Let's talk about this

Let's talk about this.

Mimura was too based to live. I personally believe they should have saved his death for later on... it felt pretty anti climactic never having him and Shu meet up. I also feel like we were robbed of some cool Mim/Kawada moments. I actually would've liked it if the "Ultimate Team" had actually formed at some point... I mean they could still all go off because of their own personal agendas, but would have been cool to get a glimpse of them as a unit.

What would have happened if Kawada had disabled their collars immediately? Would the school be forced to roll out and eliminate them? Would that force the students to work together?

What were your thoughts on Mitso?

At first I liked it, but it kinda jumped the shark when kung fu guy had a Dragon Ball Z tier fight with the psycho guy (who later on also fucking survived a shot on the head)
>What were your thoughts on Mitso?
Hot and crazy is a nice combo.
My favorite chapter is probably the one where all the girls kill each other by accident

I've only read the novel, does the manga have significant differences?

Yeah I felt that the fight was cool until they literally started producing energy balls.... But I like to think it was more just a psychological visualisation. Felt like they didn't know how to end Kiriyama's character so they killed him off like 5 times in a row

The lighthouse arc was rad in my opinion, would have been better if Shu had walked out after like two deaths though

Nah not too many differences per se, just a lot of extended moments and better characterisations.

Kung fu guy was best. He got cheated.

Yeah, I became really sick of Kiriyama before the end. He was an okay antagonist at first, but because he had to keep surviving everything he went from being another kid stuck in a death match to being the fricking terminator. Shrugging off bullet wounds and walking away from explosions unfazed. Death scenes started to go from tense and dramatic to frustrating.

The manga is a lot worse than either the novel or the film. Not sure why anyone would waste their time reading it.

I'm not sure which I preferred.

The manga has a bit more backstory for random side-characters, which I think is interesting for fleshing out the whole class. But it's also more gratuitous and a bit melodramatic at times.

Like how they really draw out the final fight. With Kiriyama tanking fatal bullet wounds and Shuya repeatedly hesitating to take the final shot because he wants him to feel the weight of all the death he caused before he dies, which grants an opening for Kiriyama to start shooting at them again. Whereas if I recall in the novel, Noriko just shoots the bastard, and he instantly dies from it.

>The lighthouse arc
The lighthouse scene is easily the most memorable part of any version of the story imo.

No obvious villains, no punches pulled with a last-minute truce. Just the cruel paranoia of a group of friends realizing that there's a killer among them. Like lighting a powder keg.

I enjoyed Kiriyama, kinda wanted him to win.

Me too. I didn't like anything else about the manga, though.

Why? He's just the OP edgelord, but with less personality.

At some point I just started enjoying how absurd all the shit he did was.
But honestly I wasn't really rooting for him until he killed Mimura. I was expecting Mimura's plan to suceed but after Kiriyama survived that explosion I just knew he would survive until his eventual fight with MC.

I immediately lost interest in Battle Royale when Kiriyama survived that explosion against Mimura. I usually don't give a shit about plot armor but that survival felt unnecessary. How did he get in the car so fast and closed the door?

novel>>>>>movie>>>>>>>>>shit>>>>>manga

Is the manga really that bad?
I have the novel laying around, and plan to read it.

Novel>>>>>> Manga >>>>>> Shit >>>>>>> Movie
The movie is irredeemable aside from Beat Kitano, it's pretty much a crystalization of why book adaptations tend to suck. it's compressed to the point where divorces from the source material and it becomes it's own thing.
Manga is not that bad, but does go a bit heavy on the melodrama at times and it does have it's shark jumping moments, like when Sugimura and Kiriyama start going full DBZ, throwing hadokens and punching each other through some fuckhuge trees. It has great art too, if you can get over the style clash between females and males.
IIRC Tokyopop absolutely butchered the adaptation, to the point where premise got changed, nearly none of the original dialogue survived, and often during narration a completely different characters speaks of different shit than in the original. So, if you live in Burgerland - you're shit out of luck.

>frog boy best boy
Toshinori should have won, not stacey and chad trio.

It's not bad if you can bear cliché characterization, uninteresting main trio and lots of flashbacks.

Why did the manga suddenly turn into Dragon Ball? I mean the scenes were beautiful and it was pretty tense but it really didn't fit with the manga.

I know the novel author loved the manga but I doubt he liked that part.

i love the thot sex scenes

>who later on also fucking survived a shot on the head
iirc, 10% of the people who get shot in the head survive.

I wish he could have killed kiriyama. Even if that meant dying in the process.

I like the idea of a brain damaged genius who literally cannot understand other human beings.
He isn't evil per say. He doesn't have any malicious intents. He just acts the way he acts because of a fucking coin toss.

I would love to see a "what if" manga where the coin toss landed on the other side and he tried to fuck with the military.

Too edgy for me. i dropped after 1st volume

Can't believe I used to think Kiriyama was cool. He was just ridiculously OP with immense plot armor. Fuck that guy.

What he did was still cool.

FUG

This manga was a weird mix of disturbing and absolute cheesiness and I loved it for it, even bought 2 of the bricks.
Tokyopop's butchering only made it better honestly.

The end came out of nowhere. It was immediately obvious that it would play out like that with these 2 surviving, but how the fuck did they go from beings whimps to casually taking over a boat full of armed soldiers and why isn't anyone else in the military/governemnt doing anything about it?

it was good on the age i've read it, if i had read it these days i'd think it s much worse

i wish there was a similar manga in theme, without a terminator in the students.

I liked Shogo well enough.

I don't get the hate this manga garners. All the characters were all well fleshed out and the art was good. The action always kept you interested and delivers the carnage that highschool kids could never unleash but fantastic to read. How almost each side character had some coincidental super skill that you only see in adults made it jarring sometimes that a HS setting felt off. I might want to give this another re-read. My only gripe with it was how the MC took too long to do anything but lament.

KA KA KA KA KACHI DAZE!

I could definitely see Mimura's plan suceeding if Kiriyama was normal.

That's what annoyed me about Kiriyama.

Mimura was the tech genius with an interesting escape plan. Kiriyama was just the plot anvil set to fall on it without any of the same grounded rules holding him back.

Yeah, and he got raped by Tokyopop.
That huge ass three-chapter worth a flashback of his victims after a bullet to the face knocks round some metaphorical screws in his head, but before he get's Mimura'd?
That's actually supposed to be a internal monologue by Kiriyama where contrast himself to his victims and their motivations for fighting and realizes what an enormous piece of shit he was.

Mimura deserves a spin off sequel where he's uploaded his consciousness to a computer and is playing Virtual Battle Royale

Why no anime yet? It would be the greatest thing.

only if they changed up the story a bit

I have no problem with Kiriyama getting the drop on mimura and outgunning him.

But Kiriyama survivng that explosion AND not even being hurt was bullshit.

>Tokyopop
What?

Too gory and sexual.

Yuasa save us!

>Give it to Netflix
>Sell it to normalfags as japanese Hunger Games
>????
>Profit!

The lighthouse bit is what marks Battle Royale as something more akin to psychological horror than stories that take the concept of death-games and make them into plain good vs. evil setups.

The story is perfect though? I guess they could choose to adapt the book which only difference is being shorter than the manga and it doesn't include the arc of the kung fu master.

garbage adaptation. the film is the best version of the story because it cuts out all the mary-sue bullshit and turns the kids into actual people. the hacker kid is still ridiculous but at least he isn't a better hacker than the goverment squad on top of being a star athlete.
the manga is just edgy for its own sake and totally misses the point, and the book is just poorly written.