Hikaru No Go

I never see this series being mentioned on this board, is anyone else a fan?

Other urls found in this thread:

static.zerochan.net/Hikaru.no.Go.full.453007.jpg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Fucking Korean.

I lost my screencap folder but this is the boyhood of anime.

Also 10/10 ost

static.zerochan.net/Hikaru.no.Go.full.453007.jpg

The opening song was so memorable that I remembered the anime more than a decade later after only watching a few episodes on Toonami Jetstream.

Love it! preferred the manga, anime seems dated now. The chapter where Sai leaves just kills me, as do the following chapters where Hikaru searches for him.

I get a lot of the same vibes from 3gatsu no Lion, because of the similar setting (pro shogi instead of pro Go).

I don't think I had ever been as hyped for a one-on-one battle as when this finally happened.

That was the peak of the series for me.

I've been thinking of doing this threads for a while now, OP. I started reading the manga way back when it was being released on toriyamaworld, started playing the game on internet and local clubs, whole nine yards.

I still love it, and read it regularly. Word thing is, I only got around watching the anime two years ago.

Last ED song plays quite often on my head. Including right now.

because you need to be a 95th percentile autist to enjoy shogi

/thread

If you don't live in asia and you've watched this, you're a 100% certified fresh weeaboo

I read it all last summer. Don't even mind korean opponents but I lost interest when Ochi lost to the boring prodigy from the sticks. Other than that, it went from shounen manga to bishounen manga. Still enjoyed it a lot for most of the run.

People lol to Iisumi's first place at the popularity poll but he was a good character portraying the pressure.

You say it like it's a bad thing...

Tell me again, where are we exactly? Wasn't this place supposed to be subsaharan woodblock discussion collective for unnamed aliens?

>will never get a proper ending

It's just kind of sad.

Yes.
Fuck that ending.

Then again, where would it end? They just go on playing go?

I remember Hikaru no Go being mentioned regularly on Sup Forums some 10+ years ago. Great manga and great anime. The ending was not what most people expected, but it's not bad either.

It was deliberate. The author wanted to show that the search for the hand of god keeps going on forever (or until google develops alphago).

I'm not saying Hikaru should become the No.1 go master although there's a certain appeal in a character climbing up the ranks (which is why Ippo lost a lot of steam at some point) but it could and SHOULD end on some kind of note or point. As it is, the manga ends on some sort of tournament ending after introducing so many tertiary characters and an international scene. Which would work if the thing were to continue but it won't. Heck, Hikaru vs Akira as a fated rematch would have even worked, even an open end could have worked with that.

The manga got canned for whatever reason and that much is obvious. I'd just like to see some sort of conclusion that doesn't sting.
How does the anime end, does it have a better conclusion?

>How does the anime end, does it have a better conclusion?
It ends earlier than manga, just after first proper pro Hikaru vs Akira match. IMHO, it actually works somewhat nicely.

I remember reading chapters of this in Shonen Jump ,ended up reading up the whole thing proper as a teenager. Always one of my favorites. This thread makes me want to go through it all again

It had a dedicated fanbase back then because it was super weeb while still being enjoyable, then the anime made it definitely more noticeable, that's how I really discovered it for example
After Death Note started and people made the Obata connection it gained more traction in the West but it suppose you really need to understand the game to like the manga

I didn't understand the first thing about Go and I still loved the manga. It actually got me interested in the game.

>Aired: Oct 10, 2001 to Mar 26, 2003

Probably why it isn't discussed much.

Brings back good memories though. Still one of the best coming-of-age drama anime and made 'Go' such an intense board game/sport..

>How does the anime end, does it have a better conclusion?

The ending was rather suitable and certainly didn't leave any unpleasant feelings. It was quite appropriate for what the whole story was going for I think - especially emphasising Hikaru's growth as an individual and also not making him out to be some ridiculous destined to be the best type character.

Best boy.
The manga does a decent job of explaining the basics of the game so you're not completely lost.

...or you probably caught it when it aired on Toonami.

There's a lot of older animes that are discussed here, though.

Huh, so I guess it's better to recommend that one to people than the manga as long as you exclude the movie.

Thanks guys, will take notice of that!

I once marathoned the whole anime start to finish in one sitting, somehow.

That's a whole 25 hours of intense Go matches right there.

Yeah, the ending was a bit abrupt. We'll never get Hikaru revealing his secret to Akira. Or a second round against his father.

Somehow, I kind of feel Hikaru owes the truth to both Toyas at some point, considering they got shaken by Sai so hard.

How would he go about proving Sai's existence, especially since he's gone by the end of the series?

...and given they are both super serious types, they would probably keep a secret for him, too.

He doesn't really need to. Koyo sensed a formidable opponents of great experience during both of their matches, and Akira all but figured it out anyway.

>It was deliberate. The author wanted to show that the search for the hand of god keeps going on forever (or until google develops alphago).
They even hinted at Alphago, the author just assumed that it is ten years away. And she was not wrong. 2017 is a few years off from a decade when the anime finished.