Hey since I assume that most of Sup Forums uses this batoto to view manga I'd like to know you guys opinion on this :

Hey since I assume that most of Sup Forums uses this batoto to view manga I'd like to know you guys opinion on this :
bato.to/forums/topic/28840-batoto-will-be-closing-permanently
There might have been a thread about this already and I know that it's kinda late news by now but I only get internet access every once in a while.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/NyaaPantsu/manga/projects/1
myredditvideos.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>I only get internet access every once in a while
I would kill myself.

Living the country side weeb life is hard my man.

Just bribe the nearest ISP to build a line. Unless you're completely off the grid.

Already gave 'em a hint by asking "Hey but what about if I gave "away" some money to fix this issue?" , didn't end up working.

We've been discussing this for that past fucking week. Most of the batoto-only scanners dunno what to do. It's actually simple (make a site, even just a wordpress), but most don't wanna do it (dunno why.) I actually offered to host on my site and upload on goddess for a few people that do manga I like, don't have concrete answers yet.

Oh seriously? Thanks for the heads up. Again as I said I wouldn't know since I can't access the internet everyday.

>compression

No thanks.

Hmm interesting looking foward to this "manga.sh"
Nani? What do you mean by compression?

It hasn't been decided yet. And general consensus is to not compress. You're late to the party mate.

In what kind of shithole country side do you live, my village got less than 300 fucking inhabitants and I at least get internet constantly even if it's a shit one.

It's called living a shit hole were most people don't care about technology ( actually are against it ) and having a monopoly on the ISP's that pretty much makes it so they'll never come over here.

Is it really that hard to upload on MEGA and then notify mangaupdates that you published that chapter on your blog?

I know nobody likes compression, but personally I would force conversion to lossless webp for PNGs to be honest to save on bandwidth and improve loading times. We live in 2018, we release h264 10-bit anime and sometimes h265, yet manga still uses ancient obsolete image formats. Webp is not perfect by any means, but on average it's a notable improvement.

There's also FLIF but that has shit or no support in literally everything unfortunately.

>PNG
Are you out of your mind? If you were talking about jpeg files I would have agreed but I don't take hours to make everything pretty so a retarded site make it shit afterwards.
And it's even more retarded considering optimized png8 takes literally less space than jpeg.

Lossless webp, lossless, dammit.

It's 12pm and I haven't slept since yesterday, my bad.
Anyway I still think it's not a good idea because not every browser have implemented WebP natively.

>ewhal
My hopes: gone.

Amish?

恐れるな。ewhal4とカルテルが手を組んだのだ。

only phoneposters would be fucked by WebP so it's a net gain anyway you look at it

File sharing sites often get Gestapo inspections, not to mention some don't really want to spend money on expanding available space on those sites

I thought MEGA encrypted the files on-disk and you could only access them with the key provided in the hyperlink?

For unsupported desktop browsers there are polyfills or you can just show source files indeed, for unsupported mobile browsers either the same or perhaps lossy compression. Most people on mobile will probably use an app anyway and that can easily add support for anything or download whatever version it wants.

But it is work and there are bound to be some implementation hiccups, so your point is of course valid.

But if you share those links then they can get easily DMCA'd.

Suggestions please
github.com/NyaaPantsu/manga/projects/1

M A S C O T S
A
S
C
O
T
S

>mascots
We're doomed to repeat our errors, I see.

Top priority
I added it for meme reasons

They'll have to find them first.

They'll DMCA online readers and imgur albums sooner. Or simply get google to remove those chapters on online readers from search listings (preemptively).

When people say they doon't like compression, they mean they don't like lossy compression. Nobody minds if lossless compression is used, I don't think

>Hey since I assume that most of Sup Forums uses this batoto to view manga
I call it an infestation.

Nothing of value is lost.

>having and using a convenient way of reading manga is somehow bad
Okay broseph, okay, whatever you say.

Manga isn't like videos, dumbass. The actual image is the same as if you view it online or locally assuming the site hosting it doesn't use lossy compression (bato.to didn't/doesn't)

>batoto
>convenient

The UI is pretty bad, but I mostly use it through an Android App, so it's fine.

Well, at least we still have mangafox, mangatown and mangakakalot

So he's closing down the site because he doesn't want to manage it anymore?
Why not hand it over to someone else then?

It was, at least until the mandatory registration, for users and scanlators both. There's a reason for it becoming so popular that it replaced blogs/websites for a sensible chunck of scanlators.

Was a great plan to centralize. Right?

MU should have been more insistent that Groups use a blog too.

That's how it works. (tm)
You weren't here for the nyaa replacement huh?

How would you decide who to give the whole site to if you can't easily ecide who's competent and dedicated enough to maintain it without destroying it? It's not that simple.

Remember how they banned some series for pro-Trump memes? Trump curse strikes again.

>be an autist who freaks out over somebody consuming manga in a reasonable way
>people call you out on it
>"n-nuh uh, YOU guys are the one being autists!"

rest in peaces rapeman scans.

he's trying to sell the name for $10k, why would he just give it away

It's not a plan, it's a natural consequence. Batoto offered a convenient place for users to read, and optionally organize, their manga in high quality. And why scanlators shouldn't go where their public is (especially when batoto made things easy for them)?
Everyone ultimately, on both ends, seeks conveniency, so as I said during the nyaapocalypse the best way to go is not utopic decentralization, but redundancy: make the website easily redeployable by someone else, somewhere else with backups and an open codebase, that's the only actual way to keep both a viable, used alternative to batoto and protect ourselves for sudden websites' closures.

Nyaa is more portable by design.
Scanlation groups are like that too unless they choose not to set up their own blog and just house themselves at an online-reader. Dozens of scanlation groups used Batoto to upload chapters and linked them from their blog, but only the unsavvy chose not to get a free Blog somewhere.

>following importing
all is well

So the guys doing nyaapantsu are on it?

>>but I only get internet access every once in a while.
Just what kind of place are you living in?

Better question is, what kind of people is he leaving with and why?

What's wrong with Madokami?

I absolutely agree with you, in principle. But whether we like it or not there's factually a lot of those little unsavvy groups wich rely on Batoto only, including a lot of our own Sup Forumsnonymous translations.
And while saying screw them is tempting, the "victim" in case less followed manga's translations start to drop like flies would be readers, Sup Forumsnons included, and that's why a full replacement of Batoto is desirable, even if a lot of people from here prefers other methods for reading their manga (I'm the first to say I've stopped visting batoto altogether since the whole registrations' fiasco).

Potato server that barely survives because it's a semi-secret club.

Few scanlators relies directly on it, most just publish their releases on more widely accessible places, and the goddess' scrapes from them. Batoto was arguably the biggest source, in some cases the only source, even, for scanlators lacking a website or a personal blog.
Also, the goddess works because it's relatively less known, it lacks the infrastructure to sustain the loads of a place like it was batoto.

Ah okay, understandable.

Also, is there a ZeroNet/IPFS decentralized alternative yet? I know neither of those have critical mass, but would provide an interesting way of skirting around server costs and DMCAs.

we'll get a 1:1 clone any day now, right?

right?

please tell me i'm right

Was considered by ewhal and Sup Forums, technically it works, but there are currently too many issues with this approach, e.g. reliability/availability of stuff. May still be somehow incorporated some time later into what we'll get, but not without failsafes. Apparently madokami also tried it and it didn't work for them, although I don't know the details.

I might make an ipfs prototype of my own at some point when I'm less swamped with work just as an experimental proof-of-concept thing without any hopes of being practical.

It could be interesting to experiment with it in the long run, but I've seen too many projects destroyed by unrealistic goals right at the start.
I think that anyone that seriously wishes to take batoto's place should first and foremost deploy a working, stable website. Everything else comes later, with due caution.

i-i'm sure we will user

I really, honestly hope you guys learned one things or two about management over what happened with pantsu.
I'd really like the project to succeed this time and not cruble because of retarded priorities and administration.

I'm not related to pantsu or anything else, but what was wrong with management?

With performance issues and downtime at least ewhal was saying he learned a lot from pantsu.

Kissmanga is even better replcement.
on batoto many mangas has missing chapters
and this was very annoying

Performances and downtime were indeed the biggest hinders at the begging: the website was just too unstable, and for a website that plans to attract uploaders this is especially bad.
Also really too much time was wasted on useless crap, sidelining basic features. The mascots were a perfect example of this as much as they became a fucking meme: I mean, at some point the website had speaking mascots while the search engine was left half working.

Wired internet service is a natural monopoly because it is so expensive and politically involved to lay down wires. That is why wired internet needs to be treated as a public utility (similar to phone lines).
Competition won't save you at all. No ISP will spend money placing lines to you unless they think there are enough paying users.
Btw, even when you have multiple wired internet ISPs available, most of the time only one company owns the wires and the others are leasing them (so Comcast etc. gets your money no matter what).
Unfortunately, rather than making wired internet a public utility, we have gone the opposite direction and repealed net neutrality rules. I'm glad Trump defeated Crooked Hillary, but he cannot be forgiven for killing NN.
(Fun fact: Obama also tried to kill NN before pulling a 180 after public outrage.)

Just finished coping my reading list to kissmanga.

I'm most pissed that I have to migrate my whole list and look for a place with new chapter notifications.

Slower updates and no online reader. Other than that - nothing.

I'd also say too many people were given the keys of the project. It happened just too many times that breaking changes were deployed on the main server, causing even more downtime.

(I'll leave out from the story my personal grudge with the absolutely retarded and cringeworthy replies to DMCA proudly published by Miao on the server).

>Crooked Hillary
lol, you tool

Is this the Sup Forums channel?

It's the new desktop thread.

Where is another place to get exposure to new series? I go on batoto every day just to see new releases, it's set up so you can see the cover page/summary very easily so any time something new pops up, you can give it a quick read-over. I don't mind going to multiple scanlator sites to DL manga (even if it's annoying as shit), but I'll really miss the lack of exposure to new series.

bit more work but mangaupdates

I can barely even catch up with my backlog, but strangely amazon japan's recommendations have been a good source for me. That said, I can more or less read moon, so that's not an option for many.