H.P. Lovecraft

You're reading the manga, right Sup Forums?

Why should I?

Because the arts is consistently good and it's nice to see an artist's take on the creatures described in the stories.

Yeah, I am. Just finished Chapter 2. It's pretty good. The artist is good, but he's obviously not used to drawing more European styled human art. His backdrops are 10/10 though. And the horrors he depicts are great.

I'm wondering how well his work translates to Japanese though, I can't imagine something like this would take on the same meaning in Japanese. Maybe I'm wrong though;
>I have seen the dark universe yawning, where the black planets roll without aim-- where they roll in their horror unheeded, without knowledge or lustre or name.

>creatures described in the stories
You mean the 'undescribable' ones?

Is the text straight from the Japanese version and then translated into English?

I would if it was translated.

Isn't the Japanese version just the original English text written in katakana?

I am now!

was it fully TL ?

CAN'T YOU HEAR THEM OH GOD IT'S THE RATS MAN THE RATS THEIR ALREADY INSIDE YOU'RE TOO LATE!!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!??!!?!?!?!?!?!

Yeah those ones.

Wonder how it would handle "The color out of space".

Me too.

Yea, I'd really love to see that one adopted. One of my favourite Lovecraft stories.

whats the name of the manga?

Yami ni Hau Mono by Gou Tanabe

thanks

Is this Providence by Alan Moore?

Preddy gud stuff

Cheers for the new years

it was from a one shot to a comic I forgot the name of and was probably written by Warren Ellis

It is Ellis, but not a one shot. It's from Planetary. Might have been a special issue, I can't remember.

Scratch that, it's a Planetary/Authority crossover.

>presented in greyscale zipatone manga
>Color out of space

Memes aside, he actually describes quite a lot of his creatures. If you read At the Mountains of Madness you'll come out with a good idea of what the Old Ones and a Shoggoth look like, but describing things very loosely is a key part of horror. The unknown is scarier than the known.

I thought a katana was a sword.

This isn't technically Lovecraft since it wasn't written by the man but I'd like a manga adaptation of A Colder War. That's one of the darkest and best Lovecraftian stories I've read that isn't written by Lovecraft himself.

Id rather just play Bloodborne

9/10 could be better

>Besides, he added, my constant talk about “unnamable” and “unmentionable” things was a very puerile device, quite in keeping with my lowly standing as an author. I was too fond of ending my stories with sights or sounds which paralysed my heroes’ faculties and left them without courage, words, or associations to tell what they had experienced.
Actual line from a Lovecraft story.

It also ends with the character who scoffed at this device going insane after seeing some monster and spouting:
>“No—it wasn’t that way at all. It was everywhere—a gelatin—a slime—yet it had shapes, a thousand shapes of horror beyond all memory. There were eyes—and a blemish. It was the pit—the maelstrom—the ultimate abomination. Carter, it was the unnamable!”
Lovecraft was actually a pretty funny guy for a paranoid crazy man.

Been reading his complete fiction for about a month, and his dreamscape stories are honestly my favorite thing so far. He does a wonderful job of conveying a character as totally immersed in a blissful fantasy landscapes.

Why do Japs even know who Lovecraft is?

Lovecraft is arguably the most influential horror writer of the twentieth century. That's the sort of thing that crosses cultural boundaries, at least in enthusiast circles.

>yfw not describing the shit out of monsters is considered bad today and sign of poor author who cant describe things properly

That would obviously be Stephen King.
>inb4 influential does not mean successful

I don't really seeing the point of having a semantic debate about this. Point is that Lovecraft is hot shit in horror no matter what country you're from.

It's the same shit with video games.
Some flesh blob with writing tendrils jumps in your face and does the Macarena under a spotlight so you can't miss a single polygon of its model, and they have the nerve to call it horror. Horror is the tension and the payoff, Horror isn't being scared, it's becoming afraid of being scared, living in that tension, feeling like your veins are closing up until it finally drops.

You get these "horror" writers that spit down three paragraphs exhausting every detail of a monster down to the putrid stench of sour sweat wafting from under its demonic foopah, as if anyone that's supposed to be "scared" would wait around to examine the dirt under their fingernails before scarpering. The moment they describe these things so floridly, suddenly you understand them, and you start thinking "Well that's not so scary."
Of course if you don't describe enough you won't understand why it's supposed to be scary in the first place. It's a balance. I just don't think that horror is genre that should be attempted by amateurs.

The real problem is most people try and pass off action drama like it's horror just because spooky monsters are in it.

How faithful it is to the source material?

You should read Lord Dunsany, then. Lovecraft's dreamlands stories were VERY heavily inspired by collections like "The Gods of Pegana" and "Time and the Gods".

I saw it popping up on Batoto a couple weeks ago and even added it to my backlog, but I still have to read it.

Very

>lovecraft
ITT: Men of taste

Great art.

Niggerman when?

yeah lovecraft described things pretty in detail in At the Mountains of Madness, though the language he uses is a little tough for most people I'd be willing to bet. The main thing to keep in mind overall is that what people consider "lovecraftian" and what lovecraft actually wrote or especially why he wrote are very different.

>literally watched Dagon yesterday
>first chapter is Dagon

The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.

If you want good horror in vidya, you should try Darkwood. Although I'll admit the horror sort of passes after the the first 5 hours of gameplay and then becomes more about exploration and bewilderment.

Katana = Japanese sword mainly made for two handed cutting motions
Katakana = Japanese letters along side Hiragana and Kanji (letters inspired by Chinese letters)
The more you know

Surely he was joking

i can't believe hes fucking racist

It's pleb filter.

This way those who do not know the difference will, i like helping

Basically Lovecraft is known for being spooky but not for being adverbally incontinent like he is in englishanese.

Stephen King is an actual talentless hack, though. He's only influential because he follows pretty formulas.

I enjoyed the fact that the necronomicon is straight traced from the army of darkness one.

Army of Darkness manga when?

The repeated using of the word "boring" reminds people that it might be boring.

>tfw lovecraft is taking off again