It can't be helped

>It can't be helped
What does this even mean and why do the Japanese say it so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikata_ga_nai
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It means it cannot be helped. Are you retarded?

NO! WHY DOES EVERYONE SAY THAT TO ME?

仕方ない

SHO GA NYE WAH NAY

TL Note: It Can't Be Helped means It Can't Be Helped

>see situation
>Q: can it be helped?
>A: no

then we move on

Japanese version of "yeah but what you gonna do?"

Éche o que hay

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shikata_ga_nai

*stabs you*

>bleeds to death
Shikata nai.

It means
>Nincs mit tenni.

It is what it is.

No choice.

It can't be helped huh?

At least with "Yeah, but what're you gonna do?" the statement is an open question, giving the option that there might actually BE things to do about the situation, though the speaker might not know them or have thought of them yet..

仕方ない, the 'It can't be helped'/'There's nothing to be done' phrase is a closed statement - the speaker has already given up and chosen to do nothing about whatever the situation is, and to even try anything further would be futile.

This might not seem to be that big of a problem -sometimes it really does seem like there's nothing you can do- except for the fact of how widespread the phrase has become, to the point where its like an actual mindset and mentality in Japanese society. It is over-applied to many, many situations, even situations in which, yes, there really was something that could have been done (perhaps even could have been done quite easily), had only the speaker the determination, confidence, and/or concern to do it.

It is what it is.

yeah but what you gonna do

I like this translation a little bit better than "it can't be helped"

C'est la vie.

The movement of my hips on their own can't be helped

When you want to help, but yo can't

Or when you can help, but don't want to.

Da kannst du machen nix.

>want it to be helped
>get nuked
>twice
>get mad when they suddenly stop caring about that

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Tja

I like the basic idea behind it though. Much like "c'est la vie", it's an expression of acceptance. Sometimes life's just shit, and you have to move on. Even if the Nips take it too far, I'd say it's a nice countermessage to the needless optimism American culture tries to force onto everyone.