech shows aren't like that.

not really, while knowing the lore helps going into a series blind still works,
i mean i enjoyed thunderbolt and unicorn and i dont know jack about the rich universe of teenagers beat other teens in giant tin cans