She was pretty

Why didn't she have a boyfriend?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonances
youtu.be/Q_d-dRXi05s
cjas.org/~leng/o2klain.htm
psx.lain.pl/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

She was anischeral, no normal boy wants to touch someone like that.

She's like 10
She isn't very social.
Probably smells
She wears a fucking bear hat.

She don't smell

What is anischeral?

I can't make any sense of it either, must have been for allegorical purposes

She's too pure unlike her sister and her lewd friend.

>he doesn't know what anischeral means
Get with the times, grampa.

What said, plus the whole "Lady of the Wired" thing can be a turn-off for whatever reason.

Please tell me!

Lain is hot

Lain is not for lewd!

Yeah, user. I also get an erection for abstract shit. Texhnolyze really gets me cock going, matey.

But she did.

Serial Experiments Potato

Lain needs my dick

Yoshii was so sexy.

She doesn't bathe, that's for sure.

Lain is stinky! She smells like butt!

Bear suits are generate a lot of heat

There's a Lain doujin at C93. She's quite hot.

You can't date a computer program. At least that's what mommy told me.

You watch this show and this is what you think about?

This.
The fuck is wrong with you OP?

I just finished this. So, she was god all along ?

OP didn't seem to understand

Internet God.

Then how did she exist in the real world ? Or was it ALL in the internet ?

what the fuck does anischeral mean all that comes up on google is archived Sup Forums threads of people asking if Lain is "anischeral"

Didn’t Taro hit on her?

It's a forced pasta, anischeral is just a made up word for autism.

A nominally 'real' world exists in which lain is a girl. But the nature of the wired is such that people themselves connect to the internet rather than merely being users of devices connected to it. And since Lain is internet god, she can in effect disrupt what's perceived as real.

... so in effect she's the god of perceived reality, though not of physical reality if the distinction is relevant for you.

Because Eiri gave her a human body

The wired and the real world were connected because the new wired protocols interacted with the schuuman resonance. She existed in both as a function to close shut the gap between the two.

Nah it wasn't Eiri. Eiri's thing was unlocking immortality by introducing a code to the wired which allowed a person to upload "themselves" at such a frequency that you could exist within the Schumann Resonance band. You can read about Schumann Resonance here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schumann_resonances
Basically, if you don't know or don't feel like reading, the Schumann Resonances are self-replicating, extremely low frequencies of Earth's magnetic field spectrum. They are generated by lightning strikes, and as such are permanent feature of the planet Earth. Eiri speculated that by uploading your consciousness here, you would become immortal, as these fields are permanent. By becomming pure energy, you would no longer need a physical body, and so people who went through with his plan would end up killing themselves. However, since they gained immortality through this method, they could continue affecting the wired, and thus, living people by reaching out to them through the wired. Eiri was the first to kill himself after uploading the code which made this possible, and it's why in the first episode that girl killed herself and could still communicate with her classmates through email.

The Knight of the Eastern Calculus are the ones who brought Lain into the physical world. Lain's parents were Knights members doing their job. It's unclear if her sister was a Knights member, or just some orphan they had custody of. Either way, the events of SEL drove her insane, unfortunately.

The Knights brought Lain to the real world and wiped her memory in order to get her to join them in their mission. Along the way however she learned of what Eiri did. She also learned of what the Knights were planning with her. In the end, she rejected both of them, proving that her will (though she was born spontaneously in the wired) was strong enough to overcome the conditioning placed on her. This is why in the end, she reset the past few months she lived through.

Lain's family being knights explains how they set the parasite bomb in her system so easily, but I don't remember them ever showing up on the list of knights that Lain released to the world. I thought that it was just that the knights messed with her sister's brain to make her set the parasite bomb and in the end she went nuts from it.

Eiri literally said he gave Lain a body after he found her floating in the wired. That's how Lain became human. After Eiri uploaded himself, Tachibana ordered Lain's dad to keep her safe. The Knights were with Eiri, Lain's dad was not, and all Knights members were killed later. The Knights are just goons that share Eiri's ideology, Eiri was the mastermind. Lain's family are just normal people. Her sister and mom don't like her because she was forced into the family because of her dad's job. They probably didn't know the extent of her importance. Her sister was stuck between the real and wired by the Knights, and her body was turned into a spy device for them to keep watch on Lain.

Lain's sister probably did the bomb, because at that point she was a Knights shell.

What would sex with Lain be like?

You'd probably die because she'd fuck with your electrical impulses unintentionally and shut down your heart and fry your brain with all the physical contact.

If it was evil Lain she'd have wild brainmelting sex with you then publish footage of it all over the wired.

sounds hot

>Eiri literally said he gave Lain a body after he found her floating in the wired
You shouldn't believe everything that Eiri says. He wants Lain on his side to recognize his true goal: control. He wanted to become the God of a new class of people, those that followed him into immortality in the wired. In episode 12 he makes his true intentions known. He believes himself to be a God, the one who is leading his followers to this new "afterlife" he has created. Lain, however, rebukes him. She questions what sort of God he is exactly, having no physical form anymore, and no direct control over the people he wants to lord over. He's been having trouble convincing others, with his only known follower being Chisa. Lain enrages him by asking how someone can be a God if there is no one to whorship that God. By denying Eiri contact with the physical world, this starved him of followers in the wired, which enraged him to the point of attacking Lain. However, he did not grasp that she existed in both the wired and the physcial worlds, and could attack him from both angles.

The Knights have no connection to Eiri or the Tachibana corporation. You should note the distinction here in that Eiri didn't care about a person's physical self at all. He had no use for it, and only wanted the person in order for them to transfer their consciousness over into the wired. The Knights, however, did not follow Eiri's vision. They all existed in the physical world, but needed Lain in order to command a following in the physical world. That is why they gave her a physical body, and wiped her memory. They sought to lure her to their "team" in the physical world which would then result in her wired personality coming to their side as well. However, this backfired once Lain realized what was happening and how they were trying to use her for their own benefit.

Eiri wanted her on her side and that's why he initially lied and said he made her as a program. When he starts freaking out when she rejects him, he says in a rage that he actually found her in the wired and gave her a body. Chisa being a follower kind of explains the beginning, but I believe that Chisa never contacted Lain in the first place after killing herself, and that it was the Knights impersonating her. When Lain meets her later, Chisa says that suicide isn't good, which is a huge contrast to what email Chisa was saying. The Knights do have a connection to Eiri, and it's explicitly said so. There's no real direct evidence that the Knights had anything to do with Lain being given a human body.

That sounds like an ideal way to pass away, honestly.

Link?

There's really no evidence that Eiri was involved with the Knights at all. His focus was on his protocol which allowed people to sync with the wired through the Schumann Resonances. He wants nothing to do with the physcial world other than to draw in followers who will come join him in immortality. He considers himself a God in this space, and thus must stay in contact with the physical world in order to continue to attract followers. Chisa coming to regret her actions is a consequence of this. She followed Eiri after becomming disillusioned with life, only to join him in the wired and realizing that this existence was just as flawed as her physical existence. This is a major theme of SEL, in that we need to recognize that life is imperfect in all of its forms, whether they exist online or in the real world. There is no perfect existence waiting for us, each has its tradeoffs. It's one of the reasons why SEL was so ahead of its time for the late 90s. I'll continue this next.

Consider the grotesque form Eiri takes on when he manifests himself into the physical world. It's clear from there that he has no true ability to fashion an actual person like Lain, when he can barely even manage to manifest his own person back into the physical world.

I don't doubt that Eiri may have encountered the wired Lain after he commited suicide. However, there was nothing he could do with this being in that state. She had no memories of mortal life, and had never had a physical body. He had no control over her because he had no superiority over her. His control over others stemmed from his work while he was physical. He was a God because he gave people with physical bodies an eternal life in an immaterial world. This is why he suddenly took interest in Lain once she became physical. She was another link in the chain which would cement his status in the wired. A man who was once physical and now immaterial, together with a girl who was once immaterial and then physical.

(cont)
One of the main messages of SEL is, as I said, the recognition of a duality which exists between our own lives in the real world, and our lives on the internet. Even though the internet was in its infancy in the late 90s, these problems were evident to people paying attention at the time. Online, a person has complete control over what is shared, and at the same time, no control over what feedback they get. Consider early BBS message boards. Instantly, a person was connected with a global audience ready to weigh in with comments and critiques. Anything you shared was forever broadcast out to the world. This was something new, that many people didn't know how to deal with. Suddenly, things you shared were available for anyone to read and comment on. This is vastly different from how human society had evolved previously. Before, people shared life experiences and stories with close friends and coworkers. But now, these life experiences could be spread to an audience of strangers around the globe. As we've seen, this quickly resulted in a superficial culture which shares only highlights of life and suppresses the harsh realities. You can see this yourself just by reading any social media site for a few minutes. We share the good and hide the bad, we comment nice things and (generally) keep the mean comments to ourselves. But what does this create? A network of positivity which completely erases any of the hard realities of life. It's not fun to share your struggles or hardships, but it is easy to share you fun and excitement.

Linking this all back to SEL, this is what Chisa experienced when she killed herself and came to the wired. She thought an end to her problems in the physical world awaited her, but she was wrong. Her excitement at leaving everything behind for eternal life in the wired was quickly replaced by her realization that it was not as rosy as she expected.

Literally did nothing wrong.

It's wrong to fap to Lain,. People who get off to ideas of doing pic related to Lain should prostrate themselves before pictures of her on the Internet and beg her for forgiveness.

AKA, a cautionary tale of the echo chamber that is the Internet.

If it were made today, it will open the minds of count less people while making Gatchaman Crowds more of a fucking Joke

I would have to rewatch for exact quotes, but the Knights are repeatedly throughout the series stated to have the same beliefs as Eiri, and according to my old research notes on Lain, in Layer 10 Eiri directly refers to the Knights as being his followers. I agree with a lot of what you are saying about thematic material, but we differ on what actually happened in series. A lot of my mapping of what happened depends upon the Knights and Eiri working together, and a lot of the fuckery being intentional attacks on Lain in order to make her miserable and docile to the idea that she needs to connect everybody. I also disagree with the amount of importance you're placing on the internet, as Ueda has said in an Anime Jump interview that the wired was simply a medium for the story to take place in response to inquiries about how Lain predicted current internet. The PSX game along with all the metaphysical discussion in the anime seem to solidify Lain's thematic content as related to embracing humanity (antitranshumanism), loneliness and a lack of connection to other human beings over duality between the real and wired. The game was very much about psychology and explored Lain as she progressively broke down in loneliness until she decided that she needed to kill herself to live in the wired and connect to everybody. Then you get access to files where she talks to you and expresses how dearly she wants to experience human connection and the life of a normal human girl. The anime seems to be a new setting and plot direction that was taken that for whatever reason failed to really explore the psychology and loneliness outside of subtle references/

Honestly though, what the fuck happened to her sister?

>>>/leddit/

Isn't there a PS1 game of this?

I have a feeling that we'll have more information on Lain if someone bother to scanlate it.

youtu.be/Q_d-dRXi05s

cjas.org/~leng/o2klain.htm

>mika became a victim of the wired. lain started delving into the wired, so did mika, and mika got stuck in this nether world in between, so while she still exists in the physical world, anything she says and does is kind of like a fax, it just comes out, but it's not actually her because her self is still kind of stuck in the wired, so her existence is kind of like a puppet state.

Because of Taro's involvement and the Knights insignia, it is hinted that the Knights were behind it.

There is. 700 pages.

psx.lain.pl/

psx.lain.pl/

Which Lain is the best Lain?

There is only one Lain

>according to my old research notes on Lain, in Layer 10 Eiri directly refers to the Knights as being his followers
If you actually have notes on the series I might be at a disadvantage here. But I always find these discussions about Lain to be a lot of fun, so you can decide if you want to keep going or just to ignore me I guess. I never played or read into the PSX game either, though I should do, I suppose.

But I agree with you here:
>Lain's thematic content as related to embracing humanity (antitranshumanism), loneliness and a lack of connection to other human beings over duality between the real and wired.
I believe that Eiri and the Knights both embraced a philosophy of transhumanism, however, I believe they were working independently of each other (and at times, working against each other). I don't believe the Knights wanted Eiri's plan or method to succeed. I believe the Knights understood the importance of the physical world and the role of humans in it. After all, if everyone followed Eiri and transferred their consciousness into the wired, there would no longer be people left of Earth to innovate and improve the physical nature of the wired. At the same time, I believe the Knights recognized the importance of the wired and its superiority to the physical world, in that human beings could exist permanently in that realm as opposed to temporarily in the real world. Maybe the Knight and Eiri both sought a solution to the problem of impermanence, and recognized that the ascension of the human consciousness into the wired was both a positive thing, and an inevitability.

However, both groups had drastically different views on the means to reach this next stage in human existence. I believe Eiri wished to rush it, in that he launched his program and sought followers immediately. The Knights on the other hand sought to delay this process, and didn't want to rush anything.

(cont)
Ultimately this resulted in a power struggle over Lain. Eiri wanted her because of the reasons I mentioned before. The Knights wanted her because she was a messenger of the wired, proof that an existence beyond our human limits could exist out in the wired. Both groups sought to control her and win them over to her side. But, as you said, Lain rejected both of them. Her embrace of humanity was a rebuke to the transhumanist message both side offered. This was something neither side could have foreseen, and is only possible because she had her memories wiped and was allowed to interact with regular people. I guess the Knights thought they could control her through her "father" and that by getting her online fast enough would get her into contact with her wired self which would set off a chain of events that resulted in her realizing her own reason for existing. This would then push her to the the Knights (with the guiding hand of her father) and result in her becomming a spokesman for their message. A figurehead for a shadowy group of hackers, who couldn't be shut down because she existed in two realms. You could kill her, but her wired persona would preach the same message and you could never stop her.

But, wrapping this back to the antitranshumanist theme of the show, I think the reasons she "reset" everything in episode 13 was because of what she had learned. She removed herself from the real world and turned the clock back, stopping Eiri and preventing Chisa's death, but also hiding herself from the Knights so they never learned of her existence. Lain was able to retain her memories of her physical life, and incorporated that into her existence in the wired. How she did this I'm not completely sure of. Perhaps because she recognized that she existed before Eiri had hatched his plan, maybe before the Knights had even formed. She realized she could transmit the knowledge she had now to back then, maybe?

I need sleep. If the thread is up tomorrow, I can read this and try to continue discussing this all. My notes were an episode by episode documentation of what happened and an attempt to explain every detail through the world's lore and plot. My conclusion was basically that Lain was some sort of primordial force related to characteristics that humans all share that attached itself to the wired because it was connecting people to each other. Eiri found her and gave her a body (somehow - suspension of disbelief and science) before he uploaded himself, and Tachibana people caught wind of it and whisked her away to be kept under watch. The rest is as it plays out, but assumes that the Knights are acting on Eiri's behalf in the physical world as cooperative with his beliefs and ultimate goal, but also pranksters and hackers with a no fucks given attitude. They are, however, ready to merge everything as Eiri intends, and the housewife herself remarks that the wired and real worlds are one in the same. Lain by my conclusion is a tragic character because despite her inherent connection to people, she is lonely, introverted, and psychologically vulnerable. Through all of this, I was able to explain all of her hallucinations and some of the seemingly contradictory elements of the plot of the anime. I know it probably seems like a far reach, but I really did have supporting evidence, and it certainly can be interpreted a different way (i.e. Lain is a program, etc.). Perhaps rewatching again will change my mind again, I don't know. I took notes on the game as well, but that was longer ago. I would recommend reading it. It had a deep emotional impact on me and was what really made me feel like Lain was a special sort of series. In general I feel that regardless of whether my conclusion is true or not, Lain remains important because of her longing for human contact and its demonstration of the importance of human to human interaction and commonalities.

I'll try to keep the thread bumped some tonight so hopefully it's around tomorrow.

Anyway, I consider the Tachibana corporation (and by extension the men in black) as a third force in the power struggle concerning Lain. Once they learned of Eiri's project, the fired him, which resulted in him committing suicide. Furthermore, the MiB were tasked with assassinating members of the Knights once they learned of their identities. However, remember that episode where they drove Lain that office building and had her work on a computer? I believe that is about the time they confirmed that Lain wasn't really a real person, but some sort of facsimile or transference of a being from the wired into the real world. Before this, they had some suspicion which is why they were monitoring Lain. Just like Lain, they rejected this idea of transhumanism, though not for the reasons Lain did, which is ultimately why she didn't side with them either.

What makes Lain such a powerful force is that she rejects every one of these sides to the same argument. She rejects Eiri in his vision that the wired is a religious realm with himself as God. She rejects the Knights in their vision of the wired as a extension of the physical world where people can exist eternally. And, she rejects the Tachibana vision of the wired as just a man-made place for humans to visit but not remain forever. Her perspective on the wired is nuanced, being a place for humans to connect and share, but not to remain forever. Her life both in the wired and in the physical world teaches her that humans can have fun there, but they also need physical interactions in order to be complete and happy people. She recognizes that the wired is where she was born, but also that she is not like everyone else. Humans born into the physical world should not give up everything to join her in her existence, but also that they shouldn't be afraid to explore and connect on the wired when/if they want to.

>She wears a fucking bear hat.
fuck you, that's the best thing about her

Not the other Sup Forumsnon
I'd like to hear what you thought about the conspiracy episode regarding the misdirection with the alien. Obviously, the alien represents how Lain sees herself: distant and different. What I found in addition to this was that the alien conspiracy theories were relevant as a means of misdirection from reality. The flow of information can change history if controlled and manipulated. It can also create "knowledge" that is completely false or not based in reality. If information is controlled, people can be controlled. This ties in to what you and other Sup Forumsnon said about early internet, where you can control perfectly the information you put onto the internet, but have no control over the response. By producing alien conspiracy theories, some body was able to lead people to believe that there were aliens, creating mistrust with the government, but opening their eyes about the deep state and what they're capable of.

One last post before I'm off. The conspiracy infodump was mostly red herring. It talks about aliens, then, as an aesthetic choice, an alien shows up in Lain's room. Right afterward, the narrator reveals that Majestic 12 was a forgery, meaning the alien stuff was bullshit to introduce you to one of the names on the document: Vannevar Bush. The alien itself in Lain's world is simply a manifestation of an internet chain message because the wired and real are coming together. ~3 times in earlier episodes, Lain browses the web and we hear people chattering. Among them are two separate instances of someone claiming that a little man in a striped sweater is spying on them in their room. The alien is simply a manifestation of that combined with the aesthetic choice of the grey as related to the infodump just prior.

Well, you're wrong in two ways
1.She's actually unattractive compared to all of the other girls
2.She's a canon dyke

That's kind of why the people keep pushing this half retarded nonsense here. That and the pseudo intellectual tripe that's tossed around in lieu of an actual story or plot that they have the audacity to call DEEP story

anyone has a full webm of this scene? with audio

>She's a canon dyke
She's interested in a boy in the game

>pseudo intellectual
>in lieu of an actual story or plot
Please explain then, if you actually have an argument for this instead of just spouting buzzwords.

lain is for cute

mika is for

PRESENT DAY

I haven't seen autistic lain poster lately. is he daijoubu?

PRESENT TIME

Any mention of Lain lewds should be a reason for autoban. Her and Yotsuba are sacred.

the schizo word salad guy was around 2-3 days ago

a total fake got posted earlier today, it sucked hard

the game takes place in another universe

OP clearly didn't watch it.

>Lain is stinky! She smells like butt!
Stop saying that or I'll get really angry

>She smells like butt!
I don't care. I want to drown myself in Lain's smell.

Dear Lain,
You smeel like a dirty butt! Go take a shower you baka.

Love, user.

Okay, the story is a meandering string of barely thought out scenes ocuring one after with little rhyme or reason.

Also, many dykes occasionally drop panties for dudes that interest them. Said boy she was interested in...
Where was he?
Why did she spy on that girl flicking the bean rather then said boy?
What about that inexplicably idiotic asspull of a ME AM GOD OF "WIRED" bad guy that literally fucking came out of nowhere and how she protected said girl that she perved on?

It was trash user.
The only reason it's so recommended around here is because Sup Forums has a thing for ugly autistic seemingly or full on gay retarded chicks with a lot of power and psuedo intellectual nonsense.
Why do you think these idiots love asuka and that one cunt from madoka.

>autistic seemingly or full on gay retarded chicks with a lot of power and psuedo intellectual nonsense.
>Asuka
out of everything, that's what offended me. how do you even connect Lain & Madoka with that bitch?

>Where was he?
Are you talking about Taro? Or some guy from the game? Either way, she's just a kid. Regardless of what your japanese animes might tell you, 14 year old girls aren't fucking everything that moves. Emotionally she's much younger than her physical age, because even though she's been alive for some time, she's never interacted with real people before. The fact that she even likes someone in that way is probably confusing as fuck to her, even more strange that the feelings of loneliness or happiness.

>Why did she spy on that girl flicking the bean rather then said boy?
The whole subplot revolves around the Lain inside the wired becomming aware of the physical Lain. Since at that point Lain didn't really know how to get online or anything (before she got all that cool computer shit), the Lain in the wired had to do something drastic to get the physical Lain's attention. She figured she could do this by creating some drama in Lain's social life, which would force Lain to see that there is another "her" out there, getting online and fucking shit up. This started her spiral into the wired because she wanted to figure out what the hell was going on, and why all of her friends were telling her that she was online acting like a jackass.

>What about that inexplicably idiotic asspull of a ME AM GOD OF "WIRED" bad guy that literally fucking came out of nowhere and how she protected said girl that she perved on?
That girl was her friend, user. Why wouldn't Lain protect her friend from a crazy dude? Lain was trying to come to terms with her humanity, he connections to others in the real world. She wanted friends, she wanted to be close to other people. She's desperately trying to wrap her head around all of the feelings she's experiencing because she's become aware of who she really is. Life in the real world was changing her in a lot of ways, but she was taking it in stride and doing what she thought was right.

Bitch is gay dude.
She specifically went to watch a female classmate get off and then spent her time around her protecting her in full on yuri kind of situation.
You don't have to have sex to do gay shit and lezzing out is still sex and not a phase..

she dresses like an old granny and compared to everyone else looks like a 14 year old

>bad guy that literally fucking came out of nowhere
If I remember correctly he's introduced in like episode 3. You probably missed it because it's in the middle of a big exposition sequence.

Yes, and...?

show me a japanese 18 year old interested in those two things

Fellas, what the fuck was the entirety of that end section of episode 5? The fuck happened to Lain's sister in the grand scheme of things?

"Having a body odor vaguely reminiscent of liquorice", adjective.
>anise (n.) Levantine plant cultivated for its seeds, which were important sources of chemical oils and flavoring, c. 1300, from Old French anis (13c.), from Latin anisum, from Greek anison.
>PIE root *kere- "to mix, confuse; cook" (source also of Greek kera- "to mix")

that's...interesting

Lain smells lovely

he posted last week I thkn

How do you know?

We are The Knight of the Eastern Calculus
Forgive and forget
We are lego
We have over 9000 electrical impulusis and they are all touching Lain

what REALLY happened to KARL?

>hating lain, evangelion and madoka
brainlet spotted.

>not liking Asuka