Ito Junji: Collection

I was kinda excited for this series, but it was a little disappointing for the first episode. They chose to put a huge focus on the weakest manga story that Junji Ito has ever written, for about 20 minutes, then proceeded to take an actually interesting Junji Ito story and shove it in at the end (2 minute length).

Well, I suppose it can only really get better from here, still a little sad they decided to start on such a bad note.

>then proceeded to take an actually interesting Junji Ito story and shove it in at the end (2 minute length).
Hell 'O Dollies doesn't work as anything other than a two-minute afternote, though.

All of ito's work is an overrated garbage

Yeah I was excited for this since its been so rare to get a good horror anime lately but the first episode was more funny than scary
I've never read whatever chapter this was but it didn't exactly get me pumped for the rest of the show
But come to think of it the good ones that I have read have all been way too long to fit into just one 20 minute episode except maybe amigara fault, they could probably do that one justice

The chapter the episode was based off is like 60 pages, which is pretty long for an Ito story.

That Doll story is like 5 pages long what did you expect.

Yeah I think the idea is to take the shorter stories Ito has made and include those in the anime. Definently things like Uzumaki or Tomie wouldn't fit into one episode.

Like you said, I think they will put more of a focus on things like Amigara fault or Hanging Balloons or something.

I really hope they do the principal post.

I know that it was really short in the manga but I was hoping they would expand it a little, just enough so that it would make up for the fuckery of the first 20 minutes. Maybe make it so that it was more like 10 minutes long. Anything to cut down the length of the shitty first portion.

>thinking anything from outside the Collection is getting animated
uhhhhhhhh

That's a horrible idea. If it was going to be a 10/10 split, they should just use a different story.

Yeah I guess. That's probably a better idea, and instead of throwing the Doll story at the end of this one, throw it at the end of an actually good Junji Ito story.

Oh I thought any of his short stories were up for game, not just stuff inside his Collection. I mean, it would be a real shame if they just ignored one of his best stories, Amigara Fault.

Hanging Balloons was in the key art though.

That's in the collection.

Ok, I wasn't sure. Are the rest of those in the collection?

Amigara is included as a short story at the end of Uzumaki.

torrent's up my dudes
let's see how garbage it is and if i don't drop it by episode 1

It’s pretty garbage, they chose the worst Junji Ito story to start it out.

On the bright side, everything from here on out can only be better.

Why don't they just animate all of souichi? That would make a great anime all on it's own, don't ya think???

Objectively false

is Deserter in the House confirmed or do I have to hang myself

>Objectively

>or do I have to hang myself
only if you want to become a giant floating head

Yes, objectively.

He’s shitposting friendo, please ignore.

I think they are doing everything by the most popular stories. So you can hope I guess?

>pretending to be a cat isn't gonna help!
not spooky at all but this show is hilarious

I don't remember, did that actually happen in the story?

I chuckled when he eep'd at the spider

Yes

I enjoyed the Souichi chapters, nice to see them animated

fucking roasties

I see, so all they really did was animate what was in the story. Still, sad to see they chose this for a supposed to be horrifying series.

>fucking roasties
lol wat

Hold on, I thought it was implied we were getting all of Souichi stories back to back, do you think this is not the case?

Pretty good first episode but for the love of me cannot understand why they started with Souchi's curses, its one of the most comedy manga ito's done and barely has any horror

Souichi is cute! CUTE!

That doll story was actually really good. Let's get more of that, less boring stories with no plot twist.

I liked it

The only good Sōichi stories are the adult Sōichi ones.
Kid Sōichi is absolute trash, even the humor is shit, I'd rather have Ito's spooky cat.

>Watching the episode
>End up laughing at the goofy shit more than anything
>"Man, looking back, maybe ito really isn't that spooky, just goofy, haha"
>Those last two minutes
>Remembering shit like Balloons, or any of the stories with actual guro and death in them

It all came flooding back too fast

It was very shit. The Souchi part could have worked if it were cut down to 5 minutes, but even then I'd feel like I wasted my time.

Dropped.

I feel as though they're going to start with the weak / silly things like Souchis stories, and then ramp it up into the progressively more fucked things like Hanging balloons, etc?

Not a great episode, but the 2 minute story at the end still gave me hope that they'll do plenty of his actually scary stories justice.

I mean let's face it, a lot of Junji Itos stories are simply fucking comically ridiculous. Soichi's story is one of those. I'm hoping this story doesn't set the standard for the kind of stories we should expect every episode... but on the other hand it does make it feel a lot more likely that we'll get the fantastically ridiculous stories like A shit to Remember, the hangman baloons story, and especially motherfucking Cat Diary.

they'll probably spread them out. One Soichi now, a few scary episodes, another souchi, a few scary episodes, etc.

I wouldn't mind some of the comically ridiculous ones as well, it would create an interesting mix to randomly throw together some of his horrifying stories like hanging balloons, and then follow it right up with the one about the bodybuilder that's addicted to lifting gravestones in his speedo.

The surrealist mix of the two is really what gives ito it's feel sometimes, I think.

the pleb filter worked

I definitely hope for this or Long Dreams.

Both these stories break Junji Ito's habit of having terrible endings.

Long Dreams was shown in the OP, so that's one of them.

Yeah it was animated okay and the voice acting was great but it put more focus in a story I personally don't like over another, so I will be dropping this show. I thought Sup Forums would like to know.

kys

>progressively more fucked things like Hanging balloons
>horrifying stories like hanging balloons

What? Hanging balloons is goofy as fuck

Yeah I mean, isn't that really what Junji It's all about?

The guy who mixes horror with ridiculousness which creates things like giant hangman balloons, flying space hobos, undead jack in the box men, ancient evil machines from the ocean powered by farting corpses, giant pregnant mosquito women... heck, the list goes on.

Don't want want you're thinking, Deserter in the House has one of the spookiest endings for me

Very goofy as a concept, but it's still one of the most fucked up ones simply because how much death is involved in such an unsettling manner.

Most the world is dead, with millions of corpses just floating in the air attached to sentient versions of their own face. that's /pretty/ fucked up.

Junji Ito makes a lot of unintentionally funny stories, but I've always thought Souchi's are one of the most dulls because some of them are just like Tom and Jerry stuff like the one in which he makes a room smaller by building rooms inside.
Hopefully we'll get overblown stuff like the woman who absorbs beauty soon.

This was hilarious, i liked it

Sorry for being a brainlet, but was the ending just that a completely different person was living there all along?

Yeah man, I don't like Souchi's stories and they began with it, I'm giving 3 episodes to see if they put my story of choice in or I'm dropping it. Nope, not even going to pick it up again even if they end up putting my personally most favorite story.

This would make for a great fish edit.

that's what I said.

Deserter in the House is one of Junji Ito's only truly horrifying endings because of how it creeps up on you. That, and Long Dream's ending is just clever and eerie.

Usually Junji Ito's endings just make you go "What the fuck just happened, why is it over?", but those two stories end just where they lay out a perfect realization.

OK user

>the girl whose face fucking deflated

Thanks for listening to me. My opinion on which shows I pay attention to depending on my very particular wishes on episode content is very important to me.

balloons fucking sucks

No man, they had been living with a ghost for years, and never realized

>It was very shit

Jesus that actually makes much more sense
Spooky shit

No, the ending was: he was dead all along... he killed himself in shame and for all this time they thought they were tormenting a deserter they were actually haunted by his ghost

That shit pissed me off so much

>We have a way to fight back, we can defeat them!
>Haha no fuck you it somehow makes your own face deflate and you die too

I get the point is obviously to be horror, but it made me unconditionally salty how bullshit that was.

I mean, how so? I understand it is a ridiculous concept but that's the point of Ito's horror.

While I personally agree it isn't my favorite, it is a very iconic story that will probably be the finale or something.

I hope Cat Diaries will be the finale, or The Enigma of Amigara Fault

Yeah we can hope user. Maybe our prayers will be answered at the end of all this.

Long Dreams spooked me a thousand times more than Amigara.

I can't get spooked by the goofiest Ito stories. To me, the scariest one is The Bully

Amigara Fault was the first Junji Ito story I read and I read it in my teens when I wasn't as seasoned as I am now to horror. So naturally that's why it's always stuck to me more than his other works. I had nightmares about those disfigured people appearing outside my window for weeks.

How horrible is the Gyo adaptation?

Have you heard people ever talk about it?

Exactly.

if by horrible you mean terrible, pretty

Post Junji Ito characters that are literally you.

How does Ito keep drawing cute girls?

Wont lie, this gave me the willies

he uses a template face

pic related

Souichi is the best thing Ito has done tasteless faggot.

The only thing that comes close is the creepy cat story.

As a major fan of Mary Shelley's original work... Junji Ito's adaption of Frankenstein's Monster has to be one of the most true to source and accurate adaptions ever made. It's a shame it's definitely too long to ever be a part of this anime.

It changes most of the manga, following different main characters than the manga and also changing important events in the story just to force this ultra-cliched setting and it's overall just such fucking garbage. It's actually such a shame too

I mean sure, if it was an entire anime focused on Souichi, maybe it would be a nice comedy.

But it's not a comedy. It is a horror anime, and I expect it to act as such.

That was fucking great. What sort of fags don't like Souichi?

fags who only know ito from the same 3 manga that get posted on Sup Forums

Fuckin Chad

I do, but I'm trying to get a friend into Ito's work and having one of his more comedic manga on the first episode doesn't really help.

Should I watch this or read the manga first?

I have terrible pizza face, this page has always motivated me towards a better skincare routine.

That was great
Souichi a cute

One thing that got me pissed was the hikky MC in the Army of One story. He stayed in his room for years after graduating, some chick that was his classmate shows up, and not only he leaves the room immediatly, but also goes outside for a long time, talks to many different people, even attends a large event, and he's perfectly normal and fine.

Junji It's forte is horror manga. He makes great comedy stories too, but people mainly read his stories because he's a good horror artist.

To have the first episode be one of his wacky and comedic stories rather than one of his scary ones is just bad presentation. I would have loved this episode if it was 2 episodes in as a break from his horror, but as an opening episode it was a bad choice.

>I was kinda excited for this series, but it was a little disappointing for the first episode

It was a great way to divide up the intro.
A somewhat more comedic story with elements of horror underpinning it, and something more fucked up to cap it off. Letting viewers into Ito's work gradually while assuring they understand it's gonna get very visual.