Scanlation thread

I've been seeing a lot of discussion surrounding what the focus of the batoto replacement should be, so why not have a thread to discuss that, as scanlators.

Other urls found in this thread:

diff.pics/1RDiMtCGWlfn/1
my.mixtape.moe/rhjyth.png
jongware.mit.edu/pscs5js_html/psjscs5/pe_ColorReductionType.html
my.mixtape.moe/fycwox.psd
a.uguu.se/tn8COUBXgZj0_015.psd
tannerhelland.com/3643/grayscale-image-algorithm-vb6/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I think ease of access is a must, above almost anything else. People have been going around yelling about how the only reason why people use batoto was that they don't compress image. While that may be true to an extent, I don't think that's the primary reason why it's prefered among scanlators.
The reason I use it was because I can upload the chapter there, using a simple interface, knowing that the chapter will get shared to every other site, and everyone can read it on their prefered platform.

>I don't think that's the primary reason why it's prefered among scanlators
That was the sole reason why I uploaded anything there at all, and why I won't use anything that converts my work into shitty jpgs. I guess that's not a problem for retards who used jpg from the start, and imbeciles who use png24 for b&w scans will undoubtedly switch to jpg in a blink of an eye, but fuck them all.

>stick you around

There already is one you fucking retard.

And it is?

I'm with this nigger. If they compress I won't upload any of my Sup Forums projects there, let alone the ones I work on outside Sup Forums.
Learn to use the catalogue, newfag.

>no "batoto" in OP
welp, should've scrolled

You could've just used the search bar and it would've shown up.

>491 replies
so what
it's almost dead

There's no reason to have decentralized conversation about something like this if you want something to get done, dipshit.

I hope somebody is going to make something like exhentai and with raws too

But this isn't a thread specifically about the website like those,
it's a thread scanlation thread so it'll attract people talking about normal scanlation stuff
and maybe people who actually interacted with batoto as an uploader pointing out what they want from a new website

>If they compress I won't upload any of my Sup Forums projects there

What if only the displayed reader version was compressed and the original files were available via DL?

Seems like it would suite both the streamers who don't care about quality and those who do.

>and maybe people who actually interacted with batoto as an uploader pointing out what they want from a new website
Already in that thread.

I don't care, no compression or it's dead to me.

if you make it a raws site you paint a big red target on your head.

I would consider it.

If you don't live in Japan, probably not really

PS smooth bicubic or Mitchell-Netravali? diff.pics/1RDiMtCGWlfn/1

Or you could just have different quality settings in the reader.

smooth bicubic

Pros and cons? Mitchell-Netravali is clearly doing a better job with the moire.

>png24 for b&w scans
I mostly use the Save as option, what's the problem with saving as png24?

That's dumb. The amount of raws out there is infinite, bandwidth would be expensive and you'd need 10tb minimum to start with.

Manga is black and white, PNG-8 can push you down to nearly 1/3rd of the original file size with no difference in quality.

This, to an extent. I put effort into making my shit look good, I don't want it instantly getting ruined. Plus, people actually know where to read it if it's on batoto.

How about colored pages, png24 is the way to go for them I'm guessing?
>with no difference in quality
I'll be using it in future if there's really no quality loss, learned a new thing.

at some point you'll have to make concessions to realities for the convenience of a centralized hub

Or I can simply decide to quit altogether like others will.

There's some manga where PNG-8 with max colors still isn't enough for it, specifically shit like greyscaled watercolor spreads that appear in tankobons or some web manga that may contain a bit of color that you can't just greyscale altogether or release as PNG-8 because the color part could get weird pixelations like what you see on this one. Go with lower amount of colors and it'd be even more obvious. I'd say about 90% of manga will work with PNG-8 however, and a good chunk of that with just 32 colors.

People usually release colors in JPEG because they'll be huge in PNG-24.

I just tested default export vs PNG8 64c on the busiest page I have and the only difference I'm seeing is that it all got slightly darker. Not entirely sure why.

Batoto didn't need concessions.

And the PNG8.

I'd wager it's because it has less color range to work with so it causes it to use one set of colors for some that were using a slightly but different enough set of greys.

Sounds about right to me. It's so tiny you won't notice it unless you're doing a side by side comparison, so that's the extent of the "compression" I'd be happy with.

Still, it's not like the file was huge to begin with it. Yeah, readers won't notice at all but is downloading 2.63MB per page for chapter too much to deal with it?

For readers, no. For the site, cutting total bandwidth to a third of the original would be an absolute godsend. It's not quite as good as the original, but it's 99% of the way there which is a hell of a lot closer than a compressed watermarked jpeg is. It's a concession I'd be willing to make for a new Batoto.

Also I just noticed the button has writing on it in one panel and no writing on the other.

Yeah, I can agree that it'd be better for an online reading service, I was more thinking of archiving purposes. Also, there's some dust left on here at the top of the page, just in case you didn't notice.

You fucked up something but I don't know what. I took , save it with 64 colors and optimized it further with PNGGauntlet.
Here's the settings I used: my.mixtape.moe/rhjyth.png

Oh fug, I didn't. Thanks.

Both of those are just straight exports from Photoshop. Wasn't aware that program existed, thanks.

jongware.mit.edu/pscs5js_html/psjscs5/pe_ColorReductionType.html

Which one of those is the best idea for manga? I think it might be the greyscale that's causing issues, that's what I was using.

ColorReductionType.GRAYSCALE is actually the good algorithm. I assume you're talking about that because of the script I posted in yesterday's thread? Here's the straight output I got by using it on .

Why is there no private tracker for manga

I can read jap but suck at translation. How do I improve?

what would that solve?

Yeah, I was using that script. Ran it again, got this. Still darker. I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing wrong.

Anime get rolled up into a single torrent in three months, manga get constantly updated for years. It's a bigger pain to keep torrented, plus the files are so much smaller weekly that people are fine with "streaming" it.

Learn English.

That's a very vague question. My initial guess would be that your English skills are lacking; otherwise you'll need to explain exactly in what way you suck at translating.

Upload the psd somewhere.

my.mixtape.moe/fycwox.psd

In my opinion people on private trackers are more inclined to share exclusive content, for example on the U2 anime tracker there are many discs you won't find on public trackers because the uploaders forbid it

I guess maybe on a private manga tracker you would find a few kind souls scanning magazines under condition they can't be leaked

Welp, I can't download it for some reason.

That could good for uploading raws, etc. but like says it might not be the best for translated manga and wide distribution.
In addition, it would cater horribly to series that only have a small following.

Well, that's all fine and dandy if there's an alternative available that suits your criteria, but if there isn't then it's either cope with it or not have anyone else see your work at all.

>I lived under a rock for 2 months because of work
can someone explain what is happening ?

Bato.to is closing down. That's all. The show will go on.

Weird. Any luck with this link? a.uguu.se/tn8COUBXgZj0_015.psd

I'll take an alternative if it's better than nothing, but my point is that the quality was very important.

>but my point is that the quality was very important.
And your point is valid. Quality is of the utmost importance. Sometimes we have to make concessions if it means reaching the audience though, because doing this kind of work purely for oneself never to be consumed by anyone else gets real tiresome real fast.

I've got faith that a working alternative will come around that satisfies those criteria.

Wew. In the PSD the grays are as dark as and if I save to png8/png24 they're still as dark as they were in PS. I don't know what the fuck is going on.

I haven't fiddled with the script, and they're meant to be bulletproof. What the hell.

depending on your download bandwidth speed yes I can always, not everyone has access to high speed fibre, 150KB/s hurts when the pages are 4MB each

Uncheck convert to sRGB.

No difference.

found a brief description of 7 greyscale algorithms
tannerhelland.com/3643/grayscale-image-algorithm-vb6/

I guess you're a nigger.
Also, saving scan full of jpg artifacts is a 10/10 idea.

Goddamn I'm so confused.

And I'm not exactly working with the highest quality raws.

And proofing colors in Photoshop doesn't change anything. I'm out of ideas.

That's hardly an excuse. If I had to guess, you have color management in color preferences on, and set to some shit. Next would be not turning scan to grayscale at no any point. Then it would be you doing something wrong within save for web manager, like keeping sRGB on.

Monitor color, internet standard RGB and document profile previews all look identical. All three are slightly darker than the document is.

I haven't touched any settings related to color at all. Is it this menu? This is my first time using Photoshop in any real capacity, I've got no idea what I'm doing.

I don't think it would be that anyways, because if I export through Export As the colors don't change at all. It's something about the saving for web.

That's the problem, change Gray to sGray.

Try set settings to off, grays to gray gamma 2.2. I would also turn off all conversion and advanced just in case (though check that ask when pasting).

Didn't fix it.

Trying.

So what's the next best online manga reader after batoto since pages are already disappearing off of it?

Still darker.

>ah senpai see my approach
web optimised palette indexing with a positioned dither without the dither it's 20kb smaller

Screencap that save for web window then. Also, you'd better relaunch PS after changing color preferences, and only then try to save.

kissmanga

>something something optimized something something bullshit
>6 colors
>looks like shit

Am I fucking anything up?

Oh yes.

First, change grayscale to selective. Uncheck transparency, change preview to monitor colors, and remove metadata.

Fuck. Change grayscale to _adaptive_.

I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

An 8-bit greyscale PNG is capable of 254 greys plus black and white. Use more colours, the difference in file size will be minimal and the image will look a lot better.

deeper we go
>captcha has been showing some really nice bridges lately

Sanity checked, there's no difference between my >export as and >save for web images now. I guess the color profile changes fixed the disparity, but that's really goddamn weird.

Starting to look like some real 90s shit.

Perfect. Now just add a black bar at the bottom that says "Created using GMAO, download at this link".

indexed file as jpeg zero

Try to open original jpg, convert it to rgb then to grayscale, and then see if it will look the same as you save it through save for web.

>73 KB
>106 KB when saved
>looks worse in browser than saved file
Fucking wizards and their games.

>jpg

or

No change.

Well, no matter how I export it, the end result is the same now. I'll take that as a victory. Thanks all for the help.