Revolutionary Girl Utena

I want to watch Revolutionary Girl Utena and have some questions:
Should I watch the movie afterwards, not at all or maybe even before the series?
I prefer Dub. Is the English Dub acceptable?

Watch the musical

Anime first, then movie. They are separate, self-contained versions of the same basic story, so you could watch the movie first, but the anime first will probably be better.
Don't touch the dub with a 9.5 foot pole, since it seriously butchers some very important elements of the anime.

i'm watching the sub
be prepared to google the shit out of every episode after you've watched them to understand what was really going on since you'll be picking up on maybe 5% of what's actually happening

>should i watch a pivotal entry of the series?
>I prefer Dub.
>can you make all my decisions for me
How does Sup Forums do it

First of all, get a good grasp on what Sailor Moon was and how it was structured, since the show is basically a rebuttal and development of the ideas Ikuhara had around it.

Don't be flustered by the ammount of interesting, detached images from the narrative that act as symbols and enjoy the show for its expressive values. Just have attention, and you will fully enjoy the ending (movie). Most things you will be able to notice them yourself.

Avoid the dub OP. The first season (13 episodes) is very different from the rest is what I'll say.

Series first then the movie and then the manga if you really want to show off.

>I prefer Dub. Is the English Dub acceptable?
While Rachel Lillis is fine as Utena and Sharon Becker is fine, if a bit subdued as Anthy and Chrispin Freeman is delightful as Touga, the choices the script made really left some huge gouges in the story.
In the end, just stick to the sub to get the proper experience.

But the manga is objectively shit.
Don't waste your time.

If you're mostly interested in the psychological aspects of it, be prepared to feel extremely disappointed. If you're a shoujo fan, I hope you like it, user.

>I prefer Dub

The movie is great, but not essential.

The dub is genuinely garbage.

I watched the dub years ago and thought I understood it well, what does the dub leave out?

A lot of the actors failed to understand the nuances of each character and are genuinely bad actors in general.

Don't do this. Sailor Moon is Toei trash with shit writing

Yeah, but Utena spurns directly from it. Its structure cannot be understood without its influence.

Don't watch the movie at all.

No, the two are as related as any random two anime

>Its structure cannot be understood without its influence.
I share a board with these gaping retards

He's right.

Utena pretends to be a formulaic mahou shoujo just like Sailor Moon, and then proceeds to break it's own formula on occasions to draw empathsis towards certain events and character actions.

You don't need to watch all of SM to get Utena- just enough to get a jist of the general structure.

>he's right
You're not right sweetie

That wasn't me.

Literally the only "2" people in this thread that are reddit-spacing are you two. And you're not a new IP either...how do you explain that?

>considering the dub at all
Why? Watch the series first.

Because I was the original poster that said that one has to get the gist of Sailor Moon before watching Utena?

>reddit spacing meme

Don't listen to this guy, or the one before him. Watch Sailor Moon for its own sake, not as something as a prelude for Utena, as it is capable of greatness in its own right and honestly reaches heights of its own that aren't achieved in Utena.

The only ideas in Sailor Moon that Utena 'rebuts' are those that Ikuhara couldn't get away with executing, as otherwise it is one of the most philosophically solid anime there is. Most of what is important about Utena's structure is irrelevant to its genre.

>Utena pretends to be a formulaic mahou shoujo just like Sailor Moon

They are more or less 'exactly' as formulaic as each other, in both good and bad ways, its just that Utena often incorporates more subtle ways of playing with its conventions. Sailor Moon was nothing like most previous magical girl shows anyway.

Are you really that much of an idiot not to know that Ikuhara directed most of the Sailor Moon anime before moving on to Utena?

Where do you folks even come up with this stuff?

>watch a Toei anime
How old are you?

Are you literally retarded? Or do you practice?

I think you're just retarded, user.

Thought so.

The old movie? I love it when the dude jumps over the car. 'Tsu!' Find it hilarious every time. I haven't seen that movie since the early 2000s at least.

I didn't know their was an english dub.

>How old are you?

You're either retarded mentally or baiting. Toei started the whole inconsistent sweat-shop style of anime production, but they're known for using the best talents the industry has to offer and have tons to offer over studios.

Have you even watched Sailor Moon or are you just going on about it based on random episodes you saw as a kid. It's one of the few anime with acting and direction that actually stand up to the caliber of Utena, naturally.

Toei has always been trash user. Hence I worry about your age.

The fuck are you smoking?

poser

Anime first, always.