Junji Ito Collection

Was opening the series with Souichi a mistake?

yes

it was fucking boring and Souichi didn't look as creepy as the manga

It was the ultimate pleb filter to deal with normalfags like OP

No

No, 'cause Soichi is /our guy/

As long as the rest is good, it wont really matter

If you want your show to fail by alienating normalfags, then yes, Soichi was a mistake.

>the very title says "hey timmy, it's different stories every single ep"
if someone drops this because of the ep1 story - they deserve it, bully them, laugh at them, poop on their housecat

Imagine the person watching this who has never heard of or read any of the works of Junji Ito but watches seasonal anime and thinks that because the story of one episode in an anthology series isn't something they liked then the rest will be too. That person is a fucking dipshit and they will suffer for life.

Yeah, the pacing of Junji Ito comics is a awful (charming, but awful), and nothing exemplifies it more than Souichi comics.

I'd be surprised if anyone who wasn't already a fan watched past the first episode.

I think there were uzumaki and gyo anime's, did tomie ever get adapted?

I don't think there were ever any anime adaptations of Uzumaki or Tomie, just live action movies. Tomie is going to be part of this though.

I wasnt a fan of the Souchi chapters and I didnt laugh reading the manga but it was hilarious on screen. Ito's art have an ominous feeling to it, even when he intentionally treat it as a joke. So eventhough this is a let down to people expecting a serious scary anime, I'm enjoying it. Sales wise who cares.

The best manga.

I don't think I was much of a fan of his chapters. Most of my favourites probably have a female lead/spook.

No, it was hilarious. I was worried that Ito's works wouldn't work in the anime form (as evidenced by the Gyo disaster), but this was actually pretty great. Souichi best boy.

I thought it was very funny but not scary
Ive read it all though so I know the endings

I didn't find it scary, but for some reason found it kind of cute. Souichi needs to not shit on his family that cares about him so much.

What? I have pretty normalfag tastes and I loved him. It's basically Watamote as a horror comedy.

I dont mind souichi but why the fuck wouldnt you start with his first story? It totally ruins the his buildup. Its not “anti-normie” shit its just dumb.

I thought Watamote was a horror comedy

Yes, though I enjoyed it because it was pretty funny I think a lot of people, most people even, were expecting some pure horror when it aired

It was pretty bad desu, felt like a comedy the whole time. scariest part was the bonus mini-episode about the girl turning into a doll.
Also, have they confirmed an episode dedicated to The Enigma of Amigara Fault? that shit is fucking godtier horror material, it'd be a sin not to remake it in anime form

>It was pretty bad desu, felt like a comedy the whole time.

Because it was supposed to be?

They should've started with Tomie.
I'm literally dying to see that shit animated.

If i watch or read something Junji Ito related (who's world renowned for crafting the spookiest content), i'm not gonna expect a comedy. i expect to see spooky stuff

Ito creates both comedy and horror and honestly Ito's works aren't that scary to begin with. I don't understand unless you've only read his best works that are posted on this board frequently.

I honestly wish the show was animated in grayscale.

lol i actually had no idea he made comedy works too, my apologies. ive read most of the big ones like Gyo, Uzumaki, Hellstar Remina and a bunch of much shorter ones like Army of One and (of course) Amigara Fault. might check out his comedic side now, thanks user

Enjoy his Cat Diary shorts. That shit is golden.

> not knowing about the fluff side of the legendary spook mangaka

Shame.

One of Ito's best stories is a comedy.

Eep!

Souichi was kind of boring at the end but the doll syndrome was actually good.
Do you think they will adapt the "This is my hole" story? It's one of my favorites.

they're only adapting stories from the collection, Amigara Fault (the "thats my hole" story) was not in the collection
Theres plenty of good ones that are in there though

Why did junji have to end soichi? It would have worked great as a serialized manga. It sucks because I think that soichi is probably his best work, mixing comedy and horror.

Junji is actually fucking hilarious.

Oh. I haven't read the collection as a series, I admit, I know most of the stories because of random storytimes.
Didn't know Tomie was part of a collection too, I always assumed it was a single work.

It didn't feel like comedy horror.
It felt like an attempt at horror gone so bad that it's funny.

You really think soichi was supposed to be scary?

Congratulations! You now understand the basics of horror connosieurs.

I don't think Souichi would appreciate being called a filter.

No. But it seemed to me that the "horror" ascpects were supposed to be disturbing, but the animation, artstyle and voice acting completely removed any sense of that.

Maybe that is the way it is supposed to be. I am just saying how the show felt like to me.

> But it seemed to me that the "horror" ascpects were supposed to be disturbing, but the animation, artstyle and voice acting completely removed any sense of that.

Isn't it always like that with anime horrors?

Chosing DEEN was the mistake.

It always interested me that Junji Ito always managed to fit weird romance subplots or have them be the main plot and they don't feel weird or too forced.

It was fun, so it doesn't really matter.

Most likely because he portrays the relationships pretty realistically

Tomie when?

Why do scary anime not exist even though jhorror is so popular

I still don't get exactly what's so scary about that one.

It breaks your expectations by having an ending.

Yes.
>something something pleb filter
>/ourguy/
He is /ourguy/, but the first episode should've set the tone for the rest of the series. An eerie-comedy doesn't do that very well.

As someone with claustrophobia the dream sequence of that guys friend being forever stuck underground had twisted my guts up pretty good

Similar to Hanging Balloons, the threat of what's to come scares me about that one.

A bunch of twisted pretzel people crawling out of the walls sounds somewhat scary to me.

Though I bet the Claustrophobia is the bigger fear involved with it.

I only know Ito by proxy via my friend and I loved the first episode.

It's not about the noodle people coming out of the cracks. It's about being overtaken by some force that makes you do something like those people whose holes appeared on that rock.

is long dream in the collection?

I'm a fucking brainlet so I can rarely get the true horror of things, I get ya' now.

It's on the promo art I think, so should be in.

Apparently next episodes are No 41 and No 84.
Souichi episode was No 68 so i wonder what the next episodes will be.

>read hanging balloons
>suddenly can't stop touching my neck

I hope they animate blood sickness

I made the mistake of reading that after not sleeping for a whole day, I wasn't able to get /fit/ without constant looks behind me.

Can't wait for the grease episode. Hope it will get animated in the most gross way possible.

Then I'm sure you'll enjoy that story about the scarlet sweater.

Could Souichis Adventures be Comedy AOTY?

How come his stuff worked, anyway? Asking for a friend.

soon....