Fruits Basket Another

So two new chapters were recently released, you can find them here > manga-park.com/title/109 (Pic itself is the splash page of the most recent chapter)

Also the series is both ending and (finally) coming to America in 2018 so discuss, are you excited?

Also general Fruits Basket thread too cause I'm nostalgic as fuck about this series, best shoujo series hands down! (That's non-MG) 2018 is also its 20th anniversary and with the popularity of manga-accurate reboots and revivals of old franchises going on in the anime world is it possible we'll finally see a manga-accurate Furuba anime reboot in 2018?

>tfw animated Rin

Other urls found in this thread:

kotaku.com.au/2017/07/one-piece-getting-a-live-action-tv-adaptation/
emariblog.tumblr.com/post/169071908463/furuba-another-chapter-91-summary
emariblog.tumblr.com/post/169150444228/furuba-another-chapter-92-summary
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

That "s" at the end of "Fruits" will never stop triggering me.

>non-MG
?

Fuck, I didn't even know this was getting scans after I'd heard of it ages ago. I'm going to go reread Fruits Basket and then catch up on Another tomorrow.

Non-Magical Girl, I said its the best shoujo manga that's NOT a Magical Girl one.

>reboots and revivals
Please fuck god no.

Have to pay to read the scans but its a slight price to pay for those who hate waiting.

>tfw splash page hints there's gonna be another trap reveal with previous trap's kid.

In the case of Fruits Basket? Its greatly, GREATLY needed. The anime was shit and the manga deserves to both get more popularity and be reanimated in its rightful form to erase the travesty of the old anime.

This isn't a situation like FMA or Sailor Moon where the anime versions became their own thing and were good enough to stand on their own as another version, the anime version of this truly is shit.

Too bad the people who decide the budget don't care about things targeted to girls. If Sailor Moon's reboot looked like shit then there's no way this one would be any good. If it even gets one.

>is it possible we'll finally see a manga-accurate Furuba anime reboot in 2018?

No but they'll resurrect the Hollywood movie thats been in development hell and turn it into Twilight.

>SM and CCS both getting reboots despite being targeted for girls AND the new CCS anime looking great to boot!

Explain this then.

>Crystal's budget

That's only because Toei did the reboot and Toei is known for being cheap Jews.

Please tell me you're joking...

>Implying Fruits Basket isn't already a Japanese version of Twilight

>"I'm in twu wuv with this baby I don't even know who hasn't even been born yet all because of muh dream!! Have I also mentioned I'm only around 7 or 8?"

The film rights were picked up back in like 2013. It's in development hell along with the Naruto, Akira, SAO and the Cowboy Bebop movies among others.

The One Piece project is apparently out of development hell. Work on a live action American TV series was proceeding as of July 2017.

Robotech is apparently proceeding slowly. The script is reportedly done.

I'd be vaguely intrigued if this film was confirmed to be following the entirety of the manga storyline instead of the anime...

>One Piece as an American LA series

Fucking WHY?!?!?!

>Fucking WHY?!?!?!

kotaku.com.au/2017/07/one-piece-getting-a-live-action-tv-adaptation/

>According to Nakano, the reason why One Piece will be a foreign TV drama and not a Japanese one is that Oda felt like it would be possible to ensure quality and not betray fans. Also, foreign TV dramas have much bigger budgets than Japanese ones.

>Drama
>Making One Piece a drama

I can already tell this is going to suck bad...

What if Toei got ahold of a Fruits Basket remake?

Then the fans are screwed.

If anyone's interested, here's the summary for the first of the latest two chapters: emariblog.tumblr.com/post/169071908463/furuba-another-chapter-91-summary

>reboot

No.

An adaption without Okazaki Ritsuko OP/ED isn't worth at all ;_;

Are you even into this series or did you just comment cause you hate all reboots indiscriminately?

I don't think it's literally a drama isn't that what you call scripted tv shows that are an hour long?

If I get a faithful anime adaptation, I could die with no regrets. Also is that kid Akito’s? Boy or girl? I don’t want to read the chapters because I like read things in one go.

Kid to the right is in fact Akito and Shigure's kid, they're name is Shiki and currently their gender is still up in the air.

I.E. they seemed like a boy though Sawa at first didn't know their gender either but most translators just settled on them being a boy, however with this newest chapter's splash page, its looking like Takaya is going the Akito route again with her own kid.

(Before Akito's gender reveal in the original series, there was a splash page that also had her wearing lip gloss.)

Shigure has psychopathic qualities. No, he is not a psychopath but he definitely has qualities of one and he kind of has to be one considering he knowingly manipulates and endangers his pawns to get what he wants. He has heavily egotistical traits, listlessness (if Akito isn’t involved) impaired empathy and remorse and enjoyment and mockery of other people’s pain and misfortune. All of this was toned down near the end of the manga hinting that he became a better person himself.

Basically child Shigure was bored with everything and he never felt strong emotions before so he felt his life was dull. So when Akito was born, he felt love for the first time and it hit him really hard so he became obsessed with it (and her) and since Shigure does not like to share he wanted to isolate Akito so that she has no choice but to be with him (of course since he became a better person he treats her much more humanely but still).

Anyways he kind of reminds me of Yashiro Gaku who had a similar situation with the MC but Yashiro was much more extreme and had a terrible upbringing which fed his psychopathic qualities turning him into what he is.

Love at first sight having an explanation doesn't make it not a bullshit way to have two people get together anymore kek.

Why do you think everyone in the Pokémon fandom hated Amourshipping while Pokeshipping is still far and away THE most popular Ash ship?

Why did everyone hate the Senshi/Shittenou shipping in Crystal?

Still bad romance writing, still a lazy way to ship and develop characters, ESPECIALLY when that "twu wuv" is the ONLY reason for a character's development, like jesus Christ, ever heard of "becoming comfortable in your own skin and your sense of self?"

Shigure's arc in the manga should have been about him overcoming his disconnect of self and stop trying to find a "meaning" or "purpose" for his existence and just appreciate the present and life itself.

Even Takaya herself admits she messed up with him and admitted in one of her notes that she sort of regretted how Shigure was superficially developing compared to everyone else.

Him needing and finding meaning in Akito's existence really shouldn't have been played straight and instead deconstructed to hell and BACK to help kickstart his development. There are shades of this route (see chapter 111) but ultimately it amounts to nothing and we get babies ever after for Shigure too...

Shigure might just take home the prize for unhealthiest character in the series (barring the true main villain, Ren.) and THAT'S saying something!

Like at least with Akito its clear that it was only her background that fucked her up and we learn later on she's not so different from the characters with other fucked backgrounds such as Kyo and Rin, also she's only invested in the curse cause her mother's abuse made her believe that she's inherently unlovable and her father singing the curse's praises had her feel that that was her only chance of being loved. She was still very much more "Akito" instead of "God" and had a strong sense of self whilst being fully engaged in her life.

Shigure was one of the few lucky Sohmas that was blessed with accepting, non-abusive parents and he STILL turned out that way, also considering he ties so much of his existence to only ONE person (whereas Akito literally doesn't care who she's loved as long as its by anyone, she's not dependent on a specific person for her sense of self) while not being able to feel much of anything else at all about my life has me feeling like his problems are more firmly rooted in the curse itself and he was the one most affected by it and unable to move on in his new human, "non-animal" life compared to anyone else. I wish Takaya developed and touched upon this concept though instead of what we got...

I wish Tohru had more to do with breaking the curse after giving her helping speech. I wonder if the author changed her mind along the way.

Yeah, HOW the curse was broken was also confusing as fuck. (It naturally goes away? It happens once the Zodiac members and God themselves make new bonds and grow as people?)

Also wtf was up with the cat even having a monster form in the end?

Why were the supernatural elements and lore of the series never fully fleshed out or explained?

>Takaya regrets how Shigure developed

Wait, where and when did she say this?

My point is Shigure’s love for Akito is not as shallow as the twilight crap.
It might seem that way when it first started because basically Akito’s birth was a hook but throughout the years it develop to the point that when the curse breaks he is still in love with her.
Furthermore, I don’t think Shigure wanted to fuck her right away. Rather his romantic feelings for her developed.

I think Takaya realized she didn’t have enough space to develop him but also that if he gets a lot of development then it would obvious who the mastermind behind this is because a lot of readers still view him through his persona (lovable funny pervert) he created as a diversion.
Also her editors probably told her to tone it down because she might creep some readers out (and lose the parent friendly universal appeal) since he probably realize that he wanted to become romantically involved with Akito when she was probably just a child. I mean it is heavily hinted but not blatant. While Ren is a villain she just another pawn in Shigure’s game. Shigure is the one driving the conflict in the story so compare to the other main characters his development wasn’t obvious but it was spread out in bits and pieces throughout the entire manga.

It WOULDN'T have been as shallow if it was deconstructed or if we were SHOWN Shigure falling for Akito over the years for HERSELF rather than just cause of the dream, as it stands its a pretty shallow romance, especially when compared to most of the other love stories in the series.

>He didn't want to fuck her right away, his romantic feelings for her developed.

This doesn't make sense, its made apparent that his romantic feelings for her started as soon as he had that dream, obviously he wouldn't want to screw her until he hit puberty, you can have romantic feelings for someone without/before being sexually attracted to them though, romance and sex are not the same.

>Fruits Basket
>Parent friendly
>The manga alludes to a literal sex scene and has Shigure sleeping with his love interest's mother

>Shigure's development wasn't obvious but was spread out in bits and pieces

If he had REALLY developed he wouldn't have still been in love with Akito and wanting to be with her once the curse broke, he would've been at peace with himself and not need someone else to live.

Tohru sped things up by making Akito accept her situation, I think Akito was holding on to it like a lifeline which slow down the process. The curse was already breaking and there were hints: like all the junichi being alive at the same time (which never happened before) and that originally the ones cursed by the dragon were actual dragons and not like Hatori.

Tohru kind of has a reputation of being a Mary Sue so the last thing Takaya would want to do is give Tohru magical bullshit powers that would break it.

Akito’s kid is probably a she then. She looks like Akito’s clone with grayish and bluish undertones like her father’s. Akito looks like her mother’s clone minus the tits. Then again Ren didn’t have any tits until she got pregnant with Akito.

I think she said she wishes she had more space to develop him but not that he was superficial I think that’s user’s interpretation.

Nah, she said he was DEVELOPING superficially (not that he himself was superficial) it was in volume 23 of the of original Tokyopop edition, was in one of sidebars of her rambling on about the characters.

>Akito's kid is a she

I hope so, if she's only going to have 1 child it should be a daughter to bring her development and character arc full circle.

And summary of the latest chapter just got posted for anyone who's interested: emariblog.tumblr.com/post/169150444228/furuba-another-chapter-92-summary

That’s your interpretation, I don’t think Shigure had any romantic feelings for her when she was born. He felt love and that doesn’t necessarily mean is romantic.

Also I didn’t say the manga is meant to be parent friendly. While it was being published, the manga was popular in the US and France and was published in other countries. Takaya and her editors knew it meant money and it would be stupid to blatantly laid out controversial themes that would make a parent bitch about it. For example saying that Shigure slept with Ren is not blatant, having a sex scene would. Shigure starting to blatantly woo Akito when she was a child would rub people the wrong way. Him giving her a flower and kissing her on cheek doesn’t because people would still think is cute (even though is kind of fucked up knowing what his future plans for her are).

>If he had REALLY developed he wouldn't have still been in love with Akito and wanting to be with her once the curse broke, he would've been at peace with himself and not need someone else to live.

This doesn’t make sense at all. This man spent most of his life in love with Akito and planning his life around her. Do you think is realistic for it to suddenly go poof? Also, this is something very important in his development that a lot of people missed: He gives Akito a CHOICE. When he confronts her with his gift, he said it was fine for her to reject him. Old Shigure wouldn’t be able to do that. Old Shigure would try to break Akito until she gives in. He puts aside his feelings and considers hers and humanizes her which is different from the “I don’t care who gets in my way unless I get Akito” Shigure from the early chapters. He would have walked away from her hurt, but he would still respect her choice.

Sure there's no sex scene but its blatantly stated that he slept with Ren, not just alluded to. That's pretty unusual for a manga that's meant for kids and actually the magazine it was originally published in Hana To Yume, is a magazine more for preteens and teens. If Furuba were meant for children or a family-friendly audience it would've been published in shoujo magazines that target younger audiences such as Nakayoshi and Ribbon. I fail to see how fleshing out and developing Shigure's existential crisis would be so traumatizing to kids in a manga that already has the frank discussion of sex in it (not to mention severe abuse) what's so inappropriate about a character's identity issues anyways?

>Shigure giving her a CHOICE was proof of his development

Hmm... I never thought about this, you do bring up a good point. I guess it didn't stick out to me as development because 1: I feel like he was just manipulating her again and knew that she "didn't really have a choice" now that the curse was broken and she was feeling alone and vulnerable, like he KNEW ahead of time what kind of decision she'd make? and 2: As bad as he is/was I never got like, outright literal rapist vibes from Shigure and even this supposed "change" I doubt he'd ever outright FORCE Akito to be his, at least not directly. Shigure is many things but a rapist he isn't.

Still even if you view it as development its not satisfying development for me. Sure he might have become a better person but character development isn't just about becoming nicer but a character fundamentally solving their own personal issues and learning and growing from those for their own inner peace of mind. Shigure's character issue was never just about being a forceful scumbag it was placing too much of his self and existence on another person when he should have been connecting with his life. The fact that he WASN'T able to move on from Akito and learn this lesson and that proves that he didn't change meaningfully

Is manga, stuff like this is not that shocking to the typical Japanese preteen and parent. Not really to American preteens but could upset their parents. Anyways take it as you will. I seen much worse in manga aims for kids. Things are blatant when is detailed to me not mentioned.

No Shigure is definitely not a rapist and he would never go that far because he loves Akito. What I mean about breaking Akito is basically playing mind games and because Akito is emotionally vulnerable she would said yes. So really he knew Akito would be his if the curse were to break. However, I can definitely see old Shigure “disappearing” if Akito somehow rejected him.
Shigure, after his development, was willing to walk away from her if he gets rejected. He would probably be massively hurt for a long time but would eventually learn to move on although I can see him forever alone writing his books and reading which is fine if that’s the lifestyle he chooses.